Official Black Friday TVs (HD & 4K) Discussion Thread

Brad

Must . Resist. 4K. (for at least another year. I'm trying not to buy one this year, lol)

That was really easy to do last year because still cost a little more than 1080p. This year, I feel like it's hard pressed to find 1080p. Next year, 4K might be dirt cheap.  The media and streaming may not be available yet, but there's really no sense in getting 1080p when there's virtually no cost difference to have the "futuristic"  :sidesplit  4K

Oh how I miss plasma :(

I'm waiting to see how the whole OLED thing starts to shake out with their yields finally going up which is helping to bring the pricing down. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to replace my 70" Vizio 1080P set in the living room the technology will be at a place where it's affordable for me.

I still regret not picking up the 60" Pioneer Plasma from Best Buy's Magnolia when they were closing them out.

...me too my friend... :(

• Like 1

That was really easy to do last year because still cost a little more than 1080p. This year, I feel like it's hard pressed to find 1080p. Next year, 4K might be dirt cheap.  The media and streaming may not be available yet, but there's really no sense in getting 1080p when there's virtually no cost difference to have the "futuristic"  :sidesplit  4K

You're absolutely right, that if all else is equal, might as well get the 4K - shouldn't hurt, right?  :)

But I encourage everyone to check the stats on RTings.com if you can.  There are dozens of ways one TV can be better than another.  Better contrast, color, response times, streaming abilities, reflection, frame rates, yes - even 4K.  But I'm not holding my breath on 4K being "just around the corner".  Remember, 1080P was released at least 10 years ago and still there are no broadcasters using 1080P.  Even if all the broadcasters agreed today that they would all start broadcasting 4K signals ASAP, it would take years to implement this as it would require enormous investments in hardware and software upgrades and massive efforts to train everyone on the new systems.  It's not like they can just flip some magical switch.  And as we've already seen, they would need to change the way in which Americans watch TV in order for them to even be able to see a difference (they'd need to sit much closer to the TV).  I've read that in places like Korea and Japan where they've already embraced smaller living spaces, they've already created an environment where the viewer is close enough to the TV to see the difference with 4K, so those places are already working on implementing 4K.  And that makes sense.  That's why here in America we made the move to 720P/1080i back in the mid 2000's as pretty much everyone could see the improvement.  It's just a harder sell now when the American norm is LARGE living spaces.

Yep. Been watching rtings.com a long while thanks to your posts in previous years here, Pnambic (thanks!). They have some really solid info. The trouble is when you get into store-specific models that you can't find the "mass-market" equivalent for. Also, there's the fact that rtings.com only has a limited number of makers/TVs on their site at the moment. For example, I have been unable to find any of the new Toshibas there, only one of the Hisense models, etc. They recently added one of the Element TVs, but have not rated any of the Insignias (I realize this is a BB-only brand, but you'd think the sheer audience of BB shoppers might warrant at least a look at 1 or 2 of them).

I realize some (many?) of these are not top end TVs by any means, but it would help those on a more snug budget (like I was at the time I bought this one) figure out what best fits the priorities they have in the moment. (Do I get the larger Insignia or the smaller Samsung? Depends on what matters most, obviously, but the site could help someone paint a clearer picture, no pun intended.) Definitely would have helped me in my rush buy, I'm sure, to have known then what I know now about refresh rates and such. I could've opted to, perhaps, go with a smaller screen size in the interest of a higher refresh rate that would have given me better picture quality for the things I enjoy watching most.

Now I'm using all the knowledge I've gained from you and others here, along with that site and other reviews to determine if any particular deal on a TV would actually be a deal for me or whether I should just keep looking. Not going to settle this time, as long as current set stays in good working order. My hunch, however, is that it's actually my cable box that's hurting my picture more than the TV itself. It may be a relatively new box (w/in last 2 years), but I know they're only broadcasting in 720p. That can't be helping.

In any event, I'm enjoying having the luxury of time to really shop thoroughly this time and invest in a good quality set, be it this year on BF or sometime in the not-too-distant future. 

• Like 2

Yep. Been watching rtings.com a long while thanks to your posts in previous years here, Pnambic (thanks!). They have some really solid info. The trouble is when you get into store-specific models that you can't find the "mass-market" equivalent for. Also, there's the fact that rtings.com only has a limited number of makers/TVs on their site at the moment. For example, I have been unable to find any of the new Toshibas there, only one of the Hisense models, etc. They recently added one of the Element TVs, but have not rated any of the Insignias (I realize this is a BB-only brand, but you'd think the sheer audience of BB shoppers might warrant at least a look at 1 or 2 of them).

