Official Black Friday TVs (HD & 4K) Discussion Thread

Brad

Impressive for that price point.

Sent from my iPhone using GottaDEAL

Even said HDR on the side of the box. It proves my point that Best buy was hiding features on order to sell upper end televisions. This is happening across all brands. This may be at the request of the manufacturers, so I will just leave it at that and say to ALWAYS check the manufacturer's website and to check real reviews (not paid incentive ones) or other well known sites where people report actual experiences and specifications.

• Like 1

OMG!!! I just finally setup my Sharp 50" Smart 4K TV from BB, the difference is amazing, i love that I have different picture modes, for movies, sports, etc.

The picture is so nice when im watching sports, it darkens up for movies. I am happy I was able to get one

Thank You Ray once again.

ready to replace the other TV's in my house now for 4K

• Like 2

OMG!!! I just finally setup my Sharp 50" Smart 4K TV from BB, the difference is amazing, i love that I have different picture modes, for movies, sports, etc.

The picture is so nice when im watching sports, it darkens up for movies. I am happy I was able to get one

Thank You Ray once again.

ready to replace the other TV's in my house now for 4K

Thats great. I am still waiting for my TV to be delivered. I hope I choose the right one if not I will box it back up and take it to the store and start over again next year. 

Ahhh...

Got the two Acer 28" 4K monitors I ordered on Black Friday set up....(sorta)....  

While the specs didn't say they were VESA compatible, I found the requisite bolt pattern under the stand mount on the back when I got my hands on them, so I was able to mount them to my dual monitor stand on my desk with ease.  Loving it.  And with the screen's at 28" and me sitting less than 2 feet away, the 4K really is discernable.  SQL Server Management Server is actually comfortably roomy now.  Plenty of room.

Except...

Even though I checked by laptop's video card chipset to verify it could handle 2 simultaneous 4K signals, and I looked at the back of my docking station to find 1 DP, 1 HDMI, 1 VGA and 1 DVI port, the Pro dock apparently only allows ONE 4K signal through.  I thought I'd be able to use the DP and the HDMI (both 4K capable on their own) simultaneously.  Wrong.  So, now I've ordered an Ultra Dock which adds an additional DP port so I can connect two 4K monitors at the same time. 

Just a couple days away from having a 7680 x 2160 desktop staring back at me.  :D

• Like 1

Looks like we are heading into another format war. HDR10, Dolby Vision and others. Personally I'm sitting back and wait for the dust to settle as I am a victim of this war. I bought a Sony XBR55X850C set two years ago. Which at the time was considered a higher end set. It was advertised as HDR. Just bought an Xbox One S and was looking forward to finally getting to view 4k on my 4k set. What a big disappointment this turned out to be. I popped in my brand new copy of The Martian, rated as one of the better 4k transfers, and was shocked. Colors were extremely muted. Details were no better than blu ray. In fact I still had my Panasonic blu ray player hooked up and did a comparison between the 4k copy and blu ray copy. The blu ray copy won hands down. Details were sharper. Colors popped. After some research I discovered that my 4k HDR set was only HDR compatible. Not true HDR. So I am not really getting the full advantage of 4k. I consider myself pretty tech savvy. But I am a victim of good marketing and advertising. This is as bad as all of the different audio formats that keep you constantly upgrading.

Tap'd from my 7+

• Like 1

Looks like we are heading into another format war. HDR10, Dolby Vision and others. Personally I'm sitting back and wait for the dust to settle as I am a victim of this war. I bought a Sony XBR55X850C set two years ago. Which at the time was considered a higher end set. It was advertised as HDR. Just bought an Xbox One S and was looking forward to finally getting to view 4k on my 4k set. What a big disappointment this turned out to be. I popped in my brand new copy of The Martian, rated as one of the better 4k transfers, and was shocked. Colors were extremely muted. Details were no better than blu ray. In fact I still had my Panasonic blu ray player hooked up and did a comparison between the 4k copy and blu ray copy. The blu ray copy won hands down. Details were sharper. Colors popped. After some research I discovered that my 4k HDR set was only HDR compatible. Not true HDR. So I am not really getting the full advantage of 4k. I consider myself pretty tech savvy. But I am a victim of good marketing and advertising. This is as bad as all of the different audio formats that keep you constantly upgrading.

