GottaDEAL 2018 Black Friday T-Shirt Club Posting Thread

Brad

We were away for a few days and I knew I had packages coming ... I left a note on my door to put them in this extra large black trash bag (seriously a person could fit in it). I watched my UPS guy put them in it each day and even straighten my windblown rug. [emoji7]
  • Like 3

We were away for a few days and I knew I had packages coming ... I left a note on my door to put them in this extra large black trash bag (seriously a person could fit in it). I watched my UPS guy put them in it each day and even straighten my windblown rug. [emoji7]

It's nice to hear stories like this.  Thanks for posting.  

• Like 1

All in the person, some people care some just don't. Always nice to hear when someone get's one that does.

• Like 2

It's been hectic, but I'm here...this is my last week of school until mid January and I have a lot of work to get done in the next few days, doesn't help that I get migraines and I am down for the count when one hits...but it's two weeks til Christmas and only half of my wrapping is done...next week will be busy, busy, busy...

Sent from my SM-G930V using GottaDEAL mobile app

It's been hectic, but I'm here...this is my last week of school until mid January and I have a lot of work to get done in the next few days, doesn't help that I get migraines and I am down for the count when one hits...but it's two weeks til Christmas and only half of my wrapping is done...next week will be busy, busy, busy...

Sent from my SM-G930V using GottaDEAL mobile app

I suffer from migraines as well and lately I’ve been dealing with them more and more so I feel your pain. Hope it improves! I have not wrapped one gift yet; the next two weeks will certainly be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using GottaDEAL

Thank you for this information Len! I have been debating about getting an Amazon show since I currently have an echo but this would make it much easier for the kids to video call their grandparents, which of course means I would need to get them one too! This list is a good idea too to provide them (hope you don’t mind if I borrow it)

Merry Christmas everyone. We had a robust conversation about home automation in the BF Discussions which touched on some of the uses of some of the Amazon Echo devices. I have been smitten with the Amazon show. More important, my MOTHER has been smitten by the show. My mother is nearly 80 years old and has managed to avoid technology for nearly a century. I have installed computers which boot to social media. I disguised a tablet as an electronic picture frame which jumped into social media at a touch of the screen. To date, I have had no success at all.

A few months back, I invited my mother to dinner. She sat at the kitchen table as I prepared the meal and became curiouser and curiouser as I went about my business setting timers, asking for quantity conversions, and adding things to my grocery list. Then I asked Alexa to play a radio station and she had to ask what this thing was.

Since then, Alexa has added calling and 'drop in' features and, after using these myself, I have decided to put a show in my mother's kitchen. I was very fortunate to get one from QVC for $155 the week of BF (which included a smart outlet and a couple free subscriptions). Now I am compiling a list of 'skills' my mother might find useful. I'll laminate the list and tuck it under the show. Here is what I have so far. Please feel free to add suggestions as a reply to this message or via PM...

Communication...

• Alexa call [name of echo device]
  • Alexa answer
  • Alexa ignore
  • Alexa hangup
Timers
  • Alexa set a timer for ten minutes
  • Alexa set a turkey timer for 90 minutes
  • Alexa show timers
  • Alexa how much time is left on my turkey timer
  • Alexa cancel my turkey timer
  • Alexa stop
Alarms
  • Alexa set an alarm for 5:45pm
  • Alexa cancel alarm
  • Alexa set an alarm for 6:00am weekdays
  • Alexa cancel weekdays alarm at 6:00am
  • Alexa set an alarm for 10:00am weekends
  • Alexa cancel weekends alarm at 10:00am
  • Alexa set an alarm for everyday at 9:00am
  • Alexa cancel alarm for everyday at 8:00am
  • Alexa show alarms
  • Alexa stop
Kitchen Help
  • Alexa how many teaspoons in a table spoon
  • Alexa show me a recipe for hard boiled eggs
Music
  • Alexa play my Christmas list
  • Alexa play my 50s list
  • Alexa shuffle
  • Alexa turn off shuffle
  • Alexa play [call letters of radio station]
  • Alexa louder
  • Alexa softer
  • Alexa stop
Useful
  • Alexa what is the weather for today
  • Alexa what is the seven day forecast
  • Alexa what time is it
  • Alexa what day of the week does Christmas fall on
  • Alexa how many days until Jan. 20, 2021
  • Alexa what is the phone number for Home Depot
Fun
  • Alexa what happened on this day
  • Alexa whose birthday is it
  • Alexa what is in the news
  • Alexa tell me about [anything]
  • Alexa show photos
Merry Christmas!
Edited by rlbarajas
  • Like 1

I was looking to build a new computer around March/April of next year.  The way my computer has been acting the past few days (hdds are iffy), I may have to push that up.  I think I have it limping along again...

I guess I could rebuild this one.  It would probably work fine for several more years.  BUT, I need to convince DW that it is about to die otherwise a new build won't be approved.

I was looking to build a new computer around March/April of next year.  The way my computer has been acting the past few days (hdds are iffy), I may have to push that up.  I think I have it limping along again...

I guess I could rebuild this one.  It would probably work fine for several more years.  BUT, I need to convince DW that it is about to die otherwise a new build won't be approved.

Should be easy enough to do. If you think the HDD's are on the way out and they are SATA/IDE based just run the software to see if they are kicking up errors it monitors the SMART controls. If you are seeing ANY errors it's only a matter of time before one day they just make a head slapping sound and it's all over.

• Like 1

I'm going out the day after Christmas for the sales... And taxes. Really won't have any extra money when I'm done.

I found a lamp post decoration that I want to spray paint green and turn into a Sesame Street sign for my son's birthday in February. I thought about getting it today at 18, decided to wait and chance it to see if I could get a bit lower. I'll survive if I don't get it though, have a DIY version I can do.

Edited by MariahA

All in the person, some people care some just don't. Always nice to hear when someone get's one that does.

I love my UPS drivers! I could tell you lots of good stories about multiple drivers this past year.  I haven't had a bad UPS person come here yet. 

Who is ready for online clearance deals to start?  ME!  ME!  ME!

DD and I were just talking tonight that we should do Christmas gifts in January so we can shop day after Christmas sales and after return sales.  There may come a day when those sales are better than BF sales ?!?!?

I love my UPS drivers! I could tell you lots of good stories about multiple drivers this past year.  I haven't had a bad UPS person come here yet.

All the drivers do a remarkable job.  I have been watching a package get routed all over New England on its way to my house.  Finally showed up today.  It was $700 worth of Amazon gift cards.  I wan getting anxious.  Amazon gave me a free month of Prime, but I needed these things before Christmas.  I have been extended twice on Prime due to late arrivals.  It's a much better deal than getting a buck to 'no hurry'.  until Amazon buys the USPS, it seems like a safe bet that packages will be late.

DD and I were just talking tonight that we should do Christmas gifts in January so we can shop day after Christmas sales and after return sales.  There may come a day when those sales are better than BF sales ?!?!?

In my experience, there are no deals in that time frame.  Most of the stores maintain prices until the return period expires.  Right now is a very good time to shop.  I have been looking at the Propel Star Wars drones.  They started at $200.  Tonight I bought a pair at $75.  Got a More card to drop the price to $50.  Not to much merchandise on the shelves, but what is left is marked down.  I ventured out for some impulse spend yesterday and today.  Yesterday, I got out early before the snow got to be a problem.  I could not believe the crowds.  People are supposed to hit the stores BEFORE the storm.  Today, I went out after the freezing rain turned to rain.  It was a lot less crowded and I was able to do some shopping.