I realize some (many?) of these are not top end TVs by any means, but it would help those on a more snug budget (like I was at the time I bought this one) figure out what best fits the priorities they have in the moment. (Do I get the larger Insignia or the smaller Samsung? Depends on what matters most, obviously, but the site could help someone paint a clearer picture, no pun intended.) Definitely would have helped me in my rush buy, I'm sure, to have known then what I know now about refresh rates and such. I could've opted to, perhaps, go with a smaller screen size in the interest of a higher refresh rate that would have given me better picture quality for the things I enjoy watching most.

Now I'm using all the knowledge I've gained from you and others here, along with that site and other reviews to determine if any particular deal on a TV would actually be a deal for me or whether I should just keep looking. Not going to settle this time, as long as current set stays in good working order. My hunch, however, is that it's actually my cable box that's hurting my picture more than the TV itself. It may be a relatively new box (w/in last 2 years), but I know they're only broadcasting in 720p. That can't be helping.

In any event, I'm enjoying having the luxury of time to really shop thoroughly this time and invest in a good quality set, be it this year on BF or sometime in the not-too-distant future. 

I agree. I am not one that sis close to a TV. Old school- was always taught to sit as far back as possible.  I want the 4K but is it really 4K- It is mostly just an updated 1080P but the testosterone in me just got to have it - SMH

• Like 2

Oh how I miss plasma :(

I'm waiting to see how the whole OLED thing starts to shake out with their yields finally going up which is helping to bring the pricing down. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to replace my 70" Vizio 1080P set in the living room the technology will be at a place where it's affordable for me.

I still regret not picking up the 60" Pioneer Plasma from Best Buy's Magnolia when they were closing them out.

We did see Frys shake things up earlier in the year, which leads me to believe that lower prices are coming this year.

• Like 2

We did see Frys shake things up earlier in the year, which leads me to believe that lower prices are coming this year.

Ya I think they are starting to come down a decent amount. Yields are starting to improve on the panels so hopefully it will keep pushing the prices in the right direction.

• Like 1

We are still rocking a 720p Panasonic plasma from 13 years ago. Nothing is wrong with it, but it is starting to shabby compared to the newer ones and we could put the plasma at our cottage. This might be the year we replace it, but I worry about the software or hardware becoming obsolete. We tend to buy the best we can afford and then keep it until it breaks, so is there might be a possibility that whatever company we buy from stops supporting "the insides"? 

Same here!

It was given to us when the in-laws bought a new TV.  Love the Panny.  It is heavy and puts out some heat but I think the picture is still great.

We will be looking to get a bigger TV for the bedroom.  We have a 15 year old 26 inch Aquos that still works fine but it's time for something larger.

• Like 1

Same here!

It was given to us when the in-laws bought a new TV.  Love the Panny.  It is heavy and puts out some heat but I think the picture is still great.

We will be looking to get a bigger TV for the bedroom.  We have a 15 year old 26 inch Aquos that still works fine but it's time for something larger.

Don't be shy when it comes to a larger TV for the bedroom. I always recommend a 55" TV because of the distance to the bed, but be sure to measure and consult the chart that was talked about. Another thing to consider is the bargain 4k TVs that will have Roku built in. Women absolutely love the ease of operation of a Roku and integrated with a TV makes a happy wife.

• Like 2

Don't be shy when it comes to a larger TV for the bedroom. I always recommend a 55" TV because of the distance to the bed, but be sure to measure and consult the chart that was talked about. Another thing to consider is the bargain 4k TVs that will have Roku built in. Women absolutely love the ease of operation of a Roku and integrated with a TV makes a happy wife.

If I can get a bigger non-smart 1080 cheaper than a smaller 4K smart TV, that's the route I'm going to take.  We already have a Roku box that everyone in the family can operate and my wife is not at all interested in the latest and greatest.  She would just like a larger TV.  It will only be used for streaming.

• Like 1

I think in the last couple of weeks Best Buy had a 50" or 55" Roku streaming TV for under $400.00 .   This is definitely on my list this year, and it seemed to be a good deal.  I did not buy it, however, as I am hoping for a better price on BF.    Do you think a lower price might be expected?  

• Like 1

If I can get a bigger non-smart 1080 cheaper than a smaller 4K smart TV, that's the route I'm going to take.  We already have a Roku box that everyone in the family can operate and my wife is not at all interested in the latest and greatest.  She would just like a larger TV.  It will only be used for streaming.

I like your approach, but I firmly believe that similar deals will be possible whether you choose 1080p or 4k. It will be a buyers market below 60".

• Like 1

I think in the last couple of weeks Best Buy had a 50" or 55" Roku streaming TV for under $400.00 .   This is definitely on my list this year, and it seemed to be a good deal.  I did not buy it, however, as I am hoping for a better price on BF.    Do you think a lower price might be expected?  

