Weather forecasting for Black Friday

jaymacfla

Anytime you plan for an event, the weather is always a factor. We cannot control it, but we can now get a fair assessment of what we are up against when we venture out into that craziest of events, Black Friday. What will your experience be like? Will it rain, snow, or generally be cold? What gets you in the mood to shop. Down here in North Florida, we like the weather to be as frightful as possible to get in the mood to Christmas shop meaning that it needs to be cold and rainy.

Black Friday shopping is a whole other matter. I remember the old days before camping. I would pick a location that would afford me some shelter against the cold and rain because we would be lining up instead of going inside a well conditioned mall or store. For Black Friday shopping to work in either the short or long term, you have to prepare to be out in the elements for an extended period of time. In recent years, advances in online shopping have taken some of us out of that zone, but in order to get those few doorbusters, the game is still basically the same.

I like to use the National weather service for the overall top down look at the nation as a whole. You can get up to a three month forecast (guess) to see how you will generally fare during the time you will spend outside shopping. Some people enjoy lighting the fireplace or turning on the heater while online shopping. Line shoppers or campers may use this for cold weather planning. Either way, forecasts can be of use to all.

Accuweather is the type of site where they really commit to an actual day, week, or month and let you know the anticipated temperature and precipitation. I know that certain factors can shift the rain either ahead or lag behind this forecast, so be sure to check back every so often. Here are a few copy and paste links for your browser:

www.accuweather.com

www.noaa.gov

How will you use weather forecasts to plan your trip? What is the forecast in your area and how will it affect your overall plan of attack? Let's discuss...

Last Thanksgiving/BF was probably the 1st time I shopped the majority of the time w/o a coat, just my sweatpants and GD sweatshirt ...it was really comfortable out, did I mention I live in Buffalo?!?! Looks like this year we will need jackets high of 51 low 38, at least early morning and late @ night...

Sent from my SM-G930V using GottaDEAL mobile app

• Like 1

It looks like low 50s for the high and upper 20s for the low. So I will have the winter coat in the car but probably wear a zip up hoodie, easier to get on and off in store.

I'm also taking my DS with me during the day on Black Friday, so he'll be in layers and bundled in his stroller going to and from stores.

The only store I will be going to at opening is Walmart and its 24 hour so I can wait inside. And, no, the baby is not going to Walmart with me. He's staying home for some grandad, daddy, and son bonding time. Not taking an infant to Walmart at opening.

Will have to check those links while I'm planning, will be helpful.

• Like 2

Last Thanksgiving/BF was probably the 1st time I shopped the majority of the time w/o a coat, just my sweatpants and GD sweatshirt ...it was really comfortable out, did I mention I live in Buffalo?!?! Looks like this year we will need jackets high of 51 low 38, at least early morning and late @ night...

Sent from my SM-G930V using GottaDEAL mobile app

For the record I lived in the Buffalo area when I was a teenager I can appreciate the weather for what it is cold and snowy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using GottaDEAL mobile app

• Like 1

I have lived all over Michigan and done BF.  Some years I've drove in Blizzards, some sleet and ice.  Accuweather historical average says upper 20's for the average. This year is saying lows in the mid 30's, no precipitation. I like that forecast.  I would much rather wear my sweatshirt and Gottadeal t-shirt over it than a heavy winter coat.  If it doesn't change I may just bring a light blanket to wrap up in while waiting outside.

• Like 2

I'm in Oklahoma. We might have tornadoes one day, and snow the next.  We've BF shopped in everything from sleet & snow to t-shirt weather.  A few years back we had so much rain, there was 3 inches of water in the parking lots.  Had to buy dry socks, lol.  This year, we should have a high around 50° and a low around 30°. But every Okie knows, that's subject to change and we're way to far out for accurate forecasting.

• Like 1

I live in Rochester, NY and I swear you blink and the weather changes. No matter what the forecast is I will dress in layers to avoid freezing outside and melting once inside. Once we get closer I’ll know what layers to wear and what layers to have in the car trunk just in case [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using GottaDEAL

• Like 2

I'm in Oklahoma. We might have tornadoes one day, and snow the next.  We've BF shopped in everything from sleet & snow to t-shirt weather.  A few years back we had so much rain, there was 3 inches of water in the parking lots.  Had to buy dry socks, lol.  This year, we should have a high around 50° and a low around 30°. But every Okie knows, that's subject to change and we're way to far out for accurate forecasting.