Tap'd from my 7+

Preach it rev. Monstermile.  I think everyone just tunes me out anymore.

People are predisposed to believe what they want to believe.  And no one wants to believe they're going to be duped.

Preach it rev. Monstermile.  I think everyone just tunes me out anymore.

People are predisposed to believe what they want to believe.  And no one wants to believe they're going to be duped.

I think it's more of an it is what it is type of situation. It will never end and there will always be some new format out. Beta/VHS VHS/DVD DVD/HD-DVD/Blu Ray and so on and on and on. 4K will be replaced by 8k then 12k then 864,000K and so on. I think holding out at first is a good idea but you get to a point where you need/want to replace a piece of electronics you can't wait for the next great thing because it will soon be in some battle and replaced also. I think you just need to go into it with open eyes and knowledge of what you're getting now and what could be coming down the pipe.

• Like 1

I think it's more of an it is what it is type of situation. It will never end and there will always be some new format out. Beta/VHS VHS/DVD DVD/HD-DVD/Blu Ray and so on and on and on. 4K will be replaced by 8k then 12k then 864,000K and so on. I think holding out at first is a good idea but you get to a point where you need/want to replace a piece of electronics you can't wait for the next great thing because it will soon be in some battle and replaced also. I think you just need to go into it with open eyes and knowledge of what you're getting now and what could be coming down the pipe.

I'm honestly not buying in to 4k. I don't really think it will catch on. I still know many many people who haven't made the switch to blu ray.

When I bought this set I bought it because it had an awesome 1080p picture. Didn't really have much of a desire to go into 4k. Nor the 3D that it does. But with the fire sale prices of the XBOX ONE S and Black Friday sales on 4k discs I figure I'd see what I was missing. Apparently not much. I'm just really glad the 4k discs come with blu ray as well. With the exception of Planet Earth 2. Which I will wait to watch when I eventually upgrade my set.

Tap'd from my 7+

I'm honestly not buying in to 4k. I don't really think it will catch on. I still know many many people who haven't made the switch to blu ray.

When I bought this set I bought it because it had an awesome 1080p picture. Didn't really have much of a desire to go into 4k. Nor the 3D that it does. But with the fire sale prices of the XBOX ONE S and Black Friday sales on 4k discs I figure I'd see what I was missing. Apparently not much. I'm just really glad the 4k discs come with blu ray as well. With the exception of Planet Earth 2. Which I will wait to watch when I eventually upgrade my set.

Tap'd from my 7+

I only have 1 out of our 4 TV's that's 4K. We replaced our TV in our bedroom last BF and the price on the LG we got was great so we went 4K. I can say when you get good content you can tell the difference, things are sharper and better color, if all is equal then it's a good deal. I would not replace a 1080p set just because of 4K though. When our big TV in the living room get's replaced then it will become a 4K or 8k or whatever is out at that point. To be honest I'm looking forward more to an OLED screen than some magic display resolution. :)

I only have 1 out of our 4 TV's that's 4K. We replaced our TV in our bedroom last BF and the price on the LG we got was great so we went 4K. I can say when you get good content you can tell the difference, things are sharper and better color, if all is equal then it's a good deal. I would not replace a 1080p set just because of 4K though. When our big TV in the living room get's replaced then it will become a 4K or 8k or whatever is out at that point. To be honest I'm looking forward more to an OLED screen than some magic display resolution. :)

Most of my televisions are 720p plasmas.  Among these is the very first HD TV I ever bought (50" Samsung).  I have one 60" 1080p plasma and just bought a couple 55" 4k HDR LEDs.  I don't see enough of a difference to replace any of the plasmas with a 4k HDR television.

• Like 1

Most of my televisions are 720p plasmas.  Among these is the very first HD TV I ever bought (50" Samsung).  I have one 60" 1080p plasma and just bought a couple 55" 4k HDR LEDs.  I don't see enough of a difference to replace any of the plasmas with a 4k HDR television.

I was all about the plasma :)

We gave ours to my inlaws when we moved states. I didn't want to take the change of it getting broken, I liked it too much to chance that.

• Like 1

Depending on what you're replacing...

- if you're replacing a comparably sized TV, prepare to be underwhelmed probably

- if you're replacing a significantly smaller TV, I bet you'll love it.

Does your room have the space to allow you to set the new next to the old and compare them side by side?