Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

(Instant) Pot Heads Anonymous - Instant Pot Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

#181 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,954 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 31, 2019 - 12:26 pm

Ah,thank you. I was afraid of that. I'll edit out the original link and leave the general one.

#182 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,954 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 31, 2019 - 12:52 pm

Oh. My. Stars.

For those torn between getting an Instant Pot, an air fryer, or a sous vide, consider this option, along with a Mealthy Crisplid. I had thought the Smart and Ultra were the only IPs which could hold a consistent temperature for immersion cooking, a sous vide hack without water circulation, and the Max, a far more expensive IP model, was the only one with an actual sous vide function. But, apparently IP has made a Costco exclusive Duo which does sous vide at the price of only $90. With the Mealthy being only $60, you get the equivalent of three appliances, plus the IP being multifunctional, for like $150.

Wow!

Duo SV 6-quart

Here's the link to the Mealthy Crisplid, as well.

Mealthy CrispLid for Pressure Cooker - Turns your Pressure Cooker into an Air Fryer - Air fry, Crisp or Broil fits 6 & 8 Quart. Comes with Basket, Trivet, Silicone Mat, and Tongs plus Free Recipe App
Mealthy Crisplid

#183 bossy1  OFFLINE  

bossy1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Sep 4, 2019 - 12:45 pm

okies..looking to enter the pothead(insta) world..does anyone have suggestions ..btw i'm not a novice cook..would appreciate your thoughts

#184 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,954 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 4, 2019 - 2:00 pm

Here are my thoughts on the different Instant Pot brand models, for what it's worth.

The Lux is a good, basic electric pressure cooker. It has no adjustable pressure setting, nor does it have a yogurt function. It also does not have a lid rest built in to the handles. But it is also a slow cooker, and can do Sauté.

The Duo series all have high and low pressure, as well as the yogurt function. The handles have holes in them in which the lid can be placed as a rest. It does everything the Lux does, as well. The Smart WiFi is a Duo series with connectability to an app. Using the app, you can set the pot to do immersion cooking, a sous vide hack without circulation.

Costco has released the exclusive to them (as far as I know) Duo SV. This is a Duo model with an actual sous vide function built in. At $90, it sounds like a fantastic choice.

Next comes the Ultra. It does everything the regular Duo series pots do, not counting connecting to an app like the Smart, or having an actual sous vide function like the Duo SV. However, it can be set to a precise temperature for immersion cooking like the Smart, and the Slow Cooker function can also be set for precise temperatures, rather than the Less/Normal/More Slow Cook settings of the other models. The Ultra also has an altitude adjustment feature, so if one is cooking at elevated heights, it automatically adjusts the time at pressure to accommodate that.

The Max is currently the most expensive, high end model. It is being marketed as being able to pressure can. But, like all other electric pressure cookers, it has not yet been approved for such by the NCHFP. The Max also has a built in sous vide function, rather than the immersion cook feature of the Smart and Ultra.

I believe these are all of the actual different features which can not be accommodated for on less advanced models. Everything else, such as the digital cooking graph or automatic lid sealing on the Ultra are unnecessary bells and whistles which have ways of compensating for on the other models.

As far as sizes go, you need to determine how much you need to cook at once. The 3-quart can actually accommodate many receipts written for the 6-quart, but not all. The 6-quart is a good basic size. But more can definitely be cooked in the 8-quart.

#185 bossy1  OFFLINE  

bossy1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Sep 4, 2019 - 2:42 pm

thanks...I appreciate your input...gonna continue doing some research...looking for the best bang for my buck along with the features I'm gonna use. as my household shrinks

I'm looking for ways to simplify and this looks promising..thanks again

#186 HanShotFirst  OFFLINE  

HanShotFirst

• 1,062 Posts
  • Member since 2012

Posted Sep 4, 2019 - 5:05 pm

thanks...I appreciate your input...gonna continue doing some research...looking for the best bang for my buck along with the features I'm gonna use. as my household shrinks

