Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

(Instant) Pot Heads Anonymous - Instant Pot Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#211 jaymacfla  OFFLINE  

jaymacfla

President, Black Friday Vacationers

• 1,894 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Oct 6, 2019 - 6:04 am

I have absolutely replaced the wife's crock pot with the instant pots we own. She is blown away with the beef stew I make for a 3 lb or better chuck roast. There is no better satisfaction on this earth than completely satisfying the one you love with an unforgettable dish. The brands out there all seem to do an admirable job, but having a saute/sear mode does help. Are any of you a fan of white meat or dark meat when making chicken and rice? The dark meat takes a bit more work due to de-boning, but it is better for the leftover crowd when moist chicken is a must. We leave the skin on for more flavor and texture.

#212 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,952 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 6, 2019 - 8:51 am

I'm a dark meat girl, regardless of the dish being prepared.

#213 bossy1  ONLINE  

bossy1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Oct 6, 2019 - 10:11 am

I on the other had am a strictly white meat girl..so far haven't had any problems using boneless skinless breast ..I just made sure pieces were about same size..everything turned out moist for me..I do add a little water if i'm heating leftover chicken and rice in a covered container in the microwave. I found out I prefer how the rice reheats better this way..Chicken was not an issue.

#214 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,952 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 6, 2019 - 10:27 am

I do not need a 4th IP...
...but when one of my three finally needs replacing, I may consider the 8-quart of this model, even though we've been doing fine with the two 6-quarts and the mini.

[video=""]

#215 jaymacfla  OFFLINE  

jaymacfla

• 1,894 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Oct 6, 2019 - 3:37 pm

I am warming up to that idea.

#216 len_mullen  ONLINE  

len_mullen

• 1,437 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 11, 2019 - 9:58 am

I have absolutely replaced the wife's crock pot with the instant pots we own. She is blown away with the beef stew I make for a 3 lb or better chuck roast. There is no better satisfaction on this earth than completely satisfying the one you love with an unforgettable dish. The brands out there all seem to do an admirable job, but having a saute/sear mode does help. Are any of you a fan of white meat or dark meat when making chicken and rice? The dark meat takes a bit more work due to de-boning, but it is better for the leftover crowd when moist chicken is a must. We leave the skin on for more flavor and texture.

The Instant Pot will never replace my slow cooker.  The only thing that will replace that terrific cooker will be the same slow cooker with the same probe with the same latches plus a delayed start.

I made beef stew in my instant pot this morning.  It was very good and very easy.  I kind of butchered the onions and carrots as it was also my first dance with the new Cuisinart food processor.  The recipe I used was a little bland for me as well.  Focused on the meat and that came out perfect.

#217 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 2,688 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 11, 2019 - 10:07 am

Just went and pulled ours out of storage. Want to make some soup this weekend :)

#218 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,952 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 11, 2019 - 10:30 am

The Instant Pot will never replace my slow cooker.  The only thing that will replace that terrific cooker will be the same slow cooker with the same probe with the same latches plus a delayed start.

Sounds like you have the same crockpot I have, the Hamilton Beach Set & Forget model?

I made beef stew in my instant pot this morning.  It was very good and very easy.  I kind of butchered the onions and carrots as it was also my first dance with the new Cuisinart food processor.  The recipe I used was a little bland for me as well.  Focused on the meat and that came out perfect.

You can always add more seasoning if you're happy with the rest of the recipe as a whole.

#219 magickallight  OFFLINE  

magickallight

• 55,317 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 1, 2019 - 9:11 am

Let's discuss the popularity, sales, recipes, decals, learning curve, and companies technical support of the Instant Pot and other electric pressure cookers.

Hello, I'm Pam and I'm an Instant Pot Head.

I bought my first Instant Pot, the 6-quart Duo model, during Amazon's Black Friday sale last year, and instantly fell in love. I use it easily twice a week. A few months later I bought a second insert, this time the ceramic coated aluminum one, as I wanted to still be able to use the pot while I had homemade yogurt chilling in the original stainless steel insert. I originally bought the ceramic lined insert because it was less expensive, but have found I prefer the nonstick coating for dishes such as Creamy Chicken Marsala Pasta and Mac and Cheese.

And yet, that still wasn't enough, so I got the 6-quart Ultra a couple of months ago. Just having the Duo occupied for the 10 hours while my yogurt incubates makes me antsy, so a second pot was needed.

I'm now highly tempted to get the 3-quart Duo mini to use for side dishes and more desserts, but I really have no room for another unit. So I am doing my best to refrain.

It's an addiction, I tell you!

I initially bought a Power Pressure Cooker XL, but never even opened it. I know many people who love it, and I would love to hear of successes made with it. But I wanted the ease of having the Yogurt button on the Instant Pot, and I like the stainless steel liner.

Need your help, daughter & hubby (with 2 kids) want an Instant-Pot for Christmas.  She wants to be able to put a whole chicken in it - as well as other meals. Not sure on the brand or size I should go with. Can you or others please guide me so I can start watching the ads for the best deals?  I am seeing a lot of brands go on sale from best Buy and others - but not sure about any of them.

