Cutting an artificial tree?

stewarta4

Yes, you read it right lol. A couple of years ago I was able to get a 9ft Christmas tree from Walmart for $30. It's gorgeous. We have cathedral ceilings so in some parts of our living room, the tree fits with no issues...but I think this year I want it back in the corner of the room (where the ceiling is considerably lower) to save space and so I only have to decorate one side of the tree lol. I know it wont fit in its current state so I'm considering cutting off a significant portion of the metal rod that goes into the stand (the bottom portion that has no branches) to make it shorter. Anyone ever done anything like this before?  I can't imagine it not working...my only concern is that it will cause the first row of branches to be a lot closer to the floor but I honestly don't think that would look bad. I considered cutting some of the top portion of the tree off but I feel that would be a lot more noticeable and possibly look ridiculous. Any input? I'd really prefer to not buy another tree.  :holiday16  :holiday07

Edited by stewarta4

I will have to look at it when I get it out of the box. If I remember correctly, it'a not made like most trees that have the removable bottom rod. (It's so hard to describe these types of things)...if it does, then that would probably be better for me to try out! :)

Depending on how it's made you should be able to cut the bottom portion main tube down some. You will need to make sure that it's not shaped on the end of the tube to fit down in a base. Also you may be able to get another tube to fit inside and drill a hole in each side and use pins in case you ever want it to be 9' again. Modifying from the bottom is probably a lot better of an idea that trying the top as you will be messing with the shape of the tree at that point. Our huge fake tree (over 9') has branches all the way down to the floor and it looks great so having the bottom row of branches lower isn't a huge deal.

Maybe you could post pictures of the pieces? Was thinking maybe use the bottom as is and then leave out one of the middle sections and then use the top? Then you wouldn't have to cut it incase you want to use it tall again.

• Like 1

This does not help you at all, but it reminded me of a book I used to read as a child about a tree that was too tall, so they cut the top off. Instead of throwing it out, I think the maid took  the top, but that was too tall for where she wanted it, so she cut the top off. So someone else took that piece and had to cut the top off, and by the end of the book everyone, down to the mice, had a nice Christmas tree :).  I need to see if I can find that book for my grandchildren.

As for your dilemma, if you can figure out how to cut part of the bottom rod off (is it pre-lit, and is the rod part of that? Something to think about.), I think it will look fine for the bottom branches to be close to the floor.  In fact, I prefer that look.

• Like 1

The only perceived problem I can see is if your bottom pole it tapered cutting this off might pose a problem for how it goes into the stand.

I have a 10 foot artificial tree and the bottom row of branches was too wide and too low to the ground. I simply unbent the wire and remove the bottom row, now it's perfect.

A little different than your situation, but if after you cut it if the bottom row is too low then you can do what I did.