Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

(Instant) Pot Heads Anonymous - Instant Pot Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#181 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 31, 2019 - 12:26 pm

Ah,thank you. I was afraid of that. I'll edit out the original link and leave the general one.

#182 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,875 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 31, 2019 - 12:52 pm

Oh. My. Stars.

For those torn between getting an Instant Pot, an air fryer, or a sous vide, consider this option, along with a Mealthy Crisplid. I had thought the Smart and Ultra were the only IPs which could hold a consistent temperature for immersion cooking, a sous vide hack without water circulation, and the Max, a far more expensive IP model, was the only one with an actual sous vide function. But, apparently IP has made a Costco exclusive Duo which does sous vide at the price of only $90. With the Mealthy being only $60, you get the equivalent of three appliances, plus the IP being multifunctional, for like $150.

Wow!

Duo SV 6-quart

Here's the link to the Mealthy Crisplid, as well.

Mealthy CrispLid for Pressure Cooker - Turns your Pressure Cooker into an Air Fryer - Air fry, Crisp or Broil fits 6 & 8 Quart. Comes with Basket, Trivet, Silicone Mat, and Tongs plus Free Recipe App
Mealthy Crisplid

#183 bossy1  OFFLINE  

bossy1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Sep 4, 2019 - 12:45 pm

okies..looking to enter the pothead(insta) world..does anyone have suggestions ..btw i'm not a novice cook..would appreciate your thoughts

#184 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,875 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 4, 2019 - 2:00 pm

Here are my thoughts on the different Instant Pot brand models, for what it's worth.

The Lux is a good, basic electric pressure cooker. It has no adjustable pressure setting, nor does it have a yogurt function. It also does not have a lid rest built in to the handles. But it is also a slow cooker, and can do Sauté.

The Duo series all have high and low pressure, as well as the yogurt function. The handles have holes in them in which the lid can be placed as a rest. It does everything the Lux does, as well. The Smart WiFi is a Duo series with connectability to an app. Using the app, you can set the pot to do immersion cooking, a sous vide hack without circulation.

Costco has released the exclusive to them (as far as I know) Duo SV. This is a Duo model with an actual sous vide function built in. At $90, it sounds like a fantastic choice.

Next comes the Ultra. It does everything the regular Duo series pots do, not counting connecting to an app like the Smart, or having an actual sous vide function like the Duo SV. However, it can be set to a precise temperature for immersion cooking like the Smart, and the Slow Cooker function can also be set for precise temperatures, rather than the Less/Normal/More Slow Cook settings of the other models. The Ultra also has an altitude adjustment feature, so if one is cooking at elevated heights, it automatically adjusts the time at pressure to accommodate that.

The Max is currently the most expensive, high end model. It is being marketed as being able to pressure can. But, like all other electric pressure cookers, it has not yet been approved for such by the NCHFP. The Max also has a built in sous vide function, rather than the immersion cook feature of the Smart and Ultra.

I believe these are all of the actual different features which can not be accommodated for on less advanced models. Everything else, such as the digital cooking graph or automatic lid sealing on the Ultra are unnecessary bells and whistles which have ways of compensating for on the other models.

As far as sizes go, you need to determine how much you need to cook at once. The 3-quart can actually accommodate many receipts written for the 6-quart, but not all. The 6-quart is a good basic size. But more can definitely be cooked in the 8-quart.

#185 bossy1  OFFLINE  

bossy1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Sep 4, 2019 - 2:42 pm

thanks...I appreciate your input...gonna continue doing some research...looking for the best bang for my buck along with the features I'm gonna use. as my household shrinks

I'm looking for ways to simplify and this looks promising..thanks again

#186 HanShotFirst  OFFLINE  

HanShotFirst

• 1,000 Posts
  • Member since 2012

Posted Sep 4, 2019 - 5:05 pm

thanks...I appreciate your input...gonna continue doing some research...looking for the best bang for my buck along with the features I'm gonna use. as my household shrinks

I'm looking for ways to simplify and this looks promising..thanks again

I have two sizes of the Duo series and they are perfect for my cooking style, which is nothing fancy.  LOL.  I ended up with the DUO models because Kohl's had such great deals on them when I got them.  I paid just about the same for a DUO model with sales and stackable coupons as I would have for the LUX model at Walmart.  Anyway, I love mine and use them multiple times a week for various things such as "hard boiled" eggs, potatoes for mashing, casserole-like dishes, roasts and even meatloaf and crème brulee.  In the end the DUO models are as fancy as I need.  Another interesting thing I have learned after 2 years of having 2 sizes is that I use my 6 qt more than the 3 qt, which is the total opposite of what I anticipated when I bought the 6.  

