Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

iMac - difference between Pro and normal + and -

11 replies to this topic

#1 alisonBrowne25  OFFLINE  

alisonBrowne25

• PipPipPip
  • 4 Posts
  • Member since 2017

Posted Mar 15, 2017 - 10:52 am

I'm Planning to buy iMac. Did it have point to spend more money to buy Pro or no? :loli:

#2 jrs775  OFFLINE  

jrs775

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Jun 3, 2017 - 12:34 am

It all depends on what your using it for.
Marijuana is the gateway drug to the refrigerator.

#3 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jun 12, 2017 - 6:26 am

(sorry for the necro-post - didn't notice the age of the original post before replying)

I think most people would say there's no point in buying an iMac over a PC, so it just depends on your perspective.

Similarly spec'd Windows PC

23" 1080P display, Intel Core i5 (dual core) processor, 8GB of RAM, 1TB HDD, onboard graphics, builtin WiFi and Bluetooth 4.2 --> $725

http://store.hp.com/...-in-one-24-a210

Entry level iMac

21" 1080P display, Intel Core i5 (dual core) processor, 8GB of RAM, 1TB HDD, onboard graphics, builtin WiFi and Bluetooth 4.2 --> $1100

https://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

iMac Pro 

27" 5K display, 8 core processor, 32GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Radeon Pro Vega 56 (8GB) graphics, builtin WiFi and Bluetooth 4.2 --> you might need a second mortgage on your house...they're saying pricing will START at $5,000 and go up from there.

https://www.wired.co...17/06/imac-pro/

My brother is a professional graphic artist and loves his Macs.  His Mac Pro (probably 4 years old now) cost a little over $16,000 spec'd out.  Was it worth it for him?  Maybe?  Maybe his Mac saved him enough time over the years in improved rendering speed and such to pay for itself.  If you NEED to do something that Macs do better, then get a Mac.  But if you NEEDED a Mac, then I would expect that you'd already know WHY you needed that Mac and would know how to quantify whether an iMac or an iMac Pro were the best fit for you.  If all you're doing is browsing the web and checking email, you really don't need to spend the extra money on a Mac of any sort.  It's just a fashion statement at that point.  But maybe the image of having more money than you know what to do with is the image you're trying to project, which is cool, and in which case definitely go for the iMac Pro. 

Edited by Pnambic, Jun 12, 2017 - 6:28 am.

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#4 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 1,642 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jun 12, 2017 - 11:23 am

(sorry for the necro-post - didn't notice the age of the original post before replying)

I think most people would say there's no point in buying an iMac over a PC, so it just depends on your perspective.

Similarly spec'd Windows PC

23" 1080P display, Intel Core i5 (dual core) processor, 8GB of RAM, 1TB HDD, onboard graphics, builtin WiFi and Bluetooth 4.2 --> $725

http://store.hp.com/...-in-one-24-a210

Entry level iMac

21" 1080P display, Intel Core i5 (dual core) processor, 8GB of RAM, 1TB HDD, onboard graphics, builtin WiFi and Bluetooth 4.2 --> $1100

https://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

iMac Pro 

27" 5K display, 8 core processor, 32GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Radeon Pro Vega 56 (8GB) graphics, builtin WiFi and Bluetooth 4.2 --> you might need a second mortgage on your house...they're saying pricing will START at $5,000 and go up from there.

https://www.wired.co...17/06/imac-pro/

My brother is a professional graphic artist and loves his Macs.  His Mac Pro (probably 4 years old now) cost a little over $16,000 spec'd out.  Was it worth it for him?  Maybe?  Maybe his Mac saved him enough time over the years in improved rendering speed and such to pay for itself.  If you NEED to do something that Macs do better, then get a Mac.  But if you NEEDED a Mac, then I would expect that you'd already know WHY you needed that Mac and would know how to quantify whether an iMac or an iMac Pro were the best fit for you.  If all you're doing is browsing the web and checking email, you really don't need to spend the extra money on a Mac of any sort.  It's just a fashion statement at that point.  But maybe the image of having more money than you know what to do with is the image you're trying to project, which is cool, and in which case definitely go for the iMac Pro. 

