Official Black Friday Countdown/Anticipation Thread

Brad

96 days until Black Friday!

I would like to unofficially declare Black Friday season open!

Don't worry, I'm not going to post a countdown each day.  I just wanted to point out that you can now safely start buying televisions at Walmart and price match, return/rebuy, or simply return with knowledge of BF ads as Walmart has a 90 return policy on televisions.  Walmart ads usually come out around 11/10 -- 82 days from now.  Same for Best Buy.  TVs bought now can be returned if something better comes along.  (I have never returned a television bought this way, but I have enjoyed a couple price adjustments.)

The 55" TCL 55S401 HDR TV might be a great 'for now' set.  It's not on sale, but I think it is a bargain.  Rumor has it the price is about to be reduced.  If it happens within a next week of purchase, Walmart will refund the difference.  If it happens within 90 days, Discover Card (and many others) has your back.

The TV is $396 and gets good reviews...

http://televisions.reviewed.com/features/heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-high-dynamic-range-in-2017

I have been looking for an inexpensive television to hang on a wall in my pool room that is not convenient to coax or ethernet.  With its AC wireless, this set should be able to stream from a Tablo DVR or a HDHomerun EXTEND.  Plug in a 16g USB drive for 90 minutes of OTA recording.  Watched a football game on it last night and thought it looked great.  Also, tickled to discover that plugging in a 16g usb stick gets you a 90 minute pause/rewind feature.

Happy shopping.

• Like 3

I always divide my shopping into three parts...

1. Must haves
  2. Would like
  3. Opportunities

I have a list of 'must haves' which includes best historical prices, stores, price protection, and return window.  For most things the return window is extended from a certain date until after Christmas.  With televisions purchased at Walmart, that window opens in August.  With Best Buy, you can make the purchase and schedule delivery in the future (after or near to BF) to protect yourself from price changes.  A lot of credit cards offer price protection as well.  Would like stuff, I just watch for my price.  When it hits that, I buy.  In the weeks leading up to BF and the weeks leading up to Christmas, lots of bargains become available and I grab things that appeal.

My first HD TV was a 55" Samsung plasma.  I bought it in September and scheduled delivery for mid November so I could watch the BF prices.  We bought 32" LEDs for the kids rooms a couple years later and got two price adjustments from Best Buy before Christmas.  My 65" 1080p LG plasma and this 55" TCL HDR were purchases of opportunity from Walmart.  In fact, I was camping with the Boy Scouts when I got an alert on the 65" set two days before the Superbowl.  I purchased it with no research knowing I could cancel the order by simply not picking it up. (We love it!)

I call this situational shopping and find it very effective.   

• Like 1

After not doing a BF shirt last year, this year's t-shirt design has been finalized and the initial shirt order has been placed with the printer. Definitely the earliest I've ever done that but hopefully I'll get the shirts early enough where I can get them packaged and ready to ship before the ads start leaking and I get (even more) busy.

I'll post the design and open up orders in the next couple of weeks. As always we'll be giving away a bunch of them too and we'll start the first contest sometime next month, so stay tuned for that :)

• Like 9

Woo hoo! I'm also excited to see the shirts! I know a lot of people like summer but I'm a forever fall girl! Crunchy leaves, pumpkin spice lattes, and Black Friday are a few of my favorite fall things! Edited by BFgrl79
  • Like 4

It's September 1st and we have had "Fall" weather just about the whole month of August where I live...definitely ready to start thinking about BF...

You're so lucky; it's gonna hit around 95 degrees here again today and then start dipping down towards fall temps. Crazy Missouri weather. I'm ready to be done with the air conditioner for the year!

• Like 1

You're so lucky; it's gonna hit around 95 degrees here again today and then start dipping down towards fall temps. Crazy Missouri weather. I'm ready to be done with the air conditioner for the year!

95 is a bit much...lol...I would gladly have taken 80-85 though...but now that pumpkin spice everything is out, bring on Fall...lol

95 is a bit much...lol...I would gladly have taken 80-85 though...but now that pumpkin spice everything is out, bring on Fall...lol

Haha yep, we are cooling down here now, and I found some Pumpkin Spice oatmeal at the store the other day, so it's officially fall for me!

Edited by BFgrl79
  • Like 1