I'm looking for ways to simplify and this looks promising..thanks again

I have two sizes of the Duo series and they are perfect for my cooking style, which is nothing fancy.  LOL.  I ended up with the DUO models because Kohl's had such great deals on them when I got them.  I paid just about the same for a DUO model with sales and stackable coupons as I would have for the LUX model at Walmart.  Anyway, I love mine and use them multiple times a week for various things such as "hard boiled" eggs, potatoes for mashing, casserole-like dishes, roasts and even meatloaf and crème brulee.  In the end the DUO models are as fancy as I need.  Another interesting thing I have learned after 2 years of having 2 sizes is that I use my 6 qt more than the 3 qt, which is the total opposite of what I anticipated when I bought the 6.  

#187 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,954 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 4, 2019 - 5:40 pm

Being the owner of a 3-quart Duo, a 6-quart Duo, and a 6-quart Ultra, I personally think the Duo series does everything I need. Especially now with the Duo SV. If I didn't already have an Anova sous vide circulator, the actual sous vide function on the Duo SV would be sorely tempting.

Don't discount the ability of the Duo series to make yogurt or proof dough. Pizza dough proofed in the IP is awesome, and my challah is nothing to sneeze at either, since I've been using the IP to proof it.

The only function tempting me on the Max is the ability to pressure can, and I won't even consider it until it is officially approved.

IMO, even without discounts, Costco's Duo SV is currently the best option. But, if sous vide seriously doesn't interest you (and trust me, reverse seared sous vide steaks are mind blowing and worth investing in a means to sous vide), I would still focus on the Duo series. IMO, it's the most versatile at a reasonable price point.

#188 bossy1  OFFLINE  

bossy1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Sep 11, 2019 - 10:14 am

I just got my first Instant pot...DH suprised me with the 8qt ultra...trying my first batch of yogurt..wish me luck.

#189 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,954 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 11, 2019 - 3:37 pm

What method are you using? Cold start or "boil" method? I prefer the taste of boiled, but there are many who are quite happy with cold start.

The Ultra's settings are slightly different than the models most recipes online are written for. Feel free to ask if you need any converting from one model to another until you're comfortable with it.

#190 bossy1  OFFLINE  

bossy1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Sep 11, 2019 - 5:35 pm

I used the boil method...it will be finished in my pot in 20 min then in the fridge overnight...will let you know results. Thanks so much for the offer of help. It's nice to know there are still kind people around.

BTW I was pleasantly suprised at how intuitive the controls are . In the next few weeks I plan on giving it a workout..wish me luck! (you may want to rescind your offer...HEHE...please dont)

#191 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,954 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 12, 2019 - 6:42 am

Are you planning on straining out some of the whey to thicken the yogurt in to Greek-style? I use a pasta pot with it's steamer insert, and three flour sack towels to strain. The pasta pot is tall enough to prevent the bottom of the insert from sitting in the strained off whey without needing to pour off the whey midway through straining, and the flour sack towels can be washed, dried, and reused, rather than tossing out coffee filters, paper towels, or cheesecloth. My pasta pot can also strain yogurt made from a gallon of milk, rather than the half gallon maximum the commercial strainers hold.

I wash my flour sack towels in free and clear detergent, and use white vinegar to prevent static cling; but I don't use softeners. I figure for something I use for food preparation, I don't want fragrance or additional chemicals clinging to them, if I can help it.

#192 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,954 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 16, 2019 - 6:56 am

Ooo..!

Temporarily back in the Black Friday forum again.

*waving*

#193 jaymacfla  OFFLINE  

jaymacfla

President, Black Friday Vacationers

• 1,894 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 17, 2019 - 9:11 am

Sounds like an old proverb, but I want proof of that feat of physics, lol.

As I said above, I find most recipes for the 6-quart make enough for dinner for a family of four adults, with leftovers for lunch or another dinner. I also feel many recipes can be doubled in the 6-quart successfully, although most soups or stew recipes tend to be written for the maximum amount that should be made in that size pot. But I have successfully doubled recipes such as chicken marsala in the 6-quart.