#187 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,875 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 4, 2019 - 5:40 pm

Being the owner of a 3-quart Duo, a 6-quart Duo, and a 6-quart Ultra, I personally think the Duo series does everything I need. Especially now with the Duo SV. If I didn't already have an Anova sous vide circulator, the actual sous vide function on the Duo SV would be sorely tempting.

Don't discount the ability of the Duo series to make yogurt or proof dough. Pizza dough proofed in the IP is awesome, and my challah is nothing to sneeze at either, since I've been using the IP to proof it.

The only function tempting me on the Max is the ability to pressure can, and I won't even consider it until it is officially approved.

IMO, even without discounts, Costco's Duo SV is currently the best option. But, if sous vide seriously doesn't interest you (and trust me, reverse seared sous vide steaks are mind blowing and worth investing in a means to sous vide), I would still focus on the Duo series. IMO, it's the most versatile at a reasonable price point.

#188 bossy1  OFFLINE  

bossy1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Sep 11, 2019 - 10:14 am

I just got my first Instant pot...DH suprised me with the 8qt ultra...trying my first batch of yogurt..wish me luck.

#189 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,875 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 11, 2019 - 3:37 pm

What method are you using? Cold start or "boil" method? I prefer the taste of boiled, but there are many who are quite happy with cold start.

The Ultra's settings are slightly different than the models most recipes online are written for. Feel free to ask if you need any converting from one model to another until you're comfortable with it.

#190 bossy1  OFFLINE  

bossy1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Sep 11, 2019 - 5:35 pm

I used the boil method...it will be finished in my pot in 20 min then in the fridge overnight...will let you know results. Thanks so much for the offer of help. It's nice to know there are still kind people around.

BTW I was pleasantly suprised at how intuitive the controls are . In the next few weeks I plan on giving it a workout..wish me luck! (you may want to rescind your offer...HEHE...please dont)

#191 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,875 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 12, 2019 - 6:42 am

Are you planning on straining out some of the whey to thicken the yogurt in to Greek-style? I use a pasta pot with it's steamer insert, and three flour sack towels to strain. The pasta pot is tall enough to prevent the bottom of the insert from sitting in the strained off whey without needing to pour off the whey midway through straining, and the flour sack towels can be washed, dried, and reused, rather than tossing out coffee filters, paper towels, or cheesecloth. My pasta pot can also strain yogurt made from a gallon of milk, rather than the half gallon maximum the commercial strainers hold.

I wash my flour sack towels in free and clear detergent, and use white vinegar to prevent static cling; but I don't use softeners. I figure for something I use for food preparation, I don't want fragrance or additional chemicals clinging to them, if I can help it.

#192 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,875 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 16, 2019 - 6:56 am

Ooo..!

Temporarily back in the Black Friday forum again.

*waving*

#193 jaymacfla  OFFLINE  

jaymacfla

President, Black Friday Vacationers

• 1,797 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 17, 2019 - 9:11 am

Sounds like an old proverb, but I want proof of that feat of physics, lol.

As I said above, I find most recipes for the 6-quart make enough for dinner for a family of four adults, with leftovers for lunch or another dinner. I also feel many recipes can be doubled in the 6-quart successfully, although most soups or stew recipes tend to be written for the maximum amount that should be made in that size pot. But I have successfully doubled recipes such as chicken marsala in the 6-quart.

That said, you can always make less in an 8-quart, but if you want to do even more than doubling a recipe in a 6-quart, you will be limited by size.

Some people have been posting about practicing cooking their turkeys in the IP. One poster claims she was able to get a 10 lb bird in her 6-quart. I'll admit I'm skeptical, but she did post pictures. And I have done 6 lb chickens with plenty of room, so...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users