What did you buy? How were the crowds? Share your experiences!

Brad

As always, let's have this single thread for you to share what deals you scored, both online and in stores, as well as any experiences you feel like sharing about the ordering/shopping process and how the crowds were if you went to brick & mortar stores.

For starters, Kohl’s was a breeze shopping online for the doorbusters I was planning to get. Wal-Mart on the other hand didn’t go so well as the gaming pc bundle and a couple other items were sold out but I managed to get two orders in for store pick up. My nightmare began with GameStop servers going down or something. I kept getting the oops message and couldn’t login into my account *sigh* after numerous attempts. Finally got through using my iPhone and placed the order as a guest only to wake up to your order couldn’t be processed . Best Buy was my saving grace and I hope when I venture out this evening things go much smoother.

All online experience here for the parts I needed for my new computer build. Wanted to wake up early this morning to get a nice 27" gaming monitor and an extra cheap 17" second monitor from Fry's Electronics morning sale, but instead decided to sleep in. I figured they'd still be there later on. After a while I finally woke up and went over to Newegg online first to get the rest of the internal parts. I had previously put them in my cart and even picked up a few extra things. Absolutely no problems with getting the sale prices and checking out! Got my confirmation emails and everything.

Finally went over to Fry's online to get the monitors and the site won't come up! Tried on my phone and managed to get them in my cart but checking out was screwy. Folks are complaining all over their Facebook page that the promo codes aren't working or they can't check out at all. Now their site's up and down sporadically. I'll be checking throughout the day hoping they fix things and get their promo codes working so I can get my monitors!

I have had a really positive time shopping online this year. In fact I wouldn't even go out tonight except my son wants a smoker from Walmart for his gf parents. We offered to try to get him one. I haven't received any order cancellations so hopefully it all works out! I have made several orders from:

Walmart: airfryer, recliner(2) for college apartments

Kohl s: Fitbit charge 2

Costco: HP Omen monitor , iPad

Target : Roomba

Bon ton : random junk

GameStop: Steam components

• Like 1

Amazon: Fire HD8, around midnight.

Best Buy: Powered speakers, Destiny 2, Neir Automata, Wonder Woman, Logan, and Mad Max Chrome edition. Got checked out by 1:07 EST

Target: Google Home Mini, k cups. Checked out at 3:08 EST

All going pretty good so far!

About to head out to Kohl's and Ulta, then Target in the morning for Stranger Things.

• Like 1

Shopped on Kohls.com earlier this week. Already received a few of my items. 

Best Buy I ordered the echo plus this morning.

Went to JC Penney and stood in line for 30 minutes. Only got a $10 off of $10. Someone 3 back from me got the $500. I got a few things from the salon and some $2.99 towels. 

Heading to Michael's in a little bit. 

We were looking for the Fire 7 tablet 8gb version for the three grandkids. The tablets were $29 down from $49. Looked right after midnight at Target website with no luck, but popped over to Amazon and it was done by 12:05 a.m. We really have no plans to go out on Friday at all, but we probably will visit a couple of stores just to see what's there. There's just nothing out there that I want. Well, except for higher end camera equipment that's too expensive.

• Like 1

A decent amount of large purchases and plethora of small things all bought online (Kohls was my big winner again this year). All of that was pretty uneventful for me (Kohls, JCP, BB, Target, Amazon).

Went to JCP @ 2:25 only because we were already out going to dinner), got to the front door @ 2:35, DW & I both got $10 off. May or may not go back tomorrow to spend them.

So far I only shopped BestBuy. Got 3 Echo Dots, microSD card and a charger for the Nintendo Switch controllers. Will be doing most of our shopping in the early hours tomorrow.

BB online experience was horrible last night. Couldn’t get my order to process and gave up after 4am. Finally got it to go through this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using GottaDEAL

• Like 1

Had to go to Walmart for a few thing that  were out of stock online..got there at 5 and everyone was loading their carts with the items you didn't need to wait in line for. Store kept announcing " black friday sale prices not active till 6", Nothing was wrapped and no one was "standing guard" to stop customers from taking the stuff.Had an employee walk by and tell me I couldn't have stuff in my cart( totally ignoring the dozen around with the same stuff in THEIR carts) I politely told I would put the stuff back  ONLY if she also made sure that everyone else put their items back, she just walked off, so I  was in line at 5:55 first one on my register to checkout and back in my car loaded and on my way home by 6:05. Over all easiest BF in a long while.

