GottaDEAL 2018 Black Friday T-Shirt Club Posting Thread

Brad

We just finished our first week of school. Monday we start deployment of 33,000 chromebooks to the students. Today we found out that the vendor didn't place last years devices back in the correct storage slots in the boxes, so our plan of just grabbing them quickly out of the assigned slot just got harder. We had big enrollment changes, so over 500 devices had to be moved around today, and one of the supervisors provided incorrect information to his team (and ignored the printed signs I provided to make sure everything went to the right location), so that created a big mess. And then to top it off, we found out at 4pm that 2 schools had a box of devices (20 in each box) that smelled like... Well, they are smelly and not safe to distribute.

Did I mention distribution starts Monday? And oh, that I am inventory manager... Sigh...

Happy August.

Edited by bluebear
  • Like 1

I feel like Black Friday never ended this year.  I'm used to early starts and slow finishes, but it's been difficult to keep my wallet sheathed with so many great deals popping up every day.

I just bought another pair of Amazon Shows.  With all the discounts, cash back, and rebates, I ended up paying $68.16 per Show.  Pretty sweet.  I also found a $43 refrigerator crisper cover frame -- I would have found it a lot quicker if they had named it something better, but I cannot come up with a better name for the plastic assembly that holds the crisper drawers.  Later this morning, I will be picking up a new crock pot at Kohls.  Key features are a locking cover for travel, a temperature probe, and, of course, price.  With Kohls offering $10 in K-cash for pickup, I got an HB 6qt Set and Forget for $37.53.  

Next thing on my list is a smooth top electric range.  Feel free to offer suggestions and warnings.

@Brad: Ever consider partnering with Synchrony on a GottaDeal branded credit card?  Who wouldn't want to flash that on BF?  I just finished rationalizing my credit cards and I am only marginally happy with the results...

1. Discover: Deals, discounts, and rewards are not as good as in the past and it's not globally accepted, but they are a great company to do business with.  When Zaycon Fresh folded, Discover refunded my pre-pays in days.
  2. Kohls: All those 30% off deals, excellent integration of online and B&M, and very clean bathrooms!
  3. Amazon Prime: 5% on Amazon purchases.
  4. PayPal MasterCard: I went with this 2% off everything MasterCard.
  5. Ally Bank Visa: $100 bonus, 2% off gas and food, and 10% bonus when you deposit your rewards in one of their accounts

May add Lowes and Target cards for store discounts.

Edited by len_mullen
  • Like 1

So, I decided to upgrade my iPhone today at Sam's with their One-day sale gift card offer.  Let me tell you what, there is no way on god's green earth you could get me to upgrade on Black Friday or on their one-day sale they have in mid-November.  Talk about an extreme exercise in patience.  The couple in front of me to make an appointment wanted two phones, one for each kid.  Unfortunately for everyone in line, my Sam's did not have the color and configuration one kid wanted.  They freaking nearly argued with the girl making the appointments, like it was her fault they didn't have a Silver in the 8+.  Dude, it's a phone.  Either you're in or you're out.  They took at least 20 minutes to figure out what they wanted to do and make the stupid appointent.  My turn comes up and I'm hoping they have the 8 64 GB in gold.  If not I wasn't going to upgrade and out the door I would go peacefully.   Yay for me....they did and only one!  So, i stupidly make my appointment for 9 AM, right after the previous problem-causing couple.  BIG MISTAKE!  I return at 0840 AM to get in line and of course that couple was there, still undecided on what configurations of stupid phones to get for their stupid kids (not meant to offend but to vent LOL).  Sam's only had two people doing the phone upgrades and one making the appointments and taking the phone orders which in reality should have been enough because the mobile area wasn't overly crowded.  That poor poor soul who had to deal with this couple deserves overtime pay todayl  The wife kept trying to find the phone they wanted online on her phone and trying to upgrade on her phone and all kinds of nonsense.  The husband kept wandering off talking on his phone. They kept haggling over the fact that the 256 GB costs more than the 64 GB.  Naturally Sam's had the 256 GB in silver, which they didn't wasn't to seem to pay extra for.  

Meanwhile I'm in line with the other guy who is moving along with no issues.  In fact he finished the customer in process when I returned, did another customer and did most of my upgrade all the while this couple is still not bailing or getting whatever d**n phones Sam's has.  I swear to god it was amazing at the nonsense.  The husband finally said they would come back at 2 pm when they were scheduled for their tire appointment.  I don't know if they left with only one phone or two.  Honest to god when I heard him say that I laughed out loud......couldn't help it.  Got a few looks from other customers too.  :)     I probably could have gotten a better gift card deal if I had waited until the newer phones come out but I don't ever get the newest when they are released, I'm always a model behind and I don't mind.  I'm happy to have the $200 gift card and a new phone and I didn't cause my guy any trouble at all. 

Those of you who upgrade on or around BF, especially for your kiddos.....much kudos to you.  :)

• Like 4

Welcome to August!

