Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

(Instant) Pot Heads Anonymous - Instant Pot Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#31 Gator Pam  ONLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 25, 2017 - 4:09 pm

The slow cooker function is like the original slow cookers back in the 1970s. It only heats from the bottom, whereas crockery slow cookers heat from the bottom and sides. The settings are confusing as well, i.e., Less = Warm, Normal sort of equals Low (but not effectively), and More = a Medium High. Most users who have good experience cooking with the IP as a slow cooker do one of two things:

Cook everything on the More setting, but as in learning a new crockpot, stay home for the first few times you use it, so you can learn the timing of your recipes.

Or

Pressure cook your dish, and then leave it on either Keep Warm all day or on Slow Cook Less.

#32 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 21,353 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 26, 2017 - 5:22 pm

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B01NBKTPTS

$79 tomorrow for Cyber Monday

#33 Gator Pam  ONLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,742 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 27, 2017 - 11:03 am

*sigh*

Just decided the mini duo would be good for a college student who is renting g an off campus room in a house. Did I miss out on the $45 deal? Anything as good coming up?

#34 stationchief  OFFLINE  

stationchief

Super Ultra Uber Geeky BF Mod

• 4,475 Posts
  • Member since 2005
  • Location: Phoenix, Arizona, Earth, Sol star system, Milky Way galaxy, Known universe!

Posted Dec 25, 2017 - 10:29 am

I got an instapot for Christmas! I am officially a pot head!

EDIT: It's the Instant Pot IP-DUO60 v2. Don't know how much it cost because it was a Christmas present to me. Looking through the recipe book it looks like most of them involve wine and hard to find oriental ingredients. C'mon, just keep it simple!

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything." - Dr. Emmett L. Brown

#35 bluebear  OFFLINE  

bluebear

• 1,658 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Dec 25, 2017 - 5:02 pm

I got one too! Guess I've actually got to cook now! Hopefully it will make it easier and me more motivated to cook. :)

#36 Gator Pam  ONLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,742 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Dec 26, 2017 - 9:46 am

Deleted

Edited by Gator Pam, Dec 26, 2017 - 9:55 am.

#37 Gator Pam  ONLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,742 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Dec 26, 2017 - 9:54 am

Welcome to the Pothead addiction!

Start by watching this video (yes, it's long, but very informative), and then do the water test as suggested. Don't do the "initial test run" as written in the manual. Many copies of the manual have a misprint about how much water to use, so you would be there forever.

Introduction to the Duo or Ultra

Then make hard cooked eggs. Stack as many eggs as you want on the enclosed trivet. 2 minutes low pressure (if you have a Duo or Ultra, just manual pressure on the Lux, since you can't adjust it), followed by a 10 minute Natural Pressure Release {allow the pressure to fall on its own for 10 minutes, then turn the lever (or push the button on the lid if you got the Ultra) to release the rest of the pressure}. Immediately in to an ice water bath until cold. After that you'll be ready for anything.

Edited by Gator Pam, Dec 26, 2017 - 9:58 am.

#38 bluebear  OFFLINE  

bluebear

• 1,658 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Dec 26, 2017 - 4:20 pm

Station chief, I just read through the same recipe book and agree. We won't eat anything in there. So I'm about to go read GatorPam's post about cooking ribs, because I think I got volunteered to cook those for New Year's dinner... Yikes. I am excited about cooking dried beans though.

#39 stationchief  OFFLINE  

stationchief

Super Ultra Uber Geeky BF Mod

• 4,475 Posts
  • Member since 2005
  • Location: Phoenix, Arizona, Earth, Sol star system, Milky Way galaxy, Known universe!

Posted Dec 26, 2017 - 6:13 pm

I just read Gator Pam's post about the ribs. Yummy! After a little practice first I'm definitely going to be trying that one out. Good luck with the beans, bluebear!