That said, you can always make less in an 8-quart, but if you want to do even more than doubling a recipe in a 6-quart, you will be limited by size.

Some people have been posting about practicing cooking their turkeys in the IP. One poster claims she was able to get a 10 lb bird in her 6-quart. I'll admit I'm skeptical, but she did post pictures. And I have done 6 lb chickens with plenty of room, so...

#194 bossy1  OFFLINE  

bossy1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Sep 21, 2019 - 10:04 am

Are you planning on straining out some of the whey to thicken the yogurt in to Greek-style? I use a pasta pot with it's steamer insert, and three flour sack towels to strain. The pasta pot is tall enough to prevent the bottom of the insert from sitting in the strained off whey without needing to pour off the whey midway through straining, and the flour sack towels can be washed, dried, and reused, rather than tossing out coffee filters, paper towels, or cheesecloth. My pasta pot can also strain yogurt made from a gallon of milk, rather than the half gallon maximum the commercial strainers hold.

I wash my flour sack towels in free and clear detergent, and use white vinegar to prevent static cling; but I don't use softeners. I figure for something I use for food preparation, I don't want fragrance or additional chemicals clinging to them, if I can help it.

First batch was just an unstrained yogurt...tasted great but wasn't thick enough for DH. Today I made Greek using a strainer made for the job. DH went BONKERS..loved it. Now that I have that figured out I'm on to beans. I just finished making 2 lbs of black beans..I'll use them whole and to make refried. I was utterly tickled pink with how they turned out. It was so simple,no soaking just hit a preset. I wanted to be able to cook them a little longer on the stove so that fact that they weren't totally soft(mushy) is perfect. if I want them softer I'll just add a little to the cooking time. Over all I can tell this is gonna be one of my favorite kitchen toys.Can't wait to try new recipes as i find them . THANK YOU for all your help,tips and comments.

#195 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,954 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 21, 2019 - 12:52 pm

Dried beans are one thing I have yet to try. I'm hoping to be able to make refried beans from either lupini beans, if I can find them, or black soy beans, which I have seen locally in a few Asian markets. Both are supposedly lower in carbohydrates than other beans, so I am hoping to be able to have an occasional huevos rancheros using the refried beans made from one or the other and a low carb tortilla.

#196 bossy1  OFFLINE  

bossy1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Sep 22, 2019 - 12:56 pm

Back again..today was a bit of an instant pot trial day..I made chipotle cilantro lime rice, cooked 6 lbs of boneless skinless ckn breast( cubed some, pulled rest) all in freezer for later use, and also cooked some veggies for soup I'm making this week. Everything was simple,quick and cooked to perfection..I was bowled over by how the chicken turned out. It was super moist,tender and full of flavor after only cooking at pressure for 10 min.I only added ckn broth,onion,garlic and basic spices.

This is going to be such a help for me in as much as when I do a major "stockup" grocery run I'll also be able to quickly prep a lot of my purchases and freeze them cooked to use as needed.WHAT A TIME SAVER..

#197 bossy1  OFFLINE  

bossy1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Sep 22, 2019 - 1:02 pm

Dried beans are one thing I have yet to try. I'm hoping to be able to make refried beans from either lupini beans, if I can find them, or black soy beans, which I have seen locally in a few Asian markets. Both are supposedly lower in carbohydrates than other beans, so I am hoping to be able to have an occasional huevos rancheros using the refried beans made from one or the other and a low carb tortilla.

I wish I could tell you where to to find the beans you would like to make..unfortunately in my area it's almost impossible to find anything beyond basics...I really think you will  enjoy the result once you make beans in the pot..Good Luck

#198 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 2,689 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 23, 2019 - 10:06 am

Try looking in the mexican/spanish markets or isles for La Cholita Lupini Beans. Some Walmarts carry them.

#199 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,954 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 23, 2019 - 11:15 am

I have a Walmart Neighborhood Market nearby, and a regular Walmart about 10 miles away. Neither have lupini beans. The nearest SuperCenter is about 30 miles away; I seldom shop there.

