Holiday Recipes

bethed

I am a horrible cook and have always relied on others for holiday meals. Unfortunately this year due to various illnesses within the family I am having to step my game. Plus I have a Christmas Grand baby due.

Please share all your favorite Holiday recipes... It would be such a blessing for me. ❤️

• Like 1

I am a horrible cook and have always relied on others for holiday meals. Unfortunately this year due to various illnesses within the family I am having to step my game. Plus I have a Christmas Grand baby due.

Please share all your favorite Holiday recipes... It would be such a blessing for me. [emoji3590]

I think it may be easier if you plan the meal first, give us an idea what you may want to prepare...what are some of the things your family likes to eat for the holidays?! What are some things you may want to try?! I make a good baked mac and cheese (among other things), but your family may not like baked mac and cheese...Once you give us an idea what you may want to cook, I'm sure you'll find plenty of assistance... Edited by tracy0504
  • Like 1

I think it may be easier if you plan the meal first, give us an idea what you may want to prepare...what are some of the things your family likes to eat for the holidays?! What are some things you may want to try?! I make a good baked mac and cheese (among other things), but your family may not like baked mac and cheese...Once you give us an idea what you may want to cook, I'm sure you'll find plenty of assistance...

I’d love to see your recipe for baked Mac and cheese please. I haven’t found one I really love yet.

I’d love to see your recipe for baked Mac and cheese please. I haven’t found one I really love yet.

There are so many recipes for Mac and Cheese out there, but I pretty much stick to the one my mom made when I was growing up...

First, I don't measure anything :g_shrug: !!!! I've been doing it so long that I do it by sight...I also may change up my cheeses, depending on what I can find but here is the general list of items:

**For a half aluminum sheet pan or 9 x 13 dish** 

16 oz Elbow Macaroni 

2-3 eggs

1-2 cans of Evaporated milk 

Milk (about a cup)

Butter, at least one stick

Salt (Seasoning, Kosher or pink Himalayan) and Pepper, to taste

Cheeses:

8-16 oz Velveeta 

8 oz Sharp Cheddar

8 oz Colby jack

4-8 oz Mozzarella

4-8 oz Mild Cheddar 

4-8 oz Cream Cheese or Sour Cream (yup!) If you're feeling adventurous you can use both

You can use the block or shredded, depends on you.  I have heard some people say they will only use block because the shredded has others things added and it changes the taste and the way it melts... I use to use the blocks of cheese exclusively, but as I've gotten older :grandpa:  and busier  :gd_steeri  :gdrunner:  I mostly rely on the shredded bags of cheese, no one can tell the difference, in my opinion. 

Please UNDER COOK your macaroni (al dente is perfect), it will finish cooking in the oven...salt and pepper your pasta before you add the cheeses (not too heavy on the salt about 1 tsp or so) and butter your baking dish...you can melt all of your cheeses and milk together making a cheese sauce and pour them over your pasta and mix or you can mix each cheese separately into the pasta... I usually do the latter...Now, the amount of cheese depends on how cheesy you want it...for a half sheet pan I use about 3/4 to all of each cheese...cream cheese is usually only 4 oz, same thing for sour cream and I normally do one or the other, but the last pan I made for work I used both and it was good... you should taste it to make sure you have enough salt and pepper before adding the eggs...now the eggs also depends on how you're feeling, I use 2- 3 (or 6...lol...if I use 6 I increase my milk because I'm going for a more "custard" type mac and cheese)... evaporated milk will NOT make it sweet!!!!...last, I usually cover the top with mild cheddar and pats of butter and bake at 350 uncovered until golden brown on top...

Some disclaimers:

Whatever your preference in cheeses is, go for it...smoked cheeses are also good... if you don't like a cheese I use substitute it with something else or leave it out... You don't have to use eggs, at all...This may be too rich for some people because of the amount of cheese used... I am not a trained chef :1cook: !!!!   everything is really to taste and like I stated before I have been making mac and cheese for so long that I don't have exact measurements so forgive me :gdflower5: ...

I think that's it, hope you enjoy :2letseat: !!!!