I have never understood starting school in August.  Growing up in Dallas, school always started after Labor Day for me.  It has always been the same for my daughter who graduated HS in New York City this year.  She starts college just after Labor Day.  I like traveling the last two weeks of August because hotels are cheaper and easier to book and other travel arrangements are a bit easier than earlier in the summer.

• Like 1

And alternatively, I'm used to starting in August (even did when I was a kid), and being out by Memorial Day. When I hear of kids still still in school in June, I have the same thought... "I can't believe they are still in school in June!"

Someone told me once it has to do with the availability of AC in different regions. Not sure it's true, but since it's typically hotter in August than June, guess it would make sense to start school a little later. Or did historically. I've only visited North twice, and both were in the winter, so I don't know how that is.

when i went to school here in Florida the rule was we started after Labor Day, then they started getting earlier and earlier over the past decade, last year was the earliest August 10th, but i guess they decided this year that starting school for just 2 days during the week didnt make since so we start on Monday August 13th this year.

when i went to school here in Florida the rule was we started after Labor Day, then they started getting earlier and earlier over the past decade, last year was the earliest August 10th, but i guess they decided this year that starting school for just 2 days during the week didnt make since so we start on Monday August 13th this year.

I think starting the middle of the week would help adjusting to school schedule. If you start on Wednesday, it is Saturday before the exhaustion sets in.

Happy August!

• Like 2

Europe was incredible yes I did have to dodge couple people asking for money more than once but hey it comes with the territory lol i can’t wait to go back

School starts in 2 weeks and I just booked a Disney Christmas cruise for us! I’m so excited I’m a Disney world junkie never been on a cruise and beyond excited I got an awesome deal, anybody ever been ?

Sent from my iPhone using GottaDEAL

Happy August!!!! I have been wanting to go on one. I live near the port that disney sails alot from. I love how their ships look. Do you know which ship you will be on by chance?

Is that all? Well then... 

Black Friday I wait

Your deals always entice me

Where is the first ad? 

Well, some papers will have to be signed, and you'll have to get me the master recording tapes, and you will have to say good-bye to Phil here.

^^^ Hey Brad, any idea where that comes from?  No?  Feels like a contest!

• Like 2

Checking in for August!  Back to school tomorrow, YEAH!  :runaway:  It's hot as heck here. I think it was 105 today, probably about the same tomorrow. I think I am melting, lol. My son needed  a new phone, I was going to go to Sam's like HanShotFirst. I figured I would never get there early enough to get one of the 2 or 3 they probably had available. I ended up just getting it online with $100 instead of $200. Besides, I got his several days before the one day sale, I didn't want to wait and then end up not getting one. His processor or something actually died. He could not do anything related to phone service (make calls, texts, receive calls), he could only send and receive apple messages over wifi. Didn't want to make him suffer any more than he already had. I have actually upgraded on black friday twice. Walmart was ridiculous took about 45 minutes (and I was even 1st in line and had an appointment), Target however took a whole 10 minutes and I was out of there, gift card and all. Only a few months to go until BF....can't wait, although I cannot think of a thing that I will need to purchase. I am looking at building a custom home which will take about a year, so maybe BF 2019 I will have plenty of stuff to look for. Well, everyone stay cool....until next month.

• Like 1

Another month gone by and I'm sitting here thinking about how August is fair time in Missouri.  The State Fair is about 35 minutes away but I doubt I go this year as it doesn't sound too exciting.  I've only been maybe 5 times my entire life and while I enjoyed myself each time, I didn't find a ton of stuff to do.  In comparison I've gone to the Iowa State Fair once and have been dying to go back.  They have much more to do and a lot more activities like the Butter Cow.  The year I went in 2008 they celebrated local gymnast who was representing the USA in the Olympics that year- Shawn Johnson.  While I can't say I've ever met her, I can say I've seen a butter version of her, and it was pretty cool.  I didn't go to any concerts while I was there, but they also have better concerts and a lot of free ones too.  That being said, I did see Sheryl Crow at the Missouri State Fair once, and it was easily top 5 concerts I ever went to despite being upper level nosebleed seats.  If I could do it all over again, I wish I could have gotten better pictures.  I think I have a video up on Youtube of it though, so I can't complain too much.

Picked up some clearance toys at Walmart last night for Christmas for our nephew/niece. :)

I did the same at Target for the holiday toy donation boxes.  Need to check out Walmart too I guess.  

And alternatively, I'm used to starting in August (even did when I was a kid), and being out by Memorial Day. When I hear of kids still still in school in June, I have the same thought... "I can't believe they are still in school in June!"

Someone told me once it has to do with the availability of AC in different regions. Not sure it's true, but since it's typically hotter in August than June, guess it would make sense to start school a little later. Or did historically. I've only visited North twice, and both were in the winter, so I don't know how that is.