• Like 1

Went out tonight. Got to Target at 7, checkout line was all the way back to cleaning supplies there up and down each aisle into food. It seemed to be moving pretty fast though. I cheated and paid in electronics where there was no line.

Got th iTunes deal at walgreens

Miscellaneous stuff at Big Lots

Online I got DVDs and earbuds at Best Buy and video games at Walmart

I have about 3 things that need at Amazon still and I’m done.

Interesting week for me.  I purchased a $300 (after cash back) 55" TCL ROKU HDR TV from Amazon, then I got a $175 Amazon Show from QVC with $25 back for opening an account with them and a free electric outlet alexa controlled plugin.  Then I got an email from QVC inviting me to get a Bose radio/cd player for $299.99.  Then I hopped in my car and got some drapes and a rod for my slider using the BB&B 20% off your entire order plus three Discover Cash Back gift cards.  I got an Xbox Live card from Groupon yesterday.  This morning, I used a $40 Staples Rewards plus Visa Checkout $25 off $100 to snag a $230 chair for $55.  Today I bought a couple iPhones from Walmart and got $300 gift cards.  

I was amazed at how well organized Walmart was.  I was in and out of there in 30 minutes.  I have to go back tomorrow to activate the phones, but it was really painless as hundreds of associates acted as hosts guiding people to product then out of the store as quickly as possible.  There were no parking spots, but the register lines moved as well as any weekend shopping day.  And there was PLENTY of merchandise.  All iPhone models were available in some colors and most configurations even though we did not arrive until the store was already open 90 minutes.

I will check in with TiVo Monday and I'll be in town most of tomorrow, but my BF shopping has already been a success.

1. 55" TCL ROKU HDR TV from Amazon
  2. Amazon Show from QVC
  3. Bose Wave Music System IV with CD from QVC
  4. Drapes and a rod for my slider from BB&B
  5. Xbox Live 12 Month Gold Card from Groupon
  6. Hykentrade Technical Mesh Task Chair Red from Staples
  7. 2xiPhones from Walmart

Tomorrow, we do the cyber thing in the morning then head to the stores after lunch and finish up at Walmart in time for dinner at home.

• Like 1

I wasn't in the market for much, and came out good.  First I got The Lion King and Miracles From Heaven from Walmart (already have Miracles on my VUDU account).  Also got the $20 Igloo mini fridge.  It was a breeze to check out and my order was done in time for Best Buy deals to start...

Best Buy online was a nightmare.  After 3 hours or so I was finally able to place my order for a laptop.  One item took 3 hours to check out with.  Along the way had about 400 sign outs and busy websites.  I almost gave up but didn't.  I'm use to having trouble with Best Buy on Black Friday, but it was the only laptop I saw I liked.

Later I might go out to Walmart and see if any 2 or 4 buck DVD's are left.  In the meantime I might check out Amazon for some deals and later go to COMC.com and see what kind of trading cards I can get.

Overall despite the Best Buy website (which I managed to laugh off), I think I did pretty good.

So far I only shopped BestBuy. Got 3 Echo Dots, microSD card and a charger for the Nintendo Switch controllers. Will be doing most of our shopping in the early hours tomorrow.

BB online experience was horrible last night. Couldn’t get my order to process and gave up after 4am. Finally got it to go through this morning.

You weren't the only one! What was up with that???? And they wonder why I camp out!

Shopped the nightmare Best Buy sale last night. I was able to order the $249.99 iPad but I do not have a good feeling about it actually shipping out. Also ordered my yearly copy of Big Bang Theory after much trial and error. I hope it doesn't get cancelled either. Today I decided to try to get an iPad in store just in case the online Best Buy order falls through. I did a recon walk through at Walmart and asked 4 different associates about the iPad location within the color coded area and none of them knew. I asked because they were not anywhere to be seen in a plastic-wrapped display. So, after this Target won the sale. I was probably among the first 60-70 people in the store and I didn't get in line until 4:45 pm. Picked up Cars 3 bluray on the way back to electronics to get in the Apple line. I was among the first 6 or 7 in that line. Target only had the space grey iPad which was not my preference but at least I have one if the online order ends up cancelled. This is the only place I went tonight.

