Sears & Kmart closing more stores starting in January

riven3d

They are closing two Sears in my area (Cheektowaga and Amherst)... I need some new household items, but I know what a "liquidation" sale entails so by the time I want to start shopping for items they will probably be very well picked over...if only everyone had the patience I do to wait until they went to at least 75-80% off there would be a better selection of items to choose from...sigh...

I heard there will be a lot of store closing for traditional retailers this year even though it was the most successful shopping year in a long time. Article I read said a lot of the stores will end up remaking themselves to add things you just can't get from places like Amazon (they used an example of trying out a treadmill). Was a pretty interesting article all in all. I honestly don't care much about K-Mart, so many have closed and the ones that remain open look like they haven't been updated since the 80's. You want your store to be a success why do you try making them look nicer. Now as for Sears that will make me sad if they go away. I have bought many things from them over the years and still tend to wander in there for tools (especially when they have a good craftsman sale).

We never had a Kmart near us - closest one is about an hour and a half away. We had a Sears at the nearest mall (about an hour a way), but it went out of business a few years ago. We had a "Hometown Sears" not far from here with limited items - but it went out of business last year... so we have NOTHING left... it's online or not at all - for the most part - I choose not at all - too much competition on larger items - and the smaller items that are on really good sales never seem to be available for shipping.

Hope they don't kill the warranty of it. I think spreading the craftsman brand to other stores will help it out though. Article I read (not WSJ as they block most of the article unless i sign in) said that the deal gives Stanley the rights to sell at stores outside of Sears/Kmart. Odd wording. Did they just buy all of craftsman including the manufacturing and such or did they buy rights to it?

Either way it goes it says Sears bought Craftsman for $500 in 1927 and just sold these rights for $900 Million plus a percentage of sales of the items. Sounds like a good investment to me. I think they should kill Kmart off and try to revive Sears itself.

• 4 months later...

It seems they decided to close even more stores, that will be closing over the next 3 months. I would have to go find the link to what stores are closing, it looked like there was a bunch in Pennsylvania and one or 2 in other states are the country

found the link

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/05/19/sears-closing-more-stores/101874868/

Kmart 

• 803 Martin Street S., Pell City, Alabama
  • 2222 E. Lincoln Ave., Anaheim, California 
  • 1460 W. 49th St., Hialeah, Florida .
  • 424 Dairy Road, Kahului, Hawaii  
  • 715 W US Highway 30, Carroll, Iowa 
  • 2660 Hylan Blvd., Staten Island, New York 
  • 950 Ridge Road, Webster, New York
  • 4480 Indian Ripple Road, Dayton, Ohio
  • 1 Millbrook Plaza Lane, Mill Hall, Pennsylvania
  • 300 Lincoln Ave, East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
  • 176 W Street Road, Feasterville, Pennsylvania 
  • 1011 Scranton Carbondale Hwy., Scranton, Pennsylvania 
  • 1801 Hydraulic Rd, Charlottesville, Virginia
  • 494 Elden St., Herndon, Virginia 
  • 17911 Pacific Ave., S. Spanaway, Washington 
  • 1837 Street Road, Bensalem, Pennsylvania
  • 16881 Conneaut Lake Road, Meadville, Pennsylvania
  • 33400 W. Seven Mile Road, Livonia, Michigan

Sears

• South Bay Pavilion, 20700 S. Avalon Blvd., Carson, California
  • Westfield UTC, 4575 La Jolla Village Drive, San Diego, California
  • 4250 Cerrillos Road, Santa Fe, New Mexico 
  • 290 Providence Highway, Dedham, Massachusetts
  • Northwoods Mall, 7801 Rivers Ave., North Charleston, South Carolina   
  • Aventura Mall, 19505 Biscayne Blvd., Miami, Florida
  • Valley View Mall, 13131 Preston Road, Dallas, Texas 
  • 3199 N White Sands Blvd., Alamogordo, New Mexico
  • Monroe Crossing Mall, 2115 Roosevelt Blvd., Monroe, North Carolina 
  • 273 Madonna Road, San Luis Obispo, California 
  • 5415 N.E. Antioch Road, Kansas City, Missouri 
  • Provo Towne Centre, 1200 Towne Centre, Provo, Utah

Thanks for sharing the link riven3d! From the list it looks like my area is losing the last Kmart on the east side of town which means we only have one left in the entire area. Store closings are going to impact the lines at the remaining store on Thanksgiving and BF. Depending on what's in their ads this year I might have to change up my normal order of stops
  • Like 1

I really wish someone would buy Sears and turn it back into something good. I loved the craftsman brand, we used to buy a lot of things at Sears when they had a good variety. Once Kmart bought them they seemed to stop upkeep and modernization of the stores (much like Kmart itself) and things went downhill from there (at least in my eyes). I liked that I could go into the store and buy clothes, tools, lawn equipment, decorations, appliances, electronics and so forth. I say this from the standpoint of I HAVE bought all of these things from them. While I love and use Amazon a lot I don't but things I feel the need to touch and see from them I do to brick and mortar stores for those. My choices are becoming more and more limited as time goes on.

