GottaDEAL 2019 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

Hello & happy June 1st from the IndyCar Detroit GP on beautiful Belle Isle! My buddy Crystal (far right) & I got to say hello to our buddies Jon Bennett (L) and Colin Braun ®, drivers of the #54 CORE Autosport IMSA machine. They qualified 11th but we’re hoping to see them on the podium after the checkered flag falls. [emoji4][emoji106][emoji469]

cc656143eb248f9bc6a37ab800c96425.jpg

• Like 3

June is here already! Holy cow!! I hope the weather settles down some for everyone affected. We have some major flooding around here being on the Mississippi but fortunately I don’t live close to any water myself.

Lord I can't believe it's June already!  How did that happen?!? I need to start brainstorming gift ideas for Christmas this year and I also, once again, need to cut back!  LOL

Every day I wake up to more heartbreaking news from the historic flooding happening in my area.  Fortunately I'm safe but so many are losing their homes, businesses and farmland.  

June already! The warmer weather is finally here, for the most part, but so are the storms. I can't figure out how to post pictures here, but we had hail a little bigger than a quarter here this past week. Then today we were on Interstate 75 coming home from shopping in Toledo and got caught in several bad storms...thunder and lightening, heavy rain, wind and more hail. There were so many cars pulled off alongside the highway it was crazy! Luckily we didn't hit any flooded areas but looking at the radar, the storms keep building behind what we already had so there's more coming.

Ten months, ten topics...

• Feb: CES 2019 should give us some ideas about what Black Friday 2019 will be all about.  A review of what they hope we'll buy.
  • March: Best Air Fryer recipes/uses.  Going to try a blooming onion tomorrow.  Jury is still out on this counter top wonder.
  • Apr: In 1999, I took a job in a group called Architecture Technology Organization (aka ATO).  These were all the geeks and those who managed them.  On my first day on the job, I learned about X10.  Within a couple weeks, I was living in a smart home.  Not a lot of X10 in my house these days, but the house is even smarter thanks to Alexa.  Some thoughts on getting started with automation.
  • May: In May of 2010 I fired Comcast.  A lot has changed over nine years.  This is how I would cut the cord in 2019...
  • Jun: Cash back for dummies.  Best credit cards and loyalty programs for people who do not want miles.
  • Jul: Prime Day Primer.
  • Aug: Drying food on purpose.
  • Sep: Televisions.
  • Oct: Laptops.
  • Nov: Time to talk about Black Friday 2019!

Discover was my first credit card.  Between the cash back, bonuses for spending cash back on partner gift cards, warranty and price protection, lack of annual fees, and outstanding customer service, I am very happy to be a Discover customer since 1989.

When I was going to school on the company's dime, I paid my tuition with Discover so I got my refund before I had to pay the bill.  That was before the internet and electronic payments, so I used to put the check in an envelope and hang it on the fridge with the 'date to mail' marked on the back of the envelope.  One day I get a really big bill with including penalties and interest.  As I am pleading my case to the CSR, I notice a recipe hanging where I usually put the envelope.  Sure enough, the unmailed payment is underneath.  "You're a good customer.  Just send this amount and don't worry about the penalty and interest."  They advertise that now, but have been doing it for thirty years.  I'm getting 5% back on gas this quarter.

Discover, however, is not accepted everywhere.  While 5% back on quarterly promotions is great, 1% on the rest is just OK.  I have an Ally Bank credit card which pays 2% on gas and groceries all the time.  They pay a 10% bonus on cash back if you deposit it in one of your Ally accounts.  I have a PayPal Visa card which pays 2% on everything every day.  I also have an Amazon store card which pays 5% on on most Amazon purchases.

In the last year, I have gotten $430 in cash back from Discover, $190 from my Ally card, $180 from PayPal, and $21 from Amazon.  $821 is a nice start to anyone's BF savings plan.

One store card worthy of mention is Kohls.  If you shop at Kohls, this magic card will get you 30% off sale prices once a month plus free shipping or in store pickup at least once a month.

A lot of people prefer to pay cash.  If you have the discipline to put that cash in a checking account and pay your balance each month, fee free credit cards have a lot of benefits.

