Nintendo Switch...Is it worth it?

ltb845

I bought one this summer, and in an online ordering snafu, I ended up with 2 of them (they were super hard to find at the time, and I inadvertently ordered 2 and decided just to keep the 2nd one).  I think it's great if you have younger kids; I think if our boys were older, they'd want more grown-up games.  Our whole family has MarioKart throw downs, and it was a HUGE hit on our vacation. (just plug it into any hotel tv USB port and away you go).  We stayed in a cabin for a week, and it was good for filling in downtime for the adults. 

The second one I purchased will be a Christmas gift, with the idea that when we're on road trips (they travel a lot for hockey), each kid can sit in their own row of the car and they can still play against each other and see their own screen.  They like playing MK8, Just Dance, Lego City Undercover and Cars.  I preordered Mario Oddysey for them, and they'll get that for Christmas, along with the Minecraft game and a Lego Ninjago game.   I'm also hoping for some game deals on BF. 

It's very portable, and I like that my 70yo mother can play with them because the controls aren't hard to learn at all; it lets her connect with them on their level. The only complaint I have is the battery life isn't that great in handheld mode, but I've never really put that to the test too much.  I'm anticipating that it will be a hit with the adults at some upcoming holiday parties. I'm so glad that we got it!

It's what we are getting our daughter this year. As for the older part I can honestly say you would be surprised, even though it doesn't have the power of the Xbox One or the PS4 Nintendo is killer at making games that get everyone involved and playing. We have spent many an evening playing Mario Kart and the various Mario games in our house on our Wii U. Maybe Nintendo will always have a special place in my home as it's one of the systems I grew up with.

• Like 2

I wasn't even considering a Nintendo Switch.  I just didn't know if it was worth it or not.  But, after reading some of these comments you've made me want one. :)

We have a Wii and will be getting an Xbox (probably 360).  Like all of you said, Nintendo is great at putting out games our family can play together, which is something we really need to do more often.  We used to spend lots of time playing.  I think a new system might be just the thing to go back to that.  Not sure if I can get it for Christmas this year or not (there aren't really any great deals anyway) but maybe sometime next year. :)

• Like 1

Nintendo likes to blaze their own trail.  Always have.  They might have issues, but they know exactly who they are.  And that's a system for playing family friendly games.

Unfortunately, this has resulted in Nintendo earning the reputation of not working well with others.  EA refuses to even look at Nintendo these days.  Ever since Nintendo chose not to let EA's Origin take over ALL online gaming for Nintendo (which was a totally right decision on Nintendo's part as far as I can see), EA has done just about everything they possibly could to stick it to Nintendo - refusing to release games for their platforms even when the game has been completely developed and was ready for pressing (see: Crysis3).  EA has been such a punk in this behavior that I refuse to purchase anything from EA for any system.  I'm not that desperate for games to reward their toddler-like behavior.

According to Wikipedia, since 2011, EA has released 111 games for all PlayStation platforms and 100 games for all Xbox platforms.

In that same time period, they've only released 25 games for all Nintendo platforms (3 on DS, 7 on 3DS, 10 on Wii, 4 on WiiU and just 1 on Switch.

Lesson learned is that is you like EA games, don't plan on playing them on a Nintendo system.

But if you like solid family friendly games like all the various Mario titles, Mario Kart, Zelda, Splatoon, etc, and Nintendo's always game changing moves in gameplay (WiiMotes, Wii Tablet controller, entirely mobile console), then maybe it's the system for you.

Nintendo likes to blaze their own trail.  Always have.  They might have issues, but they know exactly who they are.  And that's a system for playing family friendly games.

Unfortunately, this has resulted in Nintendo earning the reputation of not working well with others.  EA refuses to even look at Nintendo these days.  Ever since Nintendo chose not to let EA's Origin take over ALL online gaming for Nintendo (which was a totally right decision on Nintendo's part as far as I can see), EA has done just about everything they possibly could to stick it to Nintendo - refusing to release games for their platforms even when the game has been completely developed and was ready for pressing (see: Crysis3).  EA has been such a punk in this behavior that I refuse to purchase anything from EA for any system.  I'm not that desperate for games to reward their toddler-like behavior.

According to Wikipedia, since 2011, EA has released 111 games for all PlayStation platforms and 100 games for all Xbox platforms.

In that same time period, they've only released 25 games for all Nintendo platforms (3 on DS, 7 on 3DS, 10 on Wii, 4 on WiiU and just 1 on Switch.

Lesson learned is that is you like EA games, don't plan on playing them on a Nintendo system.

But if you like solid family friendly games like all the various Mario titles, Mario Kart, Zelda, Splatoon, etc, and Nintendo's always game changing moves in gameplay (WiiMotes, Wii Tablet controller, entirely mobile console), then maybe it's the system for you.

Working with Nintendo itself has only been part of the problem. Their development environment is super complicated very hard to get the most out of. Many developers deal with it, some just can't get the last bit of performance they think they need out of the system so they stop trying.

Having been in that industry I think many developers have lost their way in general, stop worrying about every last ounce of eye candy you can and start worrying about actually making a deep game something that is fun to play. This is why Nintendo itself does well, they make the games fun to play and replay. I have many games from other system that have no been touched in a long time, yet our Wii U games get played over and over.

• Like 3