Personal entertainment device

momlori

Ok just got back from vacation and on all 4 flights they had no in flight entertainment unless you have a personal entertainment device. I guess this is the new norm. We have 2 trips scheduled next year and am looking to see what everyone thinks will be the best to take along and the set deal for bf so I can buy now. Tablet, DVD player or laptop. I don’t want to go over 200 and I know on bf I can do that for any of those. Thoughts?

First question: What kind of entertainment do you own or plan to buy?

Second Question: How do you like to be entertained when you travel?

When I was traveling a lot, I carried a Kindle Fire with me.  I had the biggest one that fit in the front pocket of my pants.  I had a couple games installed, copied some movies the device and a bunch more to one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Wi-Drive-64GB-Wireless-Storage/dp/B0081LJ0QK

and I had a lot of books and magazines on the Fire.

I thought that worked great.

I'm not sure about downloading content to watch offline with DirecTV, but I think I remember you can do that.  Also, you can rent movies from Amazon, and download those to a tablet. Once you start a rented movie, I think you have 48 hours to finish it. You can do that with a Kindle, or with any tablet you can put the Amazon video app on.

I was hoping for something to use inflight as well as at the hotel in China.

Most international flights will have screens in the seatback. It's domestic flights I've seen planes without screens (i.e. Southwest, Alaska if it's a non Virgin-America plane) I'm pretty sure my mom used her ipad in China, but if you preload everything you shouldn't have a problem, since you're not using data. A kindle fire would work. Just make sure you bring the right power converter.

• Like 1