GottaDEAL 2019 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

Nine years.  How much have I saved?  How much have I suffered?  

I grew up with television.  I never remember not owning a color television.  We had cable for most of my life.  I remember looking forward to weekends at my sister's house where they had HBO and we chowed McDonalds to movies featuring nudity and profanity.  Good times.  When I bought my own home, my first call was to the cable provider.  When they told me installation would be $5000 (in 1990), I installed an antenna.  At that time, Pats home games were generally blacked out, so everyone [who cared] came to my home on Sundays as I could pull in a Maine station that was outside the blackout area.

When my first born started kindergarten, we decided it would disadvantage him to not know what Sponge Bob Square Pants was all about, so we hired Dish.  Dish was fine, but as we started paying separately for phone, local long distance, long distance, 'technology', high speed internet, and cell phones, the cost of communications and entertained topped $300/month at my house.  Comcast consolidated everything except my cell service for $99.99/month...for 24 months.

At the end of the 24 months, my bill increased dramatically.  I offered them $149.99 for my package if they guaranteed the price for life.  They countered with a bare bones package for 6 months for $99.99.  I took this as a challenge.  I immediately purchased an OOMA Hub and Scout VOIP hub.  It cost me $205, but home phone has been free since October of 2009.  So, $1.80/month for unlimited local and long distance calling.  I called Comcast and told them I wanted to drop phone service (on my bill at $50/month) and they took it off, but the savings was offset by loss of my triple play discount.  In January of 2010, I purchased a DB8 antenna from Amazon for $90.22.  When we lost power and cable for a week in February, I plugged in my generator and hooked up my new antenna.  We watched the winter Olympics via an antenna.  Good stuff.  When cable came back, I left my television on the antenna.  At the same time, Comcast began their transition to digital.  We had digital televisions, but they started moving the 'good stuff' to channels that required a box.  Local broadcast television was SD without a box.  Within a few weeks, both of my kids asked to have their televisions put on the antenna.  The wife was a holdout -- we had a DVR in the living room and food network was the background music of her life.  By April, she had warmed up to the PBS Create channel and we decided to fire Comcast.

Fairpoint offered me unlimited internet for $49.99/month guaranteed for life.  So, we were saving $100/month off the bare bones post-promotion Comcast price.  In the first year, I spent $1000 on five DTVPal DVRs.  I broke even in the first year, but had DVRs in all three bedrooms, the living room, and the kitchen.  DVRs would be my biggest expense going forward.  I've spent about $3000 on DVRs over nine years -- $333/yr, $28/mo, $5,56/mo/set.  

When we fired Comcast, we did not think we needed a DVR.  The one DVR in the house was loaded with unwatched episodes of Bonnie Hunt and Who Wants to be a Millionaire.  It did not take long for us to fully appreciate the DVR -- pausing for dinner or a phone call, rewinding after a snooze or to re-see something that could not be unseen.  Putting a DVR on each television dramatically enhanced the television viewing experience.  I am very happy with my DVR+ DVRs and TiVos, but I just bought a Recast and a Tablo TV DVR.

Right now, I have DirecTV at a steeply discounted price as a consequence of having an obscenely expensive cell phone plan.  I'm halfway through the promotion and will not likely have the expensive phone plan after that, but, for now, I have a lot of channels including HBO.  I still mostly watch broadcast television and my kids mostly watch Netflix.

If you want to know what I have spent or played with over the nine years, take a look at this page...

https://freetvforme.wordpress.com/my-network/

So, I saved $11,400 and spent $6,000 on infrastructure and toys netting about $50 per month in savings.  Not much savings really, but I would not trade what I have for what I had.  In fact, once when I was researching Comcast prices for a blog post, my wife walked in and let me know she was not willing to give up the antenna for Comcast. 

So, what exactly do you get with an antenna?  That depends on your location and your antenna.  I recommend people interested in broadcast television start at http://tvfool.com/.  A report for you address or coordinates will help you understand how easy or difficult antenna reception will be at your home.  Google the wikipedia page for each station you are likely to receive to see if there are sub-channels.  Pick and point an antenna and you are good to go.

If you want help analyzing a TVFool report, selecting an antenna, or cutting the cord, PM me or respond to this post.

