How & When do you wrap your gifts?

magickallight

It has ALWAYS been a dream of mine to wrap gifts when they are delivered (99%) or I bring them back from the stores (1%), but IT NEVER HAPPENS! (I would need a dedicated gift wrap room - and that isn't happening!)

SO ... even though I buy from the DAY of Christmas (great deals online) - I usually wind up wearing myself out trying to wrap for 14 people and my fur-baby a few weeks before Christmas (We are talking stuffing stocking for all of them and a total of well over 200 gifts!)  And, yes - I know - buy less - wrap less - but it's a sickness with me! ;)

This year, I decided to break it up ... 1-person per week, and start wrapping in August - BUT - LIFE happened and other things got in the way - and at the point I am at - it is going to wind up with a rush a few weeks prior to Christmas AGAIN!!! :(

How and when do you do your wrapping? Any hints, tricks? How many people do you shop/wrap for?

christmas-presents.jpeg

• Like 2

I already wrapped most of the Christmas presents. My 2 year old kept finding things and wanting it. He won't unwrap without me starting it so it works this year. Turned on Christmas music and wrapped for two hours.

I stick a sticky note on the bottom with either what's in it or when I have older kids I'll number them instead and have it on my master gift list.

And I do fabric bows, add those when I'm ready to start putting presents under the tree once we have it up.

• Like 4

I already wrapped most of the Christmas presents. My 2 year old kept finding things and wanting it. He won't unwrap without me starting it so it works this year. Turned on Christmas music and wrapped for two hours.

I stick a sticky note on the bottom with either what's in it or when I have older kids I'll number them instead and have it on my master gift list.

And I do fabric bows, add those when I'm ready to start putting presents under the tree once we have it up.

You’re my Christmas wrapping shero lol...I would love to have started, but in order to start wrapping, you have to start buying and I definitely haven’t done that yet

• Like 1

I try to start wrapping the first week of December. As my kids get older, the gifts are smaller so it doesn’t take as long. I have a locked closet in our basement so that’s where all gifts are stored.

I never place gifts under the tree until Christmas Eve. I am toying with the idea of opening gifts late Christmas Eve so that DH and I can sleep in.

• Like 1

If I had a ton of people to wrap presents for I would add it to my weekly chores list starting in September or October. I do my laundry during football season on Sunday’s (switch loads during commercial breaks and fold while in front of the TV watching the game) so why not wrap presents then too. Because I only have 5 people and my dog to wrap for I do it while watching a Christmas special sometime in December. Maybe you could try doing it during a tv show, game or movie so you can have a little fun while you work?
  • Like 1

I don't usually start doing much shopping until BF.  I don't make any plans the following day and spend it catching up on sleep and then wrapping what I bought.  Anything that I buy online or in stores after BF, I just wrap the following weekend.

I try to do a lot or wrapping at one time so I don't have to keep dragging the wrapping supplies back out!

• Like 1

I usually try to start wrapping as I buy, but having started buying already this year, the stuff is in my closet just waiting. As it gets closer to Christmas, I'll go shopping and wrap the majority of the things I bought that same day. I do have a habit of leaving the smaller or hard to wrap stuff till the last minute, but am pretty happy with my system.

• Like 1

I wrap in spells. I usually do it when it hits me.... So I might wrap 20% by the first week of Dec just to have something under the tree and whenever I fin time. I usually as wrapping on Christmas eve.... Maybe...just maybe I can get most of it done by Dec 15 and really enjoy the holidays

• Like 1

I used to start wrapping the weekend before Thanksgiving when I was in the parish.  But now that I work in the hospital I wrap Thanksgiving weekend or the weekend after.  I usually set up my folding table  (It's about 5 feet long) and gather everything into that room and then it is just a wrapping station there for about 2 weeks.   Then I just wrap as I am able.  An hour here and a couple hours there.  I usually watch Christmas movies/specials while I wrap.  And at least one cat always has to help. We also use fabric ribbons so the ribboning goes faster.  Mom used to do christmas gift wrapping when she worked at Hudson's so we always make big deal about our packages looking nice. So big ribbons are a must.  We wrap the gifts and anything that is in a box (like cereal, or pasta etc.) so you never know when you open a box if you got a gift or some groceries.  (Ha ha!  Mom was not amused last year when  I wrapped her shampoo to look like wine bottles.)   But the tree looks wonderful loaded with sparkly gifts in shiney paper under all those lights.

