GottaDEAL 2019 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

It's funny, the things we remember.  When I was in first grade (or thereabout), my sister was in seventh grade (or thereabout) and she had a Shaun Cassidy album.  I can see that album just like it was in front of me now.  Anyway, I took that album to school for show & tell (my only defense is I must have thought it was really cool, the way my sisters went on about him).  Of course, I didn't tell my sister I took it.  And, of course, a little boy made me mad and I hit him with my book bag. The book bag with the Shaun Cassidy album in it. Oops.  I guess it's really no wonder she hated me when I was little.  :sidesplit

Just download Pluto - I think I will have FUN with it! Thank you so much! :)

Ever watch someone enjoy television on a phone?  Tablet?  Me either.  If my phone had a 55" screen, maybe, but squinting at a two inch screen is not for me.  I have to admit that I often 'listen' to television on an Echo Show, but that is not the same.

There are a couple places where I like to watch television which are not practical locations for a TV.  One is my deck.  When the insects go away and the evenings are cooler, I will sit outside with an adult beverage and watch a football game from time to time.  Another is my whirlpool tub.  I can soak through a movie.

The Recast/FTV Stick combo put my antenna on my deck and in my tub.  I used to content myself with a portable 15" television, but my aren't what they used to be.  This morning I mounted a 43" Samsung plasma on mobile TV cart.  Totally wireless except for the TV power and very portable.

• Like 1

Ever watch someone enjoy television on a phone?  Tablet?  Me either.  If my phone had a 55" screen, maybe, but squinting at a two inch screen is not for me.  I have to admit that I often 'listen' to television on an Echo Show, but that is not the same.

There are a couple places where I like to watch television which are not practical locations for a TV.  One is my deck.  When the insects go away and the evenings are cooler, I will sit outside with an adult beverage and watch a football game from time to time.  Another is my whirlpool tub.  I can soak through a movie.

The Recast/FTV Stick combo put my antenna on my deck and in my tub.  I used to content myself with a portable 15" television, but my aren't what they used to be.  This morning I mounted a 43" Samsung plasma on mobile TV cart.  Totally wireless except for the TV power and very portable.

Len, got a question for you. We live out in the country and are having trouble with the antenna signals on the firecast. We have changed rooms and antennas but continue to have the problem. Do you suggest an outside antenna or something else?

Get the GPS coordinates of the antenna location and PM them to me.  There are lots of free apps for most smart phones that will get this for you.  I'll take a look and see what I think of your situation.  If you do not have a GPS, just send me your street address.

Edited by len_mullen
  • Like 1

Checking in for the month, and not much more to add, but I will say I love watching Pluto.  Buzzr and the Unsolved Mystery channels are my favorite, but have been impressed with the selection of movies lately and waiting to watch Hunter when the channel it comes on shows up.  I've even caught myself watching Wahlburgers, and might even say I'm hooked.  While not for everyone, it is worth checking out for a few days and I'm sure you'll find something you like.

• Like 3

20 weekends until Christmas. Sounds like a good milestone to make a schedule.

Concentrate on 1 person a week.

1 gift a week.

Alternate between a stocking and gift.

In my case, I'd like to make 10 blankets, and although they *could* be made in a weekend, 2 is more realistic. I better get knitting!

• Like 2

Black Friday In August.  Yes.  I said it.  Just picked up a pair of 1-1/4 HP Equivalent Corner to Corner LED Lighting Ultra-Quiet Belt Drive Smart Garage Door Opener with Battery Backup for $75 each.  Loaded up on Top Round Roast at Market Basket at $1.99.  Crazy good deal for people who make beef jerky.  Just make sure the cuts are LEAN!  Marbled is great for shaved steak or a roast for dinner, but no fat for jerky.

Brad who is still in the club?

• Like 1

Black Friday In August. Yes. I said it. Just picked up a pair of 1-1/4 HP Equivalent Corner to Corner LED Lighting Ultra-Quiet Belt Drive Smart Garage Door Opener with Battery Backup for $75 each. Loaded up on Top Round Roast at Market Basket at $1.99. Crazy good deal for people who make beef jerky. Just make sure the cuts are LEAN! Marbled is great for shaved steak or a roast for dinner, but no fat for jerky.

Brad who is still in the club?

Man that’s a really good deal on the beef. Wish I could find it. I need some jerky and I’m not paying what they want in stores for it.

I have had an amazing relationship with Staples for more than 30 years.  They probably do not feel the same way.  Between ink recycling, Discover Cash Back gift cards, and all of their Free-After-Rewards events, I have accumulated more stationary products than I care to remember.  Almost all of my printers have come from Staples.  Most years, Staples was my first stop on Black Friday.  In fact, I got to know a lot of people very well waiting in line outside Staples on Black Friday.

