Past Black Friday Experiences

Brad

Last year was my first BF.

My cousin and I arrived at Best Buy at 5:30 am and the lines were so long. I was like "I'm never gonna get that graphic card" and my cousin said "You're gonna get it because you have the ad before most people". Lines starting moving quickly. As soon as I got in thse store. I was trying to find the card, seconds later I got it. Then started going to the checkout. But Best Buy made a long line which made me lose 2 minutes.

After that, we went to Target where it was more calm. I bought a DVD player there then returned later that day. CVS was our next stop to buy some mini cooler. Next, we head off to Circuit City, where I bought 2 CDs and another DVD player. Top the day off with some Wendy's. Overall the day was okay. I hope this year will be better.

The worst was Best Buy 2 yrs ago in West Palm. We were 10th in line and by the time the store opened the line had circled around the building so that the people at the end of the line were actually near the front doors when it opened. As soon as they opened the doors those people stampeded to the front and it was mass chaos!! A radio station in the area was also there and thought it was funny to have saved one empty parking spot right up front (there were not others so you had to park 2 businesses down), and put one of their DJ's standing in it talking on a cell phone pretending to "save" the spot for a friend. It almost led to fisticuffs several times (though I guess it was kinda funny). Circuit City was the best, they gave us donuts, coffee, OJ and passed out backpacks and other freebies.

Last BF I was so excited that I pulled my minivan up to Kohl's and jumped out with my daughter and ran for the goods! A half hour later with bags in hand we were headed to other stores to see what we could find...but...the minivan refused to start. It's 6:30 in the morning and I debate wether or not to call my husband. I couldn't stand the thought of all those sales out there and me missing out...so I called him. He pulls up with toolbag in hand and sits in the drivers seat and checks things out. About 5 minutes later he looks back at me and says "All fixed! You forgot to put the car in park before you turned it off! It's still in drive, that's why it won't start!" This year I must remember no matter how exciting the prospect of BF is I must put the minivan in park before I remove the keys and get out. DUH!!

I remember my first BF a few years ago. I had no idea what it was all about. I was working overnight and got off at 6am. I thought no bid deal the sale runs from 6-10 plenty of time. By the time I got to Wal-Mart I had to park a mile away and then got only one of the three things on my list. Ever since then I get there before 3am just to be sure.

Last year had to be the smoothest easiest Black Friday I have ever done. I think after all these years of practice I have it down to a science. LOL

The first thing I did was to go to Wal-Mmart in September and put all my must haves in layaway, that way as things went on sale I could go in for a pricematch or price adjustment.

On Thanksgiving night, I put the kids to bed and then mapped out my game plan. At 3am I left the house and headed for Wal-Mart - ours is open 24hrs. Not a soul was there, parked right by the doors. I gathered up all the stuff I wanted to price match to other store's ads and everything from the weekend sale. I then scoped out all the blitz stuff so I knew what was where. I had more than an hour or so to kill, so I did my grocery shopping, paid for it and put in the car. When they unwrapped the pallets I grabbed the few things I needed and headed right to layaway where I had already left my cart. I was third in line. I put the new stuff in my layayway, pricematched and price adjusted and was out of there at 6:17am. I don't pick my layaway up till the last possible day, that way I can price adjust easily and I don't have to hide it all for very long.

I went home dropped off the groceries picked up my mil and sil and we hit all the other stores at a leisurely pace. I can't wait to do it again.

I started BF a few years ago. LAst year I was 7 months pregnant and supposed to be on bedrest. While that was not stopping me I was at WalMart at 430 to get the Nintendo Game Cube bundle and have them price match video ads from Target. The only bad part was the woman who PLOWED her cart into my belly twice. The second time I told her I was going to hurt her if she didn't get away from me LOL. I guess I was pretty loud because next thing I jnow I have gamecube and am on my way.

