How do you prepare for Black Friday?

budgetsRsexy

It looks like I will have a reason to go out BF shopping this year (last year my family tried out a no gift Christmas but things are changing this year and I will have presents to shop for). I'm excited about this but at the same time it makes me nervous as I have been told that the fall can be a very busy time of year for my new job position. I would hate for BF to somehow sneak up on me and find myself unprepared for the big day. How do you prepare for BF? Is there anything I can do before the ads even leak? Any suggestions are welcome.
  • Like 2

Its always good to start with a list

1. Who you are buying for

2. price limit per person or per gift

3. gift ideas for each person you are buying for and if you are not sure what they want or would like then ask.

Once you have a list then start keeping an out for sales and when BF gets closer compare your list to what is on sale at stores near you. Sometimes you can find better deals in the weeks leading up to BF.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the input so far guys! I started putting together a small binder so I can be more organized and have all the different lists that are usually strewn about my house, purse and car all in one location so nothing gets overlooked, lost or forgotten.

So far I have color coded tabs for each person and behind that printouts where I can brainstorm gift ideas and other pages for tracking purchases (as well as total budget) and a pocket page to keep receipts in.

I like the idea of keeping track of household items that need to be replaced or upgraded too. I'll have to create a new tab for that in the binder. Thanks tifflan83!

Any other ideas on what should get added to the binder?

Edited by budgetsRsexy

I like your ideas budgetsRsexy and am going to try out the notebook thing this year to keep myself more organized.  I don't have many gifts to buy but I do use the BF sales to replace or get new household and personal items and I end up having lists everywhere before its over.  

Do you have gifts that will have to be shipped?  If so you could add a section to your notebook as a way to keep track of that.  

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so since my last post I have added a tab for coworkers and boss gifts, a sheet to keep track of store BF hours, a sheet for coupon/shipping codes for online shopping and a pocket page for any coupons for in store shopping.

Once the postal service puts out their recommended shipping deadlines I'll add that to the binder too, thanks HanShotFirst.

• Like 2

Ok, so since my last post I have added a tab for coworkers and boss gifts, a sheet to keep track of store BF hours, a sheet for coupon/shipping codes for online shopping and a pocket page for any coupons for in store shopping.

Once the postal service puts out their recommended shipping deadlines I'll add that to the binder too, thanks HanShotFirst.

That sounds WAY too organized to be chaotic and fun :sidesplit

• Like 1

I use the santa's little helper app on my iPhone. I only buy for my 4 children, DH, and my mom. I've already started adding gifts that I think they will like; I will finalize the kids once I receive their lists.

Once the ads come out, I maintain a list of stores/sites that I plan on hitting and what I need for each of them. The only other thing I have is a running list of all online purchases and I mark them off as they are delivered.

• Like 1

I just put gift ideas on a wishlist at Amazon and use a price tracker to determine what price to buy at. I keep my eyes open all year, because price drops happen. I just bought a tool chest today for $30 for my nephew's gift, just because it was on sale and I had a $10 coupon. I very much doubt it will be cheaper closer to Christmas, but I logged on here to check last years ads to be sure. I have noticed the past 2 years that everything I wanted to buy was cheaper the week before BF and then again a few days after BF. Know your prices!

I think the most important rule is to start saving up cash/credit card points/gift cards now so you have it when you need it.

I have a running list year round that I put down ideas as I hear those I buy for say they like something. Makes it a lot easier come shopping time.

Leading up to BF I create a binder to keep my lists and coupons. If I see a hot item or something on clearance before hand, I'll buy it. I just bought the switch because I don't want to deal with it being sold out at Christmas.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Irma our funds have been depleted and it looks doubtful that we will have any before the time comes this year, so much more money has to go out yet just to get back to where we were before the storm came.

That's horrible. How much damage did you have? Our family still in FL got off pretty luck, worst damage was 6 trees down one of which damaged their well head. They have that fixed now though. Then of course all the food that went bad with no power.

That's horrible. How much damage did you have? Our family still in FL got off pretty luck, worst damage was 6 trees down one of which damaged their well head. They have that fixed now though. Then of course all the food that went bad with no power.

its not storm damage but we had no power all week this week so we lost all our food, nobody had gas most places no power so we couldnt run our generator, our car broke down trying to escape, its going to be a costly repair. we had to eat out every day so funds are gone, have to figure out how to replace all the food we lost. Most of the stores here have yet been able to restock so food is slim pickings still

we got lucky as far as damage was concerned we have lots of tree debris in our yard but no damage.

its not storm damage but we had no power all week this week so we lost all our food, nobody had gas most places no power so we couldnt run our generator, our car broke down trying to escape, its going to be a costly repair. we had to eat out every day so funds are gone, have to figure out how to replace all the food we lost. Most of the stores here have yet been able to restock so food is slim pickings still

we got lucky as far as damage was concerned we have lots of tree debris in our yard but no damage.

Sorry to hear that. Not fun when you have to replace all the food in the house and it's NOT cheap. We lost all of ours 4-5 years ago and we nothing in the pantry at that point either due to a different incident that had happened just before this. Once we went shopping I wanted to throw up when I saw the total and that didn't get us anywhere close to replacing what we had (had a separate freezer filled with meat).

So sorry to hear that, but I am glad you're alright and you had no damage to the house.

Your homeowners insurance policy may cover the lost food.

BF is just another sale to me.  I actually enjoy this part more than the actual shopping.

I start by compiling a list of people I need to buy for.  I assign a spend limit to each.  Then I brainstorm gift ideas and add them to my list (spreadsheet).  For each gift idea, I research good brands and best past prices for each.  Then I set up alerts on all the deal sites.  Once I get within the return/rebuy period, I start buying.  If a better deal comes along, I negotiate a price adjustment or return and re-buy.  

• Like 2

I create a list of things I'd like to get everyone and then scour the ads to see where I can get the best deal.  I know most stuff is online now, but I still go out for the paper so I can see, feel, and taste the ads as well, in case there was any stone left un-turned. ;)

There's just something about those paper ads isn't there?  I'm the same way.  Need the actual paper in my hand.  

• Like 2