You know,  I had a youth group who did Christmas wrapping as a fundraiser.  They gathered at the church and folks brought in their packages and the kids wrapped.  (I think it was no ribbons or just the small stick on kind of bows.)  Anyway, the kids had a lot of fun,  raised some money for their service trip and folks got their packages wrapped.  (This was the same church that did a Christmas Cookie exchange every year.  Everyone made just one kind of cookie and then brought them to the church.  You could then buy or trade for the Christmas Cookie variety your wanted.)   I think that is your answer......join a church or synagogue that has managing the holidays down to a science.  :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I started wrapping early this year - knew I'd be focused on our Disney trip in Sept.  Have a nice stash upstairs all ready to go.  I only have to hide DS's presents - DH never goes up there :)

Going to try and wrap some every weekend between now and Christmas, as possible.  Even if only for an 1/2 hour - every little bit helps.  I can leave the supplies out upstairs which is helpful.

• Like 1

A couple years ago I was able to make a wrapping station in the extra room. Around Thanksgiving I'll set up a table in there, then I can wrap a little at a time. That's nice, because the worst part for me is getting everything out to start, then putting it away. I'll put all the presents in that room as I get them.

I don't like to wrap too early because I like to see what I have. But once my tree is up, I love getting the gifts under it!

• Like 1

Started my wrapping today - not through with the 1st grandkid yet and my back is telling me to stop! :(  I also found a TON of supplies that I am needing to go get ... hope the stores are ready for me ;)

I finally found wrapping paper at Dollar General last week, other then that I've only seen paper at Hobby Lobby. Our Walmart's are still putting stuff out but I don't think they'll have wrapping stuff til after Halloween, at least not the ones I go to.

I have plenty of most things from 90% after Christmas clearance but I forgot to buy a roll of Santa paper.

• Like 1

I finally found wrapping paper at Dollar General last week, other then that I've only seen paper at Hobby Lobby. Our Walmart's are still putting stuff out but I don't think they'll have wrapping stuff til after Halloween, at least not the ones I go to.

I have plenty of most things from 90% after Christmas clearance but I forgot to buy a roll of Santa paper.

Went to Dollar Tree - NO luck - Dollar General did have my paper and gift bags - still no tags, ribbon or small boxes - but at least I can get started. :)

I don't typically have a large amoumt of gifts to wrap so I wait until after my tree is up. 

As for the wrapping, I'm taking it easy this year and ordered another set of the Kringle Express drawstring gift bags from QVC for all my gifts.  I ordered my first set last year to try them and ended up loving the way they looked under the tree so......put gift in, maybe add some tissue depending on what the item is, cinch the sack closed, tie the strings into a bow and done.  My back will be most appreciative of this easy effort, especially after I will have to highly medicate it after putting up and decorating the tree.  :)

• Like 3

I don't typically have a large amoumt of gifts to wrap so I wait until after my tree is up.

As for the wrapping, I'm taking it easy this year and ordered another set of the Kringle Express drawstring gift bags from QVC for all my gifts. I ordered my first set last year to try them and ended up loving the way they looked under the tree so......put gift in, maybe add some tissue depending on what the item is, cinch the sack closed, tie the strings into a bow and done. My back will be most appreciative of this easy effort, especially after I will have to highly medicate it after putting up and decorating the tree. :)

I went and looked up those bags. So cute! And so easy! I may be very tempted. The only thing is, all my wrapping matches my tree theme. And, I already have so much wrapping paper... but maybe I can transition.

• Like 2

As for the wrapping, I'm taking it easy this year and ordered another set of the Kringle Express drawstring gift bags from QVC for all my gifts.  I ordered my first set last year to try them and ended up loving the way they looked under the tree so......put gift in, maybe add some tissue depending on what the item is, cinch the sack closed, tie the strings into a bow and done.  My back will be most appreciative of this easy effort, especially after I will have to highly medicate it after putting up and decorating the tree.  :)

Those bags are SUPER Cute!  If anyone wants to see them here is the direct link on QVC: Kringle Express 52-piece Drawstring Gift Bag Set with Gift Tags

h220223.001?$aemprodgallery$

• Like 1

I went and looked up those bags. So cute! And so easy! I may be very tempted. The only thing is, all my wrapping matches my tree theme. And, I already have so much wrapping paper... but maybe I can transition.

I get you about all that.  I used to try to match my wrapping with my tree theme because there's always snowmen paper but I'm absolutely terrible at the whole bow thing on the gifts and was never happy with how they looked.  :)

I think QVC is missing the boat on not grouping those bags in theme sets and not just a variety of patterns like now.  

I have lots of wrapping paper still, even after selling a handful of unopened rolls at a garage sale recently.  I may go back to the wrapping next year.  Who knows....  

• Like 2