GottaDEAL 2019 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

Well, here's my March update. Fasten your seatbelts for this ride...

Things going normally last month until one night late February. I was getting up in the middle of the night to get a drink when I suddenly blacked out. Not sure how long I was out, but I remember waking up and looking up at the ceiling like I was still in bed. Rested a bit until I tried to move, that's when the pain hit and I realized I was on the floor, not in bed, and something bad just happened. Managed to grab my cellphone nearby and say ‘I’ve fallen and I can’t get up!’ I just love that line! Spent the rest of the night/day in E.R. where they told me that I just broke two of my already fragile lumbar vertebrae. Basically, I had a seizure in the middle of getting up and I just completely broke my back in half.

Went through emergency back surgery the next day where they installed a plate and some rods. Then had a rough beginning to my recovery where I spent another week in the hospital before they could release me to a rehab center. Spent March in a rehab hospital until last Thursday when they finally paroled me to my own bed. Now I’ve got an 8-inch scar up my back which limits my whole mobility while they do in home therapy and home care with me. My sister is able to come to my home every other day or so to help out around the apartment and with my daily needs, but we live so far apart from each other (She’s in east Mesa while I’m on the north side of Phoenix).

Just spoke with my landlord the other day and I’ll be able to get out of my lease once my doctor provides a notice that I can’t take care of myself alone anymore and I need to move closer to my family in Mesa. So here I am in late March with an extremely painful back and limited mobility where I can barely do the simple things I used to be able to do. My sister and bro-in-law are willing to help take care of me once I'm able to move into Mesa near them. I'll know a little more next week once I've got all my paperwork and have seen my neurosurgeon in his office. In the meantime it's pretty much rest, pain meds, more rest, limited exercise, and more rest.

They say march comes in like a lion. Well then... roar!

Bless your heart, you have really been through the ringer!  Sending prayers and happy thoughts for quick healing.

Things going normally last month until one night late February. I was getting up in the middle of the night to get a drink when I suddenly blacked out. Not sure how long I was out, but I remember waking up and looking up at the ceiling like I was still in bed. Rested a bit until I tried to move, that's when the pain hit and I realized I was on the floor, not in bed, and something bad just happened. Managed to grab my cellphone nearby and say ‘I’ve fallen and I can’t get up!’ I just love that line! Spent the rest of the night/day in E.R. where they told me that I just broke two of my already fragile lumbar vertebrae. Basically, I had a seizure in the middle of getting up and I just completely broke my back in half.

Went through emergency back surgery the next day where they installed a plate and some rods. Then had a rough beginning to my recovery where I spent another week in the hospital before they could release me to a rehab center. Spent March in a rehab hospital until last Thursday when they finally paroled me to my own bed. Now I’ve got an 8-inch scar up my back which limits my whole mobility while they do in home therapy and home care with me. My sister is able to come to my home every other day or so to help out around the apartment and with my daily needs, but we live so far apart from each other (She’s in east Mesa while I’m on the north side of Phoenix).

Just spoke with my landlord the other day and I’ll be able to get out of my lease once my doctor provides a notice that I can’t take care of myself alone anymore and I need to move closer to my family in Mesa. So here I am in late March with an extremely painful back and limited mobility where I can barely do the simple things I used to be able to do. My sister and bro-in-law are willing to help take care of me once I'm able to move into Mesa near them. I'll know a little more next week once I've got all my paperwork and have seen my neurosurgeon in his office. In the meantime it's pretty much rest, pain meds, more rest, limited exercise, and more rest.

Wow....Hang in there.....Much prayers and Love coming your way.

I can’t believe March is already over. After catching up on everyone’s post let me just send my deepest sympathies to those who have lost loved ones and those who are dealing with health/medical issues. Try to stay strong as you work through these difficult times.
  • Like 2

Ten months, ten topics...

1. Feb: CES 2019 should give us some ideas about what Black Friday 2019 will be all about.  A review of what they hope we'll buy.
  2. March: Best Air Fryer recipes/uses.  Going to try a blooming onion tomorrow.  Jury is still out on this counter top wonder.
  3. Apr: In 1999, I took a job in a group called Architecture Technology Organization (aka ATO).  These were all the geeks and those who managed them.  On my first day on the job, I learned about X10.  Within a couple weeks, I was living in a smart home.  Not a lot of X10 in my house these days, but the house is even smarter thanks to Alexa.  Some thoughts on getting started with automation.
  4. May: In May of 2010 I fired Comcast.  A lot has changed over nine years.  This is how I would cut the cord in 2019...
  5. Jun: Cash back for dummies.  Best credit cards and loyalty programs for people who do not want miles.
  6. Jul: Prime Day Primer.
  7. Aug: Drying food on purpose.
  8. Sep: Televisions.
  9. Oct: Laptops.
  10. Nov: Time to talk about Black Friday 2019!

