Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

Gaming Desktop

24 replies to this topic

#1 ~Karen~  OFFLINE  

~Karen~

• PipPipPip
  • 4 Posts
  • Member since 2012

Posted Nov 14, 2016 - 7:25 am

My son who is 14 wants a gaming desktop.  He has been playing on his XBOX One but now wants a gaming desktop.  I know nothing about them, where should I start?  I’ve been reading online but it’s so foreign to me.  What would be a good one to start with that is under $1,000, preferably under $800.

#2 nisha98  OFFLINE  

nisha98

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 15, 2016 - 1:11 pm

I'm right here with you.  My 14 year old son wants one too.  He has been asking for one for a few years and I think this is the year I bite but I don't know much about computers.  He wants Alienware but those cost a ton or at least the ones that he has shown me (over $2k and I'd like to stay around $1K max).  However I don't want to waste my money and get something he doesn't want so I'll run anything by him first .  I know Dell sells Alienware but again I don't know enough about what specs are good enough and what could be upgraded later.  He has autism and can be very detailed orientated so I'll definitely have him sign off before I buy it.

#3 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 15, 2016 - 1:15 pm

Alienware is still a pretty good machine for those who want it built for them. Dell now owns them but they seemed to have for the most part let them run as they used to. What types of games do your kids like to play? Will help in determining what specs are more important.

#4 smorebore  OFFLINE  

smorebore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Nov 15, 2016 - 5:38 pm

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16883227443

I bought this for my son 4 years ago.  He was 14 at the time.  This computer has been great but unfortunately no longer available.  We recently updated the graphics card to keep up with newer games. That is important. I could not afford an Alienware. 

Newegg has many great deals on Black Friday.

#5 homedirt  OFFLINE  

homedirt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 17, 2016 - 4:12 am

I'd say build your own you can build a $2000 alienware for $1000 easy. You may have to skimp on the graphics cards slightly but not that much. It's also not hard to do plenty of tutorials out there.

#6 laddhorn  OFFLINE  

laddhorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Nov 19, 2016 - 12:07 pm

The easiest way to get a "gaming" computer at a discount without building one would be to pick up a decent one that is on a Black Friday deal.  It won't be a name brand, such as "Alienware", but it will run the same.

For example:

Dell Alienware Aurora listed here:  http://www.dell.com/...bmsm&l=en&s=dhs

Alienware Aurora $999...Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB memory, 1TB hard drive.  Video card:  Radeon RX480

I would suggest picking up the Dell Inspiron Desktop + Dell 24 monitor for $479. in the Dell Home ad (page 3) and THEN add a video card. 

Specs of Inspiron...Intel Core i5 processor, 12GB memory, 1TB hard drive. 

THEN purchase this video card:  http://www.newegg.co...7-296-_-Product

GeForce GTX 1050 $119.  You can also go with the next step up and get the GTX 1060 (Newegg ad page 4 $199).  This is a step above the RX480 in the Alienware.

Cost of Alienware desktop:  $999.  Cost of suggested alternative:  $698  AND you get a nice 24" monitor ($90 black friday stand alone deal) for free.

You will only need to install the video card (very easy).  If you really wanted it fast, pick up an SSD (Kingston 120 GB SSD $35 on page 4 of Newegg Black Friday Ad).  Windows 10 can be downloaded from Microsoft and installed for free (as it was originally installed already).  It is more work, but does make it significantly faster.

#7 nisha98  OFFLINE  

nisha98

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 20, 2016 - 5:17 am

Thanks!  I think this will be the route I take.

#8 ~Karen~  OFFLINE  

~Karen~

• PipPipPip
  • 4 Posts
  • Member since 2012

Posted Nov 20, 2016 - 5:38 pm

I cannot find that Dell Inspiron Desktop + Dell 24 monitor for $479. in the Dell Home ad (page 3)

The easiest way to get a "gaming" computer at a discount without building one would be to pick up a decent one that is on a Black Friday deal.  It won't be a name brand, such as "Alienware", but it will run the same.

For example:

Alienware Aurora $999...Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB memory, 1TB hard drive.  Video card:  Radeon RX480

I would suggest picking up the Dell Inspiron Desktop + Dell 24 monitor for $479. in the Dell Home ad (page 3) and THEN add a video card. 

GeForce GTX 1050 $119.  You can also go with the next step up and get the GTX 1060 (Newegg ad page 4 $199).  This is a step above the RX480 in the Alienware.

