Do the early Black Friday dates affect your shopping verses later dates?

Kash

We get paid once a month, at the end of the month. However, in November we get paid the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, and December the Friday before Christmas. Then not again until end of January. So while getting paid earlier sounds nice... There's the potential for almost 6 weeks between paychecks. When Christmas is late in the week, there are still several more days to shop, plus less time between Nov check and Dec check. So that part is nice.

But this year will be a little harder, because there will be over 4 weeks between checks, and the check before Christmas will come just a couple days before Christmas, so no last minute online shopping.

A few years ago, Thanksgiving was early, and payroll decided to not pay us until the normal date at the end of the month, saying that the money wouldn't be available from the sources, and guess they were afraid they couldn't cover it. I was okay, but a loy of other people I know weren't able to go out shopping. That was very sad, and that hasn't happened again.

• Like 1

We get paid once a month, at the end of the month. However, in November we get paid the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, and December the Friday before Christmas. Then not again until end of January. So while getting paid earlier sounds nice... There's the potential for almost 6 weeks between paychecks. When Christmas is late in the week, there are still several more days to shop, plus less time between Nov check and Dec check. So that part is nice.

But this year will be a little harder, because there will be over 4 weeks between checks, and the check before Christmas will come just a couple days before Christmas, so no last minute online shopping.

A few years ago, Thanksgiving was early, and payroll decided to not pay us until the normal date at the end of the month, saying that the money wouldn't be available from the sources, and guess they were afraid they couldn't cover it. I was okay, but a loy of other people I know weren't able to go out shopping. That was very sad, and that hasn't happened again.

Budgeting holiday foods and gifts with 4 weeks between would be hard enough, but Wow 6 weeks between would be horrible.

Yep. Especially when you have spent your (early) December check on Christmas. Then waiting until January 31... No fun, but you just have to prepare. It was easier when my husband had a different employer and was paid bi weekly, but the last five years he's been monthly too.

Glad this topic was started... Had not started thinking about that yet.

• Like 1

I know that retailers absolutely hate it when it’s late because they lose one of the precious shopping weekends between BF and Christmas.

Counting BF weekend, there are 5 weekends this year and next year, but then in 2019 when BF goes back to the 29th, they only get 4 weekends which are where they make a huge chunk of their Q4 revenue.

For myself running the site, when BF is on the 28th or 29th it pushes Cyber Monday to December which can have some negative financial effects, but there is also more time between Halloween and BF which is when the hype is highest, so it probably evens out.

• Like 1

For me, I think that it makes little difference for my Black Friday shopping, but as Tracy0504 said, having Thanksgiving and BF earlier makes preparation for Christmas and the various activities (such as parties) that happen during that time a bit less frantic, perhaps.

• Like 3

I worked for a company that once issued bad checks and they had to end up paying all of our fees or lose their contract. I am grateful that it was never around the holidays, but they had been late with payroll quite a few times, which led to my first wife divorcing me. It really ended up being a funny story and leading to a second marriage four months later. I couldn't be happier and this wife enjoys Black Friday.

• Like 3