• Like 2

I don't know if this will help anybody, but I printed a blank days of the week calendar.  I copy once a month, write my own dates in it, and then what I want to make that day.  Then I can shop according to the list, plus, I know what I need to marinate or prep for the next day.  It is a great way to try new recipes because you have everything ahead of time.  If I'm missing something for that dinner I put an asterisk next to the dish on the calendar, so I remember to buy what I needed.  This worked great one year my daughter and I both had surgery a day apart. My mom and husband could easily follow the schedule :) 

• Like 1

There are so many recipes for Mac and Cheese out there, but I pretty much stick to the one my mom made when I was growing up...

First, I don't measure anything :g_shrug: !!!! I've been doing it so long that I do it by sight...I also may change up my cheeses, depending on what I can find but here is the general list of items:

**For a half aluminum sheet pan or 9 x 13 dish** 

16 oz Elbow Macaroni 

2-3 eggs

1-2 cans of Evaporated milk 

Milk (about a cup)

Butter, at least one stick

Salt (Seasoning, Kosher or pink Himalayan) and Pepper, to taste

Cheeses:

8-16 oz Velveeta 

8 oz Sharp Cheddar

8 oz Colby jack

4-8 oz Mozzarella

4-8 oz Mild Cheddar 

4-8 oz Cream Cheese or Sour Cream (yup!) If you're feeling adventurous you can use both

You can use the block or shredded, depends on you.  I have heard some people say they will only use block because the shredded has others things added and it changes the taste and the way it melts... I use to use the blocks of cheese exclusively, but as I've gotten older :grandpa:  and busier  :gd_steeri  :gdrunner:  I mostly rely on the shredded bags of cheese, no one can tell the difference, in my opinion. 

Please UNDER COOK your macaroni (al dente is perfect), it will finish cooking in the oven...salt and pepper your pasta before you add the cheeses (not too heavy on the salt about 1 tsp or so) and butter your baking dish...you can melt all of your cheeses and milk together making a cheese sauce and pour them over your pasta and mix or you can mix each cheese separately into the pasta... I usually do the latter...Now, the amount of cheese depends on how cheesy you want it...for a half sheet pan I use about 3/4 to all of each cheese...cream cheese is usually only 4 oz, same thing for sour cream and I normally do one or the other, but the last pan I made for work I used both and it was good... you should taste it to make sure you have enough salt and pepper before adding the eggs...now the eggs also depends on how you're feeling, I use 2- 3 (or 6...lol...if I use 6 I increase my milk because I'm going for a more "custard" type mac and cheese)... evaporated milk will NOT make it sweet!!!!...last, I usually cover the top with mild cheddar and pats of butter and bake at 350 uncovered until golden brown on top...

Some disclaimers:

Whatever your preference in cheeses is, go for it...smoked cheeses are also good... if you don't like a cheese I use substitute it with something else or leave it out... You don't have to use eggs, at all...This may be too rich for some people because of the amount of cheese used... I am not a trained chef :1cook: !!!!   everything is really to taste and like I stated before I have been making mac and cheese for so long that I don't have exact measurements so forgive me :gdflower5: ...

I think that's it, hope you enjoy :2letseat: !!!!

Thank you! This sounds delicious! I love all the cheeses, lol. I think block cheese tastes better, but I use shredded bag cheese too when I’m in a hurry.

• Like 2

Cornbread Dressing

So for cornbread dressing I make fresh home made cornbread in a cast iron skillet (not Jiffy mix it's sweet, unless you like it sweet then by all means go for it) I make it at least the day before...Now there is a difference between cornbread mix and cornmeal so make sure you read the package when you pick it up... I cheat and get the cornbread mix  (Martha White, Aunt Jamima or whatever brand I can find) because it has everything I need for my cornbread already measured out in one package and I just need to add the wet ingredients :trampolin ... I also tend to double the recipe to make a fuller skillet... If you use individual packaged cornbread mix you will need 2 to make a fuller skillet...again, as with my mac and cheese recipe, I don't really measure anything, it's by taste and look...this is how we like our cornbread dressing, so it may not be to your liking, and that's OK, use this as a guide and tweak it how you like...so, on to the ingredient list...

