Official Black Friday TELEVISIONS Discussion Thread

Brad

As always, we have several dedicated threads for the hotter items each Black Friday. Please try to keep all discussion related to these items in their official threads. Other threads posted will likely be merged into this main thread.

• Like 1

Going to look for a Sony 4K this year. Let’s see if I get a good deal lol

I'm watching but man, they don't do many discounts on those Sonys. I've had my eye on the X800E/X900E since last fall and the price hasn't really moved, even though the F series sets are out now. That said, I'm definitely keeping an eye out. 

• Like 1

I have been holding out buying a new tv for months, because last year there were tv sales left and right. I am hoping for a good deal this year, since I've waited.

Same for me.  My son was changing the battery in his airsoft gun. He thought it was empty and had shook it and everything, but two bullets were lodged somewhere in the gun, and when he put the new battery in, it went off..It shot two bullets right in the side of my TV.  It went in just enough to mess up the TV..

So, we've not had a TV in the living room for about 4 months.  I almost bought one, but decided to hold out until BF, or at least closer to Christmas, since there are usually decent deals during that time.  We have a 32 inch now, hoping to get a good deal on a bigger one. :)

Same for me.  My son was changing the battery in his airsoft gun. He thought it was empty and had shook it and everything, but two bullets were lodged somewhere in the gun, and when he put the new battery in, it went off..It shot two bullets right in the side of my TV.  It went in just enough to mess up the TV..

So, we've not had a TV in the living room for about 4 months.  I almost bought one, but decided to hold out until BF, or at least closer to Christmas, since there are usually decent deals during that time.  We have a 32 inch now, hoping to get a good deal on a bigger one. :)

Ours was fine until the electric company shut the power off to our section of the pole last spring to fix the other section that had an issue.  We had the tv on and no warning.  Since then it has like a swirling red/black design on it. I called them told them and they told me they aren't responsible because they were responding to an issue. I said but, it wasn't our section that had the issue. Did no good.  :(

65" TVs are now more affordable than ever and 55" TVs are ridiculously cheap! Depending upon the size you are after, you can save enough to still get a soundbar!

This may be the first year I am really not in need of a tv......Well I could use a new one for my game system if I ever open it and play it.........

There you go....the game system is calling to you. Did you buy an XBONE or PS4?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For those with the AppleTV device, you know that means free upgrades to 4K. Codes can be found to get the UHD with HDR popping on your new 4K television for as little as $2.50 if you know where to look. Now we have learned that yet another player might be about to do the same thing: Google Play Movies & TV. The advantage here is that you do not have to pay the hefty price that comes with a closed system like Apple. Google Play is found on virtually all of your most common Android based products, including Smart TVs (LG, Samsung, Vizio) and smart boxes like the ROKU Ultra or Premium Plus. Just remember that the point here is to get 4K, so I am not listing all devices like NVIDIA Shield (costly)or TVs that can host the play store. If your Smart 4K TV has ROKU built in, like TCL for example, it may be able to take advantage of the upgrades. I own one so I will test this shortly. I will leave a link to the article which explains why they think this will happen.https://www.androidcentral.com/4k-upgrades-could-be-coming-google-play-movies-and-they-might-be-free

I’m looking for a super cheap 32” tv for my sons college dorm room. If I find one great, if not oh well. It’d be nice to surprise him with it but he’s not asking and I don’t need it.

I suggest you keep an eye out for a TCL Roku TV.  These are particularly nice for a dorm since they integrate QAM tuners (for dorm cable television) with Prime/Netflix apps (binging) and 'to go' apps (so they can leverage your premium account features).

https://www.tclusa.com/blog/college-dorm-room-tv

Maybe you can win one!

https://steamykitchen.com/47000-tcl-roku-smart-led-tv-giveaway.html

Or just buy one at Walmart for $150...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TCL-32-Class-HD-720P-Roku-Smart-LED-TV-32S305/55577812

• Like 1

Interesting article.  Kind of surprised CR provided that information outside their paywall.  Not shopping for a new TV (no airsoft in the house!) but I downloaded the article for future reference. 

No playing airsoft in our house either..lol.  It was just one of those crazy accidents.  He was just changing the battery because he and some friends were getting ready to go into the woods to play..:)  

It was an interesting article.

65" TVs are now more affordable than ever and 55" TVs are ridiculously cheap! Depending upon the size you are after, you can save enough to still get a soundbar!

There you go....the game system is calling to you. Did you buy an XBONE or PS4?

We have a 32 inch now and we are thinking of getting a bigger one if we can get one around the 150.00 range.  My son needs a new TV in his room too.  His is about 10 years old and the buttons just don't work very well anymore, the remote doesn't work very well, and the HDMI ports don't work.  I will get him at least a 40", maybe a bigger one if the price is right.

