GottaDEAL 2019 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

Happy April! It’s snowing pollen down South and my car has taken on that lovely Grinch green shade. Ugh.

It seemed like everything turned green overnight last week so I got the fever and

Bought a few flowers to pot last week and have yet to pot them. LOl. I think we are safe from another late freeze like we had last week so flower bed here I come.

• Like 1

My DW flew out today to get her parents.  They are coming to the US as permanent residents!  This process has taken over a year and cost us a BUNCH of money.  They arrive here on Easter.  Most everything is done already, although when I was installing the Roku in their room today, I messed up the cable cover.  Luckily, I had another piece, but it will require some paint. 

On another note...

Have any of you heard about the "Ice Cream Banana" or Blue Java Banana?  The flavor is described as "Vanilla pudding".  They can grow in zones 8-10 outside.  Hardy to 20 below. 

http://www.banana-plants.com/Ice-Cream.html

I have to have me some!  AND Amazon to the rescue!

https://www.amazon.com/Cream-HARDY-BANANA-PLANT-Tasty/dp/B018U3QSUO

• Like 3

My DW flew out today to get her parents. They are coming to the US as permanent residents! This process has taken over a year and cost us a BUNCH of money. They arrive here on Easter. Most everything is done already, although when I was installing the Roku in their room today, I messed up the cable cover. Luckily, I had another piece, but it will require some paint.

On another note...

Have any of you heard about the "Ice Cream Banana" or Blue Java Banana? The flavor is described as "Vanilla pudding". They can grow in zones 8-10 outside. Hardy to 20 below.

http://www.banana-plants.com/Ice-Cream.html

I have to have me some! AND Amazon to the rescue!

https://www.amazon.com/Cream-HARDY-BANANA-PLANT-Tasty/dp/B018U3QSUO

That’s pretty cool. I would like to try but $5 is a lot for some namers. Lol
  • Like 1

Well, here's my March update. Fasten your seatbelts for this ride...

Things going normally last month until one night late February. I was getting up in the middle of the night to get a drink when I suddenly blacked out. Not sure how long I was out, but I remember waking up and looking up at the ceiling like I was still in bed. Rested a bit until I tried to move, that's when the pain hit and I realized I was on the floor, not in bed, and something bad just happened. Managed to grab my cellphone nearby and say ‘I’ve fallen and I can’t get up!’ I just love that line! Spent the rest of the night/day in E.R. where they told me that I just broke two of my already fragile lumbar vertebrae. Basically, I had a seizure in the middle of getting up and I just completely broke my back in half.

Went through emergency back surgery the next day where they installed a plate and some rods. Then had a rough beginning to my recovery where I spent another week in the hospital before they could release me to a rehab center. Spent March in a rehab hospital until last Thursday when they finally paroled me to my own bed. Now I’ve got an 8-inch scar up my back which limits my whole mobility while they do in home therapy and home care with me. My sister is able to come to my home every other day or so to help out around the apartment and with my daily needs, but we live so far apart from each other (She’s in east Mesa while I’m on the north side of Phoenix).

Just spoke with my landlord the other day and I’ll be able to get out of my lease once my doctor provides a notice that I can’t take care of myself alone anymore and I need to move closer to my family in Mesa. So here I am in late March with an extremely painful back and limited mobility where I can barely do the simple things I used to be able to do. My sister and bro-in-law are willing to help take care of me once I'm able to move into Mesa near them. I'll know a little more next week once I've got all my paperwork and have seen my neurosurgeon in his office. In the meantime it's pretty much rest, pain meds, more rest, limited exercise, and more rest.

They say march comes in like a lion. Well then... roar!

Wow so sorry to hear this praying for a quick recovery

Uninspired by CES...Best quote of the show came from The Verge, "Kohler’s Numi 2.0 Intelligent Toilet is one of those strange products that draws so heavily on buzzwords and tech trends that it’s indistinguishable from parody." Google Home and Alexa enabled, the intelligent toilet is part of Kohler's smart bathroom. Speakers, moodlighting, and a bidet, but no medical analysis. The Japanese have been taking stool samples at home for two decades...Still boring.