"Alexa, turn on kitchen.  Alexa, drop in on Paul's Room.  Alexa, show salmon recipe.  Alexa tune to Heroes & Icons."  That's me chatting up my best girl after a long day at work.  Turning on the lights over the kitchen sink and stove, getting my kid's attention, and catching a couple episodes of House while I prepare dinner.  "Alexa, add milk to my shopping list."  "Alexa, reorder paper towels."  "Alexa, play Havana."  "Alexa, play WRKO."  "Alexa, play my news." "Alexa, what's the weather?"  "Alexa, how's traffic from Danville, NH to Lynn, MA?"

Recently, I added an Amazon Recast to my smart home.  It doesn't really make the house smarter, but I can now watch TV while doing dishes and control my FireTV sticks with my voice (haven't yet...who talks to a television?) and wirelessly connect that TV in my living room (which is not near ethernet or coax) at 4K (streaming) or 720p (OTA).  I think I like the Recast, but it is too new for me to review at this time.

Mostly, I use smart lights and smart plugs.  I have a couple cameras and a pair of smart thermostats, but have used neither.  I've been trying to think of something to watch with the cameras.  Nothing so far.  I move my thermostat about six times a year and only have two wires to each.  I could not see replacing batteries to avoid getting off my butt six times a year -- five, since I'd have to get off my butt to change the batteries. 

I like smart plugs best as they can automate just about anything.  I put all my Christmas decorations on smart plugs -- "Alexa, turn on Christmas."  I put scent diffusers on smart plugs -- "Alexa turn on smell."  I put air conditioners on smart plugs -- "Alexa, turn on my AC."  "Alexa, turn on coffee."  "Alexa turn on rice."  "Alexa, turn on toaster."  There are really no limits with these plugs.

I have use for smart bulbs as well.  In some places, it doesn't make sense to install a switch or use a plug.  Sometimes, I just want a bulb to act independent of other bulbs (on the bookcase of my bed) or sometimes I want the bulb to have special features like color.

Switches are most permanent and require much thought.  I use Insteon switches that work as normal switches when no smart hub is available.  One of my spring projects is to disable the motion detectors on my outside lights.  I have purchased three way switches for each which can be controlled by Alexa.  I have purchased switches for overhead lights in my dining room, kitchen, family room, and hallway.

I haven't considered a lot of smart devices just because I think they introduce risks I am not willing to accept.  It's one thing to let Jeff Bezos to listen in on my conversations and watch my behaviors.  It's quite another thing to let him unlock doors and control appliances.  I'm OK with a camera at the door, but not with remote unlocking of the door.  On the other hand, I'd consider a smart lock in conjunction with a traditional lock so that I could leave door 'unlocked' for someone who needed to enter my unoccupied home.  Then I'd have use for the cameras.

Some devices are simply a solution in search of a problem.

I haven't figured out why the washer needs to talk to the dryer.  Mostly, smart washers facilitate remote control and monitoring (by you and the manufacturer).  I would not run a washer unless I were home and set a timer on Alexa to alert me to the finish of a load, so no smarts there.  Smart also doubles the cost of the washer and probably dramatically increases likelihood of failure.  You can learn more about smart washers here: https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/washing-machines/article/smart-washing-machines-explained.

Smart refrigerators do a lot of interesting things.  Here is a link to an article about these features: https://www.lifewire.com/smart-refrigerator-4158327. Some are better done by other devices and some are too much work, but I would like to be able to look inside my refrigerator when I'm away.  I'd like to be able to smell it too ;-)  Too much money to justify a smart refrigerator.  Maybe I can put one of those cameras in the frig?  Smart refrigerators (and cabinets) will make more sense once bar codes are replaced with 2D codes and, eventually, RFID -- it's closer than you think: http://www.waspbarcode.com/buzz/future-barcodes.  I like the idea of a digital whiteboard, but prefer it stick to the front of the refrigerator.

Anyone who has ever pre-heated an oven with a loaf of bread inside knows why smart stoves are a bad idea.  (I start the coffee maker, rice steamer, toaster oven, and slow cooker in the middle of the glass top of my stove to minimize risk of fire -- Alexa, turn on stove outlet.")

All of this smart stuff is pretty cool.  Except for the Shows and Recast, it's all pretty inexpensive.  Here is a look at devices that work with Alexa... 

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/880-best-alexa-compatible-devices.html

The smart baby monitor is pretty cool ( I don't think the shades would pay for themselves in energy savings and I don't mind setting them manually, but I do like the idea of letting the sun in gradually on weekends -- especially in the summer (https://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/880-best-alexa-compatible-devices.html#s28).  

Lots of security risks (first thing you do configuring a device is to send your home network's wifi password to China in most cases) even if you are careful.  I recommend putting your IoT on a 'guest' network.  

• Like 2

Happy April! First day of spring break here, and my college son even has break the same week we do for once, so yay we are all home!

I have a long list of things I want to get done, but so far not off to a great start. Pretty typical though. And then Friday I'll stress about what I didn't get done.

• Like 1

Wow, you must have posted this right after the last time I was in here.  Hope your feeling better, and things are looking up.  I will be praying for you.

