GottaDEAL 2019 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

Is it just me or does anyone else find the thought of pumpkin spice anything disgusting? It's everywhere this time of year. I just don't get the whole pumpkin spice craze. :yuck:

The only thing Pumpkin Spice flavored thing I've found that I love are Dunkin's munchkins.  Unfortunately for me our store closed but even when they were open they never had these anyway.  I guess I'll have to take another fall foliage tour through the Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire to find them again.  We got our fill that weekend for sure since there was a Dunkin on every corner.  They barely exist in my area.  :(

The Quaker instant oatmeal is pretty good but I just don't eat enough oatmeal to justify buying a box of it. 

• Like 2

The only thing Pumpkin Spice flavored thing I've found that I love are Dunkin's munchkins.  Unfortunately for me our store closed but even when they were open they never had these anyway.  I guess I'll have to take another fall foliage tour through the Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire to find them again.  We got our fill that weekend for sure since there was a Dunkin on every corner.  They barely exist in my area.  :(

The Quaker instant oatmeal is pretty good but I just don't eat enough oatmeal to justify buying a box of it. 

I have to say - I am a FALL flavor fanatic! Be it pumpkin spice, apple cider, (even falling Leaves wax melts - smelling - NOT consuming) I LOVE IT!  I am a Fall/Winter person and the scent and flavors associated with both make me warn and cozy.  Gotta vote for for the Pumpkin Spice!

• Like 3

I have to say - I am a FALL flavor fanatic! Be it pumpkin spice, apple cider, (even falling Leaves wax melts - smelling - NOT consuming) I LOVE IT!  I am a Fall/Winter person and the scent and flavors associated with both make me warn and cozy.  Gotta vote for for the Pumpkin Spice!

I do love a good apple cider smell and the Crisp Fall Leaves wax melts from Walmart.  

• Like 2

Just a heads up for everyone in here: the annual big forum posting contest thread will likely be posted on Monday along with details about this year's BF survival kits and the first chance to win yours (yes, the annual "predict the first ad" contest) :)

• Like 9

Just a heads up for everyone in here: the annual big forum posting contest thread will likely be posted on Monday along with details about this year's BF survival kits and the first chance to win yours (yes, the annual "predict the first ad" contest) :)

If it was your plan to make my week better and better, you have succeeded! :)

• Like 2

For those who purchased Air Fryers last year, here is a really good recipe for steak.  Probably the BEST thing I have cooked in my air fryer to date.

From https://www.myforkinglife.com/perfect-air-fryer-steak-with-garlic-herb-butter/

Perfect Air Fryer Steak

Perfect juicy air fryer steak. 

Ingredients

Steak
  • 2 8 oz Ribeye steak
  • salt
  • freshly cracked black pepper
  • olive oil
Garlic Butter
  • 1 stick unsalted butter softened
  • 2 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
  • 2 tsp garlic minced
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Instructions
  1. Prepare Garlic Butter by mixing butter, parsley garlic, worcestershire sauce, and salt until thoroughly combined. 
  2. Place in parchment paper and roll into a log. Refrigerate until ready to use.
  3. Remove steak from fridge and allow to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes. Rub a little bit of olive oil on both side of the steak and season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.  
  4. Grease your Air Fryer basket by rubbing a little bit of oil on the basket. Preheat Air Fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Once preheated, place steaks in air fryer and cook for 12 minutes, flipping halfway through.
  5. Remove from air fryer and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Top with garlic butter.

How I made it better  :woot2:

First, I simply mixed and served the garlic butter in a small bowl.  It was AWESOME.  I served the rib eye with green beans and grilled potato wedges seasoned with a cayenne pepper.  The garlic butter melted on the steak and ran into the potato wedges and the green beans.  Mouth watering.

I only cooked the steak for four minutes on each side.  Of course, the thickness of the steak will dictate cook time, but my 5/8" steak was pink and warm after preheating for two minutes and cooking four minutes on each side.

