Best tablet to buy for Black Friday?

vchristianman

I wanted to buy a tablet this year but I am not sure which one to purchase. I wanted a samsung galaxy tab but didn'T  realize how many different models they have out. I saw the one in the walmart black ad(Galaxy tab E) but i check and originally came out in 2015 so I wonder if it worth buying or if I should get a model released in the past year so I don't have to worry about updates being available.I also considered the amazon fire tablet that came out this year but heard that amazon tablets don't have as many apps available as android or apple tablets.I wanted a 9" or 10" tablet. So those of you who know more about tablets what do you recommend. I also do not want to spend more than $300 and I actually have an iphone so I might consider an apple tablet but I would know which model to as there are many different models just like the samsung tablets. 

I just bought my kids new Samsung Galaxy Tab E tablets on eBay for $99; I bought 3 of them.  It's the mini, I think 8" or 9" and has 4G.  

I got tired of them breaking their iPads.  This was affordable and they have a ton of apps loaded on them already.

My oldest watches Youtube all the time on his and it seems to work fine.

I've always been an Apple girl, but honestly, I can't really tell the difference between my iPad and the Galaxy.   I had some difficulty with trying to access my email online with the Galaxy, it tended to slow down and freeze, but my iPad does the same.  So, I think it's more of a tablet issue than a brand issue.

I have no experience with tablets through Amazon.  I looked at them, and thought the Galaxies would be a better fit for my kids.  

I have the ipad for $329 and really like it.  I also have a kindle fire and will probably get the new fire on BF this year for when we travel.  It is a lower cost alternative for my husband that is not really that much a tech person.  It depends on what you want to use the tablet for.  I use the iPad for everything from reading to watching movies to some games.  The kindle will have prime so some movies, shows, etc.

I've always been an Apple girl, but honestly, I can't really tell the difference between my iPad and the Galaxy.   I had some difficulty with trying to access my email online with the Galaxy, it tended to slow down and freeze, but my iPad does the same.  So, I think it's more of a tablet issue than a brand issue.

The problem with budget Android devices is that they don't have enough RAM which causes them to be slow & laggy.  This is especially true with Samsung Galaxy devices because of their Touchwiz UI skin which is a memory hog.  If you want a better experience and don't want your tablet to be laggy then look for a tablet that has a minimum 2GB's of RAM.

I have no experience with tablets through Amazon.  I looked at them, and thought the Galaxies would be a better fit for my kids.  

The Amazon tablets don't have the Google Play store so you'll be limited to the apps in Amazon's app store.  There is a way to side load the Google Play store on most Amazon tablets, it's not difficult but it's probably more involved than most non tech people would care to attempt.

Edited by Dust N Bones

A conversation about a computer purchase ought to start with apps.  And 'number of apps' is not important.  If you only want to do email and surf the web, any one will do.  If you have investment in the Amazon, Google, or Apple ecosystems, then you may want to stay within the ecosystem.  My 'tablet' is an Asus convertible.  It folds up like a laptop but the keyboard comes off for use as a tablet. The battery lasts eleven hours.  

Because it is Windows, to has laptop and tablet modes.  It runs MS Office, so I can run Microsoft Access when I need to.  And it runs DOSBox, so I can play old games and apps I still love.  There is an HDHomerun app so I can use this outside or in the attic to point an antenna.

Windows tablets start around $100 (Walmart), so you will not be out much if you make a mistake.  The Microsoft Store has the Surface discounted for BF.