Thoughts on combining BF forums?

Brad

Anyone have any thoughts on possibly combining all the various BF forums on here into just one forum next year and then relying on the forum tools such as tags & prefixes (and descriptive thread titles) to keep things organized?

Or do you like having separate subforums for the major stores and for the posted ads?

Just wanted to get your thoughts. We've done it this way forever but if you'd rather just have one forum to check for everything, we could try that next year.

I personally like the separate forums, but that's probably mostly due to the fact that's what I'm used to and if it ain't broke don't fix it...?  What stirred this thought up?

Just thought of it while going into each different forum that had new posts this morning. Maybe more people would see all of the threads if they didn't have to click around into each subforum to find them all and we could possibly get more discussion on here. Or maybe it would be too confusing :P

• Like 1

Another thing... When I haven't been on for a day and there's 100 unread posts in 55 threads (across 10 subforums) that I can easily read through a few of the subforums at a time and get caught back up and when I don't want to read through each thread I can mark the rest of that subforum as "read", and it won't mark all 55 threads from the other subforums. Where, if they were all one, I'd lose that ability.

• Like 3

The one thing I can see would gain for you is the fact that when someone who hasn't done their homework/research just goes to a random thread (e.g. Target) and starts a thread called "Does WalMart price match on BF?", then you won't have to move it to the correct subforum and merge with the existing thread (that's been talking about WM PM for 2.5 weeks) and then have to answer questions from OP like "Does anyone know why my post keeps moving?"

The one thing I can see would gain for you is the fact that when someone who hasn't done their homework/research just goes to a random thread (e.g. Target) and starts a thread called "Does WalMart price match on BF?", then you won't have to move it to the correct subforum and merge with the existing thread (that's been talking about WM PM for 2.5 weeks) and then have to answer questions from OP like "Does anyone know why my post keeps moving?"

Bigger hammer to fix that? :sidesplit

• Like 1

My vote is for keeping the separate forums.  You might consolidate some of them. So, you might have a Walmart forum and that would cover general Walmart discussion, the leaked ad, and the online sales.  Personally, I would prefer you keep those separate too, but it's a thought.

as a moderator of this section of the forums, i can say I can see where Brad is coming from, I have moved and merged many of post to other forums this year because of members posting in the wrong section.

I like the multi-forum Setup but I think we might be able to do away with the Store Specific forums, maybe we can just have a "Official" discussion topic for each store in the Black Friday Discussion forum instead.

I dont mind having to merge topics, its when having to move post over and over again is a bit much.

Ive seen lots of post in the Online Sales forum this year that belong in the Black Friday area i guess some just dont even look at just post where they feel like it.

as a moderator of this section of the forums, i can say I can see where Brad is coming from, I have moved and merged many of post to other forums this year because of members posting in the wrong section.

I like the multi-forum Setup but I think we might be able to do away with the Store Specific forums, maybe we can just have a "Official" discussion topic for each store in the Black Friday Discussion forum instead.

I dont mind having to merge topics, its when having to move post over and over again is a bit much.

Ive seen lots of post in the Online Sales forum this year that belong in the Black Friday area i guess some just dont even look at just post where they feel like it.

I offered to help out here lol...

I prefer it separate too but I could see gettiong rid on the store specific forums and merging that into the main forum. Think the holiday one needs to stay separate. As someone else suggested, you can try it then ask everyone's opinions after BF 2017.

I have to say I like the separate forums.  Otherwise, there may be a lot of pins to keep the store specific discussion up top.  Then the other discussion may get pushed to page 2 or 3.  Which may loose some people's interest.  Example when people "google" something.  They normally do not go past the first page or two.  Just my humble opinion.  I'll join in no matter how it is :)

My vote is to stay the same but i could see some benefit to just having say all the Walmart discussions under a Walmart general subforum

I think the only possible problem with that is someone complaining in that mega walmart thread "why hasn't anyone responded to my question 40 posts up?!".. three times.  Once the sale starts, it moves quick.

What if we combine everything, And Make an individual Black Friday Deal Finder Section.  I see lots wanting deals and so they just post in one forum.  If we combine we can use the forum space for other things.  Threads for each store would work.  More ideas later but I'd say merge them, and allow the forum to be better in the long run.

• Like 1