I didn't know lupini beans are considered Hispanic item. We do have several bodegas in the area. I'll check them out. Thanks!

#200 len_mullen  OFFLINE  

len_mullen

• 1,445 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 24, 2019 - 9:13 am

Hello iPotheads!  I was reading through this thread and seeing references to another thread in the Lounge.  Then I saw #192.  Is the one and only GD IP thread?

I bought an ip duo60 v2 in July of 2017 and only used it once as a slow cooker.  I wasn't impressed, replaced it with this amazing slow cooker, and moved on.

Then I got distracted by this awesome air fryer...

https://www.youtube....h?v=cRqpNcZaJzY  

This is probably my favorite kitchen appliance, but it is a fairly large single purpose appliance.  

With the weather changing, I am thinking soups, stews, and casseroles.  I pulled out the IP and started looking for recipes.  Instead, I discovered this Mealthy CrispLid.  Comparing my the stainless steel liner in the IP to the basket in my air fryer, there is less than an inch less diameter and a lot more height.  Maybe, more important, the overall dimensions of the IP is about the same as the air fryer -- even with the CrispLid on top.  BUT, I'm seeing mixes reviews for this as an air fryer replacement.  So...

Anyone here using the CrispLid with a duo60 v2?  If yes, could you please measure the overall height with the CrispLid on top?  Can you comment on using this combination as an air fryer replacement?  Will this get the job done or are we talking about a browner/crisper for pressure cooked dishes?

Not related, but does anyone know something really special to do with cauliflower?  I make loaded cauliflower, but would like to get it on the menu more often.

#201 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,954 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 24, 2019 - 10:29 am

Hello iPotheads!  I was reading through this thread and seeing references to another thread in the Lounge.  Then I saw #192.  Is the one and only GD IP thread?

As far as I know, this is the only dedicated IP thread. Brad decided to move it from the Lounge to the Black Friday forum last year, and when I asked if he was going to do so again, I found it in here the next time I signed on. It will be moved back to the Lounge when the Black Friday forum is closed after the holidays, as it is a year round thread.

I bought an ip duo60 v2 in July of 2017 and only used it once as a slow cooker.  I wasn't impressed, replaced it with this amazing slow cooker, and moved on.

Then I got distracted by this awesome air fryer...

https://www.youtube....h?v=cRqpNcZaJzY  

This is probably my favorite kitchen appliance, but it is a fairly large single purpose appliance.  

With the weather changing, I am thinking soups, stews, and casseroles.  I pulled out the IP and started looking for recipes.  Instead, I discovered this Mealthy CrispLid.  Comparing my the stainless steel liner in the IP to the basket in my air fryer, there is less than an inch less diameter and a lot more height.  Maybe, more important, the overall dimensions of the IP is about the same as the air fryer -- even with the CrispLid on top.  BUT, I'm seeing mixes reviews for this as an air fryer replacement.  So...

Anyone here using the CrispLid with a duo60 v2?  If yes, could you please measure the overall height with the CrispLid on top?  Can you comment on using this combination as an air fryer replacement?  Will this get the job done or are we talking about a browner/crisper for pressure cooked dishes?

I posted a couple of videos by This Old Gal regarding the Mealthy up thread, but I do not own one myself to give a tried and true review of it.

Not related, but does anyone know something really special to do with cauliflower?  I make loaded cauliflower, but would like to get it on the menu more often.

Not an IP recipe, but my current absolute favorite cauliflower recipe is to substitute 2.5 to 3 cups raw cauliflower rice for the cooked quinoa in this tabbouleh-style recipe from Bon Appetite. I make it the day before, stirring in a little of the dressing as the receipt states at first, but then I add the rest of the dressing and stir throughout, letting it sit overnight and gently macerating the vegetables. I was skeptical at first, but then I tried Trader Joe's cauliflower tabbouleh, and quite ejoyed it. I knew I liked the flavor of the quinoa tabbouleh from having made it before, so tried switching out for the cauliflower and jumped for joy.