• Like 1

For those who purchased Air Fryers last year, here is a really good recipe for steak.  Probably the BEST thing I have cooked in my air fryer to date.

From https://www.myforkinglife.com/perfect-air-fryer-steak-with-garlic-herb-butter/

Perfect Air Fryer Steak

Perfect juicy air fryer steak. 

Ingredients

Steak
  • 2 8 oz Ribeye steak
  • salt
  • freshly cracked black pepper
  • olive oil
Garlic Butter
  • 1 stick unsalted butter softened
  • 2 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
  • 2 tsp garlic minced
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Instructions
  1. Prepare Garlic Butter by mixing butter, parsley garlic, worcestershire sauce, and salt until thoroughly combined. 
  2. Place in parchment paper and roll into a log. Refrigerate until ready to use.
  3. Remove steak from fridge and allow to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes. Rub a little bit of olive oil on both side of the steak and season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.  
  4. Grease your Air Fryer basket by rubbing a little bit of oil on the basket. Preheat Air Fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Once preheated, place steaks in air fryer and cook for 12 minutes, flipping halfway through.
  5. Remove from air fryer and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Top with garlic butter.

How I made it better  :woot2:

First, I simply mixed and served the garlic butter in a small bowl.  It was AWESOME.  I served the rib eye with green beans and grilled potato wedges seasoned with a cayenne pepper.  The garlic butter melted on the steak and ran into the potato wedges and the green beans.  Mouth watering.

I only cooked the steak for four minutes on each side.  Of course, the thickness of the steak will dictate cook time, but my 5/8" steak was pink and warm after preheating for two minutes and cooking four minutes on each side.

May I ask why you oil the basket with the steaks already having oil on them. One of my basic rubs I use when I smoke a lot of beef and have people eating it that don't like any sort of heat is SPG (salt, pepper and garlic) excellent combination. Will have to try cooking in the Air Fryer for some steaks. The air fryer has become my goto for cooking bacon now. :)

May I ask why you oil the basket with the steaks already having oil on them. One of my basic rubs I use when I smoke a lot of beef and have people eating it that don't like any sort of heat is SPG (salt, pepper and garlic) excellent combination. Will have to try cooking in the Air Fryer for some steaks. The air fryer has become my goto for cooking bacon now. :)

Oil is a strong word.  I just spritz some olive oil on the bottom -- ostensibly for flavor, but, mostly, to make sure nothing sticks.  When I take the meat out of the frig, I lightly oil, salt, and pepper one side.  After ten minutes, I do the other.  My toaster oven is a convection oven and I cook bacon on a rack in a tray in the toaster oven.

• Like 1

Oil is a strong word.  I just spritz some olive oil on the bottom -- ostensibly for flavor, but, mostly, to make sure nothing sticks.  When I take the meat out of the frig, I lightly oil, salt, and pepper one side.  After ten minutes, I do the other.  My toaster oven is a convection oven and I cook bacon on a rack in a tray in the toaster oven.

OK was just wondering if you had sticking issues.

Let's be honest these Air Fryers are just a form of convention ovens. :)

My toaster oven is just a plain ol one. :sidesplit

Let's be honest these Air Fryers are just a form of convention ovens. :)

My toaster oven is just a plain ol one. :sidesplit

My toaster oven is one of these...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beach-Black-Countertop-Oven-with-Convection-Rotisserie-Model-31101/35241816

It is AWESOME.  If it had a light, it would be perfect...

• convection
  • rotisserie
  • big enough for two 12" pizzas
  • you can set the timer so the oven never goes off

And it is CHEAP!  I paid less than $50 for mine.

• Like 2

Ten months, ten topics...