• Like 1

We have lost one JC Penney's, one Sears and all four of our KMarts. Walmart has officially taken over my Thanksgiving Day.

The saddest part of that post, for me, is we don't even pretend to call it Black Friday anymore.  -_-

• Like 1

The saddest part of that post, for me, is we don't even pretend to call it Black Friday anymore.  -_-

Everyone needs to have little forgotten things. Kmart was the store that was open for such things as milk, sugar and etc. Now we have no smaller retailers to get things that are not attached to a gas station. That was the meaning behind my KMart and thanksgiving day comment.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There are 2 kmarts with in 30 minutes from my house and both are staying open. I used to shop a lot at kmart, clearance sales through out the year, Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday but last year I skipped Kmart all together and haven't bought anything there in a while. Even their clearance sales have not been as good as in the past. Was thinking about stopping there sometime in the next week or 2.

I think the large issue with both Kmart and Sears has been their inability to update their stores. I would venture to say that many of them look as if they haven't been updated since the 70's/80's. Sears wasn't as bad but Kmart started looking flat out trashy. You want to compete with Target and Walmart then update your stores inside and out. We used to have a Walmart that was really old looking and dumpy near us, we rarely went there and it was never super busy, they built a new one and closed that one. Once the new one opened the store (just down the street) was/is always busy now. Kmart that was in the same area they ended up just closing the place down and it eventually ended up becoming some type of gym. I really wish someone with some decent sense of retail trends and such would buy them out and save both of the stores. Many say oh Amazon and online are killing them, while it may be taking sales away Walmart and Target aren't closing hundreds of stores a year, they seem to know how to make it work.

Some locations are a franchise so those will be the last ones left until kmart/sears decides to pull the plug.

My local kmart is a franchise store but the place is so old I haven't been in it the past few years now, when I do drive by it there is only a couple cars in the parking lot

Sent from my LG-K330 using GottaDEAL mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the next round announcement

Sears Holdings is closing 43 more stores in the US, in addition to the 265 closings that had already been announced this year

The company announced the latest closures on Friday.

The new list of closures includes 35 Kmart stores and eight Sears stores. All the stores will close in early October except the Sears store in Schererville, Indiana, which will close in early August.

The closings will bring Sears' store count to less than 1,140, down from 2,073 five years ago.

"This is part of a strategy both to address losses from unprofitable stores and to reduce the square footage of other stores because many of them are simply too big for our current needs," Sears CEO Eddie Lampert said in a blog post on the closures.

Sears announced its first round of store closures in January. Three more rounds have been announced since then.

Here's the full list of closures:

Kmart

• 104 Highway 31 North, Athens, AL
  • 635 Skyland Blvd., Tuscaloosa, AL
  • 3340 E Andy Devine Ave., Kingman, AZ
  • 2526 W Northern Ave., Phoenix, AZ
  • 4325 Broadway, Eureka, CA
  • 7200 Arlington Ave., Riverside, CA
  • 12412 U S 19, Hudson, FL
  • 4717 South Florida Ave., Lakeland, FL
  • 20505 South Dixie Hwy., Miami, FL
  • 8245 N Florida Ave., Tampa, FL
  • 2500 Airport Thruway, Columbus, GA
  • 1300 S Madison Ave., Douglas, GA
  • W-201 Neider Road, Coeur D'Alene, ID
  • 2828 N Broadway, Anderson, IN
  • 2520 Nicholasville Road, Lexington, KY
  • 2760 Frederica Street, Owensboro, KY
  • 140 Whalon Street, Fitchburg, MA
  • 1277 Liberty Street, Springfield, MA
  • 801 N Lincoln Road, Escanaba, MI
  • 1290 N Monroe Street, Monroe, MI
  • 1515 W Bell Street, Glendive, MT
  • 1000 3Rd Street NW, Great Falls, MT
  • 2975 E Sahara Blvd., Las Vegas, NV
  • 200 S Washington Street, Herkimer, NY
  • 601 Woodman Dr., Dayton, OH
  • 12501 Rockside Road, Garfield Heights, OH
  • 1801 W Alexis Road, Toledo, OH
  • 501 S E Washington Blvd., Bartlesville, OK
  • 2323-2327 N Harrison, Shawnee, OK
  • 4401 Buffalo Road, Erie, PA
  • 2011 Hoffmeyer Road, Florence, SC
  • 732 Old Hickory Blvd., Jackson, TN
  • 4670 S 900 East, Salt Lake City, UT
  • 3533 Franklin Road SW, Roanoke, VA
  • 2450 Foothill Blvd., Rock Springs, WY

Sears

• 1607 36th Street, Peru, IL
  • 757 E Lewis & Clark Pkwy., Clarksville, IN
  • 154 28B W Hively Ave., Elkhart, IN
  • 120 Us Highway 41, Schererville, IN
  • 2310 E Kansas Ave., Garden City, KS
  • 6945 Us Route 322, Cranberry, PA
  • 3060 Clarksville Street, Paris, TX
  • 7630 Pershing Blvd., Kenosha, WI

• 3 weeks later...

