Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

WiFi & Router Help PLEASE!

4 replies to this topic

#1 Crue2001  OFFLINE  

Crue2001

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,993 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Dec 4, 2016 - 9:19 am

I'm so busy these days, I keep forgetting to come on GottaDeal!  Miss my daily visits!!

Okay, so we have a 25+ yr old, 2.5 story house (3rd floor is 1/2 attic, 1/2 finished space) about 3000 sq ft and our WiFi is awful.  I've called Comcrap many, many times and all they can say is, cycle the router, have you tried this, etc etc. and it never helps.  So, I bought an Almond Wifi Extender awhile back and placed it on the 2nd floor of the house, almost centered, so maybe that would help, esp. upstairs and on the other end of the house.  It doesn't help much at all. My oldest son spends much of his time home in his room and he's eating up my data on our mobile plan because he cannot connect to wifi up there.

So...I'm here to ask the experts!  :)

I need help figuring out a better Wifi/Router situation in our home so that we can have great wifi all over the house, at a cost of less than a gazillion dollars.  LOL  Comcast will come and put in hard line outlets all over the house for quite a hefty fee and charge for extra routers monthly, but I'm cheap and I hate Comcast, so I'm looking for a more affordable and workable solution.  I've seen lots of stuff online lately for new and improved wifi solutions (Google's new router, Nighthawk something or other, Eero, etc) but I'm not sure what to look for or what might work best for us.  We're being told, again by Comcast, that it's not their problem, it's the construction of our home, what's between the walls/floors/ceilings, etc that may be blocking our wifi signal to different areas of the house.  That may well be true, but how do we fix the problem??

So that's my problem/question...anyone have any ideas that I can try?  I'm open to buying better routers if they are going to help, but again, I just don't know what to look for in a router for this problem.

TIA for any help/suggestions!

Live, Laugh, Love...It's All Good!:D

#2 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 1,616 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Dec 4, 2016 - 3:48 pm

I have a Netgear Nighthawk and it has provided excellent signal. It's all around been the best router I've had to date. I would suggest trying it out, Nighthawk X4 and X6 are excellent and I believe they have out a couple of newer models that are even more powerful. You can also try out a WiFi Range Extender.

#3 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,019 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Dec 5, 2016 - 1:06 am

+1 on Nighthawk

I have a x4 - love it.

Most average wireless routers have very flat, horizontal, ranges.  They're not designed to go up or down well.

My Nighthawk does better than any I've ever had, but still, with all the devices I have connected at any given time (some combination of 4 phones, 6 tablets, 5 computers, WiiU, PS4, two bluray players and a smart TV), I bought a couple SolidMate PowerLine converters and it works great at getting a solid signal to my son's gaming computer on the other side of the house.  I think I got them from Woot for about $20.  http://computers.woo...ine-converter-1

Were I you, I'd probably see about getting a router for each level of the house.  And then use a Powerline converter to feed each of the auxiliary routers.

Also, read up on Wireless N vs wireless AC.  And find a router that can manage both types of devices well.  Some "AC" routers will drop all speeds to N level when any N device is connected to the network while others will manage them separately.

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#4 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 1,616 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Dec 5, 2016 - 6:08 am

+1 on Nighthawk

I have a x4 - love it.

Most average wireless routers have very flat, horizontal, ranges.  They're not designed to go up or down well.

My Nighthawk does better than any I've ever had, but still, with all the devices I have connected at any given time (some combination of 4 phones, 6 tablets, 5 computers, WiiU, PS4, two bluray players and a smart TV), I bought a couple SolidMate PowerLine converters and it works great at getting a solid signal to my son's gaming computer on the other side of the house.  I think I got them from Woot for about $20.  http://computers.woo...ine-converter-1

Were I you, I'd probably see about getting a router for each level of the house.  And then use a Powerline converter to feed each of the auxiliary routers.

Also, read up on Wireless N vs wireless AC.  And find a router that can manage both types of devices well.  Some "AC" routers will drop all speeds to N level when any N device is connected to the network while others will manage them separately.

Yes you want one that manages a combined signal network very well. Many have issues with the various signals and keeping everything connected. Nothing is worse than losing connection all of the time and at times having to reboot the router in order to get that signal back.

You can also use wireless access points if you can run even a single Cat5 to a section of the house. The larger the house and honestly the better the construction the more you have to do for good wireless coverage within the space.

#5 laddhorn  OFFLINE  

laddhorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Dec 6, 2016 - 5:53 pm

I also have a Nighthawk (original).  It has served me very well.  I have a 2 story (3000 sqft) and it is located at the back on the top floor.  I can still get wifi (not much, admittedly) in my driveway.  You may try to relocate your router (or place a new one) in the middle of your home.  If you only have one spot to put the Comcast router, you could use a powerline adapter to get your new router in a better spot, say centered on your second story.  You may need to move it around a bit to get the best coverage off of one router.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users