Official Black Friday TVs (HD & 4K) Discussion Thread

Brad

Because Sony and Toshiba and LG and Samsung (and everyone else) refuse to play nicely and agree on a single standard.

It was VHS/Beta in the '80's and BluRay/HDDVD in the '00's.

Now it's HDR10/Dolby Vision/HLG/Advanced HDR/whatever else comes up in the late 2010's...

I guessed right with VHS. Guessed wrong with HDDVD. Done guessing - I'll let them waste their millions/billions fighting it out before I spend an extra dime on it this time.

To really get something that will blow your socks off like HD first did in comparison to the old SD sets, you need to have media that's in the cool new formats and you need to have hardware that supports displaying that new media in all its amazing glory. That means 4K media in HDR and WCG (and some other cool new things) and a TV that supports the proper HDR format and also not only supports WCG but does a good job of it and all those other things like color depth and viewing angles and uniformity and brightness and, and and... It sure seems like there are a LOT of TVs out there right now with 4K plastered all over the boxes, but they don't support WCG (Wide Color Gamut). What a waste that would be to buy a 4K TV that only allows you to get a sliver of the benefit of the (already somewhat limited) 4K experience. The 4K pixels only count if you're close enough to discern them, which most people are not - the Wide Color Gamut would potentially be awe-inspiring from all viewing distances. There are so many other things that make a great TV besides "4K" that people are just not really aware of. RTings.com does a fine job of educating.

Keep enlightening people that's what you do best! Most people do not structure their living room or bedroom for that matter for proper 4K viewing anyway. The percentages for proper 4K viewing are extremely low at this point but as long as they are providing a 4K television set with smart features it is still a win for most people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using GottaDEAL mobile app

Expert advice please.....Need a 39/40 inch, can maybe go to 43 but no larger. Here's the thing, if I go with 4K, do I need to replace my roku 2 or will it be ok? What are my best choices? Thx.

My question to you is why are you limiting your choices with such a small set? There are many choices and the 50 inch range that have Roku built in. I keep hearing about passe entertainment centers being utilized for new TVs. They just need to be thrown out.

• Like 1

Keep enlightening people that's what you do best! Most people do not structure their living room or bedroom for that matter for proper 4K viewing anyway. The percentages for proper 4K viewing are extremely low at this point but as long as they are providing a 4K television set with smart features it is still a win for most people.

My question to you is why are you limiting your choices with such a small set? There are many choices and the 50 inch range that have Roku built in. I keep hearing about passe entertainment centers being utilized for new TVs. They just need to be thrown out.

Not sure what their situation is, but for some it's just personal preference. Some of us are limited by the space available, too. For example, I cannot fit any larger than a 55" (and it would be tight) in the space where I have my TV in my apartment. Nothing to do with an entertainment center, everything to do with the rest of my living room furniture not fitting well (or at all) in any other arrangement. As a result, my TV space is confined by walls in a corner.

Sent from my iPhone using GottaDEAL

• Like 1

Not sure what their situation is, but for some it's just personal preference. Some of us are limited by the space available, too. For example, I cannot fit any larger than a 55" (and it would be tight) in the space where I have my TV in my apartment. Nothing to do with an entertainment center, everything to do with the rest of my living room furniture not fitting well (or at all) in any other arrangement. As a result, my TV space is confined by walls in a corner.

That is understood but is a generalization the situation that many homeowners face today. I can't tell you how many will not change their set up because of an entertainment center that is in the way. Believe it or not I have a television in the dinette area of the kitchen and I cannot go any larger than a 40 inch TV. Wouldn't you know it my predicament is a 50-inch that is cheaper and better will not fit there.

I do understand that size limitations based on wall space can and do exist but are sometimes mitigated by the proper wall mount that you buy.

• Like 1

Crap, that did not paste like I thought it would.  I'm sorry.

I haven't seen a listing of all the tvs on sale so I created this. I wasn't able to attach the excel spreadsheet, sorry.  I believe I got all of the HDTVs.75

$1,999.99

Have you checked out the charts StationChief does? It might be an easier way to see what you're looking for.  http://blackfridaycharts.com/

Have you checked out the charts StationChief does? It might be an easier way to see what you're looking for.  http://blackfridaycharts.com/

Oh my goodness!!  Yeah, that's way better!  Thank you.  I was looking for something like that as I knew there was something similar in years past and completely missed it.  Thanks!  I'll edit my crappy post with your link.

