Strangest thing you've seen on Black Friday?

stationchief

I don't know if people consider it strange, but it makes me angry when I see parents bringing newborn babies or small kids in their pjs out shopping. The kids look like they'd rather be home in bed and who can get any shopping done when you're carting along a newborn? With those big BF crowds, I'd be afraid someone could snatch the kids away or, in the case of newborns, spreading all those germs to them. I'm fortunate that my hubby was always able to keep the kids at home while my sister and I went BF shopping. If I didn't have anyone to stay with the kids, I'd have skipped shopping that day and went on another day. Maybe I'm just an old coot, but that really bothers me.

• Like 6

Warning: Mine is nasty!

A couple of years ago, Wal-Mart had these sets of 2 large plastic trucks for kids for something like $20. Quite a few were selling at our store and I grabbed one up. My teenage son was with me and we noticed there was an awful smell that we could not escape. It smelled like vomit. We finally realized it was coming from the package of trucks we had grabbed. We decided to exchange it for another pack, so we went back to the pallet and they were all covered in splatters of what I assume was vomit. We ended up finding a separate pile of them that were clean, but while I didn't see it happen, presumably someone hit the Thanksgiving dinner too hard, lost their meal on the toys, and then either no one noticed it or at least no one told a WM employee, leaving dozens of parents to buy vomit splattered toys for their children. :(

I remember a VERY long time ago (about 2007-ish) during Black Friday season when McDonald's and Best Buy did their Monopoly Best Buy Bucks promotion. That's when you might've heard the term 'dumpster diving' for those BBB. You'd find people at their local McD's jumping into their garbage bins throughout the evening looking for those unpeeled drink cups with $1-$5 tickets on them. Who knows what else they found in there :yuck:

Surprised more people weren't like me and just send hundreds of envelopes to the promotion and got all my BBB in the mail for an external hard drive on Black Friday.

Warning: Mine is nasty!

A couple of years ago, Wal-Mart had these sets of 2 large plastic trucks for kids for something like $20. Quite a few were selling at our store and I grabbed one up. My teenage son was with me and we noticed there was an awful smell that we could not escape. It smelled like vomit. We finally realized it was coming from the package of trucks we had grabbed. We decided to exchange it for another pack, so we went back to the pallet and they were all covered in splatters of what I assume was vomit. We ended up finding a separate pile of them that were clean, but while I didn't see it happen, presumably someone hit the Thanksgiving dinner too hard, lost their meal on the toys, and then either no one noticed it or at least no one told a WM employee, leaving dozens of parents to buy vomit splattered toys for their children. :(

Now see, if that had been me Walmart would have had another vomit mess to clean up because I would have gotten sick from the smell and the splatter alone. Lol.

• Like 4

It's not all that weird, but it never ceases to amaze me at the people that go shopping on Black Friday who are just on their normal trip browsing throughout the entire store.  Since Walmart is about the only place I go anymore, I've seen countless people just taking their time with carts half full with food and an occasional other item or two.  Maybe they just wanted a couple BF deals and figured to get the rest of their shopping done, but I don't think I could do that, I'd want to get out of there as soon as possible.

• Like 6

It's not all that weird, but it never ceases to amaze me at the people that go shopping on Black Friday who are just on their normal trip browsing throughout the entire store.  Since Walmart is about the only place I go anymore, I've seen countless people just taking their time with carts half full with food and an occasional other item or two.  Maybe they just wanted a couple BF deals and figured to get the rest of their shopping done, but I don't think I could do that, I'd want to get out of there as soon as possible.

I agree. Grocery shopping on Black Friday? Weird.

• Like 3

Because curious minds want to know! What is the most unusual/weirdest/downright strangest thing you've ever seen in your history of Black Friday shopping?

And no, paper money doesn't count :P

Years ago, when Best Buy was the place to be at 3am on BF morning, I remember making friends with the folks behind us, chit chatting for what felt like at least an hour...with no mention of additional party member or Tagalongs...then out pops this 6-7ish year old kid from one of those lidded hand carts, all bundled up and chillin in her PJ’s playing her handheld video game and drinking hot chocolate. It was so funny...so bizarre...

• Like 6

Because curious minds want to know! What is the most unusual/weirdest/downright strangest thing you've ever seen in your history of Black Friday shopping?

And no, paper money doesn't count :P

At Bass Pro last year the Fire Dept was called due to someone brought a fire pit and had it sitting in the “creek” area over the walkway bridge! Nothing was on fire. The man was told by cops to move it and was given a ticket!

Streakers!

When you consider that I live in New England where Thanksgiving is usually pretty chilly, it makes the story even funnier.