Definitely! There are some TCL 4k models which have garnered a lot of fans this year. Look for a similar model with a Roku built in. The cheaper one will not have Dolbyvision,(may of may not have HDR) but for bedroom viewing it is not a deal-breaker for most. Last year, Best Buy sold a Westinghouse 4k baseline TV for around $300, but Rokus are cheap!

I haven't been in the market for a new TV during BF for years but this year I am. Hoping I can get something 55/60 inch in the $300 range. Turning my formal dining into a man cave [emoji23] Not sure if that price is realistic but here's hoping

Almost every week here at Sams Club a few open box specials meet that requirement you are listing.  Know something will come. 

For those who just can't wait I have my old story for you;  Went to Sam's, was browsing the open box/close out corner and came across a 55" LG 1080p  marked down to $330  (this was about 4 years ago now, so big score!!!).  Looked closer and it stated one of the 3 HDMI inputs was not working correctly.  As this was going in the bedroom I only needed 2 (bluray and cable) so I bought it.  Got it home and realized display settings for that HDMI input was set really off on color and contrast and immediately had a brand new perfect set with 3 working ports at an amazing price. 

• Like 1

Almost every week here at Sams Club a few open box specials meet that requirement you are listing.  Know something will come. 

For those who just can't wait I have my old story for you;  Went to Sam's, was browsing the open box/close out corner and came across a 55" LG 1080p  marked down to $330  (this was about 4 years ago now, so big score!!!).  Looked closer and it stated one of the 3 HDMI inputs was not working correctly.  As this was going in the bedroom I only needed 2 (bluray and cable) so I bought it.  Got it home and realized display settings for that HDMI input was set really off on color and contrast and immediately had a brand new perfect set with 3 working ports at an amazing price. 

Got to love deals like that. :)

• Like 1

I like your approach, but I firmly believe that similar deals will be possible whether you choose 1080p or 4k. It will be a buyers market below 60".

I agree with you.  This is going to be a good year for TV buyers.

• Like 1

I hope so, looking for a good one myself but have prepared for the worst case scenario and will be buying one either way.

Even in the worst-case scenario I anticipate you will be pleasantly surprised.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using GottaDEAL mobile app

I'm already seeing decent 4K sets for sub-$400 in the 50" range.

Looking back at last year's BB ad, now kicking myself I didn't pull the trigger on that Samsung they had for sub-$400. Was a killer deal then, still a pretty good deal today. Hoping for something similar this year. Won't pass up another deal like that. 

This TV is listed today

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192339250513?rmvSB=true

What do you guys think about the price? Wait for BF or buy now?

Since it is coming from Best Buy I would hold off on anything in that category since you'll probably be either price adjusting or returning the set. You are definitely with within most return windows if you should decide to keep it. Be sure to check your own status because Elite members has a more gracious return window. I do like the Roku feature of any TV but I believe that you can get a better 55 inch TV come Black Friday that may even have HDR and better refresh rate

• Like 1

Since it is coming from Best Buy I would hold off on anything in that category since you'll probably be either price adjusting or returning the set. You are definitely with within most return windows if you should decide to keep it. Be sure to check your own status because Elite members has a more gracious return window. I do like the Roku feature of any TV but I believe that you can get a better 55 inch TV come Black Friday that may even have HDR and better refresh rate

Thank you!!

It's also listed directly on the bestbuy.com site for the exact same price right now. Has been for a little while now. (I verified the model numbers matched.) The "was" price is $499.99 but I haven't seen that model above $400 in at least a solid month. (Nope, I'm not obsessing over my TV shopping... Not at all...  :2roller: )

• Like 1

It's also listed directly on the bestbuy.com site for the exact same price right now. Has been for a little while now. (I verified the model numbers matched.) The "was" price is $499.99 but I haven't seen that model above $400 in at least a solid month. (Nope, I'm not obsessing over my TV shopping... Not at all... :2roller: )

You should see that same shell game of a $50 variance throughout the month of November leading up to Black Friday

• Like 1

The Kohl's ad is out, and there is a Samsung 55" for $499. From all appearances, the UN55KU6290 is a 4K Smart 2016 model, has 120 motion rate, and HDR with local dimming. There are competing models out there that are cheaper right now, like the TCL brand with HDR for $450. Keep in mind that TCL sells a Dolbyvision model as well, and this is not it! For the uninformed if you hear HDR, it generally means the open-source HDR10 standard. This is not a bad thing at all because most of the HDR content is from HDR10. The Xbox One will only pass HDR10, so do not buy one thinking you can watch Dolbyvision 4K movies as it will display them in HDR10 only. This is still a great thing! I own both formats, so feel free to ask me if you need help.

While I am not crazy happy on the price of the Samsung, you are getting a brand name, HDR and $150 Kohl's cash back. I would buy a 4K player like the one pictured since it should bring affordability into the living room this year and $30 back to boot. 

• Like 1