High Holiday Feasts

Gator Pam

I'm not sure I've ever seen a thread for this topic here on GottaDeal, but with Erev Rosh Hashannah three weeks away, I figure, why not?

I'm so glad we're not going straight from Shabbos in to yontif this year; I appreciate hearing about the foods prepared the day of by those more frum than me.

As for me, I'll admit I've gotten pretty decent at doing homemade six strand braided challot. But, I've never done a round one. I'm hoping to correct that this year.

Otherwise, I need to decide if the two festive meals for Rosh Hashannah, and break fast for Yom Kippur will be cheat meals for me. Doing keto will prevent me from enjoying traditional foods such as apples and honey, honey cake, or tayglach.

Edited by Gator Pam

I came across these menu plans for the holiday on another website. If i can get the recipes for some of these dishes that I don't have yet, I may just follow these. Not very keto, but definitely festive.

First night:

Sweet challah with honey

Apples and other symbolic foods(e.g., pomegranate, dates, fish head)

Potato-leek soup (also symbolic, especially with some leek and carrot floating in it)

Glazed corned beef

Israeli style couscous

Roasted peppers and onions

Pumpkin kugel (also symbolic)

Apple cake, coffee/tea

First day:

Sweet challah with honey

Ambrosia

Garlic-wine pot roast

Mini potato knishes

Simanim salad

Fresh & dried fruit, coffee/tea

Second night:

Sweet challah with honey

Apples and other symbolic foods, plus a new fruit

Potato-leek soup

Chicken Wellington

Apple noodle kugel

Sugar snap peas

Pumpkin kugel

Honey cake, coffee/tea

Second day:

Sweet challah with honey

Split pea soup

Baked salmon fillets

California rice trilogy

Mandarin orange lettuce salad

Apple crisp, coffee/tea

• Like 2

I came across these menu plans for the holiday on another website. If i can get the recipes for some of these dishes that I don't have yet, I may just follow these. Not very keto, but definitely festive.

First night:

Sweet challah with honey

Apples and other symbolic foods(e.g., pomegranate, dates, fish head)

Potato-leek soup (also symbolic, especially with some leek and carrot floating in it)

Glazed corned beef

Israeli style couscous

Roasted peppers and onions

Pumpkin kugel (also symbolic)

Apple cake, coffee/tea

First day:

Sweet challah with honey

Ambrosia

Garlic-wine pot roast

Mini potato knishes

Simanim salad

Fresh & dried fruit, coffee/tea

Second night:

Sweet challah with honey

Apples and other symbolic foods, plus a new fruit

Potato-leek soup

Chicken Wellington

Apple noodle kugel

Sugar snap peas

Pumpkin kugel

Honey cake, coffee/tea

Second day:

Sweet challah with honey

Split pea soup

Baked salmon fillets

California rice trilogy

Mandarin orange lettuce salad

Apple crisp, coffee/tea

I SURE hope you plan on sharing some on the recipes on here - my mouth is watering just reading the list!  :gdlicklips:

I'm going to a challah bake in the evening of the 25th. I go monthly, but this one is specifically focused on making round challot for Rosh Hashannah. If the loaf is a sweet one, I'll share the recipe after.

Trying to stick to keto as much as possible, I'll probably sub this cauliflower leek soup for the potato leek soup.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/69635/low-carb-cauliflower-leek-soup/

Edited by Gator Pam
  • Like 2

I think I can reduce the carbs somewhat in the pumpkin kugel, by using Dreamfields pasta (I'm fortunate that it does not cause my insulin to spike), Lakanto maple flavored syrup, and Gnom-gnom's almond flour "graham cracker" crust receipt for the crumble.

http://overtimecook.com/2015/11/17/pumpkin-noodle-kugel/

Edited by Gator Pam
  • Like 1

I definitely think you should arrange to have a few cheat meals to fully enjoy and partake in the holidays, but it’s smart to find some alternative lower carb options like the cauliflower soup instead of potato soup. If you are not used to carbs and you suddenly go hog wild on them you can make yourself pretty sick (take it from someone who learned the hard way).

The menu s sound pretty spectacular and I hope you allow yourself this dietary splurge.

Oh my Goodness!  I can't even wrap my mind about this --  Kosher AND Keto??  On the high holidays ?!?  OTFLMAO!

What challenge!

Martin Luther  (I know,  he is goy.)  once said  that when faced with difficult situations to "Sin boldy.  And believe all the more boldly!"   I think that applies to your situation.  Do heartfelt repentance on Yom Kippur and then share in those wonderful holiday foods.  (And the apples are just so wonderful this year too!!  At least they are here in Michigan!)

I think I'll eat what I can reasonably switch out, such as the cauliflower leek soup for potato leek souo, but I'll indulge in sweet challah, apples, and honey.

For break fast, I'll concentrate on smoked fish and cream cheese, with maybe the teeniest serving of blintz casserole. Although, I do have a decent keto blintz recipe, using the Crepini brand cauliflower crepes at Costco.

• Like 1

Attended an event at Chabad of Kirkland for the first time yesterday. It reminded me of the early days of Chabad UF in Gator Town. We made Honey Cake batter to bake and decorate at home, as well as socialization and a lesson. I had a blast!

May the growth of Chabad of Kirkland equal or exceed what Chanie Berl Goldman have accomplished.

Here are how my honey cakes turned out once baked. The coffee icing may be a bit strong, but we can always avoid eating that, if need be.

post-6463-0-41734800-1569016168_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So, for those of us observing, Yom Kippur starts Tuesday at sunset and goes until an hour after sunset on Wednesday. This is traditionally followed by what is called Break Fast. Not breakfast, but Break Fast.

It's been a few years since I've done a New York deli appetizing spread, and while I don't keep kosher, hence the mixing of meat and dairy dishes, I think I have a fairly low carb compliant Break Fast planned.

I started by making Maria Emmerich's keto bread, which I'm letting sit out a few days before toasting in to bread crumbs. I made chicken bone broth, which I'll be seasoning in to Jewish Penicillin with low carb "matzah" balls. I'll make keto bagels, and serve them with smoked whitefish, home made whitefish salad, and a keto smoked salmon cheesecake, which the keto roll bread crumbs will be used to make the crust. The one questionable keto item is the jar of herring in cream sauce, but I think a few pieces won't hurt.

Here are the recipes I'll be using.

Keto rolls to be made in to crust for savory cheesecake:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread

Savory Smoked Salmon Cheesecake:

http://instantpot.us/smoked-salmon-cheesecake/

Low Carb "Matzah" Balls:

https://asweetlife.org/low-carb-matzo-balls/

Keto Bagels:

https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/chewy-keto-bagels/

Whitefish Salad:

https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/whitefish-salad/

I think I got the appetizing spread keto-fied.

Once the bone broth is finished, I simmer what I'm using for soup by adding additional aromatics such as a sweet potato, parsnip, zucchini, leek, a whole tomato just dropped in the pot, as well as a fresh onion, carrot, and rib of celery. Then I start adding salt, pepper, etc.