Ingredients:

Prepared Cornbread

1 cup Onion, chopped as small as you like it

1 cup Green pepper, chopped as small as you like it

1 cup Celery, chopped as small as you like it

1 lb Sweet Italian Sausage

2-3 cans of any of the following soups in any combination (undiluted), Cream of Mushroom Soup/Cream of Chicken Soup/Cream of Celery Soup

32 oz Chicken Stock/Broth (may also use fresh juices from turkey), you will need more or less depending on how dry/wet you like your dressing...I normally only need one container

2 Eggs

1 stick of Butter

1 tsp Poultry Seasoning (a must and can add more if needed)

1 tsp Sage (optional and more or less can be added)

Salt and Pepper, to taste

Buttered 9 x 13 dish (or deeper)

Preheat oven to 350

1. Melt the butter in a pan and saute all the vegetables until soft, remove from heat.

2. Cook Italian Sausage and chop small. 

3. Break cornbread up with your hands in a large bowl or big pot (your volume will increase as you begin to add all the ingredients so make sure your mixing container is big enough), add veggies and sausage. Stir.

4. Add your poultry seasoning, sage and pepper (DO NOT add salt yet), mix again.

5. Stir in your cream soups.

6. Pour your stock/broth in a little at a time, the consistency you are looking for is moist, but not too loose/soupy... I usually use one 32 oz container to get the right consistency...

7. Taste to see if you have the right amount of seasonings and add more if needed , also salt at this point if needed as well.

8. Once it tastes how you want it, add the eggs, mix well and pour into buttered dish.

9. Bake until the dressing is set, about 35-45 minutes.

If you don't want to make as much you can always halve the recipe...

• Like 3

Y’all are soo great... I am going to give the dressing a go before the holidays. Thank y’all for a starting point in all this madness. My mother in law was diagnosed with brain cancer 3 weeks ago. I am just trying to fill in the gaps.
  • Like 3

Y’all are soo great... I am going to give the dressing a go before the holidays. Thank y’all for a starting point in all this madness. My mother in law was diagnosed with brain cancer 3 weeks ago. I am just trying to fill in the gaps.

Glad to help, prayers for your MIL...

So this is from like a 90 year old grandma at church. This is a guide and not a recipe per say. Now having said this is AWESOME. Since trying this at a church potluck and getting her "recipe" we no longer have a holiday gathering where this isn't requested.

Sweet Potato Casserole:

Sweet potatoes boiled and mashed in a bowl.

Sprinkle some sugar in them and mix.

Put one can of condensed milk in them and stir.

Then put a tsp of vanilla in them and mix.

Spread out in a casserole dish.

For the topping:

Two or three cups of pecans in a separate bowl mix them with about a half or three quarter cup of flour then add a whole box brown sugar and maybe some of another box.

Then melt butter enough to add to the topping mixture to get it to spread.

Spread it on top of the sweet potatoes and put in the oven until it bubbles.

• Like 5

So this is from like a 90 year old grandma at church. This is a guide and not a recipe per say. Now having said this is AWESOME. Since trying this at a church potluck and getting her "recipe" we no longer have a holiday gathering where this isn't requested.

Sweet Potato Casserole:

For the topping:

Two or three cups of pecans in a separate bowl mix them with about a half or three quarter cup of flour then add a whole box brown sugar and maybe some of another box.

I make a similar one, but mine has a stick of butter, eggs, evaporated milk, more than a sprinkle of sugar (lol), cinnamon, vanilla, and a can of crushed pineapples (drained) added to the mix...the topping is one with toasted marshmallows and then one with the pecan crumble...

• Like 2

I make a similar one, but mine has a stick of butter, eggs, evaporated milk, more than a sprinkle of sugar (lol), cinnamon, vanilla, and a can of crushed pineapples (drained) added to the mix...the topping is one with toasted marshmallows and then one with the pecan crumble...

I think the sprinkle of sugar is because of the condensed milk being sweetened and the mass amounts of brown sugar in the topping melting down. :)

It's like eating a pie.

• Like 2

I think the sprinkle of sugar is because of the condensed milk being sweetened and the mass amounts of brown sugar in the topping melting down. :)

It's like eating a pie.

Yup...using sweetened condensed milk, doesn't need much sugar added to it...it is so good and is usually the first item to go...

Sweet Potato Casserole:

For the topping:

I dontreally care for sweet potatoes, but I might have to try this!

