I need an office printer - need recommendations

delphernina

I'm thinking black Friday may be a good time to pick up a printer but I'm clueless about this stuff.

Anyone have any recommendations?  I don't need color but I would prefer ink to be affordable.  I would be the only one printing to it, but I print frequently. 

Big print jobs would go to the copier down the hall but I'd like to have a printer in my office for my frequent 1-2 pages I print.

What do I even look for spec wise?

Edited by delphernina

I also agree on the laser printer! I had an older version of the $49.99 Brother laser printer on page 3 of the Staples ad and absolutely loved it...never changed the toner cartridge in it. 2 years ago I upgraded to the $79.99 wireless Samsung laser printer on page 8 of the Staples ad. I haven't had to change the toner cartridge in it yet either. I have absolutely loved both!!

• Like 1

I'm thinking black Friday may be a good time to pick up a printer but I'm clueless about this stuff.

Anyone have any recommendations?  I don't need color but I would prefer ink to be affordable.  I would be the only one printing to it, but I print frequently. 

Big print jobs would go to the copier down the hall but I'd like to have a printer in my office for my frequent 1-2 pages I print.

What do I even look for spec wise?

I'm going to disagree with everyone.  I'd like to know more about how you plan to use the printer -- color or b&w, scanning, faxing, photos, pages per month, etc., and I own a color laser and a small fleet of inkjets, but I would like to say that the best value in printing at this moment is the Canon MX922 and Meritline's third party inks.  Staples and Office Depot have the mx922 for $69.99 on BF and Meritline will sell you four sets (twenty cartridges) of ink for $18.99 w/Code: MLCA24CA with FREE SHIPPING.  

Let me tell you why I love the mx922...

1. It's wifi, so you can drop it where you print.
  2. It scans a tray full of two sided documents or pictures.
  3. Photo printing is very good and borderless if you are so inclines.
  4. You can print envelopes and other special papers.
  5. It's a fax.
  6. It's a scanner.
  7. It's a copier.
  8. The two black ink cartridges are waterproof and photo.  Basically, you can highlight text without smudging but get photo quality blacks and grays for images.
  9. It's cheap

I've been using the ink for about five years and it has never produced poor quality or made a mess of my printer.

Get this and you will print for a year for ~$90.  If you are unhappy with the results, get a laser next BF.

• Like 2

I just plugged in my 2025DN.  Awesome color printer.  We do not use it in the summer because when my printer and air conditioner kick in at the same time, my circuit breaker trips and my computer reboots.  First world problems, right?  It is also warm to run.  Right now, I am using up toner then I am retiring this iron horse!

I'm going to disagree with everyone.  I'd like to know more about how you plan to use the printer -- color or b&w, scanning, faxing, photos, pages per month, etc., and I own a color laser and a small fleet of inkjets, but I would like to say that the best value in printing at this moment is the Canon MX922 and Meritline's third party inks.  Staples and Office Depot have the mx922 for $69.99 on BF and Meritline will sell you four sets (twenty cartridges) of ink for $18.99 w/Code: MLCA24CA with FREE SHIPPING.  

Let me tell you why I love the mx922...

1. It's wifi, so you can drop it where you print.
  2. It scans a tray full of two sided documents or pictures.
  3. Photo printing is very good and borderless if you are so inclines.
  4. You can print envelopes and other special papers.
  5. It's a fax.
  6. It's a scanner.
  7. It's a copier.
  8. The two black ink cartridges are waterproof and photo.  Basically, you can highlight text without smudging but get photo quality blacks and grays for images.
  9. It's cheap

I've been using the ink for about five years and it has never produced poor quality or made a mess of my printer.

Get this and you will print for a year for ~$90.  If you are unhappy with the results, get a laser next BF.

I can't say enough good things about this printer. We have had one for a few years now. I had an incident this year where the large black tank print head got gunked up (was our fault didn't print for a LONG time with it). I bought the same printer again to replace it. I then removed the print head dumped it in a bowl with a bottle of isoproply alcohol to soak a few times. Cleaned the bottom of the print head with a qtip and boom prints like a champ again. Only reason we got a new one is my sisters printer broke and we needed to print that day (wife was prepping some stuff for the start of the school year). So I figured kill two birds with one stone. Giving the old one to my sister now. :)