Official Black Friday SMART HOME Discussion Thread

Brad

Is there something for the mailbox so my parents don't have to walk down the icy driveway just to find out the mail hasn't come yet?!

You can get something like a motion sensor to put inside the mailbox and it will alert you when the mailbox opens. However, there isn't much rated for outdoor, and you'll have to be within 30 feet for ZWave to communicate.

Sent from my SM-G930V using GottaDEAL mobile app

I think Amazon is working on that. Which is part of the reason why they now have a special lock for you to install to let them in whenever they need/want.

Interesting... something to think about. I want an Astro dog my self.

Is there something for the mailbox so my parents don't have to walk down the icy driveway just to find out the mail hasn't come yet?!

You can get a go pro and put it in there to watch live but someone might take it or ask the mail people to lower the arm to signal they have cone by

Not smart home related, exactly, but our mailbox has an additional flag that raises or lowers anytime someone opens the door.  Every evening when I get the mail, I make sure it's pointed down, and then the next day when the mail person opens the box to put the mail in, it automatically raises the flag and stays that way until someone opens it again.  I can't see it from my house (too far and too many trees), but if they have a good line of sight to the mailbox, it would work. 

Nest deals:

(Nov 22 at 12:01 am EST - Nov 27 @ 11:59pm PST)
$50 off Nest Learning Thermostat
$50 off Nest Cam Outdoor
$60 off Nest cam Indoor
$50 off Nest Cam Indoor IQ
$50 off 2- pack of Nest Cam Outdoor
$50 off 3- pack of Nest Cam Indoor
$40 off 2- pack of Nest Learning Thermostat E
$20 off Nest Protect

I want the color lights. I see there in the BB BF ad so I am going to try and get them and start to build my smart house that hopefully want trap me inside if I don't clean it up right away

I hope so too as I am tried of having to get up and cut the lights off while I'm comfortable in bed

https://www.walmart.com/ip/As-Seen-on-TV-The-Clapper-Clap-on-Clap-off/10740655

• Like 2

When I was a kid, the people across the street had a mailbox with a bob that dropped when the door was open.  It was, basically, a red ball on a string that sat in an eye bolt in the door.  When the door was opened, the ball fell out of the eye bolt and hung by the cord.  I see a lot of these on my commute...

https://www.wdrake.com/buy-new-mail-box-alert-ball-337394

It's wireless!

Only concern with high tech options is that your folks may not be good about changing the battery.

Get USPS informed Delivery it will tell you if mail is actually coming that day.  Has saved me trips to mailbox, since I know nothing was coming that day

• Like 1

Get USPS informed Delivery it will tell you if mail is actually coming that day. Has saved me trips to mailbox, since I know nothing was coming that day

True. Though, it won't inform you of all catalog/mass mailer items. It will let you know 95% of what you care about.

But also doesn't inform you (necessarily) when that mail arrives.

Not a big Smart home guy, but I DO love Amazon's Alexa products.  The Show is my preferred device and Quill is offering one for $179 with a free smart plug and other crap plus $5 off with code FIVE4U.  If you usea Quill card to purchase the Show, you will get a $20 gift card...

http://www.qvc.com/Amazon-Echo-Show-with-Smart-Plug%2C-Music-Offer%2C-%26-Audible-Books.product.E231445.html?productNumber=E231445&cm_ven=CJ&ref=CJ1&cm_cat=5325996&cm_pla=11827882&cm_ite=2617611&cvosrc=affiliate.cj.5325996

Happy shopping!

I have a question. I have health issues and am wondering if the Echo Dot could get help forme (call someone) if I couldn't get to a phone. Anybody know?

From my understanding, Echo has the ability to call other echos (or maybe phones via the Alexa app) with their calling service. Google Home (And mini) have the ability to call any phone number or any name in your contacts; cannot call 911, however.

Can anyone tell me please what the big Google Home does that the little mini doesn't do? I've tried reading descriptions from a few stores and really haven't found anything. I'm assuming it's like the Dot and Echo.... Just a bigger better speaker? Anything else?

Thanks!

Can anyone tell me please what the big Google Home does that the little mini doesn't do? I've tried reading descriptions from a few stores and really haven't found anything. I'm assuming it's like the Dot and Echo.... Just a bigger better speaker? Anything else?

Thanks!

You pretty much got it. Think of Echo vs Echo Dot.

okay, I have been playing with these lights for 2 days and I love it. I need more lights. I can on assume what my neighbors think. It has to look like our house is possessed

it's like a child with a new toy, isn't it? I think I've gone thru every dimness (I'm sure there's a word, but dimness works for me), just so I can keep giving commands. "Amazon, light 4%" "Amazon, light 27%"...  LOL

• Like 1

Great, thanks!! Just making sure. Especially since I haven't quite wrapped my head around the whole echo thing yet either.

In the case of the Echo, it's not just the speaker quality -- though it is definitely better.  The Echo features an array of microphones which definitely picks up commands better.  The Dot has aux out, so you can use your own speakers or a stereo for playback -- which means more than one speaker.  (The new Echos have aux out as well.)

https://www.howtogeek.com/327622/which-amazon-echo-should-i-buy/

Thanks. When I was comparing the Google Home and Google Home Mini on Best Buy's website, the number of microphones was the only difference I saw in the chart. Thank you for explaining what more microphones would do.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get it with "being in a noisy environment", without being too technical.