This was a few years ago when Thanksgiving openings were still pretty new. I think Kohl's opened at 10pm that night. My husband and I weren't planning on going out, but we were driving home at the right time, so we jumped in line. All of a sudden, 3 naked young men started running past the store entrance, right as the doors were opening. It was quite a sight. We couldn't stop laughing!

• Like 6

I don't know if people consider it strange, but it makes me angry when I see parents bringing newborn babies or small kids in their pjs out shopping. The kids look like they'd rather be home in bed and who can get any shopping done when you're carting along a newborn? With those big BF crowds, I'd be afraid someone could snatch the kids away or, in the case of newborns, spreading all those germs to them. I'm fortunate that my hubby was always able to keep the kids at home while my sister and I went BF shopping. If I didn't have anyone to stay with the kids, I'd have skipped shopping that day and went on another day. Maybe I'm just an old coot, but that really bothers me.

That always bothers me too.  What's even worse is the parents yelling and cussing at the young kids because you know they are just very tired.  My daughter went BF shopping with me at Walmart for the first time when she was 8 or 9 (can't remember).  Even then, it was because she had saved her money to buy herself a trampoline.  My husband and our older boys went (they were 16 or 17).  I let her walk around the store with her brothers for a while and then when it started to get more crowded she had to come stand in line with me because I just was not comfortable with her being around the big rush.  My husband grabbed a few things and then met me.  He took her to the car while I paid for everything.

She went BF shopping with my friend and I last year, but not to Walmart.  My husband and I went to Walmart and she stayed with my dad.  Then, we picked her up and came home and slept for a while.  We got up around 3 and went out of town to do the rest of our shopping.  She told me earlier that she doesn't think she wants to go BF shopping this year..lol.  She was 11 at the time, but she is not my shopper.  I think she enjoyed it for a while, but got tired.  

I did have to take my boys with me when they were 5.  Another friend and I went.  She had her two boys with her too (4 and 5 at the time).  We put them all in one buggy so one of us could keep our eye on them at all times.  Of course, this is back when we had the 5 AM openings (which I really miss).  We also live in the south so we don't have to deal with extremely cold weather either.

• Like 3

I agree with the grocery shopping at Walmart right before the sale starts!!!  I can understand the people that forgot an item for their supper meal or something like that, but I watched person after person get annoyed because they couldn't get to the cheese and deli meat because the DVD's and video games were blocking it.  The Walmart staff would lift up the plastic tape to let them shop and then move all those displays for someone to get their items! 

I WAS one of those moms with a baby along (she is now 20+) in her umbrella stroller with sunshade.  At K-B Toys way early in the morning with the family, my older niece was pulling a sled with items (she was also the designated runner because the line was 90 minutes long) and other "special" things were on the sunshade of the stroller.  Baby slept through the whole thing. 

At Bass Pro last year the Fire Dept was called due to someone brought a fire pit and had it sitting in the “creek” area over the walkway bridge! Nothing was on fire. The man was told by cops to move it and was given a ticket!

In the early days we used a fire pit on wheels and always cooked on it!

I think one of the weirdest things was my experience in Wal-Mart last year... I went at maybe 5am and it was empty. I didn't go for any big doorbusters, just little ones like socks and slippers. But I had the place to myself. It was unnerving.

I have heard of that phenomenon. A friend had to visit his mom in Lady lake FL years ago and found the stores to be strangely lacking customers, even Best Buy. It turned out that some of the stores were built around a massive retirement population and they didn't change with the times and stayed home when we switched to Thursday!

• Like 1

By far, the strangest thing has been the legend of the drunk guy. He started out years ago (about 2009-10) standing in line (drunk) but very agreeable. From time to time we would see him exchanging pleasantries (and burps) with us, and other line mates. Then one year he stumbled into our televised interview and made it on air! He was always there for a ticketed item, often waiting overnight. The last time we saw him, he was drunk inside of Best Buy and was sitting next to our wives (2015) and was actually conducting a transaction for a new phone! He was able to stumble out of the door first and talked to us about the deal he got early (Wednesday). Our wives then came out after drunk guy was seen driving away in a pickup truck and claimed that a drunk guy was hitting on them. We asked if he was disrespectful, but they said no, he was nice to them, just overly friendly.

A year later we learned that he had worked on the same base as us for many years. Go figure!

A woman returning a bottle of nail polish to Walmart on BF!  

A yeah, no...lol...anyone who does a return or grocery shopping on BF is just clueless, imo...a something to drink or a candy bar to tide you over (maybe even pain meds), I get it, but not for a whole list of items...