Most people want to know what I would buy if I were cutting the cord right at this moment.  For me, right now, I think I would get an Amazon Recast and a bunch of Fire TV Sticks.  In fact, I have done that.  It's not for everyone, but it works for me.  I have had Amazon Prime for some time.  Mostly for shipping, but I enjoy the streaming media and use a photo library as the background for my Amazon Shows.  I have a Recast, so I am able to watch television on my Shows (I have seven) or any device that is attached to a Fire TV Stick.  The Recast only supports two concurrent streams, but that is plenty as my kids tend to watch Netflix.  Some things I like about the Prime solution...

• Integrate Philo TV for 'cable' channels like A&E, AMC, Animal Planet, AXS TV, BBC America, BBC World News, BET, Discovery, DIY, Food Network, Hallmark, HGTV, Nick Jr., Nick, Lifetime, MTV, History, TVLand, and more
  • Integrate Amazon Channels like Cinemax ($9.99/mo), HBO ($14.99/mo), Showtime ($8.99/mo), and Starz ($8.99/mo) 
  • Integrate Pluto channels
  • Integrate Vue channels

Let's say your family enjoys some of the cable channels, network programming, and HBO for Game of Thrones.  You get a Recast for $200, get a pair of 4k Fire TV Sticks for $100, pay $50/month for an ISP, $119/year for Prime, and $15/month for HBO.  $300 up front and $75/month.  Add Philo TV for $16/month for a $91 'skinny' cable killer.

Most of the cord cutters I know simply run a cable from an antenna to a digital television.  That is FREE TV.  Respect!  If you are thinking along those lines, consider a TCL Roku television.  These are the best televisions for cord cutters.  They get guide data from the broadcast stream (PSIP) so there is no need for an ISP or phone line to get updated guide data.  If you plug a USB stick into one of these, you can pause, rewind, and fast forward through four hours of programming.  If the USB stick is loaded with pictures, music, or videos, you can play those.  If you have come to rely on a smart phone for online activity and are thinking you need to keep your high speed internet for streaming entertainment, think again.  

I'm also a fan of the Tablo TV DVR.  No Prime integration and no OTT integration, but it's a great whole house DVR.  You can get one for $100 at Best Buy right now.  You will need to add a usb disk.

I own five TiVo Roamio OTAs.  Awesome set top box.  I paid $300 for my first three with Lifetime and $200 for the last two.  Great set top box.  The Mini is the best implementation of remote access I have seen.  I wish I could recommend a TiVo, but the only OTA TiVo is out of stock and $500 with 'All In' service plan.  Add a Mini for a second set and you are in almost $700!  As much as I paid for my last three TiVos combined.  Keep an eye on Woot for deals on the Roamio/OTA and previous gen Minis.

What are your thoughts on Roku vs. Fire Sticks?  I have both. 

I have side-loaded Kodi onto the Fire Stick to get the "free everything", but the trouble I encountered with that is it is more of a hobby.  It constantly broke, or it would lag.  It was difficult to watch sometimes from all of the buffering. I would tweak it to get it working good, then a few days later I would need to tweak it again.  It seemed every few months I would have to try a different app.  It was too difficult to keep going.

For everyone (most people) who will be using it without side-loading anything, the Fire Stick seems to be rather limited.  It streams from Amazon great.  You can do Netflix on it.  There are a handful of other apps you can easily load.  That's about it.

The Roku is a different animal.  It has many free channels you can easily load.  It even has "hidden" channels that you can research if you are interested in "more".  There doesn't seem to be any legal issues with any of the channels I have dealt with, unlike the side-loaded apps on the Fire Stick. 

The Roku has the Roku channel.  It also has Netflix, Hulu, HBO, ESPN, and, yes, even Amazon.  It has the typical subscription channels.  It even offers a few exclusive ones.  My wife appreciates TFC, one of the exclusive channels.  So with the Roku, you can get EVERYTHING you can with the Fire Stick, plus much, much more without the need to constantly tweak it.  It just works. 

What are your thoughts?

What are your thoughts on Roku vs. Fire Sticks?  I have both.

I have both. I don't love either. Roku has too many products and too few programmers. Once a device falls from Flagship status, it is an afterthought. I have found that every new software update leads to a period of instability. Roku makes things worse by forcing updates. I like the current 4K Fire TV stick. They got CEC right and the stick is fast. Still don't love it. 

I have side-loaded Kodi onto the Fire Stick to get the "free everything", but the trouble I encountered with that is it is more of a hobby.  It constantly broke, or it would lag.  It was difficult to watch sometimes from all of the buffering. I would tweak it to get it working good, then a few days later I would need to tweak it again.  It seemed every few months I would have to try a different app.  It was too difficult to keep going.

