I need a new Samsung phone but I don't want to lease!

cab0ad

I am needing a new phone.  I am a Samsung person and have always stuck to Galaxy phones.  I am a Sprint customer and my contract has ended but I do not want to change carriers.  Sadly all of the deals for a new phone offered from Sprint currently are for leasing and I don't want to lease.  I just want to own a new phone with a good deal.  

I saw the Sam's Club deal coming up on the 10th.  I don't understand the terms as stated on their page.  It says $300 gift card with activation and installment or subsidy...  What exactly does that mean?  Can I just purchase the phone outright and "activate" it with my Sprint plan?  what does installment or subsidy mean?  

I would suggest waiting for Best Buy they normally have really good deals on Samsung phones I remember one year they had the S5 for just $1.00 and activation.  Bestbuy normally has Samsung, i might suggest seeing if Bestbuy has sprint phones in your area.  So as to prepare for Black Friday. Check out last years deals as a guide.

I too have an S5 that best buy offered for the $1 back in 2015. It has been a great phone, but I would like a new phone too without paying an arm and a leg. Last year Samsung had $300 off the s8 but all phones are just too expensive. I wish Sprint would go back to giving you a good free phone with a 2 year commitment contract as I don't want to change carriers either.

• Like 1

I'm in the same position. What I typically do is call Sprint directly. They will give you a better deal on the galaxy phone for renewing your contract for 2 years. This isn't offered on the website only through calling them. Usually they sell the galaxy for half price plus offer some type of cash back promotion. You do pay outright for the phone. My contract ends tomorrow and this is the process I will use to get my new phone. I've been doing it this way for the past 6 years.

• 2 weeks later...

I too have an S5 that best buy offered for the $1 back in 2015. It has been a great phone, but I would like a new phone too without paying an arm and a leg. Last year Samsung had $300 off the s8 but all phones are just too expensive. I wish Sprint would go back to giving you a good free phone with a 2 year commitment contract as I don't want to change carriers either.

Yes, that's how I used to get my phone. It was well worth it.

Best Buy has a $200 Moto 6 for sale for $200 right now. 32 gig storage. Not a bad deal I might get my DD one as well

I was looking at that one as well, the pink one. The Moto X 4th Gen was on sale the other day and I ALMOST got it. I could not find a case so I put it in my cart thinking I would look some more later. The next day it went from $229 to 299...um no. I thought it was a weekly ad deal but must have been a deal of the day. I'm still holding out hope for a cheaper Samsung but the Moto is in a close running for me as well.

I recommend anyone looking for a new smartphone to at least consider a company other than the top 2. (Apple or Samsung).

OnePlus 6t for example is much cheaper but is 90% of the phone and exceeds the newest Samsung in areas.

https://m.androidcentral.com/oneplus-6t-vs-samsung-galaxy-s9

I saw it and was considering it as well. Was wanting to stop buy the store and play around with it or wait for the user reviews to hit. 

I saw it and was considering it as well. Was wanting to stop buy the store and play around with it or wait for the user reviews to hit. 

To touch t-mobile has in store.  if other carrier, have to buy directly from website.  Reviews I have seen good so far, it is of course new though so open to that of course.

I left Sprint for that very reason. I switched to T-Mobile. Purchased my phone, cheaper rates and no contract. Yet they are now one company. I want to add, I had been with Sprint since 1997 too. Every time I purchased a new phone, even if not from them, they started a new 2 yr contract on me. Edited by amickeyfan

I am needing a new phone.  I am a Samsung person and have always stuck to Galaxy phones.  I am a Sprint customer and my contract has ended but I do not want to change carriers.  Sadly all of the deals for a new phone offered from Sprint currently are for leasing and I don't want to lease.  I just want to own a new phone with a good deal.  

I saw the Sam's Club deal coming up on the 10th.  I don't understand the terms as stated on their page.  It says $300 gift card with activation and installment or subsidy...  What exactly does that mean?  Can I just purchase the phone outright and "activate" it with my Sprint plan?  what does installment or subsidy mean?  

cab0ad - Samsung . com has the s9 for $419 plus tax and free shipping starting today with instant $300 off from their black friday ad. If you have a employer sponsored plan, edu address, government, military their is additional discounting (not sure how much) but Samsung will let you finance through Sprint for 24 monthly payments. You can also pre pay "up to" $319 today and pay off the remainder on your sprint bill.

cab0ad - Samsung . com has the s9 for $419 plus tax and free shipping starting today with instant $300 off from their black friday ad. If you have a employer sponsored plan, edu address, government, military their is additional discounting (not sure how much) but Samsung will let you finance through Sprint for 24 monthly payments. You can also pre pay "up to" $319 today and pay off the remainder on your sprint bill.

Is this deal only for a new customer or add a line?

Is this deal only for a new customer or add a line?

It is for upgrades too. You are also able to trade in your old cell if it is on their list of trade ins and meets their criteria (If determined damaged trade in, they still would give you $25 because they won't return your phone). I am trading my S5 in that I use and great condition for the $50 trade in, and getting the S9. I paid $1 at Best Buy several years ago with Sprint and a 2 year commitment. My bottom line total for the new S9 was $392.19 with my trade in. Samsung . com allowed my to prepay some of the cost on my credit card too. If not, that wouldn't have been a big deal for me, as the new phone will be monthly financed for 24 months with 0% interest by Sprint. They also will charge a $30 upgrade fee/activation fee (silly) but it was still reasonable "for me" so I was able to have a new phone as mine was getting full (Only 16gb) and the new one has (64gb) and a little faster.

It is for upgrades too. You are also able to trade in your old cell if it is on their list of trade ins and meets their criteria (If determined damaged trade in, they still would give you $25 because they won't return your phone). I am trading my S5 in that I use and great condition for the $50 trade in, and getting the S9. I paid $1 at Best Buy several years ago with Sprint and a 2 year commitment. My bottom line total for the new S9 was $392.19 with my trade in. Samsung . com allowed my to prepay some of the cost on my credit card too. If not, that wouldn't have been a big deal for me, as the new phone will be monthly financed for 24 months with 0% interest by Sprint. They also will charge a $30 upgrade fee/activation fee (silly) but it was still reasonable "for me" so I was able to have a new phone as mine was getting full (Only 16gb) and the new one has (64gb) and a little faster.

Thanks! I will look again as I didn't think you could trade in anything under the S8. My mom has an S4 currently.

Thanks! I will look again as I didn't think you could trade in anything under the S8. My mom has an S4 currently.

If I recall, the S4 "was not" listed for the trade in. I was surprised my S5 was listed so I took advantage of the trade in. Even if I they find something wrong with it, I still get $25 because they won't return it back and I am still up the difference from what I initially paid ($1). Lol

• Like 1

If I recall, the S4 "was not" listed for the trade in. I was surprised my S5 was listed so I took advantage of the trade in. Even if I they find something wrong with it, I still get $25 because they won't return it back and I am still up the difference from what I initially paid ($1). Lol

Guess my S2 is out of the question. Lol

So, you have to add a line for that. How does that work if you don't need one? Add a line, move the number, then remove a line?

That's what I am thinking and port the number over to that line. You don't have to add a line but the discount is less. They do have other phones that I liked that would have been a good upgrade for like $200-250. LG V30 is one. 

• Like 1

Well, cheap option won't work in my household. Husband makes sure we have the best, especially on phones... :)

So I would love to get an expensive phone for not-so-expensive. If possible.

They had the new ones that are top of the line as well with a credit to up to $750. Samsung, LG and Apple