Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

Official Black Friday SMART HOME Discussion Thread

44 replies to this topic

#31 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 17, 2017 - 9:44 am

Woot just blew through some Echo Dots a little while ago for $25 ea.  (Today is a Woot-off.)

I went ahead and bought 3.  We'll see if they improve my life.  :)

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#32 Bopeep  OFFLINE  

Bopeep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 17, 2017 - 11:53 am

Woot just blew through some Echo Dots a little while ago for $25 ea.  (Today is a Woot-off.)

I've shopped Woot, but I'm not sure what a Woot-off is.  Wish I had caught that deal though. :)

#33 jesusluvu  OFFLINE  

jesusluvu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Oct 17, 2017 - 12:38 pm

Woot just blew through some Echo Dots a little while ago for $25 ea. (Today is a Woot-off.)
I went ahead and bought 3. We'll see if they improve my life. :)

Dang that was a good deal. I hope they put it back up.

#34 bribri25  ONLINE  

bribri25

• 1,570 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Oct 17, 2017 - 12:44 pm

I wonder if Amazon will go that low for BF... doubt it.

#35 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 1,731 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 17, 2017 - 1:07 pm

They might it was probably the last gen stuff, if you did the pre order for the new firetv stick then you could get one for like $10.

#36 bribri25  ONLINE  

bribri25

• 1,570 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Oct 17, 2017 - 1:09 pm

They might it was probably the last gen stuff, if you did the pre order for the new firetv stick then you could get one for like $10.

I already have one Fire Stick not getting used; I don't need another one of those ;)

#37 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 1,731 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 17, 2017 - 1:10 pm

I already have one Fire Stick not getting used; I don't need another one of those ;)

We use both of ours often with some ADD ONS. :sidesplit

Got the new one since it's supposed to be faster and supports 4K.

#38 Bopeep  OFFLINE  

Bopeep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 17, 2017 - 1:36 pm

I'm expecting $39, maybe $35 on BF, but man I would love to see it at $25.

#39 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,040 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 18, 2017 - 7:59 am

The details say 2nd Gen and new.  We'll see.

Amazon now owns Woot, so that might explain the deal a little.

<off topic tangent>

BTW, Woot's original shtick was they would offer a truck load of one item for 24 hours for a crazy good price.  The items would vary from just about any category you could think of.  You were limited to buying no more than 3.  Flat $5 shipping.  And they put a lot of effort into making funny item descriptions.  If they sold out, then you just had to wait for the next day to see what was next.  If you didn't like what was on sale, then you just had to wait for the next day.  But when they didn't sell out, they were left with small piles of product.  So about once every couple months, they'd have a Woot-off where they would just blow through all their left-overs.  Everything was even a couple bucks cheaper, but they might only have a handful left.  Stuff would sell out in minutes, and then they'd pop the next item up.  As a gag, they actually offered a "bag of crap" where you would just buy it and they would send you crap.  Cost was $1 per bag plus $5 shipping.  People would rush these things like Black Friday door busters.  Acquiring them became badges of honor.  I got a couple in my day...probably got $10 - $15 dollars worth or random crap... :)  My brother actually got a DVD/VCR combo in his BOC once (long time ago obviously).  

Then Amazon bought them.  And Amazon pretty much changed everything.  Now, there's probably at least 3 or 4 dozen things available on Woot every day.  Some things for 24 hours, some things for weeks...  The prices are hit or miss.  It has definitely lost a lot of its charm.  The original creaters of Woot eventually went on to create Meh.com which is truer to their initial intent of one item per day.

</off topic tangent>

#40 Kash  OFFLINE  

Kash

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Oct 18, 2017 - 3:50 pm

We recently got a RING doorbell here at our home and let me tell you it works great! Especially because our home is 3 floors, sometimes we can't get downstairs (and who wants to walk 3 flights of stairs) to check immediately. The video quality on the app is my only concern as it freezes every now and then.

Which one did you get? I have been thinking about getting the one that's fairly skinny as the doorbell on our house is placed between the door and the side light window. Not a lot of space and the other ones seem to be fairly wide.

I bought a Ring doorbell last year on BF because we have a long driveway with a gate.  We love it.  Only 1 person has "rang" it....that was UPS.  He said UPS just gonna leave your package in the crate here (which is what its for).  lol It is nice that you can talk from your phone threw it to whomever is there, as well as see them in color.  What we really like is that we set the motion range to the distance away we want and it sends a signal when something comes within that.  It also records the motion day and night and can be viewed at a later time.  There is a small fee I think we pay yearly after the 3 month trial.  Now I'm looking at the security cameras available by ring.  If they work as well we will be getting some. 

I also have to say I love my Echo.  I tell Alexa every morning to play my spotify while I work out... no need for headphones!

#41 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,040 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 19, 2017 - 5:50 am

Woot has more Alexa goodness today...

https://www.woot.com/?ref=so_ft_tn_w_1

Amazon Tap for $55 (plus $5 shipping)

certified refurbished

Looks like it's $90 refurbished directly from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.c...-4&keywords=tap

Edited by Pnambic, Oct 19, 2017 - 5:51 am.

#42 jesusluvu  OFFLINE  

jesusluvu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Oct 19, 2017 - 8:06 am

Woot has more Alexa goodness today...
https://www.woot.com/?ref=so_ft_tn_w_1

Amazon Tap for $55 (plus $5 shipping)
certified refurbished

Looks like it's $90 refurbished directly from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.c...-4&keywords=tap

Yea I saw it but I am leaning more in the Google side of things. I might get it just in case and return if I decide so I want loose the price but it might be the same or cheaper BF so what do we do?

#43 Apettigrass  OFFLINE  

Apettigrass

• PipPipPip
  • 3 Posts
  • Member since 2016

Posted Yesterday, 10:33 am

We use the Zmodo cameras in our house. Uses the wifi but must plug in for power source. What I like is it will store a bunch of data for free, you can pay for more storage if you want/need it, but I check the footage daily and delete daily so there is no need in my household to pay that extra fee. I couldn't decide between 2 models so bought both, the pivot model is the clear winner. Bought them during some deal where we also got a free outdoor camera too, but a year later we have yet to take out of the box and use (not based on any issue with the product, just laziness).

We are really looking forward to getting a good deal on a Nest system this year, wanted to buy one last year but my husband talked me out if it. Now he wants one, so I hope the deals will be even better this year! Haven't really heard any complaints about the nest products, only good stuff.

#44 flosmoney  OFFLINE  

flosmoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Yesterday, 3:30 pm

We have Amcrest cameras and they have an app to use on phones and tablets. My husband bought on Amazon. He installed them and replaced the older system. After the initial cost that’s it. We have no camera inside. We all around the house and yard covered. We don’t have it with Alexa. Really enjoy Alexa to work with WeMo and Phillip Hue other devices. A favorite is grocery list and timers and controlling lights stereo and television and music.

#45 Kash  OFFLINE  

Kash

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Yesterday, 5:01 pm

Does anybody have the Arlo wireless camera system by netgear? A friend has it and loves it.  Interested in more opinions to help us decide. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users