GottaDEAL 2018 Black Friday T-Shirt Club Posting Thread

Brad

Happy New Year!  If your New Years Resolution is to spend less, there is no better place to start than with television. There have never been more options at all price points and Google’s databases are repleat with how to guides and testimonials from happy cord cutters.

Best to start with broadcast television. Broadcast television or Over-the-Air (OTA) is ad supported television. Plug the right antenna into the right television and point it in the right direction and chances are you will be watching Big Bang Theory with no subscription at all. To determine which antenna is best for you, which way to point it, and what kind of service you can expect, visit TVFool.com and run a report for your address or the GPS coordinates for the location of your antenna. To see what sub-channels are carried on each channel, look up the wikipedia article for the main channel. To see what programming is available on each channel, visit TitanTV.com.

If you want help analyzing your TVFool data or choosing an antenna, post a comment including a link to your TVFool.com report below. Generally, this is the process I follow…

• Run a TVFool.com report
  • Look up sub-channels on Wikipedia
  • Use TitanTV to decide which channels to target
  • Group ‘real’ targeted channels by frequency
  • Sort groups of channels by direction
  • Choose antenna(s)
  • Test
  • Build
  • Improve

Here is a real example using my own location…

I used a free IOS app called GPS Utils to snag my coordinates. My attic is about 30′ off the ground, so I used that for AGL. My TvFool report can be opened at http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d60edc97d153f34.

Let’s start with the big table. I am not trying to dx or get into the Guinness Book of World Records, so I am going to focus on channels down to W28CM. (The gray channels are not likely to come in reliably.)

Looking at the ‘Real’ column, channels 2-6 require a VHF-Low antenna, channels 7-13 require a VHF-High antenna, and channels above 13 require a UHF antenna. If I can eliminate one or more bands from my target channel list, I will be able to specialize my antenna to improve reception and, maybe, save some money.

W39AR (4) and WORK-LP (3) are translators of WBIN which has agreed to go off the air as part of the FCC reverse auction, so I do not need to worry about VHF-Low. WENH is New Hampshire’s PBS affiliate with Explore, World, Create, and PBS Kids sub-channels. WMUR (9) is the Manchester, New Hampshire ABC affiliate with a MeTV sub-channel. WMTW (8) is the Portland, Maine ABC affiliate with a Heroes & Icons sub-channel. So, I am at least interested in VHF-High. I have a lot of UHF stations. WUTF (27) is Unimas and LATV — not interested. WBIN is going off the air — not interested. WBZ (30) is CBS with a Decades sub-channel. WCVB (20) is the Boston ABC affiliate with a MeTV sub-channel. WMFP (18) is SonLife with Charge! and Comet TV sub-channels. It is also home to Boston’s NBC affiliate. WFXT (31) is the Boston Fox affiliate with Escape and LAFF sub-channels. WHDH (42) used to be the local NBC affiliate. Now it is an independent channel with little compelling programming, but its This TV sub-channel is interesting. WLVI (41) is Boston’s CW affiliate with a Buzzr sub-channel. WGBH (19) is Boston’s PBS affiliate. It’s a casualty of the reverse auction and mirrored on WGBX (43) so it’s not interesting. WGBX carries Create and PBS Kids sub-channels, but may get World and Explore when WGBH goes away. WSBK (39) is Boston’s MyNetwork affiliate and carries a Heroes & Icons sub-channel. So, here are my targeted channels…

VHF-Low

• None

VHF-High

• WMTW (8) ABC/H&I
  • WMUR (9) ABC/MeTV
  • WENH (11) PBS/Explore/World/Create/PBS Kids
  •  

UHF

• WBZ (30) CBS/Decades
  • WMFP (18) Charge!/Comet TV/NBC
  • WFXT (31) Escape/LAFF
  • WHDH (42) This TV
  • WLVI (41) CW/Buzzr
  • WGBX (43) PBS/Create/PBS Kids
  • WSBK (39) MyNetwork/H&I

I could focus on UHF as most of my VHF-High programming is otherwise available, but WENH and WMUR carry local programming which I want. I could get a combination VHF/UHF antenna, but all of my UHF stations are due south of me and both the VHF stations are northwest, so I will join a dedicated UHF antenna to a dedicated VHF antenna so I can point each for optimal reception. For my VHF antenna, I chose the Stellar Labs 30-2476 which I believe is the best VHF antenna currently available. I probably would have gone with a DB8 if I did not want WMUR since it will pick up VHF-Very-High channels like 11. I went with the DB8e in case I wanted to articulate the panels for better reception. I joined the pair with an RCA TVPRAMP1Z Preamplifier because it has separate VHF/UHF inputs, gets good reviews, and is very inexpensive.