• Like 1

Just a quick caveat to the blackfriday charts - the resolution column for HDTVs is not accurate more than it's accurate.  It is only conveying what the silly marketing speak is that's on the box/in the marketing description.  If it's something you're concerned with, you can generally find the real refresh rate in the manual for the TV from the manufacturer's website or via sites like RTings.com.  And if you can't find it in either place, I'd assume it's only 60Hz.

That said, I totally love all the great information on those charts and appreciate all the hard work it takes to publish and maintain them.  I only have a problem with that one column.  :)

• Like 1

Just curious.....want a 50"-55" TV for my "office".  Looking to spend no more than $550.  I will avoid TV's from Sharp, Toshiba, TCL, Westinghouse, Element, Insignia, et al, for the most part.

From what I've seen at BB, Target, Newegg, Amazon, etc., the Samsung UN50MU6300 appears to fit my wants pretty close.  $424 from Newegg (although I wish it was avail. for that price almost anywhere else). 

Any better suggestions?  Did see an LG 55UJ6540....its HDR seems to work a bit better than the Samsung above, but its price is almost $600 and doubt it's going on sale.

Just curious.....want a 50"-55" TV for my "office".  Looking to spend no more than $550.  I will avoid TV's from Sharp, Toshiba, TCL, Westinghouse, Element, Insignia, et al, for the most part.

From what I've seen at BB, Target, Newegg, Amazon, etc., the Samsung UN50MU6300 appears to fit my wants pretty close.  $424 from Newegg (although I wish it was avail. for that price almost anywhere else). 

Any better suggestions?  Did see an LG 55UJ6540....its HDR seems to work a bit better than the Samsung above, but its price is almost $600 and doubt it's going on sale.

what about this one

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-50-class-49-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv/6029002.p?skuId=6029002

it will be $399.99 its on page 4 of their ad

Yeah, I saw that.  I've just become a bit leery of "Only @" or "Exclusive to" products, esp. when the item's description/pricing/etc. just happens to show up on a seller's site just before the BF ad hits.

Honestly, I'd rather buy a TV that's being sold already, just marked down, like the 6300.  Hopefully, I know what I'm getting, picture-wise.  And that $399 MU6070...it is tempting, but it gives up Bluetooth and has a color engine not used by any other set.  And while you can search up the model, it doesn't appear in any of Samsung's "normal" TV lineup.

But it's tempting, for what I'm looking for.

Yeah, I saw that.  I've just become a bit leery of "Only @" or "Exclusive to" products, esp. when the item's description/pricing/etc. just happens to show up on a seller's site just before the BF ad hits.

Honestly, I'd rather buy a TV that's being sold already, just marked down, like the 6300.  Hopefully, I know what I'm getting, picture-wise.  And that $399 MU6070...it is tempting, but it gives up Bluetooth and has a color engine not used by any other set.  And while you can search up the model, it doesn't appear in any of Samsung's "normal" TV lineup.

But it's tempting, for what I'm looking for.

Many times the same TV is out there with a different store specific Model # and SKU. Not really sure why these stores/manu's do this but I don't really see many differences in a lot of them and you usually end up finding some info on some av forums where they say it's actually this model or this model and you can use these settings.

Ok so Sams Club now has the 55" Curved 6490 Series for Sams Club Price (not sure how much). How does this model compare to the 6500 series?

The specs can be found for these here: (Expand full specs....found near bottom of page)

6490-- https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/4k-uhd-tvs/55--class-mu6490-curved-4k-uhd-tv-un55mu6490fxza/#specs

6500--  https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/4k-uhd-tvs/55--class-mu6500-curved-4k-uhd-tv-un55mu6500fxza/#specs

What I noticed was the 6500 has Bluetooth, the 6490 doesn't, and the 6500 uses a color "engine" that's one step above the one in the 6490.

The specs can be found for these here: (Expand full specs....found near bottom of page)

6490-- https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/4k-uhd-tvs/55--class-mu6490-curved-4k-uhd-tv-un55mu6490fxza/#specs

6500--  https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/4k-uhd-tvs/55--class-mu6500-curved-4k-uhd-tv-un55mu6500fxza/#specs

What I noticed was the 6500 has Bluetooth, the 6490 doesn't, and the 6500 uses a color "engine" that's one step above the one in the 6490.