I can't really say for me it's a status thing. I prefer the OS. I still use Windows for work though. I was a Unix person, Linux person and I still do a lot of things through terminal on MacOS. Hard to hardware ya they are more expensive, they have some cool things and some useless things. To be honest my Macbook Air is in a case so unless I have it open you don't even know it's a MAC.

#5 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,028 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jun 12, 2017 - 1:09 pm

Yea, but you can run MacOS on non-Mac PCs.  

And MacOS is really just an expensive flavor of Linux as I'm sure you know.  :D

It's OK to have status symbols!  Ever owned a pair of Air Jordans?  I know I did.  Did they really make us jump higher?  ;)

#6 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 1,642 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jun 13, 2017 - 10:40 am

Yea, but you can run MacOS on non-Mac PCs.  

And MacOS is really just an expensive flavor of Linux as I'm sure you know.   :D

It's OK to have status symbols!  Ever owned a pair of Air Jordans?  I know I did.  Did they really make us jump higher?   ;)

Ya they made me jump REALLY high. On no wait they didn't lol.

Yes it's just a unix at it's core. I still support Linux boxes it's what my web server runs on lol.

#7 freesia39  OFFLINE  

freesia39

• 12,036 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Jun 14, 2017 - 6:45 am

If all you're doing is browsing the web and checking email, you really don't need to spend the extra money on a Mac of any sort.  It's just a fashion statement at that point.  But maybe the image of having more money than you know what to do with is the image you're trying to project, which is cool, and in which case definitely go for the iMac Pro. 

As a 100% Apple devices person, I don't see it necessarily as a status symbol. I've had my Macbook Pro at home for about three or four years now, it runs fine and didn't come with the associated problems that came with time with my old Windows laptop.  That said, as a non-power user at home, either device probably could have worked, but I went with the Macbook because it fit my needs, I didn't have to worry about anything, and it was on sale that day. 

I do like (most of the time) how all my devices are integrated (sometimes a bit too much, my iPad "rang" during a meeting when someone called my phone) but I can iMessage and text from my computer, ipad or shockingly, my actual iPhone. 

Maybe it's because I'm from California, specifically the Bay Area and every other computer (fine, 80%) you see is some type of Mac something, so I'm blending with the crowd, but if you can afford a Mac and don't mind starting over on some of your software (like Office, or you just go to web based versions) I don't talk people out of the purchase - I just say I've had good experiences with my Apple products.

Now I see Best Buy has an Apple Watch on sale today. off to check that out.

GO BRUINS!

#8 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,028 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jun 15, 2017 - 12:08 pm

Yep, and neither LeBron nor Kevin Durant think they're on Super-teams.

http://www.espn.com/...cted-super-team

http://www.latimes.c...0613-story.html

It's all perspective, isn't it?

BTW, I have an iPhone 7 plus and received an Apple Watch for Christmas last year.  I have been very impressed by how much more useful the Apple watch is than I thought it would be.  Highly recommend.

I've been seriously considering petitioning for a macbook at work instead of my lenovo as MacOS is a flavor of Linux and I do a lot of work in Linux, so Macs make that more convenient (and work said no when I asked if I could install Linux or MacOS on my Lenovo - support issue).  But it does cost more.  And I don't know if I want to wager what little clout I have for this yet.  I'm not saying Apple is bad or makes bad products - quite the opposite.  My wife is actually pretty closely related to Mr. Steve Wozniak (not Christmas card close, but close enough that it only takes a couple clicks to see it on Ancestry.com).  Big fan.  But when it comes to the dollars and cents, it costs more to do the same thing on a Mac that you can do for less on a non-Mac.  So, like Air Jordans cost more to do the same thing as cheaper shoes, and Coach purses cost more to do the same thing as cheaper purses and Mercedes cost more to do the same thing as cheaper cars, I categorize Macs as fashion/almost lifestyle statements.

So if you don't call it a fashion statement, would you maybe instead call it a luxury item?

