Black Friday HDTV Discussion

len_mullen

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-75-Class-4K-2160P-LED-TV-U750CV-U/55427162

Sceptre 75" Class 4K Ultra HD (2160P) HDR LED TV (U750CV-U)
Average rating:3.9out of5stars, based on203reviews203 reviews
SceptreWalmart # 558274970
$749.99 WAS $1799.99

It is hard to believe that TV was ever $1799, but just look at how long it took for the 75 inch class to fall below $1000 making a purchase even feasible?

I've never seen it over $1k.  It's been $800ish, so this is not heart stopping.  Just the same, 75" for $750 is pretty awesome.  You also get 5% cash back from Discover on walmart.com, so it nets to just over $700.  I have not laid eyes on this set.  Don't mind lack of smartness (have a drawer full of 4K FTV Sticks), but the picture has to be good.  Walmart is good about returns, so an in home audition is not out of the question.

The biggest set I've watched television on was a 90" Sanyo (I think) at BJs Club.  It was hard to get far enough away for the picture to be watchable.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-75-Class-4K-2160P-LED-TV-U750CV-U/55427162

Sceptre 75" Class 4K Ultra HD (2160P) HDR LED TV (U750CV-U)
Average rating:3.9out of5stars, based on203reviews203 reviews
SceptreWalmart # 558274970
$749.99 WAS $1799.99

I bought the 65" version of this TV back on Prime Day earlier this year (for $350 I think?).

I had rather tempered expectations obviously, but for $350...

I will say that streamed 4K media is nice from my seating position of right about 8 to 10 ft away. 

Viewing angle hasn't been an issue in a rather wide room. 

Likewise, lack of smart features wasn't an issue as I picked up a 4K Roku Premiere.

Couldn't care less about the speakers as it's connected to a home theater receiver and some big old school Klipsch KGs.

Weighs less than the 42" Plasma I moved into the bedroom.

My only gripe thus far is that the black uniformity is really, really bad, though I don't notice it unless I'm looking at a really dark image on the screen and even then pretty much only when its a blank screen really.  I'll try and take a picture later and post if I remember.  In regular viewing, like watching football, or movies, or my 12 yr old hooked his PC to it to play minecraft in 4K (from 3 feet away), or my wife streaming Once Upon a Time, it does a pretty darn impressive job.  

Again, as I've preached for years, I think I would be just as impressed from a 65" 1080P, but as I couldn't get one of those cheaper than this one, I guess we'll never know.

RTings hasn't tested Sceptre TVs unfortunately... :(

Edited by Pnambic
  • Like 2

I have seen at least four contenders on the Costco BF ad.

Vizio 70" Class M Series 4K UHD Quantum Color LED LCD TV $699.99

Vizio 65" Class V Series 4K UHD LED LCD TV $399.99

Vizio 70" Class V Series 4K UHD LED LCD TV (11/28 Online Only) $599.99

TCL  65" Class 6 Series 4K UHD LED LCD TV $599.99

Vizio is top of the line out there, but having recently purchased one myself, BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE!!! their Smart TV's come with Chromecast, this means it comes with a ton of preinstalled apps and you have no way to get more. so if the app you want isn't there you are SOL. it does have some nice features you will not find on other Smart TV's but the lack of customizing kills it for me

• Like 2

That is why we have the fire tv 4k and the roku ultra.

Vizio is top of the line out there, but having recently purchased one myself, BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE!!! their Smart TV's come with Chromecast, this means it comes with a ton of preinstalled apps and you have no way to get more. so if the app you want isn't there you are SOL. it does have some nice features you will not find on other Smart TV's but the lack of customizing kills it for me

• Like 1

Ok i have a question, went to BB to get the 58in Samsung and guy told me the LGUM69 60in was a better tv same price so i got it. Tv looks great pic looks great until... Football, picture looks pixelated. Hubby said something about tv not having a return? Why does screen look like crap when the players are running around?

Two reasons.  One is that the screen is not fast enough to keep up with the action.  Other is that the NFL is too cheap to use all HD cameras.  A lot of the long shot cameras are still not HD.  If you want to see how good your set can be, watch a high profile college game.  If it looks like crap, return the set.  If it looks great, send an email to the NFL.

I tried to look at the specs on your TV, but there is no television with that model number.  As far as I can tell, BB does not sell a 60" LG TV.

Edited by len_mullen

Ok i have a question, went to BB to get the 58in Samsung and guy told me the LGUM69 60in was a better tv same price so i got it. Tv looks great pic looks great until... Football, picture looks pixelated. Hubby said something about tv not having a return? Why does screen look like crap when the players are running around?

Is this the one you bought? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-60-class-led-um6900pua-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6362419.p?skuId=6362419

If so, it is a 60hz panel and uses trickeration to get to 120hz. This argument goes back for years and has been debated. 60hz are generally not the best for watching sports and as Len indicated it will also depend upon the garbage (cough, NFL) fed to your set. I use a true 120hz panel with trickeration to get it to 240hz. Worth the extra dime to get all of the perks.

