Favorite holiday traditions

Elmck

the saran wrap ballis a game we do. You start buy putting something in the center then wrap saran wrap around it to start a ball. we stop every few wraps and tear it off and start another place adding different items as we go(gum, candy, banadas, playing cards, mints, scratch off tickets etc..) i usually use about 2 boxes of clear plastic wrap. the ball is quite large when im finished and we rolls 2 dice to see who has the highest number goes first. The person trying to unwrap the ball starts with the person in front of him rolling dice until they get doubles of something then they take the ball and try to unwrap it. This is done in a cirlce so someone is always unwrapping and the person in front of them are always trying to get doubles to take the ball. Its so much fun. whatever you unwrap you get to keep. I make a trip to dollar tree and get all kinds of things. lol

• Like 1

We have a tradition where we open at least one gift on Christmas Eve and then open the rest Christmas morning.  This year will be a little different though, so not sure what we will do.  I have one son who is married and I have to work Christmas Eve and Christmas day from 7 am-7 pm.  I am not sure if the two still at home will want to get up early Christmas morning and open presents or wait until I get off to open gifts.  I don't really want to open everything Christmas Eve because it just wouldn't be the same..

We have a tradition where we open at least one gift on Christmas Eve and then open the rest Christmas morning.  This year will be a little different though, so not sure what we will do.  I have one son who is married and I have to work Christmas Eve and Christmas day from 7 am-7 pm.  I am not sure if the two still at home will want to get up early Christmas morning and open presents or wait until I get off to open gifts.  I don't really want to open everything Christmas Eve because it just wouldn't be the same..

Awwww that's a bummer...the fun part for me as the mom is watching them open their gifts and anticipating their excitement...I would definitely give them the option of getting up super early to open gifts or waiting until you got home...

That's hard. Maybe, just maybe they would surprise you at work or come up on your break and yall can do the gifts there. Maybe not what you want but you all would be together. My sister had to work on Thanksgiving one year so we packed up coolers and brought folding tables and we ate on her lunch break. She cried most of the time but if there is a way we always try to be together

• Like 4

Our Christmas Eve tradition for the past 30 years is going to the mall about 11 a.m. We don't really need a lot by then,but sometimes find a last minute deal. We always have lunch at the Food Court. Then we go to 5 o'clock Mass and afterwards,the big family gathering with lots of food,games and family time! Christmas Day is always opening presents with the kids still at home and later in the evening,the Christmas Dinner with the rest of the kids/families. And always, A Christmas Story playing in the background!

I have always let my girls have their stocking Christmas Eve....I believe they look forward to those then their actual gifts the next morning...lol.....My oldest daughter is recently married and she is still going to come over that night and get hers....I need to add her husband a stocking now .

• Like 1

I have always let my girls have their stocking Christmas Eve....I believe they look forward to those then their actual gifts the next morning...lol.....My oldest daughter is recently married and she is still going to come over that night and get hers....I need to add her husband a stocking now .

I still get a stocking and I love it with all my heart! :)

• Like 2

My husband and I only stuff stockings for one another anymore. We agreed it was our favorite part of Christmas morning. It’s nice to skip the stress and expense of buying a ton of gifts in addition to the stocking.

• Like 2

I do stockings but must not be doing them right or not paying attention to well..... I will have to see this year how they react. 

• Like 1

We have a ton of things we just seem to gravitate towards during the Christmas season, but probably my favorite is Christmas Eve.  We go to church and afterwards get Chinese food. This started almost 20 years ago when DH and I were first married and spent a Christmas at my parents'.  My father passed away the next year, but for some reason this one stuck, and we've done it every year since. 

Other close seconds: bundling everyone up in the car in pajammies, with hot cocoa, driving around to look at christmas lights.  Also, going to a movie on Christmas day in the afternoon after all the company leaves.  Or, in years when we get snow on Christmas, getting out the ATVs to race around in the snow. 

This thread makes me warm and fuzzy :2wiggle:

Something else I do - I have two favorite Christmas CDs (I have many others, but two at the top of my list). When I go out to start my "in-store" BF shopping is when they find their way into my car's CD player. TobyMac's Christmas in Diverse City and MercyMe's The Christmas Sessions. Good stuff all the way through. TobyMac gets play when I need some fun energy, MercyMe when I want more of the "traditional" Christmas sound. Both keep me energized throughout the season. :)