Cost of Alienware desktop:  $999.  Cost of suggested alternative:  $698  AND you get a nice 24" monitor ($90 black friday stand alone deal) for free.

You will only need to install the video card (very easy).  If you really wanted it fast, pick up an SSD (Kingston 120 GB SSD $35 on page 4 of Newegg Black Friday Ad).  Windows 10 can be downloaded from Microsoft and installed for free (as it was originally installed already).  It is more work, but does make it significantly faster.

#9 riven3d  OFFLINE  

riven3d

• 2,078 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Nov 20, 2016 - 5:42 pm

I cannot find that Dell Inspiron Desktop + Dell 24 monitor for $479. in the Dell Home ad (page 3)

http://blackfriday.g...cans/DellHome/3

first item on the page "A"

#10 ~Karen~  OFFLINE  

~Karen~

• PipPipPip
  • 4 Posts
  • Member since 2012

Posted Nov 20, 2016 - 6:02 pm

http://blackfriday.g...cans/DellHome/3

first item on the page "A"

Perfect, thank you so much.

#11 ~Karen~  OFFLINE  

~Karen~

• PipPipPip
  • 4 Posts
  • Member since 2012

Posted Nov 20, 2016 - 6:10 pm

What about this one from Newegg?

http://blackfriday.g...ans/Neweggcom/2

It’s the first one at $899?

#12 riven3d  OFFLINE  

riven3d

• 2,078 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Nov 20, 2016 - 6:17 pm

will let the others chime in on that im no expert on computers, it looks decent but i dont tend to look at Desktops so im not sure if the specs fit the price or anything

#13 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 1,702 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 20, 2016 - 6:40 pm

Not a bad machine, decent amount of Ram, 2 Hard Drives 1 SSD for OS will give you speed then the 2TB HDD for installing all the games and such. Video in it should be decent for games it's not top of the line but it's also not bottom. Reviews on it seem to be pretty good also.

#14 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,036 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 22, 2016 - 8:19 am

http://www.newegg.co...&Tpk=83-230-166

Pros:

I don't think you can go wrong with an i7.

Comes with 2 4GB high speed RAM chips with room for 2 more, theoretically maxing out at 64GB.

3GB Video card looks pretty good.

A 2TB HDD plus an SSD is sweet.

And that case is certainly....eye-catching  ;)

Cons:

You'll want to probably pick up a wireless network card. (not a big deal)  What is your current home router make/model?

The power supply is a bit lighter than I would have gone at 600W.  I would have gone at least 750.  But it's probably sufficient or they wouldn't be selling it this way, right?

The price isn't necessarily blowing me away, but it's not bad either.  This should be a great platform to play most of what you want right now and would be easy to upgrade in the future to keep it performing strong.

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#15 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,036 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 24, 2016 - 4:58 am

Excellent little read.

http://www.pcworld.c...-can-build.html

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#16 sassyaztec  OFFLINE  

sassyaztec

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 25, 2016 - 5:05 pm

For example:

thank you!  got the dell deal just now :)

#17 Crue2001  OFFLINE  

Crue2001

• 1,993 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jun 3, 2017 - 3:22 pm

Those in the know and that understand all the parts, would this be a good gaming & regular use desktop?  I know it says it is a gaming desktop & has great reviews, but will this be able to handle regular applications (Excel, Word, Music Composition software, etc) and store multiple games?

https://www.amazon.c...m_cd_al_qh_dp_t

Live, Laugh, Love...It's All Good!:D

#18 Ravenseye  OFFLINE  

Ravenseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jun 4, 2017 - 3:15 am

Hey Crue!

Any computer set up to handle any kind of decent gaming should easily be able to handle those sorts of software. The game software is quite hardware intensive, where the software you wanted to know about needs relatively less in that department.

That being said, if you are comfortable doing it, you can build a pc for far less money, but get very comparable equipment, than what the listed one is going for.

Merry ChrismaHanukwanzikayule Everyone! (I know it's early, but it's the best time of year, and it should last well beyond when it's fashionable!)

#19 Crue2001  OFFLINE  

Crue2001

• 1,993 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jun 4, 2017 - 7:36 am

Hey Crue!

Any computer set up to handle any kind of decent gaming should easily be able to handle those sorts of software. The game software is quite hardware intensive, where the software you wanted to know about needs relatively less in that department.

That being said, if you are comfortable doing it, you can build a pc for far less money, but get very comparable equipment, than what the listed one is going for.