Sweet Potato Casserole:

For the topping:

How many pounds of sweet potatoes do you normally use?

Sweet Potato Casserole:

For the topping:

Lord Jesus !!!!!!! YES !!!!!! 

Crushed Pineapples ??? Okay send me one and I promise I will be honest...just cook it and send it to me....like today - LOL 

• Like 2

I sent it to a Friend and I hope they can make it, if not looks like I am going to have to become a chef

Trust me when I tell you, if your friend can't make it you can...it's that easy...boil (whole), bake or microwave the potatoes...mash the potatoes (I use my Kitchenaid) and add the other ingredients, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and evap milk is to your likeness and amount of sweet tatoes you use (taste and consistency)...eggs, I usually use 2 (usually), drain the crushed pineapples and stir into mixture...put into baking dish, bake for about 20 minutes on 350, add marshmallows if desired and bake until toasted...

• Like 1

GREAT thread!  Saving these recipes!  I am a huge cook/baker so this is right up my alley!  Sounds like you have a lot going on so I went through my files for some easy things:

No Name But Amazing Appetizer:  1 container marinated mozzarella balls + 1 small clam shell grape tomatoes (red ones, purple ones, yellow ones - it’s all good!)...Cut tomatoes in half.  Mix entire contents of cheese container, oil and all with the tomatoes. Chill for at least 2 hours. Serve on toasted baguette slices - grab baguette from the bakery.

Easiest Bread Dip Ever:  1 container sour cream (16 oz) + 1 packet Lipton’s Vegetable Soup Mix + 1 round loaf of bakery bread...Mix sour cream and soup mix packet, chill at least an hour or two.  Hollow out middle of bread loaf, reserving bread pieces. Place chilled sour cream mixture in bread, place bread on large platter, surround with saved bread pieces for dipping.  Supply knife for cutting more pieces out of bread for dipping.

Quick Stuffed Mushrooms: Small button mushrooms (as many as you're wanting to make) + boxed/frozen Spinach Artichoke Dip  + Seasoned bread crumbs -- Pull stems from mushrooms (throw away or finely chop and use to stretch filling) then fill with thawed dip and top with bread crumbs.  Broil until crumbs turn golden/filling is hot.

Spicy Fruity Cream Cheese Cracker Appetizer:  1 block of cream cheese topped with 1 jar of raspberry fruit spread mixed with one jar of red pepper jelly - serve with crackers - YUM!!!

You asked about desserts?  Fill store bought pie crusts with the following filling.  Very easy and thickens up like magic!  Top with the crumble/crisp topping (further down).

Stovetop Apple Pie Filling

Ingredients

• 4 medium apples (Granny Smith are best IMHO, but just avoid eating apples like Red Delicious)

• 3 tablespoons water

• 2 tablespoons butter

• 1 teaspoon cinnamon

• 1/3 cup sugar

• 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cornstarch

• 2 tablespoons water

Instructions

1. Peel, core and slice apples.

2. Melt butter and cinnamon over medium heat. Stir in apples, sugar & 3 tablespoons water.

3. Cover and cook stirring occasionally for 4-6 minutes or until very slightly softened.

4. In a small dish combine cornstarch and water. Add to pan while stirring and continue to cook until apples are soft (not mushy) and filling is thickened. Let bubble 1 minute. Cool.

Notes

Some apples are juicier than others. If you would like your filling thicker, combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water. Add a little at a time while the mixture is boiling until you reach desired consistency.

Crisp/Crumble Topping - Use over pies or over store bought pie filling spread in a pan to make an easy crisp/cobbler.  Serve with ice cream if desired.

¾ c. firmly packed brown sugar

½ c. flour

½ c. oats

¾ tsp cinnamon

¾ tsp nutmeg

1/3 c. softened butter

Cut the butter into the other ingredients with a pastry blender or two butter knives.  Sprinkle over pie filling - bake at 350 until crust is browning and topping is golden and filling piping hot!  30 minutes?
  • Like 3

I am going to try the apple pie filling soon. The next trip to the grocery store!!

It is 25 miles from my home to a grocery store so I try to keep the trips down to once or twice a week. That recipe is almost making me leave now!!!

• Like 1