Amazon Alexa launches its first HIPAA-compliant medical skills...

Developers accepted into the program will be able to use the Alexa Skills Kit, which now supports skills that are able to transmit and receive protected health information.

Alexa Is Becoming Your Personal Medical Assistant

The new skills are diverse. Providence St. Joseph Health's skill books appointments, Cigna tracks wellness incentive, Express Script manages prescriptions and Livongo provides blood glucose readings.

And there is more coming from Atrium Health, Boston Hospital's post-surgery program and Swedish Health Connect. Healthcare is an industry that Amazon has eyed for quite some time now.

MediSprout integrates telehealth solution with Alexa

Connecting with V2MD by MediSprout makes it quick and easy for them to take readings and share critical information through video conference, enabling their doctors to provide immediate guidance and continued care, which has been clinically proven in multiple studies to improve patient outcomes.

Nothing at CES, but a lot is going on in development labs.

That’s pretty cool. I would like to try but $5 is a lot for some namers. Lol

I agree.  $50 is a bit steep to try something out.

I actually ordered from the first link after some research.  $15 per plant.  $12 flat rate shipping.  I expect them to arrive around Saturday.  ETA of production will be next summer.  Hopefully I don't kill them. 

• Like 1

Dang it... I could’ve sworn I had a March check in... ‍♀ Day job’s been so insane I guess I missed it. Boo hiss. Anyway... Hello again, folks. I do still exist, though some days I wonder...

I celebrate another trip around the sun on Sunday and the forecast is cold and rainy. Fitting, somehow... smh lol

Scale hasn’t moved lower as much of late but that’s because I’m working on building muscle, so the overall muscle-fat ratio is definitely improving. I don’t mind that in the least. Looking to see the scale number starting with a 1 instead of a 2 by the time I head south to Charlotte next month, though. That would be the first time since high school...

LMAO!  I'm guessing you are spending a lot of time walking past mirrors and I think you have your priorities in order!

• Like 1

Home from surgery. This was basically clean up of the reconstruction. I had back fat left behind from the mastectomy and fat and tissue grafts which has hardened due to rejection removed, and areas filled in around the breasts via liposuctuon from my inner thighs. I'm in a lot more pain than I expected, as I thought I would be able to work tomorrow. But, I can barely lift either leg, due to the pain. When I attempt to walk, I'm basically dragging my left leg.

Hopefully that will improve tomorrow...

Thanks for the prayers and healing thoughts!

Edited by Gator Pam
  • Like 5

It's here!!!

20190415025705x250x148.jpg

Wishing luck to all procrastinators.

This year, I prepared my taxes using TaxAct, CreditKarma, and TurboTax.  I wanted to validate CK.  Sure enough, all three prepared identical federal tax returns.  It probably took more time to use the software than it would have to complete the forms manually as I am FINALLY better off taking the standard deduction.

State taxes were another story.  I live in New Hampshire and work in Massachusetts.  CK does not support nonresident state returns.  TaxAct and TurboTax both incorrectly identified me as a single filer instead of Head of Household.  I verified with the Mass DOR that HoH was correct for me and completed the paper forms.  TurboTax made a number of other smaller errors -- rounding errors that resulted in additional forms being completed.  

I filed federal taxes Sunday night and state Tuesday.  We lost power a couple hours after I filed the federal forms.  Mass taxes are not due until Wednesday as Monday was a state holiday (Patriots Day) and Tuesday was a Washington DC holiday (Emancipation Day).  While I may seem like a procrastinator, I actually have had my federal taxes done for a couple weeks.  I just wanted to spend some time looking things over and have  been very busy (April: mastered button sewing, rabies shot for dog, licence for dog, licence renewal for me, register two vehicles, inspect two vehicles, two dentist appointments, one college fair, one scholarship application, a wake, and a funeral).

It felt pretty good to drop my mass return off at the post office Tuesday afternoon.

Edited by len_mullen
  • Like 1