"Alexa, turn on kitchen.  Alexa, drop in on Paul's Room.  Alexa, show salmon recipe.  Alexa tune to Heroes & Icons."  That's me chatting up my best girl after a long day at work.  Turning on the lights over the kitchen sink and stove, getting my kid's attention, and catching a couple episodes of House while I prepare dinner.  "Alexa, add milk to my shopping list."  "Alexa, reorder paper towels."  "Alexa, play Havana."  "Alexa, play WRKO."  "Alexa, play my news." "Alexa, what's the weather?"  "Alexa, how's traffic from Danville, NH to Lynn, MA?"

Recently, I added an Amazon Recast to my smart home.  It doesn't really make the house smarter, but I can now watch TV while doing dishes and control my FireTV sticks with my voice (haven't yet...who talks to a television?) and wirelessly connect that TV in my living room (which is not near ethernet or coax) at 4K (streaming) or 720p (OTA).  I think I like the Recast, but it is too new for me to review at this time.

Mostly, I use smart lights and smart plugs.  I have a couple cameras and a pair of smart thermostats, but have used neither.  I've been trying to think of something to watch with the cameras.  Nothing so far.  I move my thermostat about six times a year and only have two wires to each.  I could not see replacing batteries to avoid getting off my butt six times a year -- five, since I'd have to get off my butt to change the batteries. 

I like smart plugs best as they can automate just about anything.  I put all my Christmas decorations on smart plugs -- "Alexa, turn on Christmas."  I put scent diffusers on smart plugs -- "Alexa turn on smell."  I put air conditioners on smart plugs -- "Alexa, turn on my AC."  "Alexa, turn on coffee."  "Alexa turn on rice."  "Alexa, turn on toaster."  There are really no limits with these plugs.

I have use for smart bulbs as well.  In some places, it doesn't make sense to install a switch or use a plug.  Sometimes, I just want a bulb to act independent of other bulbs (on the bookcase of my bed) or sometimes I want the bulb to have special features like color.

Switches are most permanent and require much thought.  I use Insteon switches that work as normal switches when no smart hub is available.  One of my spring projects is to disable the motion detectors on my outside lights.  I have purchased three way switches for each which can be controlled by Alexa.  I have purchased switches for overhead lights in my dining room, kitchen, family room, and hallway.

I haven't considered a lot of smart devices just because I think they introduce risks I am not willing to accept.  It's one thing to let Jeff Bezos to listen in on my conversations and watch my behaviors.  It's quite another thing to let him unlock doors and control appliances.  I'm OK with a camera at the door, but not with remote unlocking of the door.  On the other hand, I'd consider a smart lock in conjunction with a traditional lock so that I could leave door 'unlocked' for someone who needed to enter my unoccupied home.  Then I'd have use for the cameras.

Some devices are simply a solution in search of a problem.

I haven't figured out why the washer needs to talk to the dryer.  Mostly, smart washers facilitate remote control and monitoring (by you and the manufacturer).  I would not run a washer unless I were home and set a timer on Alexa to alert me to the finish of a load, so no smarts there.  Smart also doubles the cost of the washer and probably dramatically increases likelihood of failure.  You can learn more about smart washers here: https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/washing-machines/article/smart-washing-machines-explained.

Smart refrigerators do a lot of interesting things.  Here is a link to an article about these features: https://www.lifewire.com/smart-refrigerator-4158327. Some are better done by other devices and some are too much work, but I would like to be able to look inside my refrigerator when I'm away.  I'd like to be able to smell it too ;-)  Too much money to justify a smart refrigerator.  Maybe I can put one of those cameras in the frig?  Smart refrigerators (and cabinets) will make more sense once bar codes are replaced with 2D codes and, eventually, RFID -- it's closer than you think: http://www.waspbarcode.com/buzz/future-barcodes.  I like the idea of a digital whiteboard, but prefer it stick to the front of the refrigerator.

Anyone who has ever pre-heated an oven with a loaf of bread inside knows why smart stoves are a bad idea.  (I start the coffee maker, rice steamer, toaster oven, and slow cooker in the middle of the glass top of my stove to minimize risk of fire -- Alexa, turn on stove outlet.")

All of this smart stuff is pretty cool.  Except for the Shows and Recast, it's all pretty inexpensive.  Here is a look at devices that work with Alexa... 

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/880-best-alexa-compatible-devices.html

The smart baby monitor is pretty cool ( I don't think the shades would pay for themselves in energy savings and I don't mind setting them manually, but I do like the idea of letting the sun in gradually on weekends -- especially in the summer (https://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/880-best-alexa-compatible-devices.html#s28).  

Lots of security risks (first thing you do configuring a device is to send your home network's wifi password to China in most cases) even if you are careful.  I recommend putting your IoT on a 'guest' network.  

Len you made me laugh out loud! I have rebaked left over cakes in the oven SOOOOOO many times. You would think I would learn to check inside before turning it on!

• Like 1

Not much happened in the last month, so not sure what to mention here as an April post.  Hoping the last of the cold weather is gone so I can open the windows again and go to storage and clean.

So no stories this month, but hope every one has a great month.

• Like 1