Online I ordered the Bissell carpet cleaner from Walmart. From Target.com I got Sing bluray, a pink Sonicare Series 2 toothbrush and 2 pkgs of replacement heads. All in all not a bad shopping experience with the exception of Best Buy. What a disaster that was!

Bought 7 items from Fry's Electronics at 6 A.M. everything went quick and easy except the promo code said "invalid".

That is OK because you don't have to show it until you pick up your order.

Bought 5 items from the noon sale and this time the promo code went through, but you still have to show it on pick up.

Got both confirmations that orders are ready for pick up instantly.

Now waiting for the midnight Black Friday sale.  Drove by Fry's at 7:30 this evening.  There was no line.

The smart people have found Fry's is cheaper on most items that you have to camp out to buy at Best Buy.

If you ordered for shipping without a promo code, just e-mail them or call.  They will fix the price.

Going to Home Depot first tomorrow, then Lowe's, Pep Boys, Office Depot, and Pet Smart. 

After that head over to Fry's and pick up my orders.

Didn't head out until around 6:30 because I got most of what I was looking for online already.

Walmart online

XBOX One S Halo bundle with Battlefront 2 and Call of Duty

Best Buy online

Pirates of the Caribbean 5 and Wonder Woman 4K

128gb flash drive

Skullcandy Method wireless headphones

HP $20 printer

Microsoft XBOX One Patrol Tech controller

Target, Walmart and Best Buy today

Just movies

Tap'd from my 7+

Had a 5 hour shopping trip tonight with my mom and sister.

Kohl's: Pretty crowded as always, but fairly organized. Stock was low on a lot of items because people had ordered online and picked up in store. According to the manger, some items she didn't even have in stock at all when the store opened tonight.

Stood in line for one hour.

Bought nothing.

Ulta: Stood in line for 30 minutes. Got an eyeshadow pallete for my niece, thy my sister picked out for me.

Five Below: A little busy, but they were super fast. Stood in line les than 2 minutes!

Bought gift bags and wrapping paper.

Walmart: A lot of people, but not super crowded. A nice associate helped my mom find the last hover board thing for my nephew. A couple things my mom and sister wanted were out of stock, but we were 3 hours into the sale at this point.

Stood in line about 5 minutes.

Bought nothing.

Target: Went here by myself. Parking lot was packed, and lots of people inside. Went straight to the check line endcap and grabbed Stranger Things, and walked right up to the register. So glad I went tonight, it was the second to last one.

So for 5 hours, I have one DVD and one eyeshadow, and a few gift bags. Woohoo!!

Oh! While I was standing in line, I places another Best Buy and Amazon order. So at least there was that!

Bought so many odds and ends this year, but every bit of it has ended up being online as the online sale price went live (or live on amazon) before store opened with it.

Amazon.com

kohls.com

target.com

truevalue.com -dog beds

bestbuy.com

With coupon codes and free shipping, I think I saved headaches, gas, waiting in line and occasionally got it cheaper online than in stores and just dread the possibly canceled order.

fingers crossed.

It has led me to a personal epiphany: I love the camaraderie, the thrill of waiting in line on thursday night for the store to open friday morning for the chance to be the one to score the deal, and now with stores opening earlier, opening the deals online even earlier and amazon matching most of them, I feel like I got a better deal, but totally let down about the experience...

• Like 1

Traditional CVS run first thing this morning. 3 people in store. Got all the ECB deals. 

Went to Belk around 3:30 for the 4pm store opening, giftcard for the 1st 250 (I got $5). Not many people in line, it was raining pretty hard. Belk manager opened the store early because of the rain and people at back of line getting stuck in it. I grabbed the boots I wanted for 19.99 and checked out, only $16 with the GC. Out the door before the store was supposed to open. 

Kohls next, not many people in line, still pouring down rain. I only went to use the $10 off they sent. Grabbed a Tek Gear hoodie and a Sonoma Tee, $3.62 total with discounts and out the door within minutes. Store was packed when I left.