Anywhere (you recommend) that I can look to see how to build one on my own...I'm not afraid to do it, but I have no idea how to do it.  :)

Edited by Crue2001, Jun 4, 2017 - 8:25 am.

#20 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 1,702 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jun 5, 2017 - 8:58 am

There are guides all over the net on how to build a machine. It's not really hard and as stated above you're going to end up getting more for less and this way you know the components going into it as well as the software installed. Do a google on it and you will find the guides telling you how to build. If you have questions on which components and such just ask here and there are plenty of people who will be happy to help out.

In essence it's pick your parts. Install what can go on the motherboard ahead of time, mount the board in the case, install drives and accessories, hook up all your wiring and then get ready to fire it up for the first time. You will need to install the OS (guessing Win10) and once that's up and running you can update all your software and drivers to the latest/greatest and you should then be on your way. This is the simple view of how to do it of course lol.

#21 Crue2001  OFFLINE  

Crue2001

• 1,993 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jun 5, 2017 - 10:31 am

Yes, I Googled and found a plethora of "guides" and can certainly follow their lead.  But what I did not find in my search (yet, at least) was a step-by-step on how to put it together properly.  For example, what has to be put in first, what has to wire to what , etc.  I'm confident that I can find & get the proper parts that match up to each other compatibility/capacity wise.  I'm just worried about the actual build and making sure things are put together correctly so as not to short/fry something at launch because I did/did not connect it properly.  LOL

#22 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 1,702 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jun 5, 2017 - 11:46 am

Yes, I Googled and found a plethora of "guides" and can certainly follow their lead.  But what I did not find in my search (yet, at least) was a step-by-step on how to put it together properly.  For example, what has to be put in first, what has to wire to what , etc.  I'm confident that I can find & get the proper parts that match up to each other compatibility/capacity wise.  I'm just worried about the actual build and making sure things are put together correctly so as not to short/fry something at launch because I did/did not connect it properly.  LOL

Well here is the usual order I go in.

Motherboard (bare)

Install CPU on MB (make sure it's seated well)

Install Fan on CPU (make sure you use good thermal paste if using aftermarket fan)

Install memory on MB (probably multiple sticks)

If your case has a removable MB tray you can do this all after mounting it to the tray. If not next step is mount MB to the case using the proper standoffs that come with the case.

Once MB is mounted I usually start to attack my wiring in the case and get everything routed nicely where it needs to go (at this point I leave the Power Supply out)

Connect all of the case accessory wires (power button, reset, USB, Audio, etc) to the motherboard

Connect any secondary fan wires to the fan leads on the MB

Mount your drives in the case (HDD, DVD etc)

Mount your expansion cards in the case on the MB (Video Card or anything else you may have)

Connect the HDD/DVD cables to the drives and other end to MB

Mount Power Supply in the case and route it's wires to needed spots (if modular only run what's needed)

Connect all the needed PS wires (motherboard connectors, video card, HDD's, DVD etc) the power connectors for the MB and Video should be labeled and your MB should also be labeled and have instructions on which goes where but it's pretty straight forward nowadays

Once you run all the wiring you should in theory now be ready to power it up. I usually go over the wiring and such one last time, make sure all the cards are seated right, check to make sure memory is still seated right.

Once it's a go you should be able to hook up your monitor, KB, mouse, power cord and anything else you might think you need and fire it up.

Now if you're like me 80% of the time go back and fix the wires going to the switches and lights in the case because you probably have at least 1 wrong :)

Not too complicated and biggest thing is just make sure everything is seated right cables all going to the right places and such.

#23 Ravenseye  OFFLINE  

Ravenseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jun 5, 2017 - 8:02 pm

A selection of great videos for you crue!

https://www.youtube....ep by step 2017

Some are very in depth, some not so much. An hour or two of watching these and you should be comfy enough to start planning.

www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/

Is a great resource as well. Read the sidebars, and then go from there if you want to ask questions.

Merry ChrismaHanukwanzikayule Everyone! (I know it's early, but it's the best time of year, and it should last well beyond when it's fashionable!)

#24 Crue2001  OFFLINE  

Crue2001

• 1,993 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jun 16, 2017 - 7:01 am

Thank you Kanyon71 & Ravenseye....got some reading up & video watching to do now!  Appreciate the guidance!!

#25 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 1,702 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jun 16, 2017 - 11:20 am

Thank you Kanyon71 & Ravenseye....got some reading up & video watching to do now!  Appreciate the guidance!!

No problem, always happy to help out.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users