I do use more lemon juice than called for; basically the juice from a whole large lemon. I also like to zest the lemon with my microplane and toss that in there as well.

https://www.bonappet...uinoa-tabbouleh

#202 Bopeep  OFFLINE  

Bopeep

• 1,498 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 26, 2019 - 7:26 am

I bought my dil the duo plus 60 for Christmas. It did not come with a glass lid. I can get the lid for like $13 on Amazon, but is it worth it?  **I should point out, one of the reasons I decided to get her the IP is because her slow cooker broke.

#203 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,954 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 26, 2019 - 8:04 am

Before buying the glass lid, check her other lids or even dinner plates to see if any will fit. If so, those are perfectly fine to use.

So, keep in mind the IP is a Canadian product. When they say it works as a slow cooker, they literally mean the original style slow cookers, such as the West Bend, which only heat from the bottom. They do not cook similarly to crockery cookers, which cook from the bottom and sides of the insert. In order to use the Slow Cook function, keep the following in mind:

Slow Cook Less = Warm on a crockery cooker
Slow Cook Normal = Very Low
Slow Cook More = Medium Low

Cook everything on Slow Cook More, using the same time as a recipe for low in a crockpot. I was never a crockpot stirrer, as I feel too much heat was lost when the lid was opened. However, I have found stirring the contents halfway through the cook time, and again about 2/3rds to 3/4s through the cook time helps redistribute the heat from the bottom, bringing the IP Slow Cook function as close to a crockpot cooker as it can get.

With these caveats in mind, the IP functions OK as a slow cooker. But it does everything else so much better. Try not to let her get discouraged if she feels it doesn't replace her crockpot, as it does so much more.

#204 Bopeep  OFFLINE  

Bopeep

• 1,498 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 26, 2019 - 10:43 am

Thank you, that is good info to have.  I think I'll print your comment and put it with the box :).

#205 len_mullen  OFFLINE  

len_mullen

• 1,445 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 27, 2019 - 1:30 pm

Week 1 of my IP adventure...

Step 1: Learn something about my IP.  After reading this thread, I have been watching some videos to familiarize myself with the workings of an Instant Pot.  Yesterday I was in Kohls looking at griddles and was able to help three people trying to figure out which IP to purchase.  Teaching is the final step of learning.  I am an IP Jedi.  Here are some helpful videos...

Step 2: Cook something...

I sliced up a pork tenderloin and marinated it in a nice sweet sauce we like with pork or chicken.  I cook those at 350 in my toaster oven on a rack over a drip pan until done.  No interest in changing that.  I am, however, up for a better way to make mashed potatoes (and rice).  Still going to steam green beans.

One of the things I probably should have done before buying an IP was research.  It was an impulse buy of a slow cooker with a locking lid that did six other things at a great price.  Now that I have a great slow cooker and have had a chance to look at some recipes, I'm not sure I'm an IP guy.  I'm not usually in a hurry, so the slow cooker generally works for me.  With its programmability and temperature probe, I can load a chicken or roast before I leave for work, cook until done, and keep warm until I get home.  The CrispLid is tempting, but this review and comments give me pause.  Probably not going to push my air fryer off the counter.  Before I stash this thing in the back of a cabinet under the counter, I plan to try some things I found along the way.  Also, the cookbook included with my IP is available as a PDF.  It's pretty good and has been updated since I got the pot, so I downloaded the file.  

Lots of Asian dishes, but I can walk into Aldis and get Lo Mein, General Tsos Chicken, and egg rolls for $15, drive across the street to Shaws and grab potstickers for another $5, and prepare everything in 30 minutes using my steamer (potstickers at one level, and lo mein in the rice bowl on another), air fryer (general tsos chicken), and toaster oven (egg rolls).  It's as good as than anything I've taken out of a restaurant.  :gd_twocen

I do find the saute feature appealing for chilis and stews.  Saves a step and a pot to clean.  I suspect the pressure will infuse meats with sauces.