I think the 6500 has the better remote too.

Well in news that surprised me category:  My wife, who is not at all a TV person, wants to get an LG OLED tv. I'm not complaining by any means I just didn't see this coming. I guess I'm out for Black Friday and will wait and see if Cyber Monday/end of season will have cheaper prices.

• Like 1

Well in news that surprised me category:  My wife, who is not at all a TV person, wants to get an LG OLED tv. I'm not complaining by any means I just didn't see this coming. I guess I'm out for Black Friday and will wait and see if Cyber Monday/end of season will have cheaper prices.

They will. Especially before the superbowl. I love the oled, it just doesn't love my wallet.

• Like 1

OK I asked before but got no answer

Any thoughts on the following. It is for the bedroom. 

60" Hitachi at Sams Club

Samsung UN55MU6290

Samsung UN55MU6300

LG 55J6300

Any help would be appreciated   Thanks

I'm about the furthest thing from being a videophile (much more into audio, actually), but personally I wouldn't even keep the Hitachi on a list with those other choices.  I understand it's going in your bedroom, but do your eyes become less discerning when you enter the bedroom?  (Don't answer that.....lol!)

Myself, I'd look at the two Samsungs.  They are almost identical except the 6290 gives up all Bluetooth connectivity and has a much more basic remote.....the remote is what may tip the balance towards the 6300 in my eyes. 

The LG's good, but I more favor the Samsung.

I'm about the furthest thing from being a videophile (much more into audio, actually), but personally I wouldn't even keep the Hitachi on a list with those other choices. I understand it's going in your bedroom, but do your eyes become less discerning when you enter the bedroom? (Don't answer that.....lol!)

Myself, I'd look at the two Samsungs. They are almost identical except the 6290 gives up all Bluetooth connectivity and has a much more basic remote.....the remote is what may tip the balance towards the 6300 in my eyes.

The LG's good, but I more favor the Samsung.

I am not up to date on this stuff. Lol. Can you explain about the remote and the Bluetooth? We have cable with Tivo.

Thanks so much

Sent from my SM-G955U using GottaDEAL mobile app

Hmmm....not sure where this would best go. Is there ANY benefit of having 4K bluray player with a 1080p TV? Will the 4K discs look any better than the bluray? I'm thinking might be worth the difference for whenever I upgrade but not completely sold on the idea yet.

Hmmm....not sure where this would best go. Is there ANY benefit of having 4K bluray player with a 1080p TV? Will the 4K discs look any better than the bluray? I'm thinking might be worth the difference for whenever I upgrade but not completely sold on the idea yet.

I do not think it would matter much. I am not even sure it is worth purchasing with this setup, The 4K puts out 2160 and your tv max output is 1080. So the most you will get is 1080 as with your standard bluray player. It will only show a difference in my opinion if you got a 4k tv 

• Like 1

OK I asked before but got no answer

Any thoughts on the following. It is for the bedroom.

60" Hitachi at Sams Club

Samsung UN55MU6290

Samsung UN55MU6300

LG 55J6300

Any help would be appreciated Thanks

I agree with not bothering with Hitachi.

As for the Samsungs, I've been looking at these as well, so I went to see them on display in the store today. Rtings.com wasn't kidding when they said picture degrades rapidly when viewed at an angle. If you will have it directly in front of the bed, it will be a great TV. If it will be off at an angle, it won't be your best choice. In my observations, the LG or even a Vizio work better at angles.

I agree with not bothering with Hitachi.

As for the Samsungs, I've been looking at these as well, so I went to see them on display in the store today. Rtings.com wasn't kidding when they said picture degrades rapidly when viewed at an angle. If you will have it directly in front of the bed, it will be a great TV. If it will be off at an angle, it won't be your best choice. In my observations, the LG or even a Vizio work better at angles.

It is located directly on the wall from my bed.  The bed ends, then a space then it will be on the wall above my chest of drawers.  Right now we have a 55" TCL Roku piece of junk, that is why I am looking for a new one.  I love Vizio but he ones in that price range have ChromeCast and would rather not have to buy another Roku or Fire Stick to stream.