• Like 1

We bought a 58 inch Samsung smart tv at Sams Club Saturday during their one day sale. Paid $389. The picture is beautiful. The only downside is we are unable to use our sound bar with it. When the sound bar is plugged in the audio will not sync and that drives me nuts. Through a lot of trial and error we fixed the problem when we took the sound bar off. Thought I would share in case anyone else has an issue.

We bought a 58 inch Samsung smart tv at Sams Club Saturday during their one day sale. Paid $389. The picture is beautiful. The only downside is we are unable to use our sound bar with it. When the sound bar is plugged in the audio will not sync and that drives me nuts. Through a lot of trial and error we fixed the problem when we took the sound bar off. Thought I would share in case anyone else has an issue.

Did you turn off your internal speakers? Are you using a toslink (optical) cable? Did you set it to PCM?

• Like 1

Did you turn off your internal speakers? Are you using a toslink (optical) cable? Did you set it to PCM?

I think we did forget to turn off internal speakers. I have no idea about the cable or pcm. We are actually fine with not using sound bar though. The tv sounds good. We needed the sound bar for sure with our Vizio tv because the sound from that tv was horrible. The Samsung is good though.

Jay yes thats the one. i went to BB today to ask about it. Turns out i didnt get a good deal. That tv is a entry level tv. Who knew, ‍♀ i didnt mind spending extra but apparently sales guy had no clue what he was doing. I was told exactly what you just said when i went today. I had no idea about motion rates n such. Guess i gotta find another deal now. Sad thing is i didnt even need a new tv just wanted one. Oh well.thxs for your help.

Spend some time absorbing the mountain of solid information on this website: https://www.rtings.com/tv

In particular, https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/fake-refresh-rates-samsung-clear-motion-rate-vs-sony-motionflow-vs-lg-trumotion

Another of my favorites is this one (make sure to check out that red/green/purple/blue chart about half way down): https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

• Like 2

Jay yes thats the one. i went to BB today to ask about it. Turns out i didnt get a good deal. That tv is a entry level tv. Who knew, ‍♀ i didnt mind spending extra but apparently sales guy had no clue what he was doing. I was told exactly what you just said when i went today. I had no idea about motion rates n such. Guess i gotta find another deal now. Sad thing is i didnt even need a new tv just wanted one. Oh well.thxs for your help.

If it was a recent purchase, speak with the manager and see if they can work out a open box return with you. If the sales team misled you, that's on the store. I am not sure if they still work off commission or bonuses but certain weekends you get double if you sale a certain brand. At least that was the way it was back in the days. 

So my brother emailed me and said our mom wants a TV for her bedroom that can be mounted to the wall, so I'm looking for a 32" TV. I saw 2 in the BB ad, one was an LG for $99, and the other a TCL with built in Roku for something like $129. My brother says the Roku isn't a big deal, since their other TV has built in Roku that they don't use. So I'm leaning toward the LG, because I know they make a quality TV, and I've never heard of TCL. But I'm also finding that looking for a 32" TV on sale for BF is like looking for a needle in a haystack, because apparently I'm the only one who wants one, lol...anyway, I know both are only 720, but my brother says that's what she has now, so she's not going to care about that. Anyone have any experience with TCL, and specifically if it would be better than the LG?

If it was a recent purchase, speak with the manager and see if they can work out a open box return with you. If the sales team misled you, that's on the store. I am not sure if they still work off commission or bonuses but certain weekends you get double if you sale a certain brand. At least that was the way it was back in the days.

BB has a 14 day return policy ,they took it back with no problem. Never again will i buy a LG, ill stick with Samsungs.

So my brother emailed me and said our mom wants a TV for her bedroom that can be mounted to the wall, so I'm looking for a 32" TV. I saw 2 in the BB ad, one was an LG for $99, and the other a TCL with built in Roku for something like $129. My brother says the Roku isn't a big deal, since their other TV has built in Roku that they don't use. So I'm leaning toward the LG, because I know they make a quality TV, and I've never heard of TCL. But I'm also finding that looking for a 32" TV on sale for BF is like looking for a needle in a haystack, because apparently I'm the only one who wants one, lol...anyway, I know both are only 720, but my brother says that's what she has now, so she's not going to care about that. Anyone have any experience with TCL, and specifically if it would be better than the LG?

TCL makes some good TVs.  I picked up a 42" TCL Roku last Black Friday and it has been superb for the kids room.

Looking at RTings.com (https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/32-inch), they seem to like TCL (and Samsung) as well.

That said, why limit to 32"?  Space limitation on the wall?  Walmart has a 40" 1080P for $98.

Best buy will also have this one for only $79.99 this BF: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense-32-class-led-h5500-series-720p-smart-hdtv/6374925.p?skuId=6374925

Cheapest I have a seen a 32" as $99 was the lowest price I'd seen until this year.

I'm looking for a LG OLED 55" under $1000.  Don't think that is going to happen after seeing Best Buy ad.  What TV would be comparable?

I've seen the 55" OLED is going to be on sale just under $1000 (I think the NEX ad (military)), but if they have it, be on the look out for others stores to have it at a similar price.