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything." - Dr. Emmett L. Brown

#40 bluebear  OFFLINE  

bluebear

• 1,658 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Dec 26, 2017 - 6:54 pm

Thanks! I better cook in it every day if I plan to have enough practice to cook ribs by new years!!

#41 Gator Pam  ONLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,742 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Dec 27, 2017 - 2:13 pm

I truly recommend using reputable blogs for recipes to start, even more than cookbooks. Some of the blogs I recommend for IP recipes are:

http://www.thisoldgal.com
http://www.twosleevers.com
http://www.pressureluckcooking.com
http://www.adventuresofanurse.com
http://www.dadcooksdinner.com

I'll try to list some more as I come across them.

I tend to not like pinterest to search for IP receipts. Too many are not well tested.

Edited by Gator Pam, Dec 27, 2017 - 2:18 pm.

#42 bluebear  OFFLINE  

bluebear

• 1,658 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Dec 28, 2017 - 9:52 pm

Alrighty, I did my water, and cooked my eggs. Woohoo!

#43 Gator Pam  ONLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,742 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Dec 29, 2017 - 9:32 am

How did the eggs come out? Did they peel easily? How were the yolks?

Do you have any questions?

Edited by Gator Pam, Dec 29, 2017 - 9:34 am.

#44 bluebear  OFFLINE  

bluebear

• 1,658 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Dec 29, 2017 - 10:35 am

The eggs were delicious! The yolk was a little soft, just how I like them. And they peeled SO easy!
It was very easy to cook. I was a little nervous my first time. But the second time was easier. I did it twice, night and morning, to stay comfortable. Can't wait to do more stuff!
Questions... I have an 8 qt. Is there anything I should do differently? Add more water to make it deeper, or is one cup still okay? I see that 1 cup seems to be the standard for most things?
I've been reading some of the blogs you posted. I prefer to read, and I don't do Pinterest, so those are great.
Thanks for all your help!

#45 goldie  OFFLINE  

goldie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Dec 29, 2017 - 4:48 pm

Thanks for the links to recipes... love what I've been looking at! Now time to try some of them...

OK... what's with water?  I heard that before... 

#46 Suzy Crampton  OFFLINE  

Suzy Crampton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Dec 31, 2017 - 12:11 pm

So, did anyone get an IP and want to get started using it? Do the water test first! Look up Frieda loves Bread on YouTube, and search for her IP Water Test video. Watch it, and then do the test yourself.

This will familiarize you with the pot, Quick Release, and clean out any potential manufacturing gunk possibly left behind.

If you have any questions regarding using the IP, feel free to ask!

Thanks for posting about Frieda! I watched her water test and followed along with my IP and it worked great! I also watched her hard boiled egg video and did that one too. I wanted an IP but was slight nervous to use it too. My Mom had a pressure cooker when I was growing up and used it all the time. It did blow up once and of course I remember it vividly! After watching Frieda and following along with her, I feel pretty confident! Now to find some recipes to try out while I still have that confidence.

Also, my eggs came out perfectly!!

Edited by Suzy Crampton, Dec 31, 2017 - 12:12 pm.

Suzy Chapstick:)

#47 Gator Pam  ONLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,742 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jan 1, 2018 - 9:39 pm

The eggs were delicious! The yolk was a little soft, just how I like them. And they peeled SO easy!

hmm...
They should have been hard cooked, if you did the 2 minutes low pressure and the 10 minutes NPR. But it ight be because you have the 8-quart.

Questions... I have an 8 qt. Is there anything I should do differently? Add more water to make it deeper, or is one cup still okay? I see that 1 cup seems to be the standard for most things?

Try increasing your minimum amount to a cup and a half, and see if that makes a difference.

I've been reading some of the blogs you posted. I prefer to read, and I don't
do Pinterest, so those are great.

I'm glad you're enjoying them. I'm the same way.

Edited by Gator Pam, Jan 1, 2018 - 9:43 pm.

