I'm thinking black Friday may be a good time to pick up a printer but I'm clueless about this stuff.
Anyone have any recommendations? I don't need color but I would prefer ink to be affordable. I would be the only one printing to it, but I print frequently.
Big print jobs would go to the copier down the hall but I'd like to have a printer in my office for my frequent 1-2 pages I print.
What do I even look for spec wise?
I'm going to disagree with everyone. I'd like to know more about how you plan to use the printer -- color or b&w, scanning, faxing, photos, pages per month, etc., and I own a color laser and a small fleet of inkjets, but I would like to say that the best value in printing at this moment is the Canon MX922 and Meritline's third party inks. Staples and Office Depot have the mx922 for $69.99 on BF and Meritline will sell you four sets (twenty cartridges) of ink for $18.99 w/Code: MLCA24CA with FREE SHIPPING.
Let me tell you why I love the mx922...
- It's wifi, so you can drop it where you print.
- It scans a tray full of two sided documents or pictures.
- Photo printing is very good and borderless if you are so inclines.
- You can print envelopes and other special papers.
- It's a fax.
- It's a scanner.
- It's a copier.
- The two black ink cartridges are waterproof and photo. Basically, you can highlight text without smudging but get photo quality blacks and grays for images.
- It's cheap
I've been using the ink for about five years and it has never produced poor quality or made a mess of my printer.
Get this and you will print for a year for ~$90. If you are unhappy with the results, get a laser next BF.