The high school that I attended had one building aptly named  Building 1 that was not air conditioned.  Back in the 80's in that school district there was a "no shorts allowed" policy for the classroom.....PE being the exception.  I live in the South.  Yep...….I died during the beginning of school because we started in August. We got out in late May unless we had to make up snow days.

Edited by HanShotFirst
  • Like 1

Any speculation on what store will have the best toys since Toys r Us is gone?

I'm pretty well done with kiddo's Christmas and birthday right after. Still need a tricycle and maybe a wooden trainset. Other then that, waiting on ads to see if there's anything awesome he'd like.

I would say Walmart.com for the tricycle.  Are you looking for Brio, Thomas, or something else?  If you haven't figured that out, take a look at this...

https://play-trains.com/best-wooden-train-sets/

I'm a Brio fan.  Best thing to do is add alerts on the various deal web sites and simply google Brio for the best value.  

About a hundred years ago, I got my kids a Brio train set.  I collected interesting sets from everywhere and assembled the whole thing on a table in the attic.  Once it was perfect, I took a picture and on Christmas Eve, I reassembled my masterpiece in front of the tree.  My wife was suspicious of what was really going on in the attic, but impressed with the finished product.  When the kids awoke Christmas morning, they were immediately drawn to the table.  My youngest took every single piece off the table, made an oval track, and pushed a couple cars around that.

• Like 3

There were some reports of a possible resurrection of a downsized Toys-R-Us (fewer stores) in late June as they were closing, but a Google search now shows no further sign of that talk.  They would have to be freed of any remaining debt that was associated with the company (that is what bankruptcy is for).  Maybe someone will create a new smaller national toy specialty chain under a different name?

I would say Walmart.com for the tricycle.  Are you looking for Brio, Thomas, or something else?  If you haven't figured that out, take a look at this...

https://play-trains.com/best-wooden-train-sets/

I'm a Brio fan.  Best thing to do is add alerts on the various deal web sites and simply google Brio for the best value.  

About a hundred years ago, I got my kids a Brio train set.  I collected interesting sets from everywhere and assembled the whole thing on a table in the attic.  Once it was perfect, I took a picture and on Christmas Eve, I reassembled my masterpiece in front of the tree.  My wife was suspicious of what was really going on in the attic, but impressed with the finished product.  When the kids awoke Christmas morning, they were immediately drawn to the table.  My youngest took every single piece off the table, made an oval track, and pushed a couple cars around that.

Brio and the Thomas wooden tracks/trains are interchangeable I think? We have a bunch of the magnetic Thomas trains so I was thinking maybe Thomas but I know they work on the cheaper sets that pop up for sale around Christmas. I don't want to go too crazy with them because he has a tub of battery powered trains and Trackmaster tracks in storage for either next or year after next Christmas/Birthday. But he's no where near big enough for those and he's been really liking the train set at B&N. So intro set.

I just hate buying everything online! But we're down to one mall, Walmarts, Target and a Sears that is supposedly going out of business sometime after the holidays.

Just packed the youngest son and sent him back off for his second year of college. :( We'll head up there in a few hours to take a second load. I usually handle college move-ins okay, but I don't think I'm going to do very well this time.

I never handle these things well.  I have one son who will never need me and another one who may never not need me and I feel bad about both.  Not sure we are meant to handle these things well.  Take comfort in all you have done to prepare your kids for life and accept that it is your nature to regret that you could not have done more.

• Like 6

Wow! I can’t believe August is just about half way over. Kids are about to go back to school! Where has this summer gone? We just came back from a trip to PA from TX. Thought is was going to get some relief from the heat, but nope...it followed us up there. Well I hope all is going well with everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using GottaDEAL

• Like 1

Mine started school this morning. Makes me proud and sad at the same time. Sad because she is getting older (will be 8 in Dec) and she won't be daddy's little girl some day. Proud because she's smart and loves school. I always think about a Subaru commercial with a little girl sitting in the drivers seat with her dad talking to her, she's tiny one second then 16-18 and driving away the next.

• Like 2

Mine started school this morning. Makes me proud and sad at the same time. Sad because she is getting older (will be 8 in Dec) and she won't be daddy's little girl some day. Proud because she's smart and loves school. I always think about a Subaru commercial with a little girl sitting in the drivers seat with her dad talking to her, she's tiny one second then 16-18 and driving away the next.

She will always be Daddy's little girl. :)

• Like 2

Still bummed I missed a month and am now out of the club, but rules are rules (and it's all good). Still figure I'll pop in and say hello while I have a quick minute, though. I've been working 15-18 hour days this past couple of weeks and I'm about out of gas, energy-wise, as a result. Can't tell you how excited I am that I can sleep in Saturday morning (I hope)... 

Side note: It's Miracle Treat Day at DQ today! Perfect excuse to have a Blizzard! (I'm definitely considering using my "cheat" on one tonight!)

Yeah, I think I missed a month too...sigh...but OAN, Dollar Tree has fall items out already  :trampolin , my last child graduated this past June so no more school supply shopping and it feels great!!!!

• Like 3