The earliest you've ever dared to get in line?

stationchief

I believe the earliest I've ever been in a black Friday line was at 6pm Thanksgiving eve at a local Wal-Mart when the store opened about 6am Friday. I know that doesn't sound very early, but this was back in 2007. Yup... ten years ago! Back when black Friday was really picking up steam and long before folks at a Best Buy in Florida decided to camp out weeks before. I was looking to get a doorbuster laptop and got behind about 20 others. I just barely got in to nab the last one and even plucked a cheap TV on my way out.

The only other time I dared to get in a black Friday line was in 2011 at Best Buy when I showed up about two hours before opening and waited in a line I can't even remember how far it stretched. It was just for a few non-doorbuster items and for the experience of the crowds of black Friday. These days I either shop all online or just vicariously through others.

So what's the earliest you've ever gotten in line and how long did you wait? Was it worth it?

• Like 2

My first Black Friday was 2006.  I was in line about an hour and a half before the early morning opening at Best Buy.  My maximum was around 2 hours ahead of opening for a few years at Best Buy or Target.  I now arrive shortly after most openings and get most of what I am looking for.

Edited by mcwalker

Years ago, I got to Best Buy around 2:30 or 3:00 in the morning. Sale started at 6:00 or 7:00, I don't remember. I remember I was looking at a desktop computer for my mom, and they were already out of the tickets for it, so I left and went to Toys R Us (which was my planned 2nd stop). There was no one there yet, so that was both the earliest and probably the only time I was ever first in line anywhere. LOL

I was also by myself. So this was before my sister started going with me, so it must have been many many many years ago.  :sidesplit

I once got in line at Home Depot 30 minutes early, for my tree. :)

Many many years ago, me and mama would get to Walmart maybe 30 minutes to an hour early, and just hang out inside the store waiting for the sale to start. Some years they let us get our stuff and head to the registers, then wait until 6 am then we'd check out.

I do not care to stand in line. Or to be cold. Just not my thing.

Before the site got big enough where I had to stay home, I remember being in line around 30 minutes at Walmart to get a Power Wheels for one of my nephews and another year about 15 minutes at a Kmart to get a DVD recorder/player for my parents. But that was it. No hours in the cold for me.

Edit: even found the old ads. The Power Wheels was 2005 and the DVD recorder was 2004.

• Like 1

Before the site got big enough where I had to stay home, I remember being in line around 30 minutes at Walmart to get a Power Wheels for one of my nephews and another year about 15 minutes at a Kmart to get a DVD recorder/player for my parents. But that was it. No hours in the cold for me.

Edit: even found the old ads. The Power Wheels was 2005 and the DVD recorder was 2004.

I am still trying to find a Best Buy ad from 2003 have you ever had any luck?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using GottaDEAL mobile app

I haven't stood in a line very many times in my life to get into a store but one year I did at Target back when Friday morning opening times were the norm.  We stood in a line for an hour and a half.  It was cold as heck down South and the line was wrapped around the building.  We got what we wanted then had to stand in a checkout line that snaked around the store.  No thanks and never again.  For a few years we went to Office Depot for printer paper but only had to stand in a line there less than 30 minutes.  Now the worst we do is stand in the checkout line at Walmart on Thursday night waiting on the registers to open, usually about an hour to an hour and a half early.  Someone parks themselves in that line and the rest of us, or just me, go gather up our stuff.  We are lucky in that the Walmart associates at the store I'm at let people get in the pallets early for the most part and we never need a ticketed item.  

about 12-14 hours before store open. Walmart, best buy and TRU. Many years depending on what I need. Have not in the last few years as the store opening times has killed the option of early camp out. Well last year I did an all nighter at TRU for the NES That was about 7 hours.

• Like 1

My max is 30 minutes.  I don't like lines and I don't like standing around in the cold.  There's nothing I want or need to wait more than 30 minutes.  

I said the same thing until my DD wanted a hard to find toy and all she kept asking Santa for was that one thing. So I stood out there all night for that smile on her face. I will do it all over again when she is 30 years old. It is something about them that I will move and go through anything for. Now for myself I will pass and find a coupon or something.

• Like 1

My fist BF was at Best Buy. A very long time ago! I know I went for a laptop. I think we got there about 11p for a 5 or 6 am opening. I think it was low 30’s. We were layered up for sure. I know I said if it was a few degrees colder I wouldn’t have been able to do it. I did get the laptop though so it was worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using GottaDEAL

Back when the sales started at 5-6am on Friday I’d show up around midnight and be first in line, this was 2009. I do miss the old days before BF became so mainstream, I miss the 6am opening days.

If there was a big ticket door buster I truly needed I’d get there as early as I had to but in all these years of shopping 5 hrs before is the earliest I’ve needed to show up.

• Like 1

Back when the sales started at 5-6am on Friday I’d show up around midnight and be first in line, this was 2009. I do miss the old days before BF became so mainstream, I miss the 6am opening days.

If there was a big ticket door buster I truly needed I’d get there as early as I had to but in all these years of shopping 5 hrs before is the earliest I’ve needed to show up.

Where did you go back then?I remember when the ladies would leave the Best Buy line to go to the outlet malls because they would open at midnight, do the mad dash there, and then be back for tickets at Best Buy around 3 AM.

I don't usually go after big ticket items so I've never got in line at a crazy hour. We just go at our own leisure...most any electronic item I usually get online before we head out to hit the brick and mortar stores...Last year I did get in line at Sam's Club with a friend about an hour before they opened because she needed an Xbox bundle they had on sale. Fortunately once we got our ticket for the bundle, we were allowed to go sit in our car until they opened the doors so it wasn't too bad at all. :gdnum1: Edited by stewarta4

Where did you go back then?I remember when the ladies would leave the Best Buy line to go to the outlet malls because they would open at midnight, do the mad dash there, and then be back for tickets at Best Buy around 3 AM.

Kohl’s. Having a new baby at the time those cheap Fisher Price toys was gold, ha. Now that he’s older it’s not that easy anymore [emoji23]

• Like 1

Kohl’s. Having a new baby at the time those cheap Fisher Price toys was gold, ha. Now that he’s older it’s not that easy anymore [emoji23]

Best Buy is a whole other matter no matter how good the ad is. The deals just won't be around for doorbusters if you either shop online or show up late. The good news is they are making more items accessible than ever before.

Best Buy is a whole other matter no matter how good the ad is. The deals just won't be around for doorbusters if you either shop online or show up late. The good news is they are making more items accessible than ever before.

I still get everything on my list and have yet to need to go to Best Buy, thankfully. I dread that day but I’ll camp out with the best of them if the time ever comes.

Black Friday? Never. However last year I was in Hachimal and Nintendo lines when I heard they were getting truck loads. The earliest for that was 4:30am

I did that last year as well. But I was there around 2 and was still number 28 in line. I might have to do it again for the SNES this year

Back in the day, my sister and I would get in line about 3am in the freezing cold for the 6am opening. Nowadays, I go to the 24 hour walmart about 3 - 4 hours earlier than the sale is supposed to start. Inside, out of the cold. Two years ago when I got a tv for my bedroom, I was the first one in line! We also take the time to scope out where the items we want are.

Back in the day, my sister and I would get in line about 3am in the freezing cold for the 6am opening. Nowadays, I go to the 24 hour walmart about 3 - 4 hours earlier than the sale is supposed to start. Inside, out of the cold. Two years ago when I got a tv for my bedroom, I was the first one in line! We also take the time to scope out where the items we want are.

Yes!  A Walmart recon mission is always done at my house too.