Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

(Instant) Pot Heads Anonymous - Instant Pot Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#151 Gator Pam  ONLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 27, 2018 - 7:28 am

The Smart WiFi is new. I have not heard much about its connectivity reliability.

The older version of the Smart was Bluetooth only, and supposedly there were a lot of connectivity issues. But, when using the app worked, it was possible to write recipe scripts and control precise temperature with it.

I have no idea what one needs a recipe script for, but I do know setting a precise temperature is handy both for the slow cook function, and if one wants to use the IP for sous vide.

#152 Gator Pam  ONLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,742 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 27, 2018 - 7:35 am

Jeffrey goes in to the issues in the video I linked. He is hoping they eventually change that the air fryer lid is permanently attached, although that appears to be a fundamental design flaw. The other issue I remember off hand is that he says the plastic outer shell gets damaged easily. I don't remember any others, but there may be more.

#153 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 2,424 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 27, 2018 - 10:15 am

Jeffrey goes in to the issues in the video I linked. He is hoping they eventually change that the air fryer lid is permanently attached, although that appears to be a fundamental design flaw. The other issue I remember off hand is that he says the plastic outer shell gets damaged easily. I don't remember any others, but there may be more.

Well the lid I understand, from an engineering standpoint every time you introduce a connector it causes current loss so having it hinged makes things better from a power standpoint and is also less to go wrong in the long run with connectors. As for the lid scratching ya that could be annoying but not something that will stop me from buying. Maybe if I see a good deal I'll give it a try.

#154 msyves  OFFLINE  

msyves

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 Posts
  • Member since 2010

Posted Nov 28, 2018 - 6:11 pm

My IP arrived today. I can't wait to use it this weekend.

#155 Gator Pam  ONLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,742 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 28, 2018 - 7:11 pm

If you have any questions, issues, or concerns, feel free to ask.

#156 Gator Pam  ONLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,742 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 29, 2018 - 8:06 am

I wrote this last July, and posted it in the Facebook Instant Pot Community group. But, I don't think I ever shared it here...

Welcome to those just joining us! I thought I would take the time to explain what happens when one does a Quick Release, and why most of us would recommend never using the Quick Release for meat.

When you do a Quick Release, what happens is as the pressure quickly drops, the liquid comes to a rapid boil. Meat in particular is affected, because the boiling liquid then acts as a liquid one uses to make soup. All of the flavor and moisture gets drawn in to the liquid, and you'll have a tasty broth, but your meat will turn out flavorless, dry, and stringy, like soup meat. For meats, a Natural Pressure Release is best, where you leave the pot alone for at least 10 minutes after the cooking cycle is finished. Since no more heat is being applied, the liquid slowly cools and the pressure slowly drops, even though you won't see anything happening. Most recipes calling for a Natural Pressure Release will tell you how long to let it sit after it finishes cooking, before releasing the rest of the pressure.

The boiling of a Quick Release is what also causes starchy foods like beans and pastas to foam up. This is where doing a Controlled Quick Release, opening and closing the release valve in short bursts, works, as you can settle the boiling down between bursts of releasing pressure.

The food does continue to cook while pressure is falling, so for delicate items such as fish or some vegetables, you do want to do a Quick Release. But it helps if those items were cooked on low pressure, rather than high pressure.

HTH.

#157 Gator Pam  ONLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,742 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 29, 2018 - 8:36 am

Jeffrey Eisner of Pressure Luck has a great introductory video, which includes showing the water test towards the end. It's focused towards the Duo and Ultra models, but can be pretty much applied toward all IPs.

Edited by Gator Pam, Nov 29, 2018 - 8:38 am.

#158 Kash  ONLINE  

Kash

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Nov 29, 2018 - 8:41 am

The first thing I cooked was the corned beef from one of his videos

#159 Gator Pam  ONLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,742 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 29, 2018 - 9:10 am

The first thing I cooked was the corned beef from one of his videos

I love most of Jeffrey's recipes. The one thing I disagree with Jeffrey, as stated above, is his penchant for Quick Releasing meat dishes. Other than that, they're spot on.

#160 Kash  ONLINE  

Kash

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Nov 29, 2018 - 2:35 pm

I was in Meijers this afternoon they have the 3Qt. instant pot for 49.99 if anybody is looking for that size

#161 Gator Pam  ONLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,742 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 30, 2018 - 9:20 am

Which model, Kash? I mostly use my mini for making yogurt, which is more difficult to do with the LUX.

#162 Kash  ONLINE  

Kash

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Dec 2, 2018 - 5:42 pm

I'll look I grabbed it for DD21's bday

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users