Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

Elderly parents and smartphones....

7 replies to this topic

#1 jcarr492  OFFLINE  

jcarr492

Frazzled Mama

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Dec 7, 2018 - 7:47 am

Not really technology related, but it is as well.  Has anyone ever had the honor of getting their parents or grandparents started on a smartphone? My parents are just amazed with my iphone and always comment they need one of them "gadgets".  But seriously, they've carried a basic flip phone since the beginning.  They are 76 and 75.  My mom's memory isn't that great at times and all I'm seeing is NEVERENDING calls and questions and stop by's at my job needing help with making a call, text, or how to work an app. But I hate being a negative nancy and thought maybe a mini ipad with data plan might be better for them to start with?  This way their grandkids can still face time them and take pictures and try out apps?  Has anyone done this and regretted getting them started on smartphones or ipads?

Julie

#2 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 2,550 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Dec 7, 2018 - 12:53 pm

Grandparents and parents all have iPhones now and no issues using them. They are pretty straight forward and they all adapted pretty easy with minimal questions about them.

#3 giz  OFFLINE  

giz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 Posts
  • Member since 2011

Posted Dec 7, 2018 - 2:45 pm

My mom, who is 90, has had a TracFone off and on for several years. She now wants to get rid of her landline and go with only a smart phone, which I'm concerned about but we are trying for a month. To add to her issues is macular degeneration, making it difficult for her to see the buttons/icons. She does fine making a call by using "ok Google....call xxx". But, sometimes has trouble answering on the first call. She also has a tablet and can check her Facebook and see pictures that are posted.

#4 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 2,550 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Dec 7, 2018 - 5:58 pm

Have you tried turning on some of the accessibility features to make things easier for her to see oh the phone?

#5 nirvana4all  OFFLINE  

nirvana4all

Sentient Program Operator

• 1,393 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Dec 9, 2018 - 10:47 am

Started mine on on androids with no issues.  They do make smartphones by Jitterbug specifically for the elderly population with a support number used to dealing specifically for them.

A computer can only be as smart as the person running it. :crash:

#6 Rellim1960  OFFLINE  

Rellim1960

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 Posts
  • Member since 2016

Posted Dec 10, 2018 - 6:43 am

Siri or similar is a Godsend. She can do most things on voice command. Makes it easier

#7 msyves  OFFLINE  

msyves

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 Posts
  • Member since 2010

Posted Dec 24, 2018 - 1:51 pm

My friend just got her 90yr old mom a grandpad tablet and she loves it. It allows her to call, factime and view pictures that are uploaded. 

#8 momlori  OFFLINE  

momlori

Reading in the mountains

• 1,930 Posts
  • Member since 2008

Posted Jan 10, 2019 - 8:43 am

If they are wanting to learn how to use that is a good thing.  My husband is a technophobe and could care less so moving him to a smart phone has been a nightmare.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users