Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

Toys R Us Has Officially Filed for Bankruptcy

10 replies to this topic

#1 bigjimslade  OFFLINE  

bigjimslade

• 4,296 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 6, 2017 - 6:57 pm

From WFAA in Dallas

http://www.wfaa.com/...ption/471782101

Here is a NYT story:

https://www.nytimes....y-advisers.html

Edited by bigjimslade, Sep 19, 2017 - 10:06 am.
Updated title to reflect bankruptcy

#2 mommyofanangelb  OFFLINE  

mommyofanangelb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 7, 2017 - 7:04 am

Wow! I just got an email today from then with the hot toy list. Wonder how this will play out for us shoppers for the holiday season 🤔

Edited by mommyofanangelb, Sep 7, 2017 - 7:17 am.

"Oooh fuuudge! Only I didn't say "Fudge." I said THE word, the big one, the queen-mother of dirty words, the 'F-dash-dash-dash' word! ---Ralphie

#3 jaymacfla  OFFLINE  

jaymacfla

President, Black Friday Vacationers

• 1,473 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 9, 2017 - 7:45 am

Wow! I just got an email today from then with the hot toy list. Wonder how this will play out for us shoppers for the holiday season 🤔

Toys R US lost relevance years ago. They failed on many fronts, closed stores and refused to be competitive in their pricing scheme. Sadly, we have seen all too many stores do the same thing and close in the last ten years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using GottaDEAL mobile app

#4 freesia39  OFFLINE  

freesia39

• 12,037 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 11, 2017 - 6:37 am

Toys R US lost relevance years ago. They failed on many fronts, closed stores and refused to be competitive in their pricing scheme. Sadly, we have seen all too many stores do the same thing and close in the last ten years.

Ding ding ding.

GO BRUINS!

#5 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 20,412 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 18, 2017 - 12:16 pm

https://consumerist....dium=socialflow

Bankruptcy filing expected this week...

#6 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 20,412 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 19, 2017 - 4:52 am

Filed this morning. Some stores to close, others to become more "interactive spaces" whatever that means...

https://www.usatoday...ures/680135001/

#7 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 19, 2017 - 6:12 am

It's odd you read different stories from different places and they don't say the same facts. One I read earlier this morning in the local paper said they aren't shuttering any stores. I think the big issue is they need to lower their prices. I can almost ALWAYS get toys cheaper from many places.

#8 Tara3117  OFFLINE  

Tara3117

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 19, 2017 - 7:40 am

I'm hoping this means better sales, like how Gymboree has better sales and coupons now that they are bankrupt. I do like the idea of an open space with birthday parties, etc. But they honestly aren't my first choice for toy shopping. I'd rather go to Target and get 5% off. 

"If Joan of Arc could turn the tide of an entire war before her eighteenth birthday, you can get out of bed." ~ E. Jean Carroll

#9 bigjimslade  OFFLINE  

bigjimslade

• 4,296 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 19, 2017 - 8:47 am

What killed TRU is the tablet. Over the last 5 years or so on GD we have had parents ask the question every year "How young is too young to buy my kid a iphone or tablet." The other thing that killed them was they did not have any special edition toys or brands. WM, Target and others for the last few years have had special edition brands and toys. This did not only target kids but parents who are my age who are wanting to re live our childhood and re collect the toys that our parents gave to Goodwill when we moved out to college.

#10 bigjimslade  OFFLINE  

bigjimslade

• 4,296 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 19, 2017 - 10:07 am

Here is info from corp.

https://www.toysrusi...m/restructuring

#11 berry1014  OFFLINE  

berry1014

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 20, 2017 - 7:47 am

We still shop there for Legos for our son as they have a better selection then most other stores and they always have a sale on Legos. Everything else is a hit or miss. Most times I can find better deals at Target or Walmart especially when it gets closer to Christmas. We are just about out of the Toy buying stage for our kids with the exception of board games, video games and right now Legos. Definitely don't spend as much there as we used to when the kids were little.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users