Next stop Kohl's I make it my busniess to know full retail of all Little Tykes and Fisher Price toys at all area stores so I can compare all BF ads and Kohls which does 50% off FP and LT toys every year. At kohl's by 615 and upon seeing I was very pregnant (I looked ready to deliver) I was pushed to front of jewerly line. Then off to Meijer by 7am and home by 8 to open my daycare (I told everyone it would be a late start day and no arrivals before 830) well they decided last minute not to come so I was back off with my two older children 6 and 2 in tow to the mall still plenty of good deals left.

Yes I am a certified crazy shopper. Some people drink I shop! Nothing beats the feeling of a great deal!

I'm waiting to see Kohl's BF ad! I usually love Kohl's as I have found some really great deals there :) Does anyone know if Dillards has a BF sale if so do you know what is on their list? Thanks

P.S. I finally figured out how to get my new Avatar! Yea :thumbsup::yelclap: for me !! It's my son at his first race this year at Dirtworld in Ohio :)

CC gave out donuts and OJ? i hope they do it again this year, I am usually at Best Buy in the morning....

my story was at KB toys...let me tell you, old ladies may seem nice before they open the doors, but when they start letting everyone in, watch out :eek: ....this was awhile back when they had a sale on tickle-me sesame street figures and those pocket gameboys for 10 bucks :jester:

I was at KB the year they sold the game boys. It was wicked. I saw the worst in everyone that day! LOL. Ladies who would look very passive and meek were pushing and yelling for one! They were behind the counter and that was the first thing I got. I made sure to ask. Those who didn't couldn't find them and panicked. Wow, that year was memorable.

Last year was my first BF experience. I waited in the long line like the others. One woman was commenting on the people still sitting in their cars. She explained that while we are waiting in line in the cold and rain, they will rush the door as soon as they open. I couldn't believe that people would be so rude. But, sure enough when the doors opened, here came all of these people running from their cars to the store. Unbelievable! I heard yelling etc. but no fights broke out. But, I can see how they would. I got what I wanted though. What a rush. Have been counting the days all year long. I can't wait! And yes I will wait in line with the rest of the civilized people.

My best BF was the first year I went. I hit KB Toys first at 5 am, but decided to leave right away cuz the line was horrendous and it was 1 person out 1 person in. Not worth my time. Headed over to Walmart, after waiting in the LONG line, grabbed my stuff there. Headed to Fleet Farm and was 4th in line, grabbed my stuff there. I was done shopping by 7 am and was at work at 8 am.

These succeeding years have been fun but haven't had the "rush" I got that first time.

I've been doing Black Friday shopping for about 6 years now :-) I absolutely LOVE it!! I think that the best one for me was 2 years ago. I got to Wal Mart and got the kids each one of the cheap DVD players and the bikes, and all the little appliance stuff for my inlaws and mother :-) Then I made it to Sears and got them the 23 inch TV's !! I got the last 2 in the store and stuffed them in the back seat of my KIA LOL That was fun!! I had to take them out of the boxes to make them fit. I bought a Jeep LIberty in April just so I could make all the stuff fit better this year--but now my kids want laptops. I already bought my daughter's--it's the Averatec from CC--I'm waiting for dell to put the laptops on a really good sale again (I had to wait for the cash) to get my son's. He needs the good video card.

Last year wasn't as much fun for me. We were celebrating Christmas at my inlaws and had to make all the santa stuff hide in the Kia's trunk so they got the Iquest and a palm. Not nearly as much fun for me!! I did get the 3 cd changers from Best Buy--but still not as cool!!

I've worked the past three bf days for Staples and I am going to open the doors at 6am this friday. It is fun to watch, but not fun to get mowed over by people trying to get in. This friday though will mark my last bf ad that i will work. I will be done with college this spring and won't be working retail much longer.

good luck getting your deals.

The worst experiece was my first bf. The local news paper put the ad for the following sunday in the paper on thanks giving day and put the bf ad out on bf. Their was much confusion and frustration with our customers. I've never been chewed out soo many times in my life because most of the sales were not valid yet in the sunday ad. ugh..