To test a new installation, I like to run a commercially terminated and tested coax from the antenna to a television. Ebay is a great source of such cables…

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055119.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X100'+rg+6+cable.TRS0&_nkw=100'+rg+6+cable&_sacat=0

It’s handy to have a portable TV close to the television for pointing of the antenna. A HDHomeRun tuner and a laptop will get the job done…
https://www.ebay.com/b/Silicondust-ATSC-Video-Capture-TV-Tuner-Cards/3761/bn_77184517?rt=nc&_sop=15

Once you have things working, it’s time to think about getting the signal to each television. If you have multiple sets, you will need a splitter. If your signal is marginal, you may want an amplified splitter…

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=electroline+splitter

Don’t get more ports than you have televisions because splitting the signal makes it weaker for all other stations.  Be sure to terminate any unused terminals.
Installing an antenna is worthwhile even if you eventually go another route or stick with cable. Your local television service may not carry all broadcast channels, some may become unavailable during contract negotiations, and you will appreciate local news during an emergency when cable and/or internet are unavalable. Most important, having an antenna empowers you to tell Comcast to cancel your account when negotiating a more favorable situation.

Edited by len_mullen
  • Like 1

Happy New Year!!!

I wonder how many the count is down to now.

According to my public school ciphering, 67 counting mods...

2bauer4
abentley
AuntieJul
BFgrl79
bluebear
Bopeep
bossy1
Brad 
budgetsRsexy
chachn8r
chelamarc
cherry33778
chester5
cjdav
dantegirl
deelite
Doresia
Gator Pam
gatorburg
giz
HanShotFirst
hillbillyswife
hockeyfanamo
ilikefree
jesusluvu
jstluvem
Kanyon71
Kash
kellis4321
kimpooh19
laddhorn
LainieB
len_mullen
lis415529
lucyismycat
m13april
magickallight
MariahA
mcwalker
mgreen
msyves
nicole20
ogadoga
Peppermint
qtpie
queenkishaa
racerfan
redeyejay
riven3d
rlbarajas
rockpzazz
rocky41102
sas377
shoptillidrop2
smurfgirl
speeddiva
stacya
starbeck96
stationchief
stevierocks
stina629
sunni0913
tear1469
totallyBF
tracy0504
tyreejames
wittenlover

A moment of silence for...

Cinnamonhuskies
julz0420
Pepper_Mint_Tea
Silverstreak24
srivassh
Edited by len_mullen
  • Like 7

According to my public school ciphering, 65 counting mods...

Did you actually go through and check everyone? Saves me time haha.

Forgot to mention that if I post in here every month, everyone has to buy me a GD shirt, so it kind of evens it out... ;)

Happy New Year everyone! :D

• Like 6

Happy New Year!

Did anyone make any good resolutions?

Sent from my iPad using GottaDEAL

I made more plans than resolutions. I plan to purge some items I've held onto for sentimental reasons. I plan to find two hours a month just for me. Most important to me I plan to be more present with my daughter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using GottaDEAL mobile app

• Like 2

Happy New Year everyone!

It’s frigid down South and the windchill this AM was a fabulous 0 degrees . Even in the negatives in some parts of the state. I am not at all used to that kind of cold and it went right through my scrub pants I tell ya! My cheeks (top and bottom LOL) were hurting before I could get in the building.

Hope everyone enjoys their day off if you are so lucky to have it off.

• Like 3

I think the reports of my demise are premature! Unless, of course, I misread the original directions - which wouldn't surprise me at all. Regardless, wishing everyone a happy New Year, and, a wonderful 2018.

I stand corrected.  Original post updated.

Did you actually go through and check everyone? Saves me time haha.

Forgot to mention that if I post in here every month, everyone has to buy me a GD shirt, so it kind of evens it out... ;)

Happy New Year everyone! :D

I did (although I missed cjdav).  I believe the list is now correct.

• Like 1

I thought you had to post at least once a month.  I posted both in November and in December.  January just started so with this post I should still be in the contest right?

I posted November 26th, December 3rd, and now today.

Edited by lis415529

I thought you had to post at least once a month.  I posted both in November and in December.  January just started so with this post I should still be in the contest right?

I posted November 26th, December 3rd, and now today.

I THOUGHT is was a good list.  Original list updated.  

i am actually shocked that the month of December lost anyone.  That is one of the most common months in GottaDeal. with people shopping for the deals all month. and this month likely will still be fresh in peoples minds. but anyhow ... happy new year everyone..

my new years resolution is to change NOTHING and stay the same wonderful person i am. i am already motivated, inspirational, caring,helpful, there for those who need me, ect. i already go to the gym daily, eat mostly healthy, and volunteer and do the best i can do!

Happy New Year everyone! 

A few years ago, I set up dual monitors at home.  I had a 22" as my main and an additional 20" as a secondary.  Last month, I purchased a 23" to replace my 20" and moved my 22" into secondary.  Last night, my 22" died. 

Because the 23" monitors were such a good deal, my son had purchased one to replace his, also.  It appears I'll be "upgrading" my son's monitor.  I've looked into some 4k monitors, and while Newegg does have a good deal on a 27" Spectre 4k (currently $219 with $20 off promo code), I'm considering the used market.  I can pick up a 28" Samsung 4k for about $150. 

What are your thoughts on the used monitor market?

What are your thoughts on the used monitor market?

Right now, I think you can buy a new monitor for less than people think their used monitors are worth due to the dramatic fall in prices.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?sdtid=11105995&SID=87776e68ef2911e7b56f86ac4273965d0INT&AID=10446076&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-Slickdeals%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&Item=0JC-0004-006F4&cm_sp=

• Like 1