Official Black Friday APPLIANCES Discussion Thread

Brad

As always, we have several dedicated threads for the hotter items each Black Friday. Please try to keep all discussion related to these items in their official threads. Other threads posted will likely be merged into this main thread.

I'll be shopping for a washer and an electric dryer on BF.  I have been slow to act on this need because I have read nothing good about the current crop.  Reviews talk about exploding Samsung washers, failed transmissions in front loaders, and rusting drums after only a few years.  Besides looking for good prices, I will watch this forum for recommendations from people who LOVE their washer.  Thank you!

• Like 1

When we built our new house 2.5 years ago we got all new appliances. After research and talking with the appliance people we ended up getting Maytag, went with the 5.3 cubic ft top load washer and it's matching dryer. Both of them have the steam feature in them and to date have been absolutely flawless in working. We did add the extended warranty to both for nothing other than all the electronics in them. My dad used to own an appliance repair business and he always swore by Maytag being well built and it still seems to be the case from our current experience. We had looked at the Samsung ones but outside of exploding the lady at Home Depot told us they had been having a lot of complaints with them tearing clothes. So that was 2 strikes for them on the washer/dryer front.

• Like 1

My aunt had a Kenmore front-loader several years ago.  She hated it and honeslty I'm not even sure the darn thing lasted 2 full years before it started having issues.  

I'm perfectly happy with my base-model appliances.  While the "fanciness" would be nice, the hassel that some have with them...not so much.  

I've had my Frigidaire washer for 18 years now and only two minor repairs that I can think of.  I've had to replace the matching dryer however and went with Kenmore.  So far so good on that one.  Now that Sears is fast becoming irrelevant I'm not sure what that will mean for repairs though.  

Edited by HanShotFirst
  • Like 1

This year we will be shopping for all new stainless appliances (Fridge, stove, microwave, dishwasher) for our kitchen. I've been referencing last year's ads to try to get a general idea of how much we will need to spend. Hoping to spend less than $3k. The less, the better...but also don't want to end up with terrible quality appliances. Last year Lowe's had all 4 pieces (Samsung brand) for $2,225...hoping to find a similar deal this year. Does anyone have any experience with buying large items like these on BF? I assume retailers allow you to schedule delivery/pickup at a later date? 

I'll be shopping for a washer and an electric dryer on BF.  I have been slow to act on this need because I have read nothing good about the current crop.  Reviews talk about exploding Samsung washers, failed transmissions in front loaders, and rusting drums after only a few years.  Besides looking for good prices, I will watch this forum for recommendations from people who LOVE their washer.  Thank you!

We have a Samsung front loader and I cannot say enough bad things about it...I'd give anything to have a regular non HE top loader again...

• Like 1

This year we will be shopping for all new stainless appliances (Fridge, stove, microwave, dishwasher) for our kitchen. I've been referencing last year's ads to try to get a general idea of how much we will need to spend. Hoping to spend less than $3k. The less, the better...but also don't want to end up with terrible quality appliances. Last year Lowe's had all 4 pieces (Samsung brand) for $2,225...hoping to find a similar deal this year. Does anyone have any experience with buying large items like these on BF? I assume retailers allow you to schedule delivery/pickup at a later date? 

Sears usually has a ton of packages on sale. I just bought a package from Lowes of stainless appliances for a house we are flipping. Paid just over $2k for Stove, Fridge (wanted side by side), dishwasher and gas stove.  It's Samsung and unlike their washers these seem to be really good quality and had great reviews. Lowes/Home Depot seem to have bundle sales all the time.

• Like 1

I'm hoping my washer and dryer make it until BF. They are both LG. They have both loved throwing error codes at will since shortly after I bought them, and they are more expensive to fix than other brands. The dryer rollers were 3x the price of others, and that is with me fixing them myself. Having said that, they have been limping along for 6 years now after putting about $350 into repairing both but they still need work that I'm not willing to do. I'm looking at the Electrolux EFLS617SIW with gas dryer, or a Speed Queen. I would prefer the SQ, but I don't think my king sheets would fit in 3.1 cf. The professional reviews for the Electrolux rave about the cleaning ability, which is very important to me, but a surprising amount of personal reviews had ongoing problems with them. My mother and sister like their cheapie Maytags, and I'm tempted to just buy what they have and call it a day. 