#48 bluebear  OFFLINE  

bluebear

• 1,658 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jan 2, 2018 - 7:50 am

Thanks! This week I plan to try to do some reading to see how it works. What effects water amounts and pressure time has, so I can better adjust with the different size.
Like for the eggs, I did your suggestion, then the next day I tried the one from Pressure Luck Cooking. His was 5 minutes high pressure, then 5 minutes natural release. So the amount of time for each was about the same, and the yolks came out the same, even with different pressure and times. And every rib recipe had a different amount of liquid too, from 1/2 cup all the way up to 64 oz! So I'm interested to know how that works.

And I do think I'll start adding a little more water. When I did turnip greens yesterday, it called for 1/2 cup. As soon as it came to pressure the burn msg came on. So I added a total of 2 cups (plus I like a little juice in my greens), and when I did the collards I did 2 cups from the start, and all turned out great.

#49 Gator Pam  ONLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,742 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jan 2, 2018 - 5:56 pm

So the yolks came out softer even doing the 5-5-5 method? The other possibility may be your altitude. Are you at a high elevation? That also affects cooking time.

I prefer the 2 minutes low pressure with 10 minute NPR vs. the 5 minutes high pressure with 5 minutes NPR because I feel the whites are more tender. But the yolks should be cooked all the way through, regardless.

#50 bluebear  OFFLINE  

bluebear

• 1,658 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jan 2, 2018 - 6:12 pm

Yeah, they were the same, just barely a little soft. Not gushy or slimy or not cooked through or anything. Just not as hard as when I use the little electric egg cooker thing I have. They were really good though, perfect for me. I just thought it was interesting it was the same. I didn't pay much attention to the whites.
I'll try again and check that.

I'm in Atlanta, so I don't think altitude is an issue.

#51 Gator Pam  ONLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,742 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jan 13, 2018 - 10:51 am

Instant Pot Duo Mini is on sale at kohls.com for $84.99 (regularly $89.99).
Use code SNOWY30 for 30% off ($25.50), pay $59.49
Use code JAN4FREE for free shipping.
Get $10 Kohl's Cash.

#52 HanShotFirst  OFFLINE  

HanShotFirst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 Posts
  • Member since 2012

Posted Jan 20, 2018 - 8:38 am

Ok, after much debate and careful thought (LOL) I returned the 6-Qt duo I bought in November. I just simply do not have storage space for that size. :(.

Last week I decided to get the Duo mini from Kohl’s. thanks for posting that deal here by the way! It is pretty small but it’s just me and much more “storable” than the larger ones. Anyway, I’ve unpacked it, watched the intro video referenced earlier in this thread and think I am ready to tackle the water test and eggs. Wish me luck. :)

#53 bluebear  OFFLINE  

bluebear

• 1,658 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jan 20, 2018 - 12:39 pm

Awesome. I think you will love it. :)

#54 HanShotFirst  OFFLINE  

HanShotFirst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 Posts
  • Member since 2012

Posted Jan 20, 2018 - 1:39 pm

Awesome. I think you will love it. :)

The eggs turned out perfect! I was making tuna salad for lunches this coming work week so it wouldn’t have mattered much if they didn’t. I can’t wait to make deviled eggs now. And I need to start finding recipes to use until I get brave enough to venture out on my old family recipes. Like was mentioned earlier, the recipe book that came in the box really stinks. LOL.

#55 Gator Pam  ONLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,742 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jan 22, 2018 - 5:49 pm

I really like pressureluckcooking.com. Jeffrey has videos for all of his recipes, and the recipes are pretty much written clearly. The only thing I don't care for personally is his dependence on Better Than Bouillon products; I much prefer subbing equal amounts of homemade chicken, beef, or vegetable stocks.

I also like thisoldgal.com and twosleevers.com. Two Sleevers has a YouTube channel, but has not yet made videos of all of her recipes yet.

