Air Fryers - Yes or No

Rose0426

I got the power air fryer xl 5.3 qt from sams club that is normally $99 (I think it is 69 this weekend),   My wife hated the deep fryer and would always complain about it.  With the air fryer it is not quite as tasty and crisp as deep oil fry, but it is more crisp and tastes better than baking in over which my oven is a convection oven.

We really like ours (got it on Black Friday last year Kohl's online). Great for crispy french fries, pizza rolls, grilled cheese sandwiches, grilled chicken, reheating pizza...ooh and newly discovered bacon wrapped tator tots topped with cheese and green onions. I like that it's quicker than using my oven.

Love my air fryer. I’m seriously considering upgrading to a larger one this BF. I mainly do fries, fish sticks and chicken nuggets/tenders in mine and they turn out well. Maybe not quite as crispy as a good deep oil fry but I don’t care. I hate the smell of fried food lingering in my house and then there’s the hassle of disposing of the old oil. Mine cleans up easily as well.

Can you do things like homemade fried fish (dipped in a wet batter) in this?

I hate the hassle of using a deep fryer, but there are a few things like fried fish and zucchini that my family loves... I would make it more than a couple times a year if something like this worked well.

It seems like most of the reviews I read talk about reheating already cooked frozen items, not items from scratch.

Can you do things like homemade fried fish (dipped in a wet batter) in this?

I hate the hassle of using a deep fryer, but there are a few things like fried fish and zucchini that my family loves... I would make it more than a couple times a year if something like this worked well.

It seems like most of the reviews I read talk about reheating already cooked frozen items, not items from scratch.

I think the batter would fall off of the fish before it had time to set. Breaded items (I've tried chicken) spritzed with a bit of oil would work.
  • Like 1

I have the nuwave air fryer and I love it. No need to defrost items. Fried chicken whether breaded or naked come out awesome and taste good.

I've made fish, chicken, shrimp, meatballs and steak in mine. The family loves it, so I would recommend getting yourself one.

I have this one - we got it on a really good deal from Costco, it was under $60 a few weeks ago.  We love it!!!  I use my air fryer more than my microwave.  I got a small one last year on BF off Amazon, just to see if we would use it.  We decided we need a bigger one, even though we are two people, you need room for the food to be able to cook evenly.  

Don't hesitate on this one - it's really nice.

• Like 1

I CANNOT allow you to do this. Butter both side and GRILL until golden brown. Those are the rules.

:wife:

LOL I'm a rule breaker.

Crispy and buttery on the outside and ooey gooey cheesy on the inside.

Ooohhh ahhhhpost-193973-1541787094497_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

I have 2 on my counter.  I started with a 3.6 (or there about) qt, decided that wasn't quite big enough so bought a 5.6.  I use them all the time. They are like a convection oven, in that they are cooking with hot air. But the shape allows the air to flow around the food (or something like that).  I "fry" chicken legs in it and they are better than my actual fried chicken legs. But I tend to overcook chicken legs because I'm so paranoid I won't get them done.  I do french fries, tator tots, fish sticks, any of those frozen convenience foods.  I've done a whole turkey breast (see picture), that came out awesome. But my favorite thing to cook in it is steak. Yes, steak. I do add about 3 minutes to the preset, because the preset is not quite done enough for me. d6d6e77d-494e-4a4f-8994-e70aa9181906-ori

The trick to crispy is, you DO still need to use oil. Just spray coat what you're cooking though, it's not like dropping it in a vat of hot oil. And the excess will drip off, so it's still healthier than real frying, if that's your goal.

• Like 6

LOL I'm a rule breaker.

Crispy and buttery on the outside and ooey gooey cheesy on the inside.

Ooohhh ahhhhattachicon.gifIMG_20180101_175639570_HDR.jpeg

That does look like it turned out really well!

I like mine. I hate to say this but mozzarella sticks are the best!!! Lol it took me about three tries to get pork chops right but I love it. Quick clean up

Yes!  Not a single one started oozing out and loosing the cheese. They were crispy and fully melted through!

• Like 1

seems like the consensus is  :g_thumpsu

can all the fanboys submit favorite make/model?  Op, can you tally these as an  update to the first post?  thanks all!

Mine are both Cook's Essentials, from QVC. I can't speak to any of the other brands.