I sympathize with those who love the IP for eggs.  I struggled with poached and hard boiled eggs.  A poacher with a glass top and a this rapid egg cooker yield perfect eggs 100% of the time, are easy to clean and store, and were inexpensive.

I don't like yogurt  :grandpa:

Feel free to convince me I am selling the Instant Pot short.

#206 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,954 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 29, 2019 - 8:58 am

I got my first IP on Black Friday in 2017. I now own 3 of them. I have found those who say "convince me it's worth keeping" tend to be those not suited to pressure cooking.

On a weekly basis I use my IPs to make yogurt (it really is so much better than store bought), hard cooked eggs (have you tried comparing eggs in the IP to the ones from your rapid egg cooker? You may find you can use the IP for multiple things, and get rid of the unitasker), and iced tea.

But, for me, the biggest sellers are the recipes. Here are four of my favorites, but there are literally hundreds out there, if you learn which blogs have reputable receipts.

Chili verde:
https://www.seriouse...-with-pork.html

Butter Chicken:
https://twosleevers....butter-chicken/

Creamy Chicken Marsala Pasta:
https://pressureluck...-marsala-pasta/

Deli-style sandwich rare roast beef:
https://thisoldgal.c...are-roast-beef/

#207 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,954 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 29, 2019 - 9:05 am

Oh. And cheesecakes! So much easier than dealing with a water bath in the oven.

Attached Files

#208 mjbateman  OFFLINE  

mjbateman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 29, 2019 - 3:48 pm

Thank you Gator Pam for all the info on the Instant Pot. This is on my list.

#209 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 2,689 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 30, 2019 - 6:03 am

I got my first IP on Black Friday in 2017. I now own 3 of them. I have found those who say "convince me it's worth keeping" tend to be those not suited to pressure cooking.

On a weekly basis I use my IPs to make yogurt (it really is so much better than store bought), hard cooked eggs (have you tried comparing eggs in the IP to the ones from your rapid egg cooker? You may find you can use the IP for multiple things, and get rid of the unitasker), and iced tea.

But, for me, the biggest sellers are the recipes. Here are four of my favorites, but there are literally hundreds out there, if you learn which blogs have reputable receipts.

Chili verde:
https://www.seriouse...-with-pork.html

Butter Chicken:
https://twosleevers....butter-chicken/

Creamy Chicken Marsala Pasta:
https://pressureluck...-marsala-pasta/

Deli-style sandwich rare roast beef:
https://thisoldgal.c...are-roast-beef/

I do think I will be making the butter chicken one this week or next. Need to make some room for my IP. :)

#210 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,954 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 30, 2019 - 11:03 am

I know I recently posted about Costco's Duo SV, but earlier in the month Good Morning America had a week long series on Instant Pot recipes, and most of the segments featured a model I didn't recognize. Turns out on the Friday of that week, Instant Brands announced a new Duo model, the Duo Evo Plus . This thing is a jump ahead in the evolution of the Instant Pot, not just of the Duo series. If this is what Instant Brands being under the umbrella of Proctor Silex is going to produce, I'm even more excited.

As far as I can tell, the Max is still the only IP which can attain 15 psi. But, until the Max gets official approval for its pressure canning function, I'm going to wait on it. The Duo Evo Plus has other features which temp me, most of which involve the insert. The insert is now flat bottomed, so when oil is added it no longer accumulates on the sides and stays in the middle of the insert. Because it is flat bottomed, it is now safe to use on a burner on a stove. The insert also now locks in place, so it won't spin while stirring or sautéing items using the Sauté function. And, the insert now has built in handles! No need to break out pot holders which may hang over in to the food when lifting the insert out of the base.

""

As far as I know, the Duo Evo Plus is available to order on Williams Sonoma and to preorder on amazon in both the 6-quart and 8-quart sizes. It looks like William Sonoma has the better prices at this time, but perhaps amazon will offer a deal on it for Black Friday.

Edited by Gator Pam, Sep 30, 2019 - 11:33 am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users