I suggest you keep an eye out for a TCL Roku TV.  These are particularly nice for a dorm since they integrate QAM tuners (for dorm cable television) with Prime/Netflix apps (binging) and 'to go' apps (so they can leverage your premium account features).

https://www.tclusa.com/blog/college-dorm-room-tv

Maybe you can win one!

https://steamykitchen.com/47000-tcl-roku-smart-led-tv-giveaway.html

Or just buy one at Walmart for $150...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TCL-32-Class-HD-720P-Roku-Smart-LED-TV-32S305/55577812

TCl is one of my new favorites! She may find a Hisense in that category with Roku for under $99 on BF.

• Like 1

For those looking for a new TV. Try to ensure your new TV has HDR (High Dynamic Range). It is a technique used in imaging to reproduce a greater dynamic range of luminosity to enhance the picture. When watching Netflix 4K shows or 4K UHD Blu-ray, it can really make a difference.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, target has some good TV deals.

Will Walmart have better ones?

I'm looking for two. I'm hoping for 40 inch, but i can settle for 32. Looks like target at $79 for a 32 is the best deal so far. Anyone find something better?

Walmart and Best Buy should have similar sales.

For those looking for a new TV. Try to ensure your new TV has HDR (High Dynamic Range). It is a technique

used in imaging to reproduce a greater dynamic range of luminosity to enhance the picture. When watching Netflix 4K shows or 4K UHD Blu-ray, it can really make a difference.

And be careful buying a TCL or Visio. They have bad quality control and customer support and alot of defects get through.

And be careful buying a TCL or Visio. They have bad quality control and customer support and alot of defects get through.

I have two of the TCL sets.  One did fail and TCL sent a guy to my home to fix it.  Tech support was awesome and I am happy with the set and my purchase.

II know cheap Doorbuster TVs can be enticing, but I only see them as a secondary TV or kids room type. Be careful if you are buying for your main TV. Cheap is good, but make sure you know what you are getting. It's amazing that you can get a 55 inch 4K TV for $200 or almost $2000. There must be some differences. A good site for LOTS of TV information is RTINGS.com (yes, I spelled it right). I did a lot of research before I bought my TV earlier this year. Try to get the best TV within your budget, not necessarily the cheapest (especially if you enjoy watching TV).

Ours was fine until the electric company shut the power off to our section of the pole last spring to fix the other section that had an issue.  We had the tv on and no warning.  Since then it has like a swirling red/black design on it. I called them told them and they told me they aren't responsible because they were responding to an issue. I said but, it wasn't our section that had the issue. Did no good.  :(

I always use a surge protector as I had a fairly new TV die because of that.

For those looking for a new TV. Try to ensure your new TV has HDR (High Dynamic Range). It is a technique used in imaging to reproduce a greater dynamic range of luminosity to enhance the picture. When watching Netflix 4K shows or 4K UHD Blu-ray, it can really make a difference.

Not every TV with “HDR” written on the box produces equally rich, lifelike images.

First of all, TVs are all over the map when it comes to picture quality, HDR or no HDR. But there are also challenges specific to this technology. Most notably, a TV might not be bright enough to really deliver on HDR. The reason why is differences in sets' “nits,” the units used to measure brightness.

Better-performing HDR TVs typically generate at least 600 nits of peak brightness, with top performers hitting 1,000 nits or more. But many HDR TVs produce only 100 to 300 nits. With an underpowered TV, the fire of a rocket launch becomes a single massive white flare. With a brighter television, you’d see tongues of fire and smoke, as if you were really there.

The benefits of HDR are often lost with mediocre displays.  Unfortunately, you can’t just read the packaging—or even rely on how the picture looks in the store.  Instead, you have to do your won due diligence and research before buying.

• Like 2

Not every TV with “HDR” written on the box produces equally rich, lifelike images.

First of all, TVs are all over the map when it comes to picture quality, HDR or no HDR. But there are also challenges specific to this technology. Most notably, a TV might not be bright enough to really deliver on HDR. The reason why is differences in sets' “nits,” the units used to measure brightness.

Better-performing HDR TVs typically generate at least 600 nits of peak brightness, with top performers hitting 1,000 nits or more. But many HDR TVs produce only 100 to 300 nits. With an underpowered TV, the fire of a rocket launch becomes a single massive white flare. With a brighter television, you’d see tongues of fire and smoke, as if you were really there.

The benefits of HDR are often lost with mediocre displays.  Unfortunately, you can’t just read the packaging—or even rely on how the picture looks in the store.  Instead, you have to do your won due diligence and research before buying.

True. That is why I posted the link to RTINGS.com so people could do research. The same could be same for posting refresh rates and such on the box; they are not all the same even though they claim to be. It took me a while before I decided on my TV; I didn't just go buy one.