The repairman said that washers/dryers are only meant to last 5 years. Since when did something that costs over $800 each become that disposable? Why is it so hard to pick out a decent washer??

We've been very happy with our LG pair that we bought several years ago (they were Consumer Reports recommended at the time.)

• Like 1

I'll be shopping for a washer and an electric dryer on BF. I have been slow to act on this need because I have read nothing good about the current crop. Reviews talk about exploding Samsung washers, failed transmissions in front loaders, and rusting drums after only a few years. Besides looking for good prices, I will watch this forum for recommendations from people who LOVE their washer. Thank you!

I need some recommendations as well. Washer and electric dryer are my big items this year. I need a top loading washer though. I'm not messing with front loaders!

Sent from my SM-N920T using GottaDEAL mobile app

I would stay away from Samsung brand. We have their french door refrigerator, nothing but problems with it. In fact, we are ready to replace it and it's only 5 years old.

As always, we have several dedicated threads for the hotter items each Black Friday. Please try to keep all discussion related to these items in their official threads. Other threads posted will likely be merged into this main thread.

Sent from my LGLS992 using GottaDEAL mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I will be looking for a stove on Black Friday as my oven went out. If I find a deal I wouldn’t mind upgrading my fridge and dishwasher as well. Watching this thread and waiting for the ads.

Sent from my iPhone using GottaDEAL

Edited by babygirl913

Looking for a drop in stove/oven combo (or a slide in with controls on the front). Have not seen anything for under a $1000. I am currently all electric (pun?) lol. Will consider gas . . .We've done some cosmetic upgrades to our kitchen and the 20 year old almond stove top just doesn't cut it. 

Home Depot is having a sale right now.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Appliances/N-5yc1vZbv1w

Last week we ordered an over the range microwave. I went online to see if it was ready to be picked up and noticed it dropped another $20. They gave me the difference when I picked it up last night. I've been watching prices for those for a few months and it's at the lowest price right now that I've seen.

Home Depot, Lowes, and JCP have all advertised "Black Friday prices Now" on the appliances.  I haven't gone through the JCP ad yet to actually see.  Do you think we will have another price drop?  The prices seem to be roughly the same throughout the stores (similar to how Samsung has done their TVs for years).  Will Best Buy or Fry's net us a better deal?

I'm looking for a secondary fridge for the garage (in Wisconsin where the winters often go below 0 degrees) so I don't want to spend too much, but also don't want it to die just after the warranty runs out. I'm looking at a Frigidaire at HomeDepot right now for $398, but may hold out a bit until some of the other BF ads are leaked.

Last year I purchased a dishwasher online for my daughter who lives 3 hours away. Set up delivery for her house, easy peasy.

Also, though, as someone mentioned, many of the stores do their appliance sale all month long during November. I know Home Depot and Penney's for sure already have their sale going. So it doesn't have to be done on black Friday.

Edited by bluebear

Anyone getting excited over the washer and dryer offerings?  My 'value' detector is pulling me towards a GE pair -- the GTW680BSJWS and GTD65EBSJWS.  Consumersearch.com and laundry.reviewed.com all had good things to say about the pair and consumer reviews are no worse than any other pair.  

http://laundry.reviewed.com/content/ge-gtw680bsjws-washing-machine-review

http://laundry.reviewed.com/content/ge-gtd65ebsjws-dryer-review

I particularly liked what this guy had to say...

This is a great washer, Very Big Im a single guy and most of my clothes washed are work clothes , they get extremely dirty. It does a nice job on them. It also does a great job on my king bedding very important I gave it the five and benifit of doubt as I am not used to the new technology, Some cycles can take over and hour, Just plan ahead. ( it definitely isnt like the conventional washers) I just wash EVERYTHING on Saturday morning and go about my business and dry them when you get home. Only thing I dont like and still cant figure out if it works properly is the Softner dispenser, I am going to get a ball thingy , but in meantime I try to catch it at rinse and pour enough in, This thing is big and I like soft, so double it up. I am also looking into better softner as apposed to store brand. Also use the pods or packs all in one, use two.... and definitely use the Oxi it really gets the dingy out of my work clothes. Keep up the good work GE!

Home Depot and Lowes have the pair for $1k with a $50 rebate for buying two appliances.  

What do you think?