Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

Will all the store closing hurt consumers this year - less deals?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 arci122  OFFLINE  

arci122

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 11, 2018 - 3:12 am

With Kmart Sears and Toys R Us closing stores, I am a little worried that with less competition, we won't find as good of deals this year.  Even JC Penney closed 8 stores this year.

I know the circle of life for retail usually brings in new ones, we just are not seeing them in the Northeast.  Remember the days of Ames, Bradley's, Calador, Jamesway, Woolworth, Montgomery Wards (ok, I'm showing my age).

#2 budgetsRsexy  ONLINE  

budgetsRsexy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 Posts
  • Member since 2016

Posted Sep 11, 2018 - 3:43 am

With online competition steadily increasing I’m hoping that will force the brick and mortar stores to remain competitive. That being said, I’m hoping that we will see the in store hours starting to shift back to later in the day and eventually to Friday in the next several years. With so much shopping being done online I’m hoping stores will realize it’s cheaper to not open the physical stores on Thanksgiving and to just staff their online support people.

Sent from my iPhone using GottaDEAL

#3 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 21,074 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 11, 2018 - 5:04 am

With online competition steadily increasing I’m hoping that will force the brick and mortar stores to remain competitive. That being said, I’m hoping that we will see the in store hours starting to shift back to later in the day and eventually to Friday in the next several years. With so much shopping being done online I’m hoping stores will realize it’s cheaper to not open the physical stores on Thanksgiving and to just staff their online support people.

I can't see that happening anymore. The outrage of 4-5 years ago over Thanksgiving openings has nearly all subsided and it's just accepted now. Keeping stores open one extra day costs virtually nothing compared to the extra sales they get that day.

#4 tracy0504  OFFLINE  

tracy0504

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 Posts
  • Member since 2013

Posted Sep 11, 2018 - 8:10 am

Sent from my iPhone using GottaDEAL

Yeah, I think having Thanksgiving all day with family on Thanksgiving is a thing of the past now...I wouldn't mind going back to the old ways, but I think we are used to it and too many stores and customers have conformed to this new "normal", myself included... 

#5 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 11, 2018 - 10:03 am

Yeah, I think having Thanksgiving all day with family on Thanksgiving is a thing of the past now...I wouldn't mind going back to the old ways, but I think we are used to it and too many stores and customers have conformed to this new "normal", myself included... 

Still a thing with us. I don't and won't go out shopping until my normal times. We eat lot's of food and watch lot's of football on Thanksgiving.

#6 mommyofanangelb  OFFLINE  

mommyofanangelb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 11, 2018 - 5:11 pm

Oh how I wish that we could back to the ways used to be with the early morning openings on BF and most stores closed on TG but as previously said, I know that’s just wishful thinking. Sadly, it is the “new norm.”
"Oooh fuuudge! Only I didn't say "Fudge." I said THE word, the big one, the queen-mother of dirty words, the 'F-dash-dash-dash' word! ---Ralphie

#7 hoits2000  OFFLINE  

hoits2000

Deal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 11, 2018 - 6:38 pm

Absolutely.

I also think most stores will open early on thanksgiving and close at midnight again and reopen early in the morning on Bock Friday. It’s almost like it used to be. Stores need to have different sales for each event. Thursday’s specific sales and Friday specific sales like some did last year. To really pull the excitement and get folks to come out both days.

#8 hack2222  OFFLINE  

hack2222

• 1,010 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 13, 2018 - 11:51 pm

It will have to be with Sales Only in Store that's the only way to change the online shopping.  Better make it good.

All non-active member requests are DENIED for Help, anyone else will be helped.

#9 jesusluvu  OFFLINE  

jesusluvu

• 1,040 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 14, 2018 - 5:58 am

Yep,

But it opens the door for online shopping. The only thing is the online shopping is not guaranteed. They can cancel the order, lose it in shipping, etc. It is nothing like having that gift or item in hand and know you can check it off. 

Absolutely.

I also think most stores will open early on thanksgiving and close at midnight again and reopen early in the morning on Bock Friday. It’s almost like it used to be. Stores need to have different sales for each event. Thursday’s specific sales and Friday specific sales like some did last year. To really pull the excitement and get folks to come out both days.

Yes the different sales at different times is a must. 

#10 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 2,228 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 14, 2018 - 6:07 am

Yep,

But it opens the door for online shopping. The only thing is the online shopping is not guaranteed. They can cancel the order, lose it in shipping, etc. It is nothing like having that gift or item in hand and know you can check it off. 

Yes the different sales at different times is a must. 

As I seem to recall at some places like Wal-Mart having it in hand doesn't mean you're getting it either. I see the news stories every year of beat down's for towels or a toaster or some other silly thing. ;)

#11 Bopeep  OFFLINE  

Bopeep

• 1,144 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 14, 2018 - 6:38 am

As I seem to recall at some places like Wal-Mart having it in hand doesn't mean you're getting it either. I see the news stories every year of beat down's for towels or a toaster or some other silly thing. ;)

Oh, if it's in my hand I'm getting it.

(That's my attempt at sounding much tougher than I really am. LOL)

#12 wittenlover  OFFLINE  

wittenlover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 14, 2018 - 6:48 am

Yeah! Come at me bro (or sis)!!!  :wife:  :gdboxer:  :rotflol:

For those curious: Kitty in my pic is current furbaby, Mew, curled up in a box far too small for her. Ha! "If I fits, I sleeps!"

NASCAR fan (particularly JGR pit crews - many friends there), diehard UM Wolverine fan, animal lover, car girl, cookie baker, singer, bargain hunter. Yep. That about covers it. lol :cool:

#13 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 2,228 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 14, 2018 - 8:17 am

I remember one year almost throwing down with a guy in Best Buy. He wanted a GPS so bad he almost knocked a visibly VERY prego woman down to get in front of us. Explained to him for his own safety he should probably leave at that point. I'm not a small guy and neither was my Brother In-Law standing right next to me. :fryingpan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users