Amen. My opinion on OTT all around is that everything is always a little bit broken. Great for hobbyists, but low WAF. 

For everyone (most people) who will be using it without side-loading anything, the Fire Stick seems to be rather limited.  It streams from Amazon great.  You can do Netflix on it.  There are a handful of other apps you can easily load.  That's about it.

I'm preparing a blog post on this idea. Nothing in the Amazon ecosystem thrills me, but I like the whole of it a lot. I'll link to the post when it goes up. 

The Roku is a different animal.  It has many free channels you can easily load.  It even has "hidden" channels that you can research if you are interested in "more".  There doesn't seem to be any legal issues with any of the channels I have dealt with, unlike the side-loaded apps on the Fire Stick.

Can't agree with this. Check this out. 

The Roku has the Roku channel.  It also has Netflix, Hulu, HBO, ESPN, and, yes, even Amazon.  It has the typical subscription channels.  It even offers a few exclusive ones.  My wife appreciates TFC, one of the exclusive channels.  So with the Roku, you can get EVERYTHING you can with the Fire Stick, plus much, much more without the need to constantly tweak it.  It just works.

I like the Roku channel.  It doesn't have local channels or a DVR.  With the Recast and the ability to integrate Cinemax ($9.99/mo), HBO ($14.99/mo), Showtime ($8.99/mo), and Starz ($8.99/mo) plus many other channels Amazon is really providing a la carte options.  Vue and Philo skinny cable packages can be integrated into the Fire TV grid style guide as well.

What are your thoughts?

I'm no Roku fan.  (Been banned from their forums four times, as I recall.)  It's strength (independence) it also it's weakness.  Things could be better now.  The last Roku I bought was a Roku 2XS.  Had a bunch.  Awesome except when they weren't.  No fan of Amazon either, but for $400 up front and $70/month, you can build something special with the Prime Ecosystem.  

• Like 2

And, of course, Air Fryer trials and tribulations  :gd_shake:

Second try at fries tonight.  Sliced them myself, blanched, towel dried, and air fried.  I am encouraged -- fries were crispy and tasty.  Far from perfect.  Much work to do!

Cajun French Fries with Creole Sauce
Serves 4 

Ingredients:
2 large russet potatoes (about 1¼ pounds), peeled and cut into ½-inch sticks
2 teaspoons vegetable or canola oil 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning (see recipe below) 

Cajun Seasoning:
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon garlic
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon black pepper 

Creole Dipping Sauce
½ cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon coarse brown mustard
2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon lemon juice 

Directions
  1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil in a large saucepan while you peel and cut the potatoes. Blanch the potatoes in the boiling salted water for 4 minutes while you pre-heat the air fryer to 400ºF. Strain the potatoes and rinse them with cold water. Dry them well with a clean kitchen towel.
  2. Toss the dried potato sticks gently with the oil and place them in the air fryer basket. Air-fry for 25 minutes, shaking the basket a few times while the fries cook to help them brown evenly. 
  3. While the fries are cooking, combine the ingredients to make the Cajun seasoning. With 5 minutes left on the air fryer, sprinkle the potatoes with the Cajun seasoning and drizzle in a little more oil. Toss evenly to coat the fries and continue to air-fry for the final minutes. 
  4. To make the Creole Dipping Sauce, combine all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Serve the Cajun Fries hot with Creole Dipping sauce on the side. 
  • Like 1

Wow, I'm honored!

I received this via the My Chart app from one of the nurses at my reconstructive surgeon's office. I knew my surgeon was really pleased with my results via keto, but didn't expect to become a mentor for others.

"Good Morning Pam,

Dr. Colohan has a new patient who would like to speak with another patient about their experience with DIEP reconstruction and starting the Ketogenic diet. Would you be willing to share your experience with another patient? If so, please let us know if you would prefer email or a call.

Take care,"

• Like 5

Checking in for May. Only 17 days of school left then I'm off till August!

On another happy note, my oldest son left his job at a small-town police department and accepted a deputy position with the Hancock County, Ohio sheriff's department! The pride (and worry) I feel for this young man is unimaginable!

I completely understand.... our daughter is graduating from her police academy this month!   It is different when it is your parent or spouse, your child though that brings a whole new level of prayer!

Down to 36 members after alirwin1985 dropped out last month.