• Like 2

Three months out from my spinal fusion surgery. Happy June everyone :)

Oh I've been there..had my back done 22 years ago(L4,L5,S1), luckily had an awesome  surgeon and haven't had a problem since( even had 2 kids) , though when he came out to see my family after he finished  surgery he didn't know how in Gods green earth I had been walking at all my back was so bad. Hang in there  it does get better. In my case I don't really even think about it except for scar and dentist because of screws and plates(profolactic antibiotics needed for dental procedures because of hardware) :loli:

Checking in for June. My how time flies. Time for short family vacay at a beach house and start planning my daughters pool party for her 9th birthday. Man, talk about time flying...can’t believe my little girl is going to be 9! Enjoy the summer everyone and stay cool!
  • Like 2

Yeah, its June.  My Birthday month.  Plus, I survived my daughters two graduations last month. As well as graduating myself with my first Masters. Three more classes after the one I'm in and I'll have my second one.  So, either this Dec. or next May. Depends if I take the fall off.

Energy Shots, Mints, battery charger, hand warmers, poncho, crossword/Sudoku, pens, scarfs, ear warmers, gloves, one of those fold-able seats that folds and goes in your pocket.... still thinking...

We think alike... I was thinking Coffee and hand warmers.

Sign me up for a nice Champion hoodie.  Let's take a survey of designs.  While I prefer a traditional gray hoodie, my favorite GD Ts were dark gray and dark blue.

I would buy a hoodie... I prefer Black or Navy Blue. I don't do grey

Discover was my first credit card.  Between the cash back, bonuses for spending cash back on partner gift cards, warranty and price protection, lack of annual fees, and outstanding customer service, I am very happy to be a Discover customer since 1989.

When I was going to school on the company's dime, I paid my tuition with Discover so I got my refund before I had to pay the bill.  That was before the internet and electronic payments, so I used to put the check in an envelope and hang it on the fridge with the 'date to mail' marked on the back of the envelope.  One day I get a really big bill with including penalties and interest.  As I am pleading my case to the CSR, I notice a recipe hanging where I usually put the envelope.  Sure enough, the unmailed payment is underneath.  "You're a good customer.  Just send this amount and don't worry about the penalty and interest."  They advertise that now, but have been doing it for thirty years.  I'm getting 5% back on gas this quarter.

Discover, however, is not accepted everywhere.  While 5% back on quarterly promotions is great, 1% on the rest is just OK.  I have an Ally Bank credit card which pays 2% on gas and groceries all the time.  They pay a 10% bonus on cash back if you deposit it in one of your Ally accounts.  I have a PayPal Visa card which pays 2% on everything every day.  I also have an Amazon store card which pays 5% on on most Amazon purchases.

In the last year, I have gotten $430 in cash back from Discover, $190 from my Ally card, $180 from PayPal, and $21 from Amazon.  $821 is a nice start to anyone's BF savings plan.

One store card worthy of mention is Kohls.  If you shop at Kohls, this magic card will get you 30% off sale prices once a month plus free shipping or in store pickup at least once a month.

A lot of people prefer to pay cash.  If you have the discipline to put that cash in a checking account and pay your balance each month, fee free credit cards have a lot of benefits.

I love my 2% back from Paypal.  One you didn't mention, though, not a CC is Menards rebates.  If I could just discipline myself to save them all up until BF I could cover what I spend there each year.  I think they should let us have an account with a debit card that they add to the balance each rebate we mail in.  Then they would accumulate.  These paper ones they mail I spend in fear of losing them.  

• Like 1

Yeah, its June.  My Birthday month.  Plus, I survived my daughters two graduations last month. As well as graduating myself with my first Masters. Three more classes after the one I'm in and I'll have my second one.  So, either this Dec. or next May. Depends if I take the fall off.

We think alike... I was thinking Coffee and hand warmers.

I would buy a hoodie... I prefer Black or Navy Blue. I don't do grey

I love my 2% back from Paypal.  One you didn't mention, though, not a CC is Menards rebates.  If I could just discipline myself to save them all up until BF I could cover what I spend there each year.  I think they should let us have an account with a debit card that they add to the balance each rebate we mail in.  Then they would accumulate.  These paper ones they mail I spend in fear of losing them.  

I agree completely.  LOVE Menards rebates! I have a special section of the refrigerator devoted to them so they don't get misplaced!

• Like 1

I tried to stick to credit cards.  Brad once slapped my pee pee for mentioning a cash back program.  His forum, his rules.

• Like 1

Just had a very bittersweet realization. I’m going to be on vacation out of country (and with very limited internet access) during the first 2 full weeks of November. I’m really looking forward to my trip but it just occurred to me that I’m going to miss all the amazing conversations on here as the ads are released/posted. That makes me sad to know I’m not going to be able to actively partake in the excitement on here [emoji20]
  • Like 4