I hadn't shopped at Kmart for quite a while, then one day I decided to go and look for a certain brand of pants that my daughter likes to wear and I didn't know who else carried them. While I was there I happened upon a clearance sale on their nfl clothing and they had tons of Green Bay stuff!!!!  Woohoo!! I was able to get my hubby, my daughters and myself shirts, shorts, hoodies, pajamas, socks, etc. for about 70-80% off. I was ecstatic. Even ran to another location to find more. It was a happy day!   :runaway:   Now we're all set for football season.

I hadn't shopped at Kmart for quite a while, then one day I decided to go and look for a certain brand of pants that my daughter likes to wear and I didn't know who else carried them. While I was there I happened upon a clearance sale on their nfl clothing and they had tons of Green Bay stuff!!!!  Woohoo!! I was able to get my hubby, my daughters and myself shirts, shorts, hoodies, pajamas, socks, etc. for about 70-80% off. I was ecstatic. Even ran to another location to find more. It was a happy day!   :runaway:   Now we're all set for football season.

I'm not sure if I should cheer you or boo you here. CONFLICT

My savings side says YES great deal.

My born in Detroit, Lions fan side says BOOOO Packers :sidesplit

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I went to a KMart that isn't closing this week. It was the saddest retail experience ever. The store was dark, kind of smelly and needed a coat of paint. Everywhere. The poor kid working the register didn't have a clue how to do his job. How does a store like this exist in 2017? They did have the Lego set I was looking for that may be discontinued, so I at least had that going for me. I hope to never need to shop there again. It was not a pleasant experience at all!

I think the problem is that Kmart never decided to update with the times. Wal Mart has been doing it, Target is good at it. They survive today. Kmart needed to kill of some of the old stores build nicer newer modern ones (or at minimum remodel old ones) you know have the place not look like it's the 70's and we are all shopping there :)

• Like 3

I think the problem is that Kmart never decided to update with the times. Wal Mart has been doing it, Target is good at it. They survive today. Kmart needed to kill of some of the old stores build nicer newer modern ones (or at minimum remodel old ones) you know have the place not look like it's the 70's and we are all shopping there :)

You are absolutely right!!!! I don't remember the Kmarts in my area EVER being remodeled in the 20+ years I've lived in the area...meanwhile, several Wal Marts Supercenters have been built or been remodeled and of course Target cannot be outdone so they have kept up with the times... even the local Grocery stores have undergone some remodeling over the last few months, but Kmart, nope...still dark, dreary and outdated...yuk

• Like 1

You are absolutely right!!!! I don't remember the Kmarts in my area EVER being remodeled in the 20+ years I've lived in the area...meanwhile, several Wal Marts Supercenters have been built or been remodeled and of course Target cannot be outdone so they have kept up with the times... even the local Grocery stores have undergone some remodeling over the last few months, but Kmart, nope...still dark, dreary and outdated...yuk

Exactly, all of the super markets around us are either remodeling or building new centers and getting rid of the old. With all of that and Wal Mart and Target doing the same who wants wants to walk into a KMart that looks the same as it did in 1982. Doesn't make for a pleasant shopping experience. Had they updated and kept fresh like the others I think they would still be thriving or at least not dying the slow painful death they are now.

Exactly, all of the super markets around us are either remodeling or building new centers and getting rid of the old. With all of that and Wal Mart and Target doing the same who wants wants to walk into a KMart that looks the same as it did in 1982. Doesn't make for a pleasant shopping experience. Had they updated and kept fresh like the others I think they would still be thriving or at least not dying the slow painful death they are now.

Yup...not just that, but they are over priced on many items...granted I didn't shop there for most items, but it's sad because I could literally WALK up the street and around the corner to the nearest Kmart, but preferred driving to the nearest Target up the road or 15-20 mins to Wal Mart because it's more exciting...going to Kmart for me was a result of me being too lazy to drive any further...lol...their clothes as well as Sears were very out dated and unattractive for any adult woman under 80 years old...Thanksgiving/BF are my biggest shopping trips @ Kmart for the entire year and most of the items I get are the Christmas socks, pillows, jewelry, the washcloths they always have for $1.99 and other household items...if i get clothes it's children's clothing and toys...

• Like 1

Yup...not just that, but they are over priced on many items...granted I didn't shop there for most items, but it's sad because I could literally WALK up the street and around the corner to the nearest Kmart, but preferred driving to the nearest Target up the road or 15-20 mins to Wal Mart because it's more exciting...going to Kmart for me was a result of me being too lazy to drive any further...lol...their clothes as well as Sears were very out dated and unattractive for any adult woman under 80 years old...Thanksgiving/BF are my biggest shopping trips @ Kmart for the entire year and most of the items I get are the Christmas socks, pillows, jewelry, the washcloths they always have for $1.99 and other household items...if i get clothes it's children's clothing and toys...

Ya we end up there on BF to get things like Lights or some of the other things like maybe snow boots and the like. I just don't go there the rest of the year for things :)

I hold out hope that someone will come along and rescue the once great brands from the not so good people who run it now. I've heard rumors some of the old brands that went away are being resurrected such as Circuit City.