Sitting here in my nest, I am staring at a pair of monitors that came from Staples, using a PC I bought at Staples, and printing to two printers purchased at Staples.  That PC is tethered to 30t of disks -- all from Staples.  When my youngest moves on to campus in two weeks, we will unbox a new HP all-in-one from Staples.  He will take a box of Staples paper and ink accumulated keeping my Staples rewards rolling in.

But the various deals I have enjoyed as a Staples Rewards Member are fading away.  Instead of getting $50 for $25 in Discover Cash Back, we get $30 for $25.  Gift cards are limited to five per purchase.  Coupons and events are all but gone and the exemptions in the fine print hurt my eyes.  No more price matching.  The stores only carry a small selection of the items on the web site.  The web site is awful.  

I am getting ready to upgrade the desktop in my nest.  I found the following parts...

The board has six SATA ports and tw m2 slots.  It comes with Optane which is just a small ssd for OS files.  That leaves one sata port for an optical drive and five more for data.

I have $230 in Staples Rewards and gift cards (via Discover Cashback), so my OOP for the CPU will be $21 ($13.50 after 3% cash back).  Board and memory will cost me $195 ($185 after 5% cash back).  <$200 for a fairly spectacular upgrade to a six year old CPU, more and faster memory, and more efficient computer.

Of course, I looked for the system board and memory on Staples.com (stores carry none of these parts).  The memory was significantly more expensive and the system board was a lesser model for the same money.  CPU was a good deal, but Staples no longer accepts Rewards online and the stores do not stock CPUs.

BTW, I had to chat with a CSR to find out that Rewards are only accepted in store.  Their pathetic web site simply told me the coupon did not exist.

Tomorrow, I will stop at my local Staples to see if they have one of these in stock...

So I can burn some Rewards and gift cards.  I will get my CPU at Newegg or Amazon.  I will stop redeeming my Discover Cash Back for Staples gift cards.  I will have one less reason to get up early on Black Friday.

The 2019-2020 school year starts here tomorrow so that means back to work for me and my anxiety is off the charts. :eyepoppin:gdcry::gdparanoid: I work in the cafeteria at school and there are so many things there that trigger my anxiety. I don't really like it there, but I NEED the insurance (hubby's job doesn't offer it). I don't have the self-confidence I had when I was younger to start a new job. I'm 51 and am years from retiring but am afraid employers are looking for younger employees who will stay around longer. I'm not up to date on computer skills and there isn't really anywhere close for me to do that. I'm taking meds for depression and anxiety and they normally work pretty well, but right now I'm about at my breaking point. I'm not looking for sympathy, just some prayers or good thoughts to get me through this new school year.

• Like 3

The 2019-2020 school year starts here tomorrow so that means back to work for me and my anxiety is off the charts. :eyepoppin:gdcry::gdparanoid: I work in the cafeteria at school and there are so many things there that trigger my anxiety. I don't really like it there, but I NEED the insurance (hubby's job doesn't offer it). I don't have the self-confidence I had when I was younger to start a new job. I'm 51 and am years from retiring but am afraid employers are looking for younger employees who will stay around longer. I'm not up to date on computer skills and there isn't really anywhere close for me to do that. I'm taking meds for depression and anxiety and they normally work pretty well, but right now I'm about at my breaking point. I'm not looking for sympathy, just some prayers or good thoughts to get me through this new school year.

As someone that works in the technology department of my school system... I completely understand. We are in our 3rd week of school, and I'm still stressed. But last week I only cried during the work day twice, and only cried myself to sleep (at 3am!) once, so it's getting better!

Just remember... we gotta FEED the children! Even in technology, we go by that. If the computer goes down, write it down, but the babies have to eat. :) Hugs!

• Like 5

Anyone else have a kid starting college?  My eldest son leaves tomorrow and I'm sooooooooo sad and excited and a mixed up jumble of emotions!

Not yet, 2 more years and dreding it. I have 3 kids that I watched grow up and that I am close that all have left the past 2 weeks. It is hard.

Edited by riven3d
removed the triple quotes

• Like 1

Good thoughts for you - resilience comes in many forms, I hope that it will guide you through this year.

• Like 1

The week before school starts is the busiest week of the year for residential real estate in my area (everyone wants to close on their new home so that their kids can start the school year in the right school district and avoid changing schools). I’ve already put in 8 hours of overtime for the week and it’s only Tuesday [emoji20] On the bright side that’s extra money in my bank account but man I could use a beer right about now.
  • Like 5

I hope you made it well through your first week of school. Good thoughts and prayers for you. And a hug [emoji847] my son has anxiety and every school year he starts with knots in his stomach not knowing how things are going to be.

• Like 1