Black Friday rings up record $6.2 billion in online sales

Brad

https://www.cnet.com/news/black-friday-2018-rings-up-record-6-2-billion-in-online-sales/

Online sales for Black Friday hit $6.22 billion in the US, up 23.6 percent from a year ago and a new record high, according to Adobe Analytics, which tracks e-commerce transactions across 80 of the top 100 US retailers.

Shoppers didn't wait until Black Friday to get started. Online spending on Thanksgiving Day hit $3.7 billion in the US, topping last year's record of $2.87 billion.

And Cyber Monday is still to come. Adobe expects Cyber Monday sales to grow 17.6 percent year-over-year to $7.8 billion.

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2018-11-24/on-black-friday-more-us-shoppers-chose-the-computer-over-the-mall

Preliminary data from analytics firm RetailNext showed net sales at brick-and-mortar stores fell 4 to 7 percent over the two days, while traffic fell 5 to 9 percent, continuing the trend of recent years. No data was yet available for actual spending in stores.

• Like 1

I found this interesting: “Brian Field, senior director of advisory services at ShopperTrak, said online sales have eroded traffic from retailers over the years, "but what we have noticed is that the decline is starting to flatten out ... Overall its been consistent with where it's been over the last few years."”

It’s interesting to me because I went to outlets with my sisters-in-law (around midnight) and they said it was the most crowded they’ve ever seen it. The line to check out at Old Navy was like 45 min. When I got back home I went to the outlets here (at like 5:00 pm) and it was also more crowded than I’ve seen it in recent years.

We were trying to figure out what it is that resulted in so many people at the outlets. I thought maybe that with some of the bigger box stores either no longer opening on Thanksgiving or having weird hours, that maybe that drove people towards the outlets.

It just didn’t seem to me that in-person shopping was really on the decline with all the crowds I experienced. It reminded me of Black Friday years ago when all the stores opened at 1 am and I stood in line at Target in the cold. Now...obv my own personal experience is of course not a thermometer for the rest of the country, but it seems like the e-commerce on Black Friday isn’t putting the brick and mortars out of business.

I think the early one day sales increases the amount each person will spend. Because then it isn't all at once.  Plus, online shopping (especially since some stores start on Tuesday night or Wed. night now) allow people to shop at more places than they could if they had to stand in line at each one.  Something I did notice is Meijers used to have a Thursday Sale and then a Friday Sale. This year they combined the sales into a two-day sale.  So, Friday when I went in to grab a couple things, non-doorbuster, they were empty! Thus, everyone got their things there Thursday and shopped elsewhere on Friday.  Like many of us have said before, the sale days keep expanding. But, I'm still not missing my family time!

I know most of my shopping was online this year.  I hit one store on Thursday and 2 stores on Friday.  Home Depot to pick up a new tree and Target for a new phone.  Otherwise I would not have gone out at all.  I do miss the early morning Friday madness but love shopping in my jammies in the warmth of my home

That explains a lot of my personal experiences while out on BF. It seemed like the lines at the in store pick up counters were far busier than the checkout lines in all the stores that we went to on Friday morning. I only had to wait once to check out and there was only one person ahead of me so it was just for a minute or less.