Everything else was online, Kohls nailed it this year. Target and Amazon (Kindle HD 10 for $99!!) runners up. Gave up on Walmart. Ulta was a pain but I managed everything but 3 gift sets. 

Tomorrow will be back to Belk for the scratch off then next door to Petsmart for several of their doorbusters. 

I waited until everything had been open for a few hours before heading out.

Shopko- $30 sound bar. Didn't have to wait in line.

Walmart-$39 blu-ray player, 4 $5 board games. 3rd in line.

TRU- 2 of the $5 board games. 2nd in line

Walgreens for the itunes deal. 2nd in line.

Today I'm hoping to go to Play it Again Sports and maybe Harbor Freight.

I didn't plan on the blu-ray player but they had a lot when I walked by and I've wanted to replace our regular dvd player for some time. My 23 yr old son is the one who asked for board games this year and the sound bar. So he's pretty much the reason I went out. Nothing was must have.

Although I miss the 4am/5am openings I was glad to be home by 8pm and in bed by 10. We didn't have our Thanksgiving yesterday because of schedules so ours will be on Sunday. I might not have gone out at all if we did it yesterday.

My experience was pretty great. I got stuff earlier in the week at Kohls. Hit up Walmart and Best Buy online and got everything I wanted and grabbed some Echos via Amazon while I waited for BB to get it’s act together.

Thought I was done then my son told me he wanted a bike and mini fridge so off to Walmart I went. Banded together with strangers to get the bike and was out the door in literally 6 minutes.

This morning got my big gotta have it item- basketball goal at 5am. Popped by Walmart and Target after and they were wiped clean except for TVs. Both stores had loads left!

I got: 65 inch 4K tv, laptop, 2 monitors, ecobee thermostat, assortment of smart home stuff, Echos/Dots, bike, basketball goal and assortment of stuff for the home ( dishes, blankets, towels etc)

Edited by catholicbride11

Left the house at 5 AM. Not a soul at Home Depot yet so I went across the street to Walmart and roamed around in there checking out what was left. They had tons of Pioneer Woman cookware sets left. That was a bit surprising. Of course there was the usual lots of the Rubbermaid container sets, the BH&G mixing bowl etc sets, tons of sock bundles and lots of slippers. I saw several of the Rokus and some of the bluray players, DVDs of course. I managed to find one of the steps stools left so I got that, a pair of the slippers and the cheap washcloths. Went back to Home Depot around 5:40 and got in line. I was probably only 20 people deep in line. I had the best time here. I grabbed 4 of the HDX 27-gallon storage totes, the batteries, $4.88 outdoor mat, a $1.48 bucket (LOL), two $19.97 Husky 700 lumen flashlights, the $24.97 Husky 12V inflator and the $9.97 Defiant handy lantern. I'm thinking I could stand to go to Lowes now. :)

PetSmart, got cat litter and dog treats. Didn't seem to be as crowded and stressful as years past. Maybe because we were done faster than usual.

Ran in Michael's in case something jumped out at me, and there was NO line. Which was amazing. There is always a line at my Michael's.

Books a million was dead. Apparently they opened at midnight, and was supper dead all night as well.

Stopped by CVS and grabbed a couple of the ECB deals, including the $5 hairdryer for my sister. I had not noticed it in the ad, but yesterday she said she needed one, then she pointed that one out.

Now back home resting before unloading the litter and then going to mama's to help babysit the grandson.

Did anyone notice that most of the stores had a surplus of the cheap big screen TVs? Target, Walmart and Best Buy had plenty several hours after opening. I'm sure the cheapest of the cheap were gone. But those fall into the "get what you pay for" category.

Tap'd from my 7+

I only shopped online so far. From Target I got an electric razor, Call of Duty WWII for xBox and Super Mario Bros 2 for 3ds. From Amazon I took advantage of $5 off to get books for my sons, a Fire Stick, and some $3.99 magazine subscriptions. I also was able to order the $79 Christmas tree from Home Depot for my mom and get it shipped to her.

The kids and I are going out to the movies this afternoon so I may look in a few stores to see what’s there.