Right there with you.  Weather in the South.....gotta love it.

Thursday it 80 degrees.  Yesterday, struggled to get into the 50's for highs.

I always wear a t-shirt for BF shopping. It's always hot in the stores and since there is no line to get into Walmart anymore on Thursday, I just go coatless.  I don't want the hassle of having to hold a jacket while shopping.  I figure I can survive walking in and out of the store if it's cold outside.  :)

• Like 2

I'll take the voodoo of The Old Farmers Almanac over the WAGs of the 'scientists' any day of the week and the OFA is calling for a snowstorm, then flurries and cold in New Hampshire -- which is perfect BF weather to me.  Tough enough weather to abort the trip to my in-laws, but tame enough for me to hit the road in my F150.

http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/4d186bf14bd7c8514c0e0000/citi-gorgeous-black-friday-weather-is-great-for-november-retail-sales.jpg

• Like 4

I'll take the voodoo of The Old Farmers Almanac over the WAGs of the 'scientists' any day of the week and the OFA is calling for a snowstorm, then flurries and cold in New Hampshire -- which is perfect BF weather to me. Tough enough weather to abort the trip to my in-laws, but tame enough for me to hit the road in my F150.

http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/4d186bf14bd7c8514c0e0000/citi-gorgeous-black-friday-weather-is-great-for-november-retail-sales.jpg

Yup, still need a coat in Buffalo this year

It’s been a few years since I actually had to stand outside for a significant amount of time. Back then, I would have had on a long sleeve Under Armour and my North Face. Now, I usually wear a t-shirt and a hoodie.

The extended outlook is saying cloudy with a high of 59 and a low of 40 so I’ll be good with my t-shirt and hoodie if the forecast doesn’t change too much.

I'll take the voodoo of The Old Farmers Almanac over the WAGs of the 'scientists' any day of the week and the OFA is calling for a snowstorm, then flurries and cold in New Hampshire -- which is perfect BF weather to me.  Tough enough weather to abort the trip to my in-laws, but tame enough for me to hit the road in my F150.

I can't knock your F150. My venerable beast has helped with every BF since 2003 when I brought home my GE projection HDTV from Best Buy.

this may not make me the most popular with hardcore BF shoppers, but if I had to go out in weather like in the pic, I would have to stay at home.  BRRR!  :no:

• Like 1

We have heavy coats and 2 4x4 vehicles. Weather like that screams Christmas season to me. :)

santa-s-village.jpg

When the kids were young, we used to head to Santa's Village for a 'Christmastime' weekend when I got home Friday.  We would check in, have a swim, eat dinner then enjoy a couple hours of Santa and friends -- which entitled us to a return visit Saturday via a second, lineless entrance.  Saturday, we would spend the morning at the park, leave for lunch and a swim, the end the night at the village.  Sunday, breakfast, a swim, and back home.  The pool was indoors but surrounded by windows...

http://www.cabotinnandsuites.com/images/me3.jpg

Love to lounge in the hot tub during a blizzard.  I really need some grandchildren.

Edited by len_mullen
  • Like 2

santa-s-village.jpg

When the kids were young, we used to head to Santa's Village for a 'Christmastime' weekend when I got home Friday.  We would check in, have a swim, eat dinner then enjoy a couple hours of Santa and friends -- which entitled us to a return visit Saturday via a second, lineless entrance.  Saturday, we would spend the morning at the park, leave for lunch and a swim, the end the night at the village.  Sunday, breakfast, a swim, and back home.  The pool was indoors but surrounded by windows...

http://www.cabotinnandsuites.com/images/me3.jpg

Love to lounge in the hot tub during a blizzard.  I really need some grandchildren.

Thats awesome looking. I love when it's snowing, it's so peaceful as it's coming down makes me smile.

• 3 weeks later...

I plan to go out Friday and honestly a high of 48 degrees and no rain (or snow when it’s colder during the early morning hours) is pretty darn decent weather for upstate NY this time of year. I might not even wear a coat (I’ll have it in the trunk just in case though) [emoji3]