May is the month I missed last year..... but, I'm here this year had to set a reminder :)  Why are my May's always so busy? lol 

• Like 2

Most people want to know what I would buy if I were cutting the cord right at this moment.  For me, right now, I think I would get an Amazon Recast and a bunch of Fire TV Sticks.  In fact, I have done that.  It's not for everyone, but it works for me.  I have had Amazon Prime for some time.  Mostly for shipping, but I enjoy the streaming media and use a photo library as the background for my Amazon Shows.  I have a Recast, so I am able to watch television on my Shows (I have seven) or any device that is attached to a Fire TV Stick.  The Recast only supports two concurrent streams, but that is plenty as my kids tend to watch Netflix.  Some things I like about the Prime solution...

• Integrate Philo TV for 'cable' channels like A&E, AMC, Animal Planet, AXS TV, BBC America, BBC World News, BET, Discovery, DIY, Food Network, Hallmark, HGTV, Nick Jr., Nick, Lifetime, MTV, History, TVLand, and more
  • Integrate Amazon Channels like Cinemax ($9.99/mo), HBO ($14.99/mo), Showtime ($8.99/mo), and Starz ($8.99/mo) 
  • Integrate Pluto channels
  • Integrate Vue channels
Let's say your family enjoys some of the cable channels, network programming, and HBO for Game of Thrones.  You get a Recast for $200, get a pair of 4k Fire TV Sticks for $100, pay $50/month for an ISP, $119/year for Prime, and $15/month for HBO.  $300 up front and $75/month.  Add Philo TV for $16/month for a $91 'skinny' cable killer.

Over the weekend, I added Philo and Starz (Prime Channel) just to see what Amazon would do...  

cinemaxandphiloguide.png

Each channel's programming is added to my Live Channels EPG.  I have TV in a room not near network or cable.  I had a TiVo Mini installed using Powerline adapters.  That worked fine, but I was able to unplug everything and replace it with a Fire TV Stick and that works better.  For a lot less money.  I was able to power the stick using a usb port on the tv, so there is not even a cord running to the power outlet.

Edited by len_mullen
  • Like 1

I have both. I don't love either. Roku has too many products and too few programmers. Once a device falls from Flagship status, it is an afterthought. I have found that every new software update leads to a period of instability. Roku makes things worse by forcing updates. I like the current 4K Fire TV stick. They got CEC right and the stick is fast. Still don't love it. 

So far, I have not experienced those issues.  It could be that mine are still fairly new.  My coworker turned me towards Roku.  He has had several for several years, but he has never mentioned instability with them.  Perhaps Roku is making them unstable on purpose...to get you to upgrade. 

I'm preparing a blog post on this idea. Nothing in the Amazon ecosystem thrills me, but I like the whole of it a lot. I'll link to the post when it goes up. 

Interesting read!  Fire Sticks do seem to be a cheaper option and will integrate in with more stuff.

I like the Roku channel.  It doesn't have local channels or a DVR.  With the Recast and the ability to integrate Cinemax ($9.99/mo), HBO ($14.99/mo), Showtime ($8.99/mo), and Starz ($8.99/mo) plus many other channels Amazon is really providing a la carte options.  Vue and Philo skinny cable packages can be integrated into the Fire TV grid style guide as well.

I'm no Roku fan.  (Been banned from their forums four times, as I recall.)  It's strength (independence) it also it's weakness.  Things could be better now.  The last Roku I bought was a Roku 2XS.  Had a bunch.  Awesome except when they weren't.  No fan of Amazon either, but for $400 up front and $70/month, you can build something special with the Prime Ecosystem.  

So far, I haven't had any issues with my Rokus.  The Fire Stick was different.  I purchased it several years ago (I believe it is a 3) and every time I have reset it, I have had trouble getting the remote to reconnect.  When I first purchased it, I called Amazon about to return it.  Shortly after they answered, the remote finally connected.  I'm sure the rep thought I was not very tech-savvy, but I had just did the exact same steps multiple times to get it to go.  It didn't matter if I put fresh batteries in and got up close.  Perhaps I got one that skipped by QC, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. 

I appreciate your input and really enjoy your blogs.

• Like 1

He has had several for several years, but he has never mentioned instability with them.  Perhaps Roku is making them unstable on purpose...to get you to upgrade.

No.  The problem is that they target their code to their current top model and shoehorn the code onto the other devices.  If you spend much time in their forums, you would be aware as it is often talked about.  The Roku 2XS seemed to be particularly susceptible.  I have a couple TCL Roku TVs and I love them.  I use them as regular televisions and do not have internet active, so I am not vulnerable to updates.

I appreciate your input and really enjoy your blogs.

Thank you!

Edited by len_mullen