#9 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 1,642 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jun 16, 2017 - 11:25 am

BTW, I have an iPhone 7 plus and received an Apple Watch for Christmas last year.  I have been very impressed by how much more useful the Apple watch is than I thought it would be.  Highly recommend.

I've been seriously considering petitioning for a macbook at work instead of my lenovo as MacOS is a flavor of Linux and I do a lot of work in Linux, so Macs make that more convenient (and work said no when I asked if I could install Linux or MacOS on my Lenovo - support issue).  But it does cost more.  And I don't know if I want to wager what little clout I have for this yet.  I'm not saying Apple is bad or makes bad products - quite the opposite.  My wife is actually pretty closely related to Mr. Steve Wozniak (not Christmas card close, but close enough that it only takes a couple clicks to see it on Ancestry.com).  Big fan.  But when it comes to the dollars and cents, it costs more to do the same thing on a Mac that you can do for less on a non-Mac.  So, like Air Jordans cost more to do the same thing as cheaper shoes, and Coach purses cost more to do the same thing as cheaper purses and Mercedes cost more to do the same thing as cheaper cars, I categorize Macs as fashion/almost lifestyle statements.

So if you don't call it a fashion statement, would you maybe instead call it a luxury item?

I would definitely say they are luxury items, they are great machines and because of the overall design of he hardware and software they seem to outlast my windows machines and by this I mean the point in time where they just seem too slow to be really useful. My wifes MacBook I bought her in I think it was 07 or 08 is now getting to that point where it's FAR slower than my MacBook Air which is a 14 model. My main reason for going with the air is I was doing some iOS development at one point and the machine was small and light so was easier to carry around than my monster of a 17" laptop I had. My back thanked me later, not to mention it was easier than having to build a Hackintosh again lol.

Now as for the purse thing you may want to watch that one, my wife would deem them as fightin words :)

#10 freesia39  OFFLINE  

freesia39

• 12,036 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Jun 17, 2017 - 3:02 pm

It's a luxury for sure, when you can buy another machine for about 25% less, but again, depends on your needs. If you're buying a machine for a person that's completely tech ignorant and you don't want to be on the phone with them 2-3x a week, a Macbook can buy you some peace.

Now, as a Warriors fan, that wasn't a super team. ;-) And I only say that because the Warriors drafted and developed Steph Curry, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green, and those three aren't #1 overall picks (Kyrie and Lebron are.) They replaced Harrison Barnes, another player they drafted, with a much better version. Otherwise... this team was built through years of awfulness and good organizational development and signing good quality veterans to come in off the bench. I was concerned that they'd never be able to replace Bogut from the 2015 championship run, but it worked out.

GO BRUINS!

#11 jrs775  OFFLINE  

jrs775

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Jul 26, 2017 - 7:51 pm

I still have my MacBook Pro 13" that I bought  in January 2011. Still running as good as new. Have never had any security on it. Just for kicks I installed an Anti-Malware program for Macs. I've  had it on my Mac for more that a year and it's never found anything. 

Currently on eBay a MacBook Pro with my configuration sold on eBay for $425.00. I paid $895.00 for it in 2011.

Marijuana is the gateway drug to the refrigerator.

#12 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,028 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 2, 2017 - 6:43 am

I still have my MacBook Pro 13" that I bought  in January 2011. Still running as good as new. Have never had any security on it. Just for kicks I installed an Anti-Malware program for Macs. I've  had it on my Mac for more that a year and it's never found anything. 

Currently on eBay a MacBook Pro with my configuration sold on eBay for $425.00. I paid $895.00 for it in 2011.

I see what you're saying, but I think this speaks more to how intelligently you browse the web and manage your emails than the technology you're using.  Give me a Mac and 20 minutes and I can get it a virus and a handful of malware trojans.  

For the record, I still have a Dell laptop that I bought back in 2009(?) that I run Ubuntu on now and it's awesome too.  Use any computer responsibly and it should last a good long time.

Edited by Pnambic, Aug 2, 2017 - 7:14 am.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users