“The more I know about people, the more I love my dog.” ~ Mark Twain.

#220 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,952 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 1, 2019 - 11:16 am

Well, I'm an Instant Pot brand fanatic. The Ninja Foodi looks nice, but I have not used one. I've heard the Mealthy is practically interchangeable in following online recipes written for the Instant Pot, but the Power Express XL, or whatever it is called sounds complicated to use.

In Instant Pot models, if she wants to fit a whole chicken, she most likely would like an 8-quart model. Small chickens will fit in a 6-quart, and even larger birds, if they're cut in to pieces.

Instant Pot just introduced their model with an air fryer lid. Here it is in the 8-quart size.

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,869&sr=8-3

If she wants to be able to cook a 12 lb. turkey, Instant Pot has introduced their first 10-quart model, but I'm currently not seeing it on amazon. However, Kohl's is currently offering it for $149.99, with 20% off.

https://www.kohls.co.../product.jspCcc

HTH!

#221 len_mullen  ONLINE  

len_mullen

• 1,437 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 1, 2019 - 3:49 pm

Sounds like you have the same crockpot I have, the Hamilton Beach Set & Forget model?

Yes.  Love it!

#222 len_mullen  ONLINE  

len_mullen

• 1,437 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 1, 2019 - 3:56 pm

I am warming up to the IP.  I have been using it for recipes where I go from saute to slow cooker.  Easy preparation and easy cleanup.  Extra cook surface.

#223 jesusluvu  OFFLINE  

jesusluvu

• 1,603 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Nov 1, 2019 - 6:28 pm

I want to try the instapot air fryer .... anyone has it yet ? Love my instapot 

#224 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,952 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 2, 2019 - 11:07 am

I want to try the instapot air fryer .... anyone has it yet ? Love my instapot

I haven't. I have the Power Oven XL, which I love. The three racks are awesome. But, I bought it before Instant Brands came out with any of their air fryers...

#225 jesusluvu  OFFLINE  

jesusluvu

• 1,603 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Nov 2, 2019 - 12:51 pm

I haven't. I have the Power Oven XL, which I love. The three racks are awesome. But, I bought it before Instant Brands came out with any of their air fryers...

I think I am going to get it, like come on, its an instapot. You cant go wrong. 

#226 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,952 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 2, 2019 - 1:19 pm

Let's us know your opinion of it after using it for awhile! I believe there are several versions now.

There's the standard one drawer air fryer, The Vortex.

There's the air fryer oven, The Vortex Plus .

There's the new toaster oven with air fryer capability, The Omni Toaster Oven.

And

There's the brand new Duo Crisp Instant Pot + Air Fryer Lid pressure cooker.

Have fun choosing!

#227 ljvoskuil  OFFLINE  

ljvoskuil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 2, 2019 - 6:03 pm

That was an amazing deal? Break it open! ;-)

#228 ljvoskuil  OFFLINE  

ljvoskuil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 2, 2019 - 6:08 pm

That is the exact reason why I am still not sure if I should buy one. With being a picky eater how much will I use it. Guess it would have to be a really great day for me to buy myself one

#229 ljvoskuil  OFFLINE  

ljvoskuil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 2, 2019 - 6:15 pm

Can’t wait to see what the lowest price is people find. If it is low enough I might consider buying myself one for the first time

#230 jaymacfla  OFFLINE  

jaymacfla

• 1,894 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Nov 3, 2019 - 1:10 am

That is the exact reason why I am still not sure if I should buy one. With being a picky eater how much will I use it. Guess it would have to be a really great day for me to buy myself one

If you are a picky eater then you will LOVE the instant pot! Right now I do not see the best pricing on them but the big three have not dropped yet. Make sure that the one you choose has at least a saute function on the front panel. It does not have to be an instant pot to do the same thing. Many deals are to be had out there if you are not brand specific. last year, I picked up one at Best Buy and only paid $16 after rewards. The second one I found on the side of the road, brand new and just missing the power cord and the knob was chipped---works fantastic!

#231 donnalee2001  OFFLINE  

donnalee2001

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5 Posts
  • Member since 2013

Posted Nov 3, 2019 - 9:27 am

I bought a mini. There are only 2 of us, and my husband does not eat leftovers. How can I adopt the 6qt recipes ?

Where can I find "plain" type recipes for a meat and potatoes kinda guy ?

#232 jesusluvu  OFFLINE  

jesusluvu

• 1,603 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Nov 3, 2019 - 8:10 pm

This is exactly why you need one. Cooks extremely good and if you dont like it you have time to cook something else. I LOVE MINE

#233 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,952 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 3, 2019 - 11:41 pm

I bought a mini. There are only 2 of us, and my husband does not eat leftovers. How can I adopt the 6qt recipes ?
Where can I find "plain" type recipes for a meat and potatoes kinda guy ?