There are other sites I find the sporadic recipe here and there, but the three I listed are pretty much my go to sites.

#56 HanShotFirst  OFFLINE  

HanShotFirst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 Posts
  • Member since 2012

Posted Jan 25, 2018 - 7:28 am

Another round of perfect hard boiled eggs....✔️
Successfully cooked roast & sautéed onions for French dip sandwiches......✔️
That roast was soooo tender. I bought a small one, cut it in half and only cooked half because I was afraid to put the whole thing in since I’m still obviously learning. In hindsight I could have cooked both halves and had more leftovers. As it stands I barely have enough left after eating last night to make one more sandwich. Lol. I will definitely be making this again.

Gator Pam, I do have a question for you though. Do you have any tips or an actual working method to removing the smell from the silicone ring? Mine now obviously has a very pungent onion odor after cooking my roast last night.

#57 Gator Pam  ONLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,742 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jan 26, 2018 - 2:24 pm

Ah, the one bane of the IP. So far, I haven't found a foolproof method. The best thing is to always store the lid upside down on the pot, and put the ring loose on top so it airs out between uses.

I like to toss the ring in to the freezer for a few minutes after washing and drying. I do it mostly to help it shrink back in to shape if it gets stretched out due to the heat of pressure cooking, but I noticed the odor seems to diminish, although a faint smell still lingers.

Others have tried putting the seal in a gallon zipper bag with warm water and three to four denture tablets. Allow to sit overnight and rinse well. Others store the dry ring in a zipper bag with a tablespoon of baking soda. Still others hang the ring outside in sunlight for a day. Living in the Pacific Northwet, that is not an option for me too often.

I have found the smell and taste does not transfer to other foods, but there are those on Facebook who claim otherwise. Since I do make cheesecake in my IPs, I have invested in additional rings. I bought the Instant Pot brand pair of rings, in red and blue. I use the blue ring for sweet items, and the red ring plus the one that came with the pot for savory items. This, and storing the lid upside down, works best for me.

#58 Gator Pam  ONLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,742 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jan 26, 2018 - 5:24 pm

Here's another suggestion I saved from a member of the Facebook group. I haven't tried it yet, but it may be worth giving a go.
https://www.copymeth...ealing-ring-fr/

#59 HanShotFirst  OFFLINE  

HanShotFirst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 Posts
  • Member since 2012

Posted Jan 27, 2018 - 10:55 am

Here's another suggestion I saved from a member of the Facebook group. I haven't tried it yet, but it may be worth giving a go.
https://www.copymeth...ealing-ring-fr/

Thank you! And I ordered the red/blue set of rings as well. I’m thinking I need an extra inner pot too. Lol

#60 Gator Pam  ONLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 2,742 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jan 28, 2018 - 10:25 am

I hope you invested in the Instant Pot brand rings, and not an off brand retailer. There's one in particular, I think their store is called Instant Prrt, or some such, who slip by with the name to those not looking carefully.

I have not heard of any problems with their sealing rings, but supposedly using knock off replacement products will void the IP warranty, should they find out somehow.

Here is my progression of IP addiction...

6-quart Duo
Fat Daddio's round 7"×3" push pan
High/Low egg racks
6-quart ceramic insert (works great!)
Red and Blue sealing rings
6-quart Ultra (other than immersion cooking function, I should have saved money with a second Duo)
(3) STABIL boiling inserts from IKEA - triangular shaped to fit three in at once
Fat Daddio's 7"×3" round cake pan for PIP cooking
Kuhn Rikon round 8"×3" push pan (which does fit in the 6-quart, *if* you use a trivet without handles)
(2) Baby food molds for copycat sous vide egg bites
(2) Wilton square 6"×6"×2" baking pans for stackable PIP cooking

...and I really want to get a Duo Mini.

Admin/Mod,if you would like to edit in links to all of these items, feel free to do so.

Edited by Gator Pam, Jan 28, 2018 - 10:29 am.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users