• Feb: CES 2019 should give us some ideas about what Black Friday 2019 will be all about.  A review of what they hope we'll buy.
  • March: Best Air Fryer recipes/uses.  Going to try a blooming onion tomorrow.  Jury is still out on this counter top wonder.
  • Apr: In 1999, I took a job in a group called Architecture Technology Organization (aka ATO).  These were all the geeks and those who managed them.  On my first day on the job, I learned about X10.  Within a couple weeks, I was living in a smart home.  Not a lot of X10 in my house these days, but the house is even smarter thanks to Alexa.  Some thoughts on getting started with automation.
  • May: In May of 2010 I fired Comcast.  A lot has changed over nine years.  This is how I would cut the cord in 2019...
  • Jun: Cash back for dummies.  Best credit cards and loyalty programs for people who do not want miles.
  • Jul: Prime Day Primer.
  • Aug: Drying food on purpose.
  • Sep: Televisions.
  • Oct: Laptops.
  • Nov: Time to talk about Black Friday 2019!

I am not an audiophile or a connoisseur of award winning movies, but I do like television.  I was born in 1962 and never knew life without color television.  I watched assassinations, moon landings, and wars as if I were there.  I still remember my first Pong experience.  I did not have a quarter or understand the game, but it was so cool that I could make something happen on a 'television'.

I remember antennas, rotors, and the arrival of HBO.  My sister and her husband lived in Portsmouth New Hampshire which was an early adopter of cable TV.  She would pick us up, grab pizza or McDonalds, and we would settle in front of movies for the evening -- nudity, profanity...must see TV.

So, it's no surprise that I have a LOT of televisions in my home.  I avoided HDTV until they worked out the stretched image thing, but I'm all in now.  I watch the NFL on a 60" 1080p LG plasma.  I own three smaller plasmas.  Nine televisions plus seven Echo Shows (which play TV via a Recast).  I just recycled my last tube -- a 36" Sony CRT I bought at Circuit City in 2008.  Lately, I have been impressed by TCL's Roku TVs (the very best television for a cord cutter).  I have two of these.

This year, I am passively shopping for a good deal on 75-90" 4k set to replace that LG plasma.  Inexpensive, bright, no motion blur, and black blacks.  Cheap.  Then I'm done.  Honest.  

Anyone else shopping for a television this year?  Watching specific models?  Features?

Edited by len_mullen

I am not an audiophile or a connoisseur of award winning movies, but I do like television.  I was born in 1962 and never knew life without color television.  I watched assassinations, moon landings, and wars as if I were there.  I still remember my first Pong experience.  I did not have a quarter or understand the game, but it was so cool that I could make something happen on a 'television'.

I remember antennas, rotors, and the arrival of HBO.  My sister and her husband lived in Portsmouth New Hampshire which was an early adopter of cable TV.  She would pick us up, grab pizza or McDonalds, and we would settle in front of movies for the evening -- nudity, profanity...must see TV.

So, it's no surprise that I have a LOT of televisions in my home.  I avoided HDTV until they worked out the stretched image thing, but I'm all in now.  I watch the NFL on a 60" 1080p LG plasma.  I own three smaller plasmas.  Nine televisions plus seven Echo Shows (which play TV via a Recast).  I just recycled my last tube -- a 36" Sony CRT I bought at Circuit City in 2008.  Lately, I have been impressed by TCL's Roku TVs (the very best television for a cord cutter).  I have two of these.

This year, I am passively shopping for a good deal on 75-90" 4k set to replace that LG plasma.  Inexpensive, bright, no motion blur, and black blacks.  Cheap.  Then I'm done.  Honest.  

Anyone else shopping for a television this year?  Watching specific models?  Features?

Depending on how finances are as BF arrives we are looking for a 50" to 60" to replace a 40". I'm not worried about smart tv features built into it. Most likely I will look for like a 4K LG (very happy with my other 4K LG we have. Next year we will most likely be looking for a 75" to 80" 4K to replace our 70" Vizio we bought in 2015,  still a great TV but we want a slightly larger TV and this one will most likely make it's way to my Father in-law.