As long as liquids do not fill the insert more than 2/3rds full, solids can go above the rim. However, make certain the lid goes on correctly, the sealing ring is not encumbered in any way, and the pin is not blocked so it can drop. If all three of these are met, you can use the mini, except for starchy items, such as grains, beans, and pasta.

That said, most recipes for the 6-quart will work on the mini as is, since most recipes for the 6-quart barely fills the insert halfway. However, if that is too much food for you, cut the ingredients of the recipes in half. The cook time will remain the same.

For cooking blogs, I like pressureluckcooking.com and thisoldgal.com for reliable recipes.

#234 cinnamon16201  OFFLINE  

cinnamon16201

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 4, 2019 - 4:06 pm

I'm really on the fence about this.  I absolutely hate to cook so I don't want to do a bunch of extra prep.  I already have a 3 and 6 qt. slow cooker and an air fryer, which we like.  I do like the thought of soups and stews, though.  Just not sure I want something else sitting around.  Maybe I'll watch some of the videos.  Maybe it would work for me because I don't like to cook.

#235 magickallight  OFFLINE  

magickallight

• 55,317 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 6, 2019 - 2:07 am

So what is the main difference between the Instant Pot Duo Nova, Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus, Instant Pot Duo60, Instant Pot Ultra, Instant Pot Max and the Instant Pot Duo? I am SO CONFUSED as to what to get my daughter! :gd_stars: :cry2: :eek:

“The more I know about people, the more I love my dog.” ~ Mark Twain.

#236 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,952 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 6, 2019 - 6:19 am

The Duo Evo Plus has a new lid design, a new control interface, and a completely new insert. The insert is now flat bottomed, so it can be used on a stove top to sauté or rewarm things. Oil now stays in the center, instead of pooling on the sides. It now locks in place, so it doesn't spin in the base as you're deglazing or sautéing. And, the insert has built in handles! No more fumbling awkwardly with pot holders while trying to remove it from the base.

I want one so badly.

The Duo and the Duo Nova are pretty much identical I'm use. I think the display is a little different, but I think that's it.

I own both the Duo and the Ultra. The Ultra can be set to hold a precise temperature, so some people use it for immersion cooking. I *think* the Evo Plus has a sous vide setting as well. The lid on the Ultra seals automatically and has a push button release, rather than a valve you turn. I really don't like the dial for the control panel. I use my Duo much more often than the Ultra.

I would go with the Evo Plus. IMO, it's truly the next generation in Instant Pots.

#237 HanShotFirst  OFFLINE  

HanShotFirst

• 1,062 Posts
  • Member since 2012

Posted Nov 6, 2019 - 6:27 am

So what is the main difference between the Instant Pot Duo Nova, Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus, Instant Pot Duo60, Instant Pot Ultra, Instant Pot Max and the Instant Pot Duo? I am SO CONFUSED as to what to get my daughter! :gd_stars: :cry2: :eek:

Everything Gator Pam said in her first paragraph about the "regular" Duo and the Evo is why I would so go with the Evo.  If I could afford to upgrade my Duo's I would.  Don't get me wrong though, I absolutely love both of my Duo Pots but knowing I wouldn't have to fight a spinning insert while trying to mash potatoes or stir whatever is in the insert is great.  The built-in handles alone would get my business now that I've used my Duo's for 2 years now.  

#238 starbeck96  OFFLINE  

starbeck96

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Nov 14, 2019 - 12:11 pm

I will be buying myself an instant pot Black Friday.  I have been wanting one for quite a while, but have held off so I could buy BF.  Is the 6 qt duo (7 in 1) for 49 in the walmart bf ad the best deal.  I am going to look back through the other ads as well, but just wanted everyone's opinion.  I was really hoping to get an 8qt but have not seen any on sale.  We are a family of 4 (myself, my husband, 21 year old son, and 13 year old daughter) but I like to cook extras for those busy nights.

#239 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 2,688 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 14, 2019 - 1:53 pm

We have the 6-Quart right now and it's been great. Yes that price is pretty darn good. We want to upgrade to an 8-Quart. I guess Sam's had them on their 1 Day sale but we didn't know we wanted the bigger one at that point lol.

#240 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,952 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 14, 2019 - 6:00 pm

I'm pretty sure Instant Pot is phasing out the Lux model.  Every store I know of that had only carried the Lux, i.e., Kroger affiliates and Walmart, have started selling the Duo consistently for $79, the price they were selling the Lux for.  I suspect Walmart may sell the Duo for close to $49 throughout the year, once the Lux is fully phased out.

Prior to the Duo Evo Plus being released, I always recommended the Duo over any other model.  The higher models, such as the Ultra and Max, have additional bells and whistles, but that's all they are.  Other than being able to hold a set temperature to do immersion cooking, the Duo can do anything else any of the other models can do.  If the upgrades in the Duo Evo Plus do not justify the extra cost to you at this time, definitely go with the Walmart $49